ImageImageImageImageImage

Grange: Fans need to enjoy the ride, winning titles isn't easy

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Re: Grange: Fans need to enjoy the ride, winning titles isn't easy 

Post#81 » by toast » Fri May 8, 2015 2:34 am

Double Helix wrote:I agree with Grange here 100%. In fact, I've written as much on here. Giving up and starting over every time things look a little hard isn't sporting to me. These things are cyclical in my opinion. You go through some bad years to get some lottery picks. You develop them. You keep some or trade some but the goal after 5 or more losing years in a row should eventually be to try and get out of the basement. Give it a **** try! Move past the basketball on paper and the hypothetical and actually go out there and play some good basketball. Get creative. Try to build the best basketball team you can and climb as high as you can without brutally sacrificing future rebuild eras and enjoy some winning seasons and then, when the cupboards seem bare, and you're already sliding back with no real hope of moving any further up the pecking order, tear it all down, start over, tank as ruthlessly as you want, and be a really bad developing team for a few seasons in a row. Then, slowly rise back up again and compete. The issue is that the Raptors didn't tank hard enough for long enough last time. If you tank hard for a few years you improve your chances of a more exciting compete window later. No half measures. When you're bad be bad. When you're in your compete window don't be afraid to spend money or make a bold trade. But there needs to be a compete window eventually. It's not a video game where you just keep pressing "start over" every time you do something less than perfect out of the gate.

You can't always luck into generational talent and generational talent is often what it takes to win it all. It's simply not realistic to expect to deliberately aim to be as bad as you can be indefinitely until the ping pong balls start bouncing your way and you nab 3 x top 3s in a row that all look like top 10 players of the future. You might wait 10-15 years straight if the balls don't bounce your way. That's game theory thinking and nothing more. It's not practical so hoping for it and wishing for horrible basketball to be played in front of you for as long as it takes until you land a generational superstar is borderline bandwagon thinking. What you're basically saying when you demand that is that you don't love the game enough to watch it on any level below one that's highly probable to be the best in the league. You can do that right now if following anything short of a title contender is excruciating to you. Just change your favorite team to a new contender each season if winning it all is the only thing you enjoy about following a team.

Don't forget that as much as we all talk about the "tank it till you make it" mentality there's still the very real possibility that even if you do luck into the next Lebron... He and his people might not want to play in Toronto when he's an UFA. That's where building this brand up from one that always loses and barely feels a part of the association to something with even a modest winning history comes into play. The more sustained winning we do now (ideally going past the first round before the next rebuild) the more legit we'll seem to the next wave of phenoms, and their reps, and their families for the next rebuild era. We're trying to move past the idea of the Raptors as being perennial bottom feeders among the league that can never get out of the bottom. If you were a next generation superstar wanted by every team in the association would you really be excited over the challenge of being the first dude to actually do something meaningful on some cold weather team outside of the U.S. when you can play anywhere else due to demand? Let's be real here. Not all players better than Demar in the league now or to be drafted in the future would see it as the challenge he did and want to stay and build something here when other cities come calling. We will always have a slight market disadvantage so we have to make this place seem like one that has a bit more recent relevancy than some others and build the brand up as a fun place to play with passionate fans. We're doing that now. We shouldn't quit so soon. Build something better now and the next gen of superstars may take us more seriously later.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I'll quote you Double H, because it was perfectly stated and completely echo's my opinion. In fact it was what I think Grange was trying to state but not saying it clearly enough.

The problem is that Grange and yourself (and now me) are going to be attacked because by by saying that winning a championship is a process and is involved with just as much luck as it is skill, then we somehow don't want to win a championship. We need to grow a pair of balls because we don't want to blow it up. It is this bandwagon "I need an immediate championship strong contender or tank now mentality" that drives me crazy and is based on myth not fact.

The fact is that NO team with the possible exception of Duncan and the Spurs have one a team with a Number 1 draft pick that stayed with the original team in the last 20 years. (and that wasn't a deliberate tank job but just a fluke injury, and crazy luck to land into generational talent) The very model of how to tank and win a championship that the tankers have been using that also involved crazy luck (the Thunder) haven't won and look to never win a championship.
Atlanta that have been a "treadmill" team for 8 years look to have a legit shot of going to the finals. Yet Rap fans get eliminated in the first round for the 2nd year in a row and "we can never get better, we have to blow it up now" is what is constantly heard on this board.

