ImageImageImageImageImage

Valanciunas losing weight in the offseason.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Re: Valanciunas losing weight in the offseason. 

Post#81 » by orbesnet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Well it's luxury food to some dirt poor people, just about anywhere... age might factor in here too.

JV's got the resources to make any change he wants (other than height) and I hope he and the rest of our guys come into camp in prime shape.

Less injuries, more energy, better performance... oh and it's your job.
Pascal to the future.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#82 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Kenyon009 wrote:Alcohol is its owe macronutrient... So no he shouldn't be drinking beer.

False. (Assuming you meant to type: 'Alcohol is it's own macronutrient')

There are only three macronutrients.

Alcohol is a Carbohydrate.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
bigmandinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,368

Post#83 » by bigmandinky » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Yeah I'm Albanian and I can tell you for a fact that they don't even have McDonalds here or in many other Eastern European countries for that matter. And the cheap knockoffs that take its place mostly appeal to kids. The native restaurants they have are already so good and cheap (relative to Canada) that McDonalds would be a waste.

^ Also to comment om the point about alcohol: I think he meant to say that even tho its a carb, its stored in your body as fat once its metabolized so its a trrrible idea to drink a lot if you want to get lean.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#84 » by ontnut » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:23 pm

As someone who has worked specifically in weight loss and health improvement (at the MD level) through proper nutrition, I can tell a great many posters have no idea what they're talking about, in terms of general nutrition, and/or the actual requirements of a professional athlete who is trying to slim down.

If he's trying to slim down while still maintaining as much muscle mass as possible, he needs a diet that is focused primarily on lean proteins, and good sources of omega 3 fats (with some omega 6 in lesser quantities) in moderation. This will give him the building blocks he needs to build and maintain muscle, but few excess calories, as it is still a lower fat diet, with the focus with fat intake being on obtaining the essential fatty acids. Carbohydrates should come in smaller quantities, just enough complex carbs to sustain him through the workouts, but not too much that it ends up being undigested, or unused, post-workout, where it will likely turn into fat. Simple sugars should be avoided, including fruit. Green vegetables should be consumed for vitamins/minerals and for bulk (these also contain some carbs). The amount of carbs consumed during training should be less than during the season, because while he needs that immediate carb energy to perform at his best, he's trying to slim down during the offseason. Sodium needs to be minimized as well. Alcohol should be avoided at all costs, but if consumed, should be of the hard alcohol variety versus beer or wine, as it is lower carb and thus calorie, overall.

That's pretty much the generic plan for most people who are trying to slim down but still maintain muscle mass. Obviously this isn't the ONLY way, but it is pretty much proven to be the most effective.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#85 » by pbj » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

bigmandinky wrote:Yeah I'm Albanian and I can tell you for a fact that they don't even have McDonalds here or in many other Eastern European countries for that matter. And the cheap knockoffs that take its place mostly appeal to kids. The native restaurants they have are already so good and cheap (relative to Canada) that McDonalds would be a waste.

^ Also to comment om the point about alcohol: I think he meant to say that even tho its a carb, its stored in your body as fat once its metabolized so its a trrrible idea to drink a lot if you want to get lean.

They have McCafe's in Beograd and Sarajevo, and in Dubrovnik, Zagreb, Ljubljana, even Mostar. You're right though it's definitely not as popular as it is here.. there's probably like a dozen locations on the entire Balkan peninsula.

Why have a **** cheeseburger when you can order some cevapi in a lepina??
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#86 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:35 pm

bigmandinky wrote:its stored in your body as fat once its metabolized so its a trrrible idea to drink a lot if you want to get lean.

Edit: one of many myths surrounding alcohol

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh294/245-255.pdf

But I understand how complex this biochemistry is to learn. I've been at it for 23 years now and I have an RNC from the Alive Academy.
bigmandinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,368

Post#87 » by bigmandinky » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:50 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
bigmandinky wrote:its stored in your body as fat once its metabolized so its a trrrible idea to drink a lot if you want to get lean.

Metabolized means turned into energy. The exact opposite of storing.

But I understand how complex this biochemistry is to learn. I've been at it for 23 years now and I have an RNC from the Alive Academy.

Ahah yeah man idunno what it is but once I start typing with a phone my grammer, spelling, and terminology go to **** ahahah.

Agreed, it is interesting as hell, tho.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#88 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:55 pm

I just googled alcohol metabolism, started reading, went crossed eyed and got back to work.

