ImageImageImageImageImage

Terrence Ross Question

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Eating a Book
General Manager
And1: 2,334

Re: Terrence Ross Question 

Post#41 » by Eating a Book » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Eating a Book wrote:
Thespianoid wrote:IMO, the two biggest things holding Terrence Ross back are his tendency to settle for jumpshots, and an incredible unwillingness to go north-south with his dribble. A close third, obviously his aversion to contact.

When he does put the ball on the floor, and moves forward with it rather than side-to-side (to settle for a jumper), he makes things happen. He's got pretty good vision and passing ability. It just doesn't happen nearly often enough.

At some point we've got to give up the idea of Ross being anything but a jumpshooter. That's what he is. His free throw rate was awful in college, it's awful in the NBA, and that's how it'll remain.

If Ross were traded to a team and all they demanded of him was to move off the ball and hit jumpers off of curls, to be a catch-and-shoot three-point shooter, and to get the odd fast-break bucket, then that'd be the right place for Ross, offensively.

Beyond that, if anyone gets his head screwed on properly, he's got the physical capability to be a plus defender on the wing.

That's the Terrence Ross ceiling.

That about sums it up.

Hit open 3's, dunk on fast breaks and play some D. Could be a useful rotation player off bench under the right system/coach.

Oh, totally. Even as a starter, as long as he's not being relied on to create opportunities for himself with the ball. He's a good, useful player -- or, rather, he could be -- but a lot of us expect too much from him.

I do expect he bounces back a bit this year. His scoring numbers might not go up -- they might even go down, a bit, on the whole -- but I'm betting his per minute/efficiency numbers are better and that there's some improvement on D.
@terriblejazz
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#42 » by TheGoodDoctor » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 pm

1. No...despite all his physical tools and talent because he lacks confidence, is mentally weak and inconsistent he'll never breakout

2. Pretty close. He can probably gain more consistency to be a decent player. Basically the hope would to be another Afflalo.

3. Yes. DD is our SG, Ross had greater value when we lacked a starting quality SF. Now he's just a rotation SG.

3. I doubt it unless he has some huge breakout game if Casey ever lets him see daylight. But Casey is a dummy who more likely just use Lowry, Joseph at the same time instead of giving Powell some burn.

4. Imo not at all. People need to stop dreaming that he's suddenly going to get it and make use of his skills...ala Bargnani. While admittingly not as bad, he is mentally weak like Andrea which is the core factor for his inconsistent play.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#43 » by Rapz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 pm

I describe TR in one word: immature

Higher potential than DD: could score with ease and has tools to be a good defender, but he needs to grow up mentally first (might or might not happen).
I do hope he finds the motivation to get to right mental state, since he has the physical tools to be an awesome player.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#44 » by Boogie! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Thespianoid wrote:IMO, the two biggest things holding Terrence Ross back are his tendency to settle for jumpshots, and an incredible unwillingness to go north-south with his dribble. A close third, obviously his aversion to contact.

When he does put the ball on the floor, and moves forward with it rather than side-to-side (to settle for a jumper), he makes things happen. He's got pretty good vision and passing ability. It just doesn't happen nearly often enough.

i agree about the passing...

i disagree about "settling" and "unwillingness." i think people often use the wrong words assess players and it gives a completely different context to the situation... and its the number one problem people have with regards to coming up with accurate assessments of their games because it makes it more subjective than objective... there's no way to determine what someone is "willing" to do... there's no way to judge how "mentally strong" someone is... not from just watching a basketball game... all you can tell from watching is production... thats why it bothers me when people like to make these criticisms on players because theres no information available that gives you the ability to judge these things accurately...

ross doesnt settle for jumpers because he's unwilling to drive... it's because HE CAN'T... he doesn't have the skills necessarily to consistently take it to the basket... he can be explosive in a straight line but he doesn't have the ball control or body control or footwork to be able to navigate tight quarters or get around defenders... so even if he blows by his initial man, if help defense comes on time, hes pretty much screwed unless he passes the ball... and hes not good enough with the ball to use a series of moves to help him get by his man... so all thats available to him is the jumpshot...

you can try to drive by the defense all the time but if you cant make anything happen from it, it's useless... the issue with ross isnt that he doesnt want to, it's that he just can't be productive that way because of his lack of skill... which is why people need to stop expecting him to be something hes not... hes not a guy that doesnt try.... hes just limited...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#45 » by Sherlock » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Rapz wrote:I describe TR in one word: immature

Higher potential than DD: could score with ease and has tools to be a good defender, but he needs to grow up mentally first (might or might not happen).
I do hope he finds the motivation to get to right mental state, since he has the physical tools to be an awesome player.

I agree w/ this.

His strengths are his athleticism and his shooting (both quickness of release and smoothness of his stroke).

His weaknesses are that he's weak both mentally and physically, and he has a low basketball IQ.

Personally, I don't think Ross has the mental strength, the work ethic, or the discipline to make himself into much more than the player we're seen today. I'm not saying we should get rid of Ross for no return, but I certainly won't be upset if/when we trade him away.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#46 » by Bankai » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Dukenukem23 wrote:He's what bargnani was when hr was,a raptor.drafted higher than he should have been and given unrealistic expectations. Also similar to bargs he's shown flashes brilliance but lacks any consistency because he has no heart,commitment to get better and I also question his love for the game.

This nails it.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#47 » by cram » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 pm

He was better 2 yrs ago (lock down defender, productive complementary part of the offense), and then last season was a big disappointment....he just seemed so passive. Supposedly has bone spurs (and had surgery to get them removed), and some personal issues which may have taken his eye off the ball last season.