Of course the non-tankers want to win a championship just as much as the tankers. I just think that getting lucky and going from a mid playoff team to a championship team is just as possible (actually more) than it is to tank and get a generational talent. Detroit, and Dallas did this. Since it is just as likely to go from middle to top as it is to go from bottom to top, I quite frankly prefer cheering for a playoff team and "enjoy the ride" as Grange suggests.

This doesn't mean that I don't think we don't need to make changes and get lucky to get to the next level. It also doesn't make me a wimp and not a true fan if I say that I enjoyed to 3 months of good ball that we played this season, better than I would have if we were say the 76'ers.
Ponchos
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,775

Post#82 » by Ponchos » Fri May 8, 2015 2:42 am

toast wrote:

The fact is that NO team with the possible exception of Duncan and the Spurs have one a team with a Number 1 draft pick that stayed with the original team in the last 20 years.

Who the hell cares about the number 1 pick? Such a strawman. You need HIGH picks to get talent to do anything in the league.

Almost no team has ever won anything without high draft pick talent.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#83 » by Anatomize » Fri May 8, 2015 2:47 am

Dan2087 wrote:
Joker wrote:Only 1 out of 30 teams will win, but 3-4 teams typically legitimately contend, and 7-8 are in the conversation. Can we at least get in the conversation?

This. I just want to be in the conversation for once.

It's kinda hard to 'enjoy the ride' when your baseball team's ride lasts for half a season, the hockey team has a bunch of big contracts but sits in the basement of the conference, and the basketball team hasn't ever won a best of 7 and just got swept by a team below them in the standings and made more negative history in the process.

How about when you look at 6 of the 8 contending teams and look at the top 5 picks they each have:

Cleveland - Irving, LeBron, Love
Washington - Wall, Porter, Beal
Clippers - Griffin, Paul
Bulls - Rose, Gasol
Houston - Howard, Harden
Atlanta - Horford

We have JV.

The only real outlier here is Atlanta, Warriors (who nailed it with Curry), Memphis (who nailed it with Marc Gasol), and the Spurs in the first round who lost an extremely close series to a very good team and Duncan is still a 1st overall pick. Atlanta/Spurs/Warriors all have excellent coaches with great systems (since Budenholzer was under Pop for many years, and same with Ferry). The system's ability to maximize player talent can't be understated, however, Atlanta is far softer than the Spurs and doesn't nearly have the veteran presence + the impact of their big 3 (Leonard over Ginobili) + their bench. Furthermore, if Wall wasn't injured, I'm pretty sure they'd run a train on Atlanta the same way they did to the Raptors.

So out of all these teams that made it to the 2nd round, you only have one team without a significant top 5 pick and that's the Warriors (who have Bogut). Except, the Warriors did what the Spurs did and their GM rightfully won EOTY. Not to mention they landed a great coach in the process.

These outlier teams also have excellent scouting and really nail their mid-late picks (Leonard, Teague, Schroder, Jimmy Butler, Terrence Jones/DeAndre Jordan/Gibson/Klay Thompson/Draymond Green) and bring in system guys (Belinelli/Korver/Green/Ariza/Barnes/Mozgov/Gortat/Iguodala/Livingston/Courtney Lee/Jeff Green, etc).

We're not going to win in the playoffs when most of our talent is middling and we don't exactly nail our talent when it comes to our picks, and our coach is too crappy to maximize our players' talents and have them playing above what they're capable of on a consistent basis because the system itself is sporadic and nonsensical. Our players have far too many weaknesses, most aren't two way players, and can be way too one-dimensional (which makes them easier to stop in the post season). These playoffs really exposed our talent level and our coaching, so for people who feel sorry that we might have to blow it up - unless we swing for the fences and land a Cousins, I think we should gladly embrace it.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#84 » by Anatomize » Fri May 8, 2015 2:48 am

Ponchos wrote:
toast wrote:

The fact is that NO team with the possible exception of Duncan and the Spurs have one a team with a Number 1 draft pick that stayed with the original team in the last 20 years.

Who the hell cares about the number 1 pick? Such a strawman. You need HIGH picks to get talent to do anything in the league.

Ha.. how coincidental that I typed what I typed above just as you said this..

high five
Ponchos
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by Ponchos » Fri May 8, 2015 3:00 am

Anatomize wrote:
Ponchos wrote:
toast wrote:

Ha.. how coincidental that I typed what I typed above just as you said this..

high five

Yep, you're 100% right.