I will say this, there is a lot more myth than fact swirling around alcohol and how it can negatively impact a physique. I know IFBB pros that drink every day of the offseason.
aw8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,570

Post#89 » by aw8 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:To me he's always looked like a big framed Lithuanian kid who would grow into a large body (big shoulders/chest, tree trunks).

I don't think he's going to be Arvydas-wide, but I don't think he has the body type to be the player many are hoping he can be.

Before the 2011 draft when nba TV was previewing all positions, David Blatt had an interesting analysis of JV. He said
A long, tall, physically raw but not basketball wise raw. A big guy who's a little bit thin and light, but he has the kind of frame that's going to allow him to put on healthy weight on, if he does it at the right pace and proportion.

Keep in mind he was 231 at the draft. A year later he came in around 250 in his debut in nba. Last season he started the season at 280. It seems that David Blatt seems to have better understanding of Jonas than the coaching staff in Toronto.

Here is the video if you're curious.
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu4GS9Vcfc[/youtube]
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#90 » by MadDogSHWA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Damn 280 is big in todays NBA.

The nice thing is that 270 AND lower bodyfat % is doable for Jonas.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#91 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:20 pm

aw8 wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:To me he's always looked like a big framed Lithuanian kid who would grow into a large body (big shoulders/chest, tree trunks).

I don't think he's going to be Arvydas-wide, but I don't think he has the body type to be the player many are hoping he can be.

Before the 2011 draft when nba TV was previewing all positions, David Blatt had an interesting analysis of JV. He said
A long, tall, physically raw but not basketball wise raw. A big guy who's a little bit thin and light, but he has the kind of frame that's going to allow him to put on healthy weight on, if he does it at the right pace and proportion.

Keep in mind he was 231 at the draft. A year later he came in around 250 in his debut in nba. Last season he started the season at 280. It seems that David Blatt seems to have better understanding of Jonas than the coaching staff in Toronto.

Here is the video if you're curious.
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu4GS9Vcfc[/youtube]

I remember that and it's also one of the reasons that image of him has been reinforced in my mind over the years.

He's a big framed dude. He was always going to be a big dude. He was a skinny teenager but yea ... teenager lol.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#92 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Not sure if I accidentally stumbled onto bodybuilders.com
Read on Twitter
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Post#93 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 pm

As long as he gets quicker and can hold his own in the paint him happy. Basketball players are generally skinny, even the ones that look jacked would appear skinny if you throw them into your local gyms.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#94 » by Kenyon009 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Kenyon009 wrote:Alcohol is its owe macronutrient... So no he shouldn't be drinking beer.

False. (Assuming you meant to type: 'Alcohol is it's own macronutrient')

There are only three macronutrients.

Alcohol is a Carbohydrate.

Lol no. Look at the nutritional contents of beer. It contains:

3.6g of carbs
0.5g of protein
0g of fat
43 calories

If 1 carb is 4 calories, 1 protein is 4 calories, 1 gram of fat is 9 calories (however there is none) that would mean from carbs and protein there would be [(3.6)(4) + (0.5)(4)] 16.4 calories. Where are the excess 26.6 calories coming from? Alcohol.

When alcohol is metabolised it makes acetate, that turns into Acetyl-CoA which has a similar metabolic path compared to both carbohydrate and fatty acid metabolism. People get confused because of this because while they CAN turn into a common path the first part of metabolism of alcohol is different from carbs.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,778

Post#95 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:02 am

ontnut wrote:As someone who has worked specifically in weight loss and health improvement (at the MD level) through proper nutrition, I can tell a great many posters have no idea what they're talking about, in terms of general nutrition, and/or the actual requirements of a professional athlete who is trying to slim down.

If he's trying to slim down while still maintaining as much muscle mass as possible, he needs a diet that is focused primarily on lean proteins, and good sources of omega 3 fats (with some omega 6 in lesser quantities) in moderation. This will give him the building blocks he needs to build and maintain muscle, but few excess calories, as it is still a lower fat diet, with the focus with fat intake being on obtaining the essential fatty acids. Carbohydrates should come in smaller quantities, just enough complex carbs to sustain him through the workouts, but not too much that it ends up being undigested, or unused, post-workout, where it will likely turn into fat. Simple sugars should be avoided, including fruit. Green vegetables should be consumed for vitamins/minerals and for bulk (these also contain some carbs). The amount of carbs consumed during training should be less than during the season, because while he needs that immediate carb energy to perform at his best, he's trying to slim down during the offseason. Sodium needs to be minimized as well. Alcohol should be avoided at all costs, but if consumed, should be of the hard alcohol variety versus beer or wine, as it is lower carb and thus calorie, overall.

