ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA.com: Masai and basketball in Africa

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Max Rockafeller
Sophomore
And1: 178

NBA.com: Masai and basketball in Africa 

Post#1 » by Max Rockafeller » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:18 pm

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/shaun_powell/07/29/raptors-gm-masai-ujiri-rooted-in-africa/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3a

Good read on Masai and the work he has been doing in his home country. From this article, the league really does see him as a top executive and believe he will one day bring a team an NBA championship.

For anyone who might ask why the general manager of the Toronto Raptors is spending his summer threatening to go hoarse half a world away, well, you must know this about Masai Ujiri. When he's in charge of an NBA franchise, he's in his element, because his peers find him very astute and a few years ago voted him the game's top executive. But when he's developing basketball and teaching life skills to children and young adults in Africa, he's in his homeland and his own skin, and there is no greater reward or satisfaction or privilege. When and if he wins his first NBA title, that might pull equal to this.

"I look at these kids and they remind me of me of when I was a young kid," he says. "I see me through them. All they need is a chance." It all runs with precision at this clinic, how the students are disciplined and determined, how their enthusiasm rubs off on the NBA players and coaches, how Ujiri's vision seems so ... right. As Ujiri gave pointers, a Hall of Famer who's also the pioneer of African basketball stood off to the side, shaking his head, astonished at the spectacle and the man in charge. "Masai has a lot of passion for this, and helping Africa year after year speaks about the person he is," says Hakeem Olajuwon. "He is a prince. That's what he is."

Tim Leiweke, the CEO of the Raptors, had just one name on his wish-list for Toronto's general manager vacancy three summers ago, someone he recently described as "a man amongst men." Leiweke only needed to be convinced, and for Ujiri, who was the Nuggets' GM at the time, that came naturally in the interview. "I had Masai come to my house in Vail and we didn't even talk about basketball the first hour," said Leiweke. "We talked about life in general, his passion for Africa and his foundation. He spoke about how he wanted to change the world."
Max Rockafeller
Sophomore

Re: NBA.com: Masai and basketball in Africa 

Post#2 » by Max Rockafeller » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Ujiri volunteered himself -- but of course -- and once inside the workout he talked up John Gabriel and Doc Rivers, then the GM and coach of the Magic, and left an impression. Ujiri offered to scout internationally pro-bono and was hired. He scoured the world for talent, going to tournaments and camps mostly on his own dime, and saved by sleeping on the sofas of the friends he made while playing professionally. His work ethic and constant hustle caught the attention of the Nuggets, who hired him to scout full-time in 2003.

Sleeping on couches while scouting for players around the world on his own dime. A lesson that belief in yourself and hard work can take you anywhere.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#3 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Max Rockafeller wrote:
Ujiri volunteered himself -- but of course -- and once inside the workout he talked up John Gabriel and Doc Rivers, then the GM and coach of the Magic, and left an impression. Ujiri offered to scout internationally pro-bono and was hired. He scoured the world for talent, going to tournaments and camps mostly on his own dime, and saved by sleeping on the sofas of the friends he made while playing professionally. His work ethic and constant hustle caught the attention of the Nuggets, who hired him to scout full-time in 2003.

Sleeping on couches while scouting for players around the world on his own dime. A lesson that belief in yourself and hard work can take you anywhere.

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#4 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Is "man amongst men" what Leiweke really intended to say? I have no idea what that means.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Max Rockafeller
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Max Rockafeller » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:Is "man amongst men" what Leiweke really intended to say? I have no idea what that means.

LOL I thought the same thing. If so, probably the most neutral compliment ever made.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#6 » by 0 - 100 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:21 pm

Best quote by the best GM

And so: Ujiri got value for Melo and later Bargnani when he had little to no leverage in either deal.
"He took two tough situations where he was perhaps at a disadvantage and actually turned them in his favor," said Spurs GM R.C. Buford. "He handled the Denver situation better than anyone could've imagined. Masai is in an elite group. His ability to read people is probably unmatched."
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#7 » by RedX » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Truly love MU. Hope he doesn't leave with TL, we need to make sure MU sticks around for a very long time.

No lie, I would buy a Ujiri jersey right now if it was available. As much as I have my favourite players, MU has won me over as a GM and person.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#8 » by Tofubeque » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Nothing but respect for Masai. Hope he stays in Toronto for a long time. Someday that top-flight prospect will come out of these camps, and he'll want to play for the Raptors.

Also like this quote from Leiweke:

"Our talk was supposed to be for a few hours but it lasted the entire day," he said. "I had a bed made up downstairs and pajamas and workout clothes. I had a toothbrush and shaving kit. I wasn't letting him leave until we were done."