And you know what team should be "enjoying the ride?" Washington. Are they legit title contenders? No. Do they have an extremely bright future because they sucked for a few years and got multiple top-5 picks? YESYESYESYESYES.

Washington may never even sniff a title, but you can't say they won't. They have hope. They have a competitive team, and they have HOPE! The Raps do not have the talent to even hope for contention. The best case scenario with this team is a few more first round exits, maybe a second round exit if we're lucky. By the time we are actually forced to try and rebuild through the draft Philly will be winning the atlantic division. Strap yourselves in and enjoy it.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#86 » by hsb » Fri May 8, 2015 3:03 am

Ponchos wrote:Washington may never even sniff a title, but you can't say they won't. They have hope. They have a competitive team, and they have HOPE! The Raps do not have the talent to even hope for contention. The best case scenario with this team is a few more first round exits, maybe a second round exit if we're lucky. By the time we are actually forced to try and rebuild through the draft Philly will be winning the atlantic division. Strap yourselves in and enjoy it.

Everything sucks now, so everything will always suck? I think people may be forgetting how fluid the NBA is. The landscape can change quickly, unless you're the Spurs.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#87 » by Hendrix » Fri May 8, 2015 3:07 am

hsb wrote:Everything sucks now, so everything will always suck? I think people may be forgetting how fluid the NBA is. The landscape can change quickly, unless you're the Spurs.

Spurs, or Raptors. I'd say the Raps over the last 2 decades have been just as consistent as the Spurs. Consistent losers, mind you, but consistent non-the-less.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Post#88 » by tdotrep2 » Fri May 8, 2015 3:09 am

This is directed straight at realgm, grange, make an account or tell us which one you are
Ponchos
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by Ponchos » Fri May 8, 2015 3:09 am

hsb wrote:
Ponchos wrote:Washington may never even sniff a title, but you can't say they won't. They have hope. They have a competitive team, and they have HOPE! The Raps do not have the talent to even hope for contention. The best case scenario with this team is a few more first round exits, maybe a second round exit if we're lucky. By the time we are actually forced to try and rebuild through the draft Philly will be winning the atlantic division. Strap yourselves in and enjoy it.

Everything sucks now, so everything will always suck? I think people may be forgetting how fluid the NBA is. The landscape can change quickly, unless you're the Spurs.

We don't have nearly enough talent.

The landscape changes quickly for teams with assets to make meaningful trades and for teams that draft superstar talent. Things change very very slowly for the treadmill teams.

You think we're going to sign a marquee free agent when every other team in the league has just as much cap-space? Are we going to be able to trade 1st rounders in the 20th pick range for All-Stars? Is Bruno going to turn into KD?

The most we have to hope for is that Jonas learns how to play D (he will never be elite at it), Ross managing to turn into a legit 3+D role player (unlikely) and DeMar learns how to shoot 3's (unlikely).

Even if all those things happened we'd still be an average team. 10th - 15th in the league.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#90 » by hsb » Fri May 8, 2015 3:16 am

Hendrix wrote:
hsb wrote:Everything sucks now, so everything will always suck? I think people may be forgetting how fluid the NBA is. The landscape can change quickly, unless you're the Spurs.

Spurs, or Raptors. I'd say the Raps over the last 2 decades have been just as consistent as the Spurs. Consistent losers, mind you, but consistent non-the-less.

Lol, nice catch. The thing I hate most about all of this junk from the media is the touting of 49 wins. Regardless of the franchise record, it's a waste of time to even be noting. It's not important in any sense of the word.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#91 » by Yosemite Dan » Fri May 8, 2015 3:36 am

Grange has to be the biggest idiot in the Toronto media and that's saying alot in this city. This article only confirms it.

But of course this is the same guy who thinks Sydney Crosby is the greatest hockey player of all time. The same Crosby who has one Stanley Cup (even though Malkin won MVP of the playoffs that year) and whose team continually craps out the first and second round each year even though he usually has a stacked team.

So Grange has equally moronic opinions in pretty much every sport.
joseph227
Senior
And1: 1,588

Post#92 » by joseph227 » Fri May 8, 2015 3:39 am

Wasn't he on the tank wagon a couple of years ago?
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#93 » by Dan2087 » Fri May 8, 2015 4:04 am

hsb wrote:
Hendrix wrote:

Lol, nice catch. The thing I hate most about all of this junk from the media is the touting of 49 wins. Regardless of the franchise record, it's a waste of time to even be noting. It's not important in any sense of the word.

