ImageImageImageImageImage

Why did Andrea Bargnani not become a star?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: Why did Andrea Bargnani not become a star? 

Post#101 » by Goudelock » Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 pm

steamed hams wrote:Not sure if serious. Anyone can put up a 21 ppg game season when you have them as first option and give them a license to chuck. Bargnani wasn't never that good. At best he's a 7th man on a championship team. This is like asking "why didn't Wally Sczerbiak become a star?" and then you'll see how dumb the question is.

Well, he was the #1 pick and looks to be very talented, so I thought that it was a legit question.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,582

Post#102 » by NeoDragonKnight » Wed May 27, 2015 11:39 pm

He had all the physical tools, skill, and even had decent bball iq to become an all star. But he just has zero heart, effort and desire, and that erased anything good about him. It is why people hate him so much, it's not because he has no skill, it is because he could have been truly great but just didn't try to be great, no aspirations, no work ethic, he barely even tried to be a decent player.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#103 » by sweetcity » Thu May 28, 2015 2:47 am

Dukenukem23 wrote:He's just not a very good basketball player.... Never has been and never will be, just never had the talent to do more than chuck.

Your post lacks any BB IQ. Bargnani was incredibly talented, how many 7 footers in the league had his skillset? To say he just "wasnt very good" is wrong. He just didnt have the core pieces around him like a Tyson Chandler to overcome his weaknesses and he didnt want to be great. The skills were all there.
Ponchos
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,775

Post#104 » by Ponchos » Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 am

sweetcity wrote:
Dukenukem23 wrote:He's just not a very good basketball player.... Never has been and never will be, just never had the talent to do more than chuck.

Your post lacks any BB IQ. Bargnani was incredibly talented, how many 7 footers in the league had his skillset? To say he just "wasnt very good" is wrong. He just didnt have the core pieces around him like a Tyson Chandler to overcome his weaknesses and he didnt want to be great. The skills were all there.

He wasn't the worst help defender of all time because of high awareness and high bbIQ.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#105 » by Boogie! » Thu May 28, 2015 3:58 am

wolfv wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
ontnut wrote:He wasn't that good, didn't work hard, wasn't able to be motivated, no passion, soft, inconsistent, overpaid, not a media friendly or savvy guy, didn't do much with the fans.

Basically, if he hadn't been picked #1 overall, nobody would care about him.

that's not a reason why he didn't become a star, but a huge reason why people have such a negative perception on him despite him actually not being that bad at all… by nba standards he was actually average as an overall player… he did score 21 ppg one season which for some people is actually a means to call someone a star… it just depends on who the player is...

Well you thought Bargs was a star, so you think DD is a star too?

lol what? i didn't think bargs was a star… i thought he had potential to be… and no i don't think dd is a star either… in fact, i've said many times that dd and bargs are almost the same player production wise… and yet one of them gets **** on like he's worthless while the other one is glorified as a core piece… which is why i'm advocating getting rid of dd at this point… because we've seen how valuable a one dimensional volume scorer is and it's best to learn from our mistakes and move on from that.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#106 » by Dukenukem23 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:16 am

sweetcity wrote:

:lol: well this sums you up perfectly. A bags fan boy, that's all that needed to be said lmao! :lol:
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,339

Post#107 » by TOStateofMind » Thu May 28, 2015 4:29 am

random but my fav bargs play was when he threw a behind the back bounce pass alley oop to bosh who missed the dunk(or was fouled maybe i forget) :lol:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,783

Post#108 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 28, 2015 1:22 pm

sweetcity wrote:

Da fuq is this. People are still trying to make excuses for bargnani? Seriously? You have zero legs to stand on. He was soft, did not work hard, had no drive and was not a winner. He is never playing on a winning team because no team can win with him
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#109 » by ontnut » Thu May 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Boogie! wrote:
ontnut wrote:He wasn't that good, didn't work hard, wasn't able to be motivated, no passion, soft, inconsistent, overpaid, not a media friendly or savvy guy, didn't do much with the fans.

Basically, if he hadn't been picked #1 overall, nobody would care about him.

that's not a reason why he didn't become a star, but a huge reason why people have such a negative perception on him despite him actually not being that bad at all… by nba standards he was actually average as an overall player… he did score 21 ppg one season which for some people is actually a means to call someone a star… it just depends on who the player is...

Maybe not directly in this example, but his unwillingness, or inability, to properly communicate with the people around him, probably including teammates and likely coaching staff (in the same manner as his inability or unwillingness to do so with media and fans; plus there were rumours that he was basically by himself in the locker room with no friends amongst teammates), likely did have a part in him not becoming a star. You do need the team behind you to help you become a star in the league (ie JV's development), and if nobody likes you as a person, it's hard to get the help you need from teammates. Also because he wasn't socially adept like an Amir Johnson, he is viewed poorly by casual fans, and when they turned on him - with his weak mindset and makeup, that certainly didn't help him develop into a star either.