A very "always be closing" kind of guy.
props Turbozone
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#9 » by anotherhomer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:08 am

0 - 100 wrote:Best quote by the best GM

And so: Ujiri got value for Melo and later Bargnani when he had little to no leverage in either deal.
"He took two tough situations where he was perhaps at a disadvantage and actually turned them in his favor," said Spurs GM R.C. Buford. "He handled the Denver situation better than anyone could've imagined. Masai is in an elite group. His ability to read people is probably unmatched."

I find it interesting there is a 20-page thread where some ppl are criticizing Ujiri as a BC 2.0 when nothing's further from the truth

Yet when this insightful article points out the good job he's done, no one really pays attention, as evident by the 7 posts.

This quote really illustrates one of the many differences between BC and Ujiri. Ujiri has managed to be patient and making the most of the little leverage he has.

That's on top of the good work he's done.

I get that raptors roster isn't that great but he's done well with the cards he had to play with.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,070

Post#10 » by kieferli » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:35 am

I still really don't understand som of our fans , he been doing a really good Jobs so far and still call him out . He is a really the great man and great GM
Credit:Clutch0z24
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#11 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:58 am

No way, RealGM armchair fools know better than the GM of the Spurs...
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#12 » by curryking3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:35 pm

So much respect for him as the Raptors GM.

But infinitely more for his philanthropy and human work in Africa.

It takes a much, much bigger human being to do something for others.

<3 MU. Keep it up.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#13 » by Sherlock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 pm

anotherhomer wrote:

I find it interesting there is a 20-page thread where some ppl are criticizing Ujiri as a BC 2.0 when nothing's further from the truth

Yet when this insightful article points out the good job he's done, no one really pays attention, as evident by the 7 posts.

This quote really illustrates one of the many differences between BC and Ujiri. Ujiri has managed to be patient and making the most of the little leverage he has.

That's on top of the good work he's done.

I get that raptors roster isn't that great but he's done well with the cards he had to play with.

This.

RC Buford has the best track record of any active GM in the league right now. If he's saying this about Masai, that means something. We've got ourselves a good and respected GM. That doesn't mean he'll always make the perfect move, but he can be counted upon to be right more often than he's wrong. That's pretty damn good.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
toast
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#14 » by toast » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:17 pm

There are not many GM's that I think are as respected and admired by NBA players as Masai is.
This has a real positive impact on the Raps. If you are a potential free agent player like Biyombo don't tell me that having MU sit across from you doesn't draw your attention more than BC ever could. I think more importantly his rep will at least get the interview. Aldridge sitting down with the Raps had as much to do with MU as did the Raps situation.
GreatDane
Banned User
And1: 571

Post#15 » by GreatDane » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:53 pm

toast wrote:There are not many GM's that I think are as respected and admired by NBA players as Masai is.
This has a real positive impact on the Raps. If you are a potential free agent player like Biyombo don't tell me that having MU sit across from you doesn't draw your attention more than BC ever could. I think more importantly his rep will at least get the interview. Aldridge sitting down with the Raps had as much to do with MU as did the Raps situation.

Biyombo is a bargain bin basketball player, the GM of the 76ers could have sat across from him and he would be all eyes and ears. Aldridge on the other hand is more credible.

Also, Bryan Colangelo is highly respected around the NBA, your blind hate is embarrassing. He built a powerhouse in Phoenix after getting Steve Nash to sign with them. But he doesn't draw attention, right :roll:
toast
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by toast » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:28 pm

GreatDane wrote:
toast wrote:There are not many GM's that I think are as respected and admired by NBA players as Masai is.

Biyombo is a bargain bin basketball player, the GM of the 76ers could have sat across from him and he would be all eyes and ears. Aldridge on the other hand is more credible.

Also, Bryan Colangelo is highly respected around the NBA, your blind hate is embarrassing. He built a powerhouse in Phoenix after getting Steve Nash to sign with them. But he doesn't draw attention, right :roll:

Please don't use hyper-bole to put an emotion that I did not in the lease convey in my post. I'll say if my behaviour is embarrassing you have no position to make that judgement. In no way am I hating on BC. I am just stating the relative strengths of both.

Let me elaborate. I believe MU has a genuine respect and admiration from a lot of players, because of his work and where he came from and how far he has come. You can see it in how Chris Paul one of the more respected players genuinely looks up to MU.
Let me use an analogy it would be like if you are a musician looking for a new deal and big firm record exec calls you for a meeting or Dr Dre calls you. You answer Dr Dre's call. I don't think that people are appreciating the true respect that MU is generating world wide. He is "basketball without borders" which is a very big deal in the international basketball scene.

