ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What is the NBA equivalent to what the Jays are doing?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Re: OT: What is the NBA equivalent to what the Jays are doing? 

Post#101 » by JN » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:22 am

I haven't read the entire thread, so I am sure it has already been noted, but to compare the value of the best player at a postion in baseball to the best player at a position in the NBA is a flawed exercise.

A top 5 player at a position in the NBA will have more impact than a top player at any position in baseball... unless we are talking early 2000 era Barry Bonds.

MLB will also have many more top prospects because there are about 15 major roles to fill on a baseball team... much more than the 5-7 in basketball
Financials
Sixth Man
And1: 1,859

Post#102 » by Financials » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:26 pm

JN wrote:I haven't read the entire thread, so I am sure it has already been noted, but to compare the value of the best player at a postion in baseball to the best player at a position in the NBA is a flawed exercise.

A top 5 player at a position in the NBA will have more impact than a top player at any position in baseball... unless we are talking early 2000 era Barry Bonds.

MLB will also have many more top prospects because there are about 15 major roles to fill on a baseball team... much more than the 5-7 in basketball

while they cant play every game, id argue that a pitcher has more of an impact on a baseball game than any one single player in the nba. lbj is crazy good and controls a lot, but he cant literally win alone. If you can get a guy throwing no hitters every time he steps up then what? auto win. need 1 run. technically don't even need fielders, but you get what I mean by that
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,172

Re: Re: 

Post#103 » by Huskies1947 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:29 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Huskies1947 wrote:Can't win them all.. This team is gonna be real good in a week or two when they start gelling together.

It's baseball....what "gellilng" is done?

Have you ever played baseball? New pitchers have to figure out how to play with martin.. Gibby needs to figure out how to run with guys like ben revere.

I know it's most individual of the team sports, but it's still a team sport.
Chandler55
Pro Prospect
And1: 340

Post#104 » by Chandler55 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 6:43 pm

its like we got this guy on the raptors
https://twitter.com/FAN590Walker/status/628264309420916736
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#105 » by NBACommissioner » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:35 pm

Meursault wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:Doesn't Donaldson have a 7 or 8 RBI lead on Trout? I know Trout has a ridiculous WAR but what exactly give him that advantage when Donaldson is leading the league in scoring.

The Angels don't have an offence nearly as potent as the Jays. The fact that the Jays have collectively scored 130+ more runs than the Angels yet Donaldson has only about a half dozen more RBIs than Trout is quite telling as well.

Is there a stat for Clutch because Donaldson is ridiculously clutch...I really doubt Trout is better regardless of advanced stats. The west is weaker than the east too.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,530

Re: Re: 

Post#106 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:47 pm

Huskies1947 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Huskies1947 wrote:Can't win them all.. This team is gonna be real good in a week or two when they start gelling together.

It's baseball....what "gellilng" is done?

Have you ever played baseball? New pitchers have to figure out how to play with martin.. Gibby needs to figure out how to run with guys like ben revere.

I know it's most individual of the team sports, but it's still a team sport.

Yup, Price and Martin really struggled today. And how to run with Revere? Are you serious? A fast base stealer is a fast base stealer.

You can't be serious with this stuff.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#107 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 8:56 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:
Meursault wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:Doesn't Donaldson have a 7 or 8 RBI lead on Trout? I know Trout has a ridiculous WAR but what exactly give him that advantage when Donaldson is leading the league in scoring.

The Angels don't have an offence nearly as potent as the Jays. The fact that the Jays have collectively scored 130+ more runs than the Angels yet Donaldson has only about a half dozen more RBIs than Trout is quite telling as well.

Is there a stat for Clutch because Donaldson is ridiculously clutch...I really doubt Trout is better regardless of advanced stats. The west is weaker than the east too.

Yup, they have clutch stats. Trout is still better and it's still not close. For some reason people just don't get how unreal Trout is.
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#108 » by NBACommissioner » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:12 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:
Meursault wrote:

Yup, they have clutch stats. Trout is still better and it's still not close. For some reason people just don't get how unreal Trout is.

I don't think people get how unreal donaldson is either though. He has 9 RBI's and 3 HR in his last 5 games vs the AL Leading team and the Wildcard team. Mike Trout had 1 RBI combines in 5 games vs those teams.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#109 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:16 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:

I don't think people get how unreal donaldson is either though. He has 9 RBI's and 3 HR in his last 5 games vs the AL Leading team and the Wildcard team.

I can't believe the A's traded Donaldson, who was under contract at a very affordable price for the next 3 seasons.

What ya doin', Beane?
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,333

Post#110 » by tdotrep2 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:27 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

I don't think people get how unreal donaldson is either though. He has 9 RBI's and 3 HR in his last 5 games vs the AL Leading team and the Wildcard team.

I can't believe the A's traded Donaldson, who was under contract at a very affordable price for the next 3 seasons.

What ya doin', Beane?

Statistics :D
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,137

Post#111 » by Risk101 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:32 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/628345924255916032[/tweet]
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,172

Post#112 » by Huskies1947 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:46 pm

Risk101 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/628345924255916032[/tweet]

Not worried about the Yankees..
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#113 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:49 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:

I don't think people get how unreal donaldson is either though. He has 9 RBI's and 3 HR in his last 5 games vs the AL Leading team and the Wildcard team. Mike Trout had 1 RBI combines in 5 games vs those teams.

Umm yeah, people obviously do. Donaldson is a beast, maybe the MVP of the AL if Trout didn't exist.

To keep things simple, Trout is slugging 80 points higher than JD. While playing centre. But yeah, keep leaning on clutch stats, which you haven't even researched. 5 game sample? Meaningless.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,783

Re: Re: OT: What is the NBA equivalent to what the Jays are doing? 

Post#114 » by Potential » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:54 pm

idk if we should go by slugging percentage to determine who's a better player
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#115 » by Latrell » Mon Aug 3, 2015 11:58 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Umm yeah, people obviously do. Donaldson is a beast, maybe the MVP of the AL if Trout didn't exist.

To keep things simple, Trout is slugging 80 points higher than JD. While playing centre. But yeah, keep leaning on clutch stats, which you haven't even researched. 5 game sample? Meaningless.

No one is saying Trout isn't better. I'm not sure what your definition of 'not even close' is though..
staceyrj13
Ballboy
And1: 47

Post#116 » by staceyrj13 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:20 am

Trout is by far the best player in the world. But Donaldson is a monster and is gonna be the closest guy to taking Trout's MVP from him. If Toronto gets hot and is better than LAA, Donaldson could/should win.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#117 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:21 am

Latrell wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:

No one is saying Trout isn't better. I'm not sure what your definition of 'not even close' is though..

A clear gap, that's obvious enough that nobody can make a legit case for JD.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Re: Re: OT: What is the NBA equivalent to what the Jays are doing? 

Post#118 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:22 am

Potential wrote:idk if we should go by slugging percentage to determine who's a better player

That's one of many, many things in Trout's favour.

Is there anything other than RBI's that puts Donaldson ahead?
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#119 » by Patman » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:29 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:
Meursault wrote:

It's because a lot of people still think the most important hitting stats are homers, RBI's, and batting average.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#120 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 12:32 am

Patman wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
NBACommissioner wrote:

It's because a lot of people still think the most important hitting stats are homers, RBI's, and batting average.

Yep. And even so, Trout still wins at HR and BA.

Return to Toronto Raptors