ImageImageImageImageImage

The Star: Patterson has inside track as starting PF

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Re: The Star: Patterson has inside track as starting PF 

Post#41 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:24 pm

deeps6x wrote:Hey, a basketball thread, not some rapper BS.

Garbage article. PF starter will be based on best match up. Scola likely gets half of the starts, just like he did last season, and 2Pat will get the other half. Both will split minutes at PF fairly evenly most likely.

What matchups favour PP and which favour Scola? I don't see much of a difference. It's also pretty much unprecedented for coaches to change the starting lineup constantly. It's probably a good idea, it just never happens.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#42 » by Patman » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:35 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:

Garbage article. PF starter will be based on best match up. Scola likely gets half of the starts, just like he did last season, and 2Pat will get the other half. Both will split minutes at PF fairly evenly most likely.

What matchups favour PP and which favour Scola? I don't see much of a difference. It's also pretty much unprecedented for coaches to change the starting lineup constantly. It's probably a good idea, it just never happens.

Scola is better to defend a low-post back to the basket scorer.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#43 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:38 pm

Patman wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

So Zach Randolph? That pretty much ends the list of back to the basket PF's.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Patman » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:42 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Patman wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

He can slide to C if JV gets into foul trouble. I'd rather Scola defend a low-post C than Bismack. Bismack is better against the likes of DJ, Dwight, Noel, Drummond.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#45 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:43 pm

Patman wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Patman wrote:

He can slide to C if JV gets into foul trouble. I'd rather Scola defend a low-post C than Bismack. Bismack is better against the likes of DJ, Dwight, Noel, Drummond.

That's true. However, still not seeing any other matchup situations that favour starting Scola over PP.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Patman » Sat Aug 1, 2015 4:44 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Patman wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

That's true. However, still not seeing any other matchup situations that favour starting Scola over PP.

Agreed.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#47 » by SaveTheHens » Sat Aug 1, 2015 5:55 pm

Patterson is one of our most reliable players. I could care less what people think about his rebounding, he makes big plays when they count and he spaces us out nicely so I'd like to see him start.
MapleMan
Junior
And1: 199

Post#48 » by MapleMan » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:07 pm

I think letting go of GV + Lou could really benefit the Raps on the boards especially Patterson, as it was quite evident that those two didn't really give it their 100% on the defensive side of things and if they did then that still wasn't good enough. I don't think we'll see much missed assignments on boxouts compared to last year.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#49 » by hype_2004 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:32 am

Lunchpailhero1 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Lunchpailhero1 wrote:Pat might surprise alot of people this year. Sure he has his weaknesses, but he showed glimpses of growth last year in smaller areas like passing and pick and roll D. He will work well with Hi-low game with JV on offence and is athletic enough to compete on D.

Not an ideal starting PF, but I think he can be solid for now.

I dosagree, he's the prototypical PF in today's NBA small ball offense, shoots the trey, has good quickness, intelligent, hustles, runs the floor well and has the vesatility to play SF/PF and C on occasions.

Those are all his strengths yes, but you can't ignore that he has pretty glaring weaknesses that are required to be a consistent impact starter.

Everyone in the NBA has their imperfections and flaws even Lebron James. Pat solid starter and better than many young PFs in the NBA. You cant ask for any more than that unless of course the team manages to snag Lamarcus Aldridge.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#50 » by ThatClockWork » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:11 am

C_Money wrote:
carl_english wrote:Dunno about Val and PP on defence

Yeah we did a good job addressing the lack of perimeter defence but the D inside is still a problem. Im thinking Biyombo might get more playing time than expected.

That's the issue. For the system Casey appears to desire, Bismack is a much better fit playing alongside Patterson in the frontcourt. I expect he'll be getting decent minutes off of the bench.

As of right now, I still do not understand how Val fits with this system.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#51 » by Thespianoid » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:24 am

ThatClockWork wrote:
C_Money wrote:

Yeah we did a good job addressing the lack of perimeter defence but the D inside is still a problem. Im thinking Biyombo might get more playing time than expected.

That's the issue. For the system Casey appears to desire, Bismack is a much better fit playing alongside Patterson in the frontcourt. I expect he'll be getting decent minutes off of the bench.

After a perusing of NBA.com's stats, I think JV can fit just fine if they find a way to allow him to stay inside 10 feet and not have to come outside the paint every possession. He's pretty decent there, but once he's forced to leave the paint, his defensive effectiveness drops off DRAMATICALLY. and that's not an exaggeration. He goes from an average FG% differential of -.3.3% 10 feet and in, to +4.2% 15 feet and out. It's bad.

Most importantly, he needs to do a better job of contesting spot ups. Kick outs from penetration, mostly. Maybe off PnR action, but I can't be sure given the gaps in data logging. If he stays closer to his man in team defense situations, and doesn't opt to stay in the paint to protect non-existent paint attempts, he'll be just fine.

Interesting to note, JV's defensive metrics on post ups and roll man are better than Biyombo's. Displayed below, and included Patterson's. Make of it what you will.