It's really sad come to think of it. We haven't ever won 50 games and the Spurs haven't NOT won 50 games in over a decade - there was one time recently but that was the lockout shortened season. The regular season is like our playoffs, and preseason for the Spurs
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#94 » by Schad » Fri May 8, 2015 4:08 am

Double Helix wrote:Don't forget that as much as we all talk about the "tank it till you make it" mentality there's still the very real possibility that even if you do luck into the next Lebron... He and his people might not want to play in Toronto when he's an UFA. That's where building this brand up from one that always loses and barely feels a part of the association to something with even a modest winning history comes into play. The more sustained winning we do now (ideally going past the first round before the next rebuild) the more legit we'll seem to the next wave of phenoms, and their reps, and their families for the next rebuild era. We're trying to move past the idea of the Raptors as being perennial bottom feeders among the league that can never get out of the bottom. If you were a next generation superstar wanted by every team in the association would you really be excited over the challenge of being the first dude to actually do something meaningful on some cold weather team outside of the U.S. when you can play anywhere else due to demand? Let's be real here. Not all players better than Demar in the league now or to be drafted in the future would see it as the challenge he did and want to stay and build something here when other cities come calling. We will always have a slight market disadvantage so we have to make this place seem like one that has a bit more recent relevancy than some others and build the brand up as a fun place to play with passionate fans. We're doing that now. We shouldn't quit so soon. Build something better now and the next gen of superstars may take us more seriously later.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

You need to be pretty damned good for it to have an impact on the future motivations of superstars beyond "that looks like a fun away game", though. Even if it was a series that didn't feature us getting utterly reamed, Wizards - Raptors was never going to be appointment television. Neither was Nets - Raptors a year ago. Both were series played with the general acknowledgement that the prize on offer was the chance to be fodder for a superior group a round later. Unless we're one of the best, most entertaining teams in the league, or feature one of the best, most entertaining players, the future generation of superstars aren't going to have any reason to take us seriously, because ours will be the games they watched briefly while waiting for more exciting contests to begin.

No one's coming here because we rode a good match-up to the second round six years previous before getting offed by a legitimate contender, if we even make it that far...if other teams come calling for stars we're chasing (and it's worth noting that they haven't had the chance to come for DeMar; next off-season will be the first time he has hit free agency of any sort), the only two things we can offer are the same things every team hopes to offer: a truckload of money and the chance to compete for titles. If we persist in chasing a slightly better position in the middle of the pack, we will be able to offer neither.
**** your asterisk.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#95 » by gerrit4 » Fri May 8, 2015 4:26 am

If you can't win more than 72 games in a season, you might as well tank and rebuild. What's the point in competing of you can't be the best ever? Teams like Cleveland, GSw clips, Spurs have no chance of 72 next year so they should trade guys like Blake, lebron, Kyrie, curry for cap space and picks so they can bottom out. If you just aim to win 60 plus games and a championship you are a loser who has never accomplished anything. The only real championship is the record of the greatest team ever (plus a ring).
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,407

Post#96 » by Raps in 4 » Fri May 8, 2015 5:45 am

Oh look, a Rogers employee towing the company line. Shocking.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#97 » by bballsparkin » Fri May 8, 2015 5:45 am

^^What's your point? Drunk? Being facetious? I'd happily take 60 wins. When was the last time a team in the east won 60 games and never made it to the second round? Let alone not compete in the first.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#98 » by sule » Fri May 8, 2015 6:06 am

I don't like being told to just "accept the ride". Especially for a team that plays unwatchable basketball, has an uninteresting set of stars, a non-coaching "coach", and young players that are told to develop by watching games (something they can do from their Tv's anyway).

I will not "enjoy the ride" of a team that won 48 games last year on ascending play, while this year they are in the margin of error for last years record, along with a HISTORICALLY bad first round series.

To accept that is unacceptable as a fan b/c this team is historically bad, and the rabid fans who have shown the league that we are among the best and most devoted in the league do not deserve mediocrity any longer.

I'll wipe my @$$ with an atlantic banner before I accept it as some kind of badge of pride for this team.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#99 » by dballislife » Fri May 8, 2015 6:23 am

titles? i just want us to play well and compete...we cant even do that
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#100 » by Wo1verine » Fri May 8, 2015 6:26 am

Someone with deep pockets like Shaw need to create a website like Sportsnet's and pay competitive wages to writers who aren't afraid to tell a situation like it is or criticize management or player should it become necessary.
BrunoSkull

Return to Toronto Raptors