ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Ty Lawson to Rockets

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Post#81 » by Potential » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 am

Who?
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Re: OT: Ty Lawson to Rockets 

Post#82 » by dballislife » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:54 am

omg denver looks like a bottom 1-5 team, with a few more moves maybe legit bottom 1-3...if knicks struggle with health they can easily be close to that level, even healthy they should be in that 7-14 range

omg bargs got us a lottery pick and potential high lottery pick lol...masai works magic
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,892

Post#83 » by Merit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:02 am

Am I the only one thinking trade? James Johnson/Bebe/Ross for Gallo? No picks, but that's because Gallo is expiring. The same can be offered for Faried.

Houston is looking good next year, provided they all stay healthy.
I believe in Masai.
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#84 » by MikeM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:15 am

Nuggets are going into the tank and once the Knicks start off slow they're going to scramble to out-tank. This will result in us picking 2nd overall.
becausephilchow
Sixth Man
And1: 1,272

Post#85 » by becausephilchow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:22 am

Merit wrote:Am I the only one thinking trade? James Johnson/Bebe/Ross for Gallo? No picks, but that's because Gallo is expiring. The same can be offered for Faried.

If we're going to pluck somebody for JJ/BeBe/Ross, I would rather it be Faried. Problem is, any move that we make for a "better" player, is going to open up new holes. Without JJ, we're without a Backup SF.

MikeM wrote:Nuggets are going into the tank and once the Knicks start off slow they're going to scramble to out-tank. This will result in us picking 2nd overall.

The Knicks have no interest in out tanking the Nuggets at all. It does them no benefit.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#86 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 am

Mudiay
Chandler
Gallinari
Faried
Nurkic

Still not that bad for the Nuggets under Malone.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#87 » by TheGoodDoctor » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 am

The West elite is insane with talent (GSW, SAS, LAC, HOU) those could arguably be the final 4 standing if there were no conferences...oh yeah let's not forget KD & Westbrook..
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 887

Post#88 » by Got Nuffin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:36 am

becausephilchow wrote:
Merit wrote:Am I the only one thinking trade? James Johnson/Bebe/Ross for Gallo? No picks, but that's because Gallo is expiring. The same can be offered for Faried.

If we're going to pluck somebody for JJ/BeBe/Ross, I would rather it be Faried. Problem is, any move that we make for a "better" player, is going to open up new holes. Without JJ, we're without a Backup SF.

I think the trade package is more likely to be Bebe/Ross and D.Wright. I love the kid's game, but there is no way we are trading Corey Joseph after all the publicity about him being signed. Wright is a coaches' dream at pg and I think he'd have decent trade value after garnering praise from GMs and scouts at summer league.

It better be a good trade though- I like the potential of both Bebe and Wright. With Ross I'm sure other teams still see potential in him, but we all know how 'meh' he actually is.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#89 » by Scott Hall » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:39 am

I'm not worried about the Knicks being remotely competitive at all...

They have the 2nd worst PGs in the league, the worst PFs in the league and the worst bench in the league
becausephilchow
Sixth Man
And1: 1,272

Post#90 » by becausephilchow » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:22 am

Got Nuffin wrote:
becausephilchow wrote:

I think the trade package is more likely to be Bebe/Ross and D.Wright. I love the kid's game, but there is no way we are trading Corey Joseph after all the publicity about him being signed. Wright is a coaches' dream at pg and I think he'd have decent trade value after garnering praise from GMs and scouts at summer league.

It better be a good trade though- I like the potential of both Bebe and Wright. With Ross I'm sure other teams still see potential in him, but we all know how 'meh' he actually is.

Thing is, it's highly doubtful that Wright is on the table. We're not about to trade our rookie. It's safe that say that Lowry won't be back in Toronto after his contract expires I would think.

Which means, Joseph is being groomed to potentially be a starter, and then Wright to take over later on, depending on how he pans out.