He was a very average player, who thought he was worthy of the #1 overall pick, and while he never did much to earn that draft slot (which wasn't his fault), he didn't do much to try and live it down either, always talking as if he was great because of where he was drafted.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#110 » by ontnut » Thu May 28, 2015 4:01 pm

sweetcity wrote:

Sorry, can you please elaborate on his "incredible talents" and "skillset"?
Just exactly what is he good at?
Long range shooting is supposed to be his forte, and largely the reason why we drafted him. To be a 7 footer who can hit the 3 and drive to the basket. We already know he can only straight line drive, and it only worked the first few years when people bit on the pump fake 3. He's a career 43% shooter, and 35% from 3. He's never hit more than 1 3pt per game over a season, so it's not like he was really stretching the floor. Other than that, career under 5 rpg, barely above 1 apg, under 1 bpg. He's a tall volume scorer. That's it.
So again I ask, how is he incredibly talented? What was his skillset that nobody else seems to have? Him and 6'10" Ryan Anderson have pretty much the same stat lines, except Ryan actually hits multiple 3's a game, at a better rate. He's in that Ersan Ilyasova range. Matt Bonner is probably a better stretch 4 than Bargnani lol, at least he fills that role properly...
BrownMamba
Junior
And1: 545

Why did Andrea Bargnani not become a star? 

Post#111 » by BrownMamba » Thu May 28, 2015 5:44 pm

If he's still around in 5-10 years where the big man will become near extinct with the evolution of the euro game and people falling in love with a big who can shoot.. He'll be right below average and potentially serviceable at best.

Sigh, used to love you Bargnani... :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#112 » by pkiskool » Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 pm

I love Italy and have many friends from there, met girls from there before and still enjoy the food and wine from there and everything, but when it comes to "hard work", we all know it ain't about that life for Italians..
Again, no offence, I love you guys but I just have never seen one who works hard or wants to work hard... (nothing against that as long as you don't work for me... lol)
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#113 » by stopnpop » Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 pm

Didn't commit to fitness, rebounding, or defence....

overcommitted to primo pasta and hair maintenance products

his ideal role was 6-8th man to provide scoring off the bench, but u cant bring the 1st overall pick off the bench, at least not on bc's team

He was also screwed by draft position. If Noah doesn't give the nba the finger to go back and chase another college championship; we'd have drafted the defensive big man we've all wanted. Instead, we got a guy who was a huge risk and didn't pan out.

Ryan Anderson is better than Bargs, right?
onetwothree
Senior
And1: 440

Post#114 » by onetwothree » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 am

Because he ate too much Primo Pasta
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#115 » by Truthrising » Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 am

sweetcity wrote:

Agreed, I think a lot of posters back then when they saw Bargnani during his rookie year saw that he had a unique skillset not many 7 footers had, he had the talent to be "Dirk" like, no center could ever guard him when he's draining those 3's.

If the Raptors had properly developed him not had to bulk him up and have him play the PF position and if we had a legit center I think things would've been different.

I kinda blame the management for messing up the develop of Bargs..all that talent gone to waste :nonono:
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#116 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 am

Well, not that many people will remember this, but he was once proclaimed the next Hakeem by the now-forgotten Messiah (whose dream, of course, was to work at Abercrombie). When Messiah got banned, things went downhill for Bargs.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,258

Post#117 » by XTC » Fri May 29, 2015 9:24 am

Honestly the skill and athleticism was there. We did kind of ruin Bargnani. Rookie Bargnani looked oh so promising, I believe he led all big men in 3 pointers made and had a really good percentage as well.

Rookie Bargnani was also one of the quickest big men I have ever seen. He could take any big off the dribble, and that was his biggest strength. He was a PF through thick and thin and we made him bulk up to become a center... And the confusing part is we STILL parked him at the 3 point line, asking him to nail 3's and beat his man off the dribble when he gained 20-30 pounds in one summer. Rookie Bargnani only shot wide open 3's which I Loved because I loved him driving to the hoop. I hate the fact we wanted him to become a center. I really did see him becoming a 25/7 player. Such a shame...
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#118 » by No-Man » Fri May 29, 2015 11:39 am

There is nothing wrong with Bargnani skillset, his athleticism is phenomenal also, and he is huge, the problem with Bargs is poor awareness in both ends, poor attitude, and just not working hard at all, he didnt care, talent wise, or what he comes from in those terms, I think he and Dirk are quite close, but he just never worked on his game or develop, it is not about what you can do when you train alone, it is about 5vs5 and Bargnani has always been lackluster in that, poor passer as well, probably didnt watch much tape.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#119 » by mrsocko » Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm

pkiskool wrote:I love Italy and have many friends from there, met girls from there before and still enjoy the food and wine from there and everything, but when it comes to "hard work", we all know it ain't about that life for Italians..
Again, no offence, I love you guys but I just have never seen one who works hard or wants to work hard... (nothing against that as long as you don't work for me... lol)

I guess you never worked in the construction industry then. Idiotic Post.
Dick expectation level 0/5

Return to Toronto Raptors