ImageImageImageImageImage

Koreen: Nurse seen as up and coming coach, Casey's future doesn't look good

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Re: Koreen: Nurse seen as up and coming coach, Casey's future doesn't look good 

Post#41 » by beanbag » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Dukenukem23 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
move_ball wrote:
Feel free to disagree but here's my take:

sticking with a core that does not fit together and lacks difference-making talent
    scapegoating Rudy Gay when he really needed a better coach & supporting cast - DeRozan had more market value & is an inferior talent
    waiving Augustin, a decent talent on a favorable contract, and replacing him with Trashquez & De Colo so Casey can run his awful 2-PG lineups
    re-signing Trashquez
    Dwight Buycks lol
    refusing to fire Casey, repeatedly
    roster spot for Stiemsma wtf
    failure to keep tabs on Whiteside after his summer league stint - that Stiemsma roster spot sure was big for us
    drafting Bruno over Capela or Hood or almost anyone really
    drafting Daniels over Jerami Grant
    stupid Blackberry commercials
    *** Brooklyn & the other distracting & attention-seeking non-basketball moves he's made, although I guess BWB is technically "basketball" just with no benefit to the Raptors
    scapegoating assistant coaches for the failure of Casey & the core that he's still "evaluating"

You're welcome. Can't wait for this offseason! :noway:

Oh man....I will disagree with them:

1. Just because he hasn't traded everyone away yet doesn't mean he's sticking with a core. The offseason hasn't even began yet, and even if he doesn't trade away as many players as you would like, wouldn't it be fair to see what the team looks like before crying about it?

2. Just because you trade a player (Rudy) doesn't mean you're scapegoating him. That was a good trade, any sane person makes that deal without thinking twice. You yourself said that the trades he made were good, but now you've listed this as one of his errors? Your quote: "His tenure as GM has been a comedy of errors so far aside from 2 trades - one where the Knicks ripped themselves off & one that made sense for both sides". You're right about one thing....that trade made sense! Also, no chance Derozan (at the time) had more value than Gay.

3. Waiving Augustin? He was garbage while he was with us and, at best he is a back-up point guard. That move is a non event.

4. Let's see how Vasquez plays before calling it a terrible re-signing.

5. Dwight Buycks is the 15th man on the bench. Again, who cares? Although I'm starting to see why you're so upset, I hadn't considered such non factors like the 13-15th men on the bench would piss you off. Here's a newsflash, EVERY TEAM HAS A FEW **** PLAYERS AT THE END OF THEIR BENCH! ALL OF THEM!

6. Hassan Whiteside, yeah it was a mistake not keeping him, but I am not going to criticize a GM for not having a crystal ball. No one could have predicted Whiteside would have the run that he did.

7. Criticizing the Bruno pick is ridiculously short-sighted. We can play the revisionist history card in 3 years if you want, but not now.if they get rid of Bruno and he becomes the next Hassan Whiteside, you'll be the first person crying about it[b]. Also, I'm starting to think you might be Sid Seixeiro. Are you?

8. Stupid blackberry commercials is a comedy of errors? Come on man, you don't even believe that. You are smart enough to know it has nothing to do with anything.

9. I agree with you on the assistant coaches thing, I don't get why you would keep a head coach and tell him that some of his assistants have to go.

Mostly though, you're either overeating to nothing or just flat out wrong.

Bolded the funny part. We actually had hassan Whiteside and Masai threw him away like he was a piece of dirt.

Yeah, I acknowledged that in my post.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#42 » by Dukenukem23 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:57 pm

It made no sense to grab steamer and dump.Whiteside when Whiteside was actually playing very well on.our sl team. he bulked up massively, matured and still had that crazy length and we desperately needed a defensive back up Centre. Sure its a surprise that he's been as good as he'd been, but it's still a pretty big blunder and makes me wonder about Masais talent evaluation, I don't trust it.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#43 » by load management » Fri May 22, 2015 2:02 am

beanbag wrote:
move_ball wrote:
beanbag wrote:
List them please

Feel free to disagree but here's my take:

sticking with a core that does not fit together and lacks difference-making talent
    scapegoating Rudy Gay when he really needed a better coach & supporting cast - DeRozan had more market value & is an inferior talent
    waiving Augustin, a decent talent on a favorable contract, and replacing him with Trashquez & De Colo so Casey can run his awful 2-PG lineups
    re-signing Trashquez
    Dwight Buycks lol
    refusing to fire Casey, repeatedly
    roster spot for Stiemsma wtf
    failure to keep tabs on Whiteside after his summer league stint - that Stiemsma roster spot sure was big for us
    drafting Bruno over Capela or Hood or almost anyone really
    drafting Daniels over Jerami Grant
    stupid Blackberry commercials
    *** Brooklyn & the other distracting & attention-seeking non-basketball moves he's made, although I guess BWB is technically "basketball" just with no benefit to the Raptors
    scapegoating assistant coaches for the failure of Casey & the core that he's still "evaluating"

You're welcome. Can't wait for this offseason! :noway:

Oh man....I will disagree with them:

1. Just because he hasn't traded everyone away yet doesn't mean he's sticking with a core
. The offseason hasn't even began yet, and even if he doesn't trade away as many players as you would like, wouldn't it be fair to see what the team looks like before crying about it?