There is no way for us to acquire a good starting PF, like Jones/Faried/Whoever, without opening up another hole in our roster. I think Masai's best bet, is to roll into the season with a PF combo of Patterson/Scola, and a Vet Min 3rd, potentially even Hans, I wouldn't mind him back on a cheap deal, and around the trade deadline, see if there's anything that opens up around then

Out of all our younger players, Bruno/Wright/Daniels/BeBe/Powell/Roberts, I'm OK with Daniels/BeBe/Roberts being moved. Not interested in moving Bruno/Wright/Powell. They're not superstars, but they have room to grow, and you never know, ala Jimmy Butler and Middleton and what-not.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#91 » by ballislife » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:35 am

The Rockets got him for nothing, really. They definitely win the deal, which is better for us. Denver is not making the playoffs in the West with that young team. I don't know what direction they want to head in, because they have young players, mixed with guys entering their prime. It's not a good mix.

I think we should likely get a low lottery pick next season in the worst case. But with Denver (in the west), and the lack of NYK's improvement... I think we're looking at a top 10 pick this time next year. Phil's not in any rush (idk why), and Denver's giving away their leader for nothing.

Regardless of this, this move is a big improvement for us... we're getting a better prospect out of all this. :D
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#92 » by Clutch0z24 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:59 am

Lol and some people here say our players cant get a deal for a allstar or some kind of player on an elite level. Rockets gave up nothing for Lawson. Im Sure if we put a package together of JV DD and Lowry we could get a superstar if the timing is right when a superstar is available.

That Den/kncisk pic looks Great
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#93 » by suntzuballin » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:11 am

Den got a decent player in kostas papniklou.
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#94 » by Jonn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 am

Traps13 wrote:
Jonn wrote:Denver getting worse is good for us. Lawson is a douche bag but very good. I hope Houston doesn't continue to undervalue Beverley. He needs to play.

How is he a douchebag

He drives drunk. Massive douche bag. Probably worse. A terrible human being. Irresponsible moron. Whatever you perfer.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Re: 

Post#95 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:52 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:The West elite is insane with talent (GSW, SAS, LAC, HOU) those could arguably be the final 4 standing if there were no conferences...oh yeah let's not forget KD & Westbrook..

Memphis either
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,793

Post#96 » by Lord_Zedd » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:52 am

His value tanked so bad.

Raptors got more out of Vasquez than Lawson.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#97 » by mcgrady_1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:26 am

This sucks because now our chances of trading for Terrence Jones are now next to nothing. Hoping we dont try to trade for Faried.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,780

Post#98 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:30 am

vaff87 wrote:
Clutch Carter wrote:I don't really care how many DUI's he got, the guy is worth way more than that. Terrible trade for DEN.

You don't think being an alcoholic could seriously hurt his playing ability?

Way to make the leap that DUI = alcoholic.

He's an idiot for sure.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,780

Post#99 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:34 am

Crystal ball says Prigioni ends up back in NY.

MikeM wrote:Nuggets are going into the tank and once the Knicks start off slow they're going to scramble to out-tank. This will result in us picking 2nd overall.

You might want to really think that one through again.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#100 » by Too Late Crew » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:02 pm

gerrit4 wrote:I wonder if there's more to the alcoholism stuff than has been revealed. To me, this is a ridiculous steal for Houston. I don't even love the fit on Houston, but who cares, he's a great talent and it's worth trying to make it work.

The first sentence of this is being greatly overlooked.

I understand that from a talent perspective its a steal.
I get that it appears to be low risk (not much sent out) high reward (a borderline All Star PG).

BUT you also need to look at the downside to understand why every team in the NBA didn't line up to do this.

Alcoholism is no joke. It can often be tied to other problems like depression. One only needs to look at a guy like Vin baker to see what kind of gong show this can become. Like I said they didn't give up much but that is not the only cost. lawson has 2 years and over 24 million on his contract. What if his problems drag on, what if he stays in rehab (which if he needs it good for him personal) or misses big chunks of the season due to court etc? That's 12 million dollars, a roster spot and a salary slot tied up. Not every team can afford a 12 million dollar gamble.

There is also the disruption factor. is he disruptive to the team or locker room. The Rockets are not the Spurs. Are Howard and Harden the kind of veterans who can control a disruptive player? I don't think they are.
Even if he's not a bad guy in the locker room what kind of disruption is caused if he plays well, becomes the starter ,you get a system and chemistry going and then he falls off the wagon a week before the playoffs? We saw it on Houston before with yao Ming. Guys who are in and out and that you can't count on a consistent lineup are bad for winning.

I am in no way saying they shouldn't take a shot but this isn't the slam dunk can't lose situation some make it out to be.

Return to Toronto Raptors