ImageImageImageImageImage

OT : Could see some Kobe at the 4 next season according to Byron Scott

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: OT : Could see some Kobe at the 4 next season according to Byron Scott 

Post#41 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:If we were looking at this trend of smallball through the lenses of the moneyball approach, if the trend is small, undervalued assets in the market place would be bigs - acquiring bigs and playing big.

Playing small only works if you have versatile and GOOD small players.

Which bigs are undervalued, exactly? There really aren't all that many good bigs, to say nothing of good bigs that shoot, pass and defend. The Lakers currently have Roy Hibbert, Brandon Bass, Robert Sacre, Ryan Kelly and Julius Randle at PF/C. Honestly, Kobe is cooked, but if anybody is to blame here is Mitch Kupchak and the Jr Busses. Can you imagine if Roy Hibbert gets hurt and Julius Randle looks like a short-armed PF who fouls a lot, can't shoot and only goes left? What then?

I actually think a lot of this small ball stuff isn't so much coming from coaches trying to be avant-garde as it is from a total lack of PFs worth a damn coming up through the draft. Take a look at the PFs out there who are any good. Guys like Horford, Jefferson, Duncan, Aldridge, Dirk, Bosh, Millsap, Randolph, etc. are all either on the wrong side of 30, or very close to it. Where are the young guys coming up to take their places? Even Kevin Love turns 27 in September. It's Anthony Davis, and besides him you start looking at tweeners like Green, Mirotic, Markieff Morris, etc. Centers have seen a pretty significant resurgence, but power forwards are on the decline in the NBA, so rather than massively overpay for a better PF, killing their ability to add players at other positions, teams are doing what they can to adapt.
Bucket! Bucket!
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#42 » by ruckus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:By the way, the smartest coach in the league is going to start a traditional lineup of guys sized 6'11/6'11/6'7/6'6/6'2.

Yes, but those 6'11" guys are 2 of the most skilled big men in the league and then you have 2 pure 3+D guys behind them. So, are the Lakers going small for the sake of going small or are they putting their best 5 on the floor? And don't think Pop won't be playing small at some points. He'll have to in order to keep Duncan and the other vets fresh for the playoffs. With Green and Kawhi and Diaw, he has versatility and can put out multiple configurations.
Slan
Junior
And1: 806

Post#43 » by Slan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:02 pm

He's trying to make Kobe play the positions on his jersey :lol:
chuckerz
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#44 » by chuckerz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

I would rather have Kobe playing the 4 than Scola any day.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#45 » by Sherlock » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 pm

One legit question -- with this move towards small ball and the seeming lack of quality skilled bigs in the NBA, it seems like more teams are trotting out small ball lineups for at least part of the time. The NBA will start to look more like the NCAA in that there are more teams that don't have true 4s and 5s and are adjusting with their lineups to compensate.

I have to wonder if that means that guys who used to be labeled as 'tweeners' coming out of the NCAA (have great collegiate careers, but considered not strong enough for 4, not fast enough for 3 in the NBA) are now going to have a much greater value in the new direction of the NBA.

On this Moneyball question, that could be where the real opportunity lies -- finding some of these guys later in the draft and bringing them in.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,386

Post#46 » by Tha Cynic » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 pm

The Lakers have been turning into the Raptors ever since Jim Buss took over.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#47 » by Patman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:The Lakers have been turning into the Raptors ever since Jim Buss took over.

Ouch lol. But yeah, Jimmy Buss is an idiot. I shared this opinion on the Lakers board and some posters wanted me banned lol. Funny thing is I'm not even a Laker hater. I'm a Kobe guy and own a jersey of his. How some fans of the franchise with the 2nd most titles can have some of the thinnest skin is beyond me. Wish there were more Laker fans like yourself (or fans in general for that matter).
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#48 » by VC-INJURY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Who's the GOAT PF now:

Kobe or Duncan?
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#49 » by Dan2087 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:49 am

Casey going to adjust in game by putting Demar at the 5
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Post#50 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:18 am

This is a non story. Obviously Kobe can play the four if the right opportunity presents itself....a big IF. I don't get why people get the impression Byron Scott is going to deploy him at PF immediately. Any intelligent basketball person knows this was taken out of context. These naive sports writers love to blow things out of proportion.
Naija Boy
Banned User
And1: 2,242

Post#51 » by Naija Boy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am

Can't wait for Lakers vs. Raptors this year

Lowry vs. Russell at PG
CoJo vs. Clarkson at SG
Ross vs. Lou at SF
DD vs. Kobe at PF
DeMarre vs. Young at C

Return to Toronto Raptors