2. Just because you trade a player (Rudy) doesn't mean you're scapegoating him. That was a good trade, any sane person makes that deal without thinking twice. You yourself said that the trades he made were good, but now you've listed this as one of his errors? Your quote: "His tenure as GM has been a comedy of errors so far aside from 2 trades - one where the Knicks ripped themselves off & one that made sense for both sides". You're right about one thing....that trade made sense! Also, no chance Derozan (at the time) had more value than Gay.

3. Waiving Augustin? He was garbage while he was with us and, at best he is a back-up point guard. That move is a non event.

4. Let's see how Vasquez plays before calling it a terrible re-signing.

5. Dwight Buycks is the 15th man on the bench. Again, who cares? Although I'm starting to see why you're so upset, I hadn't considered such non factors like the 13-15th men on the bench would piss you off. Here's a newsflash, EVERY TEAM HAS A FEW **** PLAYERS AT THE END OF THEIR BENCH! ALL OF THEM!

6. Hassan Whiteside, yeah it was a mistake not keeping him, but I am not going to criticize a GM for not having a crystal ball. No one could have predicted Whiteside would have the run that he did.

7. Criticizing the Bruno pick is ridiculously short-sighted. We can play the revisionist history card in 3 years if you want, but not now. If they get rid of Bruno and he becomes the next Hassan Whiteside, you'll be the first person crying about it. Also, I'm starting to think you might be Sid Seixeiro. Are you?

8. Stupid blackberry commercials is a comedy of errors? Come on man, you don't even believe that. You are smart enough to know it has nothing to do with anything.

9. I agree with you on the assistant coaches thing, I don't get why you would keep a head coach and tell him that some of his assistants have to go.

Mostly though, you're either overeating to nothing or just flat out wrong.

Although I will wait to see what he does this summer before I give my final judgment... Masai has been disapointing in my eyes. I thought he would come in and build a team with a new identity. Instead we are extending the BC years.

Should not have stuck with BC's core from the get go.

What more do you need to see from Vasquez?
**** the Tony Brothers
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#44 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:17 am

According to this anaysis Casey really fkd over the line-ups and match-ups in the wiz series. Didn't follow the numbers at all but played favourites and his benching of Johnson was in explicable and inexcuseable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RvPsEfAa9uY
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#45 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:21 am

Casey didn't lose the team so much as he lost his assistants. This also shames KL for terrible execution and vision. If Masai is keeping Casey in order to not to take the salary hit he should deny him veterans and give him second rounders on non-guaranteed deals. No soup for you Casey.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#46 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:30 am

Class Act wrote:What more do you need to see from Vasquez?

Would like to see him run the team next year with some added youth to get a higher selection in 2016. After that let them decide to keep him or not. While the team has had success with KL it has also had the non IT factor big flat tire. I ship him out for moving parts.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#47 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm

This kind of makes sense to me, assuming nurse is responsible for our offence, while casey was implementing mostly defence it makes sense to rank the one who was successful over the one who really wasn't. A bit of a simplification, and obv. casey was also responsible for creating our offensive structure.

I guess we could make nurse the head coach while having a strong defensive assistant coach to support him or something along those lines.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#48 » by dballislife » Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 pm

would live with nurse head coach, and casey assistant
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
move_ball
Junior
And1: 361

Post#49 » by move_ball » Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Appreciate the response beanbag. I wouldn't say I was overreacting with the majority of my criticisms because I never stated the degree/severity of the perceived mistakes. Moves like Augustin/Buycks are obviously of minimal importance in the long run but they are still mistakes so they're worth noting. I guess I should've rated each criticism on a scale, like the Blackberry commercials are a 1/10 cause they don't really affect the team, but I'm of the opinion that executives/coaches should stay as far out of the spotlight as possible. It's strange to see a GM in a marketing campaign imo as it gives the impression that Masai has too much of his attention tied into other things than the Raptors. I can recognize that it benefits the brand & helps the team make money though, but I couldn't care less about that. I want to see winning decisions, not a public spectacle.

Return to Toronto Raptors