BC was just an exec. Most of his reputation was built on his father who has real respect in the league. By the last few years of the Suns his highest point of respect was "maybe he is not just his fathers kid and is good on his own". But this reputation was based totally on basketball and didn't hit a personal level. It also evaporated with us. Put it this way if BC was so highly respected wouldn't he have a job in basketball 2 years after being let go. My position of BC is different in that I don't hate or love BC, he was just a guy. He had some evaluation strengths a weaknesses with his vision and patience. Just a run of the mill exec that could be replaced.

When I have time I will elaborate but I really think that MU has the same philosophies and strengths as a Morey, and has done just as much or more than he did in his first two years. People forget Morey spent 5 years accumulating assets before trading for a superstar.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#17 » by Tacoma » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:56 pm

toast wrote:
GreatDane wrote:

Please don't use hyper-bole to put an emotion that I did not in the lease convey in my post. I'll say if my behaviour is embarrassing you have no position to make that judgement. In no way am I hating on BC. I am just stating the relative strengths of both.

Let me elaborate. I believe MU has a genuine respect and admiration from a lot of players, because of his work and where he came from and how far he has come. You can see it in how Chris Paul one of the more respected players genuinely looks up to MU.
Let me use an analogy it would be like if you are a musician looking for a new deal and big firm record exec calls you for a meeting or Dr Dre calls you. You answer Dr Dre's call. I don't think that people are appreciating the true respect that MU is generating world wide. He is "basketball without borders" which is a very big deal in the international basketball scene.

BC was just an exec. Most of his reputation was built on his father who has real respect in the league. By the last few years of the Suns his highest point of respect was "maybe he is not just his fathers kid and is good on his own". But this reputation was based totally on basketball and didn't hit a personal level. It also evaporated with us. Put it this way if BC was so highly respected wouldn't he have a job in basketball 2 years after being let go. My position of BC is different in that I don't hate or love BC, he was just a guy. He had some evaluation strengths a weaknesses with his vision and patience. Just a run of the mill exec that could be replaced.

When I have time I will elaborate but I really think that MU has the same philosophies and strengths as a Morey, and has done just as much or more than he did in his first two years. People forget Morey spent 5 years accumulating assets before trading for a superstar.

I am/was one of the biggest BC haters but BC also won Executive of the Year and was all around highly regarded at the time of his signing and first 2 years with the Raptors - I would say even more respected than Masai is today. It was only afterwards when his moves started to fail that his pedestal fell.

BC's mentor was his father. Masai's mentor was BC. Without BC, Masai would not be an NBA GM today. Who would've thunk back in 2008 that BC's value would eventually sink so low? Masai is still a relatively new GM. Denver is in tank mode 2 years after Masai left. The book on him as a GM is still to be written. To borrow from Masai's playbook... his record is still being evaluated.
toast
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by toast » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Masai has also won executive of the year. There was always a bit of a question even when he was hired how he would do away from daddy. I think Masai's reputation 5 years into his GM career is higher than BC's has ever been and it is only 5 years in and only 2 in TO.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#19 » by Sherlock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 pm

From yesterday's Zach Lowe article/interview w/ Flip Saunders. This is Saunder's quote:

Look, there are positives and negatives to [being coach and GM]. You need checks and balances. You can’t make snap decisions. What helps is, I came up in the CBA, where you did everything. I was president, GM, coach, everything, for seven years there. You get to understand the intermingling of the business and basketball sides, because they both have to be successful. You learn how to deal with agents. Building trust with agents is as important as anything in our league now.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-flip-saunders-on-building-the-baby-t-wolves-luck-and-mountain-dew/

My underline. But this is what MU has done a great job of doing. And along with Lieweke's efforts, he's changing the perception of the organization, not just by players but by agents too. That's why we're getting meetings now, that's why we're signing FAs, that's why the Raptors' name is coming up in random tweets when it says such and such player is interested in such and such teams or such and such teams are interested in such and such player.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#20 » by curryking3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Phil A Xiao wrote:From yesterday's Zach Lowe article/interview w/ Flip Saunders. This is Saunder's quote:

Look, there are positives and negatives to [being coach and GM]. You need checks and balances. You can’t make snap decisions. What helps is, I came up in the CBA, where you did everything. I was president, GM, coach, everything, for seven years there. You get to understand the intermingling of the business and basketball sides, because they both have to be successful. You learn how to deal with agents. Building trust with agents is as important as anything in our league now.
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-flip-saunders-on-building-the-baby-t-wolves-luck-and-mountain-dew/

My underline. But this is what MU has done a great job of doing. And along with Lieweke's efforts, he's changing the perception of the organization, not just by players but by agents to. That's why we're getting meetings now, that's why we're signing FAs, that's why the Raptors' name is coming up in random tweets when it says such and such player is interested in such and such teams or such and such teams are interested in such and such player.

+1

Return to Toronto Raptors