The org seems to believe in him, so maybe there's still something good there. I have high hopes.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#48 » by Son Goku 25 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Just wanted to give you props on becoming a Mod while only starting in 2014, ballboys must be really hyped. lol
Read
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,639

Post#49 » by C_Money » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 pm

MapleMan wrote:
C_Money wrote:He's very athletic but doesn't actually use it. Give Demar T Ross's athleticism and he'd be a superstar.

His game wouldn't change a whole lot, but if you give Demar T-Ross' shooting stroke? There's your superstar.

Demar runs like he has cinder blocks tied to his feet. Give him the quickness that T Ross has and he'll be able to blow by defenders and get to the rim.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,659

Post#50 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sat Aug 1, 2015 12:20 am

Boogie! wrote:
Ganan23 wrote:Terrence Ross started out sick and y'all CANT forget that. His first season he won the damn dunk title and was hyping up Toronto. Then he started drifting away, even though everyone thought he'd get better every season he got worse. He's been less athletic every season for some stupid reason. So right now, if Ross can go back to his roots while coming off the bench, he can basically replace Lou Williams

thats actually way off... he was pretty crap in his first season... the dunk contest was nice but that had no bearing on his performance on the court... there was actually a contingent of posters that were ready to give up on him after his FIRST SEASON... second season comes around, we're the rudy chuckers, and his role/performance off the bench hasnt changed... people still hating... rudy gay gets traded and suddenly hes thrown into the fire as a starter... he proceeds to make an impact, being a standout defender, making open 3s... he had that one game against indiana where he destroyed paul george on both ends... he explodes with the 50 point game and people are calling him a future all-star... season 3 comes around and hes actually not much different from season 2... not a BAD THING but not necessarily a good thing either, considering no huge strides were made... suddenly, i guess maybe because expectations were so high, or whatever, hes a scrub again...

the fact that your recollection of his career trajectory is way off further supports my belief that people dont actually make informed judgements of players but rather go with what the popular opinion is...

What you said just validates the popular opinion. His outbursts of potential were anomalies (ala Charlie V) and he's just mediocre, maybe even below that. His shooting is inconsistent, he can't get to the basket at all so his athleticism means nothing and his defence isn't there every night (not even most nights). If he isn't hitting 3's, he's all but useless on the court (see Nets series). What makes him any different than a Henry Walker?
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#51 » by JWiLL02 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:22 am

The thing with Ross is, he doesn't need to be a guy who goes hard into contact in the paint to get FT attempts, but he needs to better utilize an extra dribble or two to get into that "in between" area to get off floaters.

His touch is **** great when he actually uses it, as we've seen occasionally. He just needs to make a more concerted effort to mix up his game.

He's a bit too quick to pull up for the J, even when he has a step on the defender. I don't expect he'll ever increase his FT rate by much, but we've seen flashes of that in between game and it's a good one.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
TdotForLife
Banned User
And1: 492

Post#52 » by TdotForLife » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:07 am

To think that T.Ross is worth keeping is a big **** joke. Look at this clown right now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/T_DotFlight31/status/627040240553717760[/tweet]
Lunchpailhero1
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,105

Post#53 » by Lunchpailhero1 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:18 am

This guy needs his tires pumped constantly to be successful. It seems every year the organization tries to inject confidence into him. 2014 he played in the drew league and shadowed DD, this year he was pretty much on the bench for the summer league for at least one game and was active and vocal with our young guys. I think they are going to give him the 6th man title, and give him a chance to lead the second unit.

He is one of those guys that's hard to completely give up on, when you know the talent is there and can be there nightly if he gets his head right. Hopefully if he gets the 6th man role, it will take some pressure off him but at the same time, give him some important secondary responsibility
sprewellchokes
Junior
And1: 346

Post#54 » by sprewellchokes » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:01 pm

Ross is in desperate need of a sports psychologist. it's like he's scared to be in the nba. If he doesn't address that this season then we should ship his ass out
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#55 » by Inevitable » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:05 pm

TdotForLife wrote:To think that T.Ross is worth keeping is a big **** joke. Look at this clown right now.

4:56am.. he must have been fapping to her.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#56 » by Dukenukem23 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:18 pm

TdotForLife wrote:To think that T.Ross is worth keeping is a big **** joke. Look at this clown right now.

Your the clown, let the kid live. Nothing wrong with what he posted.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#57 » by Dukenukem23 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:20 pm

Inevitable wrote:

4:56am.. he must have been fapping to her.

:lol: didn't notice the time, that is too funny
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#58 » by Kenyon009 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:43 pm

He is not a kid. He's an adult and he's 24 years old. This should be his statistical peak... If he doesn't produce next year I would probably let him go in free agency. He should be a prime example of why you don't let your coach draft for you and why you should go for the BPA and not the best fit (Drummond).

Off topic but what could have been :(

Drummond
Johnson
Gay (Davis+Calderon)
Harden (DeRozan+JV)
Lowry (2014 Lotto pick)
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#59 » by agentzero2010 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:43 pm

I could see him become a solid 18PPG/5RPG/2.53PG/45%FG player in his prime but I could also see him being out of the league in 2 years. I would not be surprised by either scenario.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#60 » by dacrusha » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:04 pm

The thing with Ross is that you never ever hear the coaching staff, management or the media praising his work ethic or talk about his willingness to build on his foundation of athleticism. He isn't a 'first person in the gym, last person out' player like DD and Lowry.

He seems to care more about his Twitter and Instagram accounts than he does about actually improving his game and unfortunately, he is turning into one of the more immature players from his draft class.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan

Return to Toronto Raptors