ImageImageImageImageImage

Stein: Raps could approach Monty Williams for assistant job

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bokbok
Senior
And1: 905

Re: Stein: Monty Williams Could Be Approached For Assistant Job 

Post#61 » by bokbok » Thu May 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Alfred wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
TDotsfinest97 wrote:monty williams did find a way to beat us with half of his roster twice this season, he's better than casey, the problem isn't with the assistants, the problem is that casey is garbage.

He also found a way to have a team starting Davis, Asik and Holiday in the bottom 10 defensively.

Yeah, I don't understand how that's even possible.

the team was rarely healthy, that probably doesn't help.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Post#62 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:53 pm

nahom1319 wrote:I said that missing Omer's 6 games wasn't as big a deal. I only posted his to be consistent with the previously identified top defenders. You probably didn't count but there were 5 players posted and I mentioned 4 injuries being impactful.

In any case your claiming that missing a generational talent for 14 games out of an 82 game season isn't alot? You're kidding right? That's 17% of your season. If you win half those games (conservative number since he is as you say "a generational talent playing at an MVP level") you're closer to 52-30 and 7th in the standings. Of course you're next response would logically be that injuries happen and you'd be right but that isn't what you said before and I am responding to that statement in isolation.

I'm saying it's typical of the NBA. In terms of defensive impact, Bogut missed a bunch of games. So did Kawhi. So did Dwight.

On offense Blake missed time. So did Lebron. So did Wade. So did Boogie. Durant. Rose.

14 games is nothing out of the ordinary. That much is clear.

"If you win half those games"...that implies losing all those games without Davis which is absurd.

Since most of you couldn't connect the dots on your own I'll just post their depth chart

Yeah man, I'm well aware of the depth chart.

The fact remains that a team with the Pelicans players (even factoring in injuries) should be better defensively. Furthermore, Pondexter, Ajinca, Cunningham and Cole range from solid to ok defensively. Combined with 83% of a season AD, only 6 games missed from Asik and half a season from Holiday, that's gotta be an above average defense. Easily.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Re: Stein: Raps could approach Monty Williams for assistant job 

Post#63 » by Green Backpack » Thu May 14, 2015 10:12 pm

If he can't find a HC job then it's a good idea for him considering we will probably fire Casey if we have a bad start. He'd then become interim HC
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,355

Post#64 » by ForeverTFC » Thu May 14, 2015 10:16 pm

DG88 wrote:Monty Williams is meh. His team was only one spot better then us defensively. Not sure what he really brings to the table to be honest.

His players like him and respect him. Raptors probably hope that he is someone Lowry would listen to during his downs with Casey.

Also, there is no way Casey is letting go of the defensive strategy of this team. That's his (alleged) specialty.
DJ_RnC
Analyst
And1: 5,231

Post#65 » by DJ_RnC » Thu May 14, 2015 10:24 pm

I don't mind, he led a very young and inconsistent in terms of health teams to the playoffs in a very difficult Western conference. He's always had the respect of his players. Hell if Casey doesn't pan out (expect it), Williams might be Masai's fallback for the HC position.
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#66 » by UneducatedFan86 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 pm

Not really interested. Then again, I'm not the biggest fan of Monty Williams. With that said, Money has proven enough that he should still be a HC in this league. If you're hiring him, then Casey just becomes a lame duck coach. With Monty just waiting in the wings for Casey to be fired. If you're doing that, just fire Casey and get Monty (which is a lateral move, at best).
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,903

Post#67 » by Potential » Fri May 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Imagine Beal and AD (Ray Allen and KG) both join DeMar (Pierce) in Toronto.
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#68 » by scopy » Fri May 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Inevitable wrote:I'm still dumbfounded to why Casey's coming back.

This X's 10.

I have lost so much faith in Masai with this move. I was a huge fan of his too.

I hope Casey can change, but I'm pretty sure he won't.

There must be a ton of drama going on behind the scenes in order to not upgrade the coach.

I think Casey gets his ringed polished up before every meeting with Masai....

Man such a love / hate relationship with this team.

Oh and I just lost a bet (round of golf) that Casey would be fired, so that just pisses me off even more.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#69 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:16 pm

scopy wrote:
Inevitable wrote:I'm still dumbfounded to why Casey's coming back.

This X's 10.

I have lost so much faith in Masai with this move. I was a huge fan of his too.

I hope Casey can change, but I'm pretty sure he won't.

There must be a ton of drama going on behind the scenes in order to not upgrade the coach.

I think Casey gets his ringed polished up before every meeting with Masai....

Man such a love / hate relationship with this team.

Oh and I just lost a bet (round of golf) that Casey would be fired, so that just pisses me off even more.

Casey has nine lives - true. I'd speculate some of the assistants were more ticked with the substitutions than the fans. Ticked KL. The league is full of alpha arseholes. Whatever we say as fans MU must like JVs progress under Casey and that is probably 50 per cent of what counts. MU likely would have taken Drummond so not sure he has big expectations for TRoss. Expect more youth.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,381

Re: Re: 

Post#70 » by Tha Cynic » Fri May 15, 2015 3:38 pm

TheDoctor wrote:We don't have an assistant who was an NBA player, or an NBA head coach. Monty fills both holes in our coaching roster. He's not the guy to be the Xs and Os at either end (we have both, but both sides have to learn that what we set up on D in camp last year wasn't sustainable, and our very effective regular season became low mediocre in the playoffs).

I don't love Monty as a head coach, but I think he's a pretty good fit for what they've targeted here.

No, he's really not. You may as well just not hire anyone if you're planning on hiring Monty Williams. You decided to keep a very bad coach for whatever reason. The only way you do that is if you plan on hiring someone who can actually talk some sense into Casey. Monty Williams is a bad coach. Dwayne Casey is a bad coach. Two bad coaches do not make a good coach.

Btw, I saw Casey shinning his shoes at Pearson Airport on Tuesday on my way to San Francisco. I guess he was on his way out of Toronto. Told him good luck next season and he said he really appreciates it. My girlfriend told him she's a big fan... Probably because she constantly hears me bitch about him. That finally got him to smile, but Casey looked sad and lonely. Next season is going to be very controlled even though he will be back as head coach.

Return to Toronto Raptors