That's pretty much the generic plan for most people who are trying to slim down but still maintain muscle mass. Obviously this isn't the ONLY way, but it is pretty much proven to be the most effective.

I have a question and I'm hoping you can answer it because it was somewhat hard for me to find a clear answer a few eyars ago and one part of your post threw me. It was probabaly just wording and I'm not being picky, but truly hoping you know and can answer it. When you said, and I paraphrase, build and maintain muscle and lose fat/weight. I had always beleived that losing fat/weight requires cutting calories and is an opposing goal to building muscle. Some people swear both can be accomplished at the same time but I can't see a scientific reason/method and have always thought losing fat and putting on muscle to be opposing goals that cannot be accomplished at the same time. Which is true and how? Thanks.
hipbone
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#96 » by hipbone » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:44 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Spoiler:
ontnut wrote:As someone who has worked specifically in weight loss and health improvement (at the MD level) through proper nutrition, I can tell a great many posters have no idea what they're talking about, in terms of general nutrition, and/or the actual requirements of a professional athlete who is trying to slim down.

I have a question and I'm hoping you can answer it because it was somewhat hard for me to find a clear answer a few eyars ago and one part of your post threw me. It was probabaly just wording and I'm not being picky, but truly hoping you know and can answer it. When you said, and I paraphrase, build and maintain muscle and lose fat/weight. I had always beleived that losing fat/weight requires cutting calories and is an opposing goal to building muscle. Some people swear both can be accomplished at the same time but I can't see a scientific reason/method and have always thought losing fat and putting on muscle to be opposing goals that cannot be accomplished at the same time. Which is true and how? Thanks.

Johnny,

I am not the poster you quoted, but I will help answer the question.

It is possible to build lean body mass and reduce non-lean body mass (fat) at the same time on a hypocaloric diet. There is evidence of it in small research studies. The most popular is Effect of a Hypocaloric Diet, Increased Protein Intake and Resistance Training on Lean Mass Gains and Fat Mass Loss in Overweight Police Officers.

However, just because it can happen does not mean it is likely to happen. I would hypothesize that the potential of it occurring is inversely related to training experience (and specific populations): The more training experience the less likely it is to occur. This would align with other physiological process that slow as they reach their homeostatic threshold.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager

Post#97 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:08 am

I think Johnny Bball might be referring to recomposition while maintaining weight.

It's still always a matter of energy balance. When you burn fat you yield energy to the body. When you build lean tissue you consume energy in the body. So long as you are burning the same amount of energy you're eating it's entirely possible to maintain weight and build lean mass and lose fat. So for example, someone new to weight training can experience significant recomposition while maintaining weight.

All that said recomposition is strictly for newbies only. If you've been at it for a while don't be happy with recomposition. Do a bulk or do a cut as you eluded to. Go hard after a specific goal. Just don't do either for too long ;)

It's all based on understanding the 1st law of Thermodynamics. The law of conservation of energy. Your body is a closed system and once energy enters the body (small intestine) it can only leave the body as heat or kinetic energy. Any surplus energy is stored. Conversely when you're hypo-caloric you will drop weight by mobilizing and burning stored energy in your body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_law_of_thermodynamics
RPzB
Senior
And1: 123

Post#98 » by RPzB » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 am

Here is a link to a very recent photos where JV meets some participants of special olympics. Perhaps all those that have a weird hobby of contemplating and speculating of JV's body and physique, can have another field day.

http://www.basketnews.lt/foto/sarasas-3365-20150730-jono-valanciuno-susitikimas-su-specialiosios-olimpiados-dalyviais.html
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#99 » by 0 - 100 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:53 pm

280? No wonder this guy was a pilon all year.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#100 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 pm

I think 260-265 with lower body fat % should be the goal for JV. That way, he'd be much more mobile and again start using his length instead of trying to do everything by sheer force. 280, if true, is just too excessive, you don't need that much weight to bang with the big boys in today's smallball NBA. Not sure who on the Raptors training staff thought of that, but that was a really incompetent decision.

Return to Toronto Raptors