Post Up

JV - 20.2% freq, 35.7% FG, 0.73 PPP

Biyombo - 20.7% freq, 41.0% FG, 0.84 PPP

Patterson - 10.2% freq, 46.7% FG, 0.89 PPP

Roll Man

JV - 10% freq, 41.3% FG, 0.82 PPP

Biyombo - 9.8% freq, 51.1% FG, 1.04 PPP

Patterson - 8.6% freq, 33.3% FG, 0.71 PPP
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#52 » by orbesnet » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:35 pm

C_Money wrote:

I believe the thinking is that with better perimeter D we'll have better interior D too... I mean, if our guards and wings can keep their man in front of them then our bigs won't have to help as much/won't be cought out of position as often. Or at least we can hope that's the plan.
Pascal to the future.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#53 » by orbesnet » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:48 pm

ThatClockWork wrote:

Wait... there's a system?!

I agree that we may see a reasonable swing on D compared to last year without GV and Lou. I can only hope there's more of a "system" in play this year, especially if there's some accountability being doled out (not just at JJ).
Pascal to the future.
Lunchpailhero1
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,105

Post#54 » by Lunchpailhero1 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:57 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
Lunchpailhero1 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
I dosagree, he's the prototypical PF in today's NBA small ball offense, shoots the trey, has good quickness, intelligent, hustles, runs the floor well and has the vesatility to play SF/PF and C on occasions.

Those are all his strengths yes, but you can't ignore that he has pretty glaring weaknesses that are required to be a consistent impact starter.

Everyone in the NBA has their imperfections and flaws even Lebron James. Pat solid starter and better than many young PFs in the NBA. You cant ask for any more than that unless of course the team manages to snag Lamarcus Aldridge.

Pat hasn't been an everyday starter yet in his career though. So that's why I'm a bit reluctant to be 100% confident in his abilities to be our starting 4. But like I said before I agree he can be solid for now until we secure a lock at that position (easier said than done lol) . Who knows, he could take a step and surprise people. I'm hoping so, because I really like him
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#55 » by HighOctane » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:32 pm

Lowry
Derozan
Johnson
PPat
Val

Wright off the bench as a 1
Joseph off the bench as a 1/2
Carroll off the bench as a 3/4
Scola off the bench as a 4
Biyombo off the bench as a 5.

Looks okay. But really, JJ will be swapped for Carroll cause he don't know hustle when he sees it. Scola might also get more PT than what he's worth at his age.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#56 » by hype_2004 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 8:14 pm

Lunchpailhero1 wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
Lunchpailhero1 wrote:

Pat hasn't been an everyday starter yet in his career though. So that's why I'm a bit reluctant to be 100% confident in his abilities to be our starting 4. But like I said before I agree he can be solid for now until we secure a lock at that position (easier said than done lol) . Who knows, he could take a step and surprise people. I'm hoping so, because I really like him

Everyone has to "start" somewhere, if you don't give someone that chance you'll never know what you will get. In today's NBa a Pf needs to do a few things, defend the pick and roll, fight through screens, set picks, block out and hit the open jumper. Gone are the days of the bruising PF who, intimidates the paint, rebounds like an animal and post up like a bully, Pat is the prototype of today's NBA metric/analytic small ball offense/defense.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#57 » by Dukenukem23 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 10:10 pm

HighOctane wrote:Lowry
Derozan
Johnson
PPat
Val

Wright off the bench as a 1
Joseph off the bench as a 1/2
Carroll off the bench as a 3/4
Scola off the bench as a 4
Biyombo off the bench as a 5.

Looks okay. But really, JJ will be swapped for Carroll cause he don't know hustle when he sees it. Scola might also get more PT than what he's worth at his age.

15 million off the bench...interesting
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#58 » by ThatClockWork » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:31 am

Thespianoid wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:
C_Money wrote:

After a perusing of NBA.com's stats, I think JV can fit just fine if they find a way to allow him to stay inside 10 feet and not have to come outside the paint every possession. He's pretty decent there, but once he's forced to leave the paint, his defensive effectiveness drops off DRAMATICALLY. and that's not an exaggeration. He goes from an average FG% differential of -.3.3% 10 feet and in, to +4.2% 15 feet and out. It's bad.

Most importantly, he needs to do a better job of contesting spot ups. Kick outs from penetration, mostly. Maybe off PnR action, but I can't be sure given the gaps in data logging. If he stays closer to his man in team defense situations, and doesn't opt to stay in the paint to protect non-existent paint attempts, he'll be just fine.

That's precisely the issue. Based on the eye test, Val becomes visibly lost in the scramble the second he hedges out past the mid-key area and you can see him turning his head and body in different directions trying to find out where he should be. When he stays at home or on that roll man, he can be a decent anchor (though still not quite occupying the paint as he needs to - also noticeably a step slow bringing help more than occasionally). As the stats have suggested, he does not close out on shooters well at all. I can see why they are telling him to improve his mobility but does that not negate much of what he accomplished in the previous offseason?

orbesnet wrote:
ThatClockWork wrote:

Wait... there's a system?!

I agree that we may see a reasonable swing on D compared to last year without GV and Lou. I can only hope there's more of a "system" in play this year, especially if there's some accountability being doled out (not just at JJ).

If that happened, many of Demar Derozan's minutes would disappear though some games - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if you are trying to manage your starters' minutes primarily or if we had enough firepower off the bench to succeed offensively without a volume scorer being on the floor most of the game.

James Johnson's defense is good - the issue is he over-helps to compensate for what some players are not doing on the floor - and for spurts that can really help you .. at least until your opponent catches on and starts exposing the glaring hole(s) left in your defense by that over-action.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Reg00
Starter
And1: 1,402

Post#59 » by Reg00 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:22 pm

I still like JJ as a starting PF. But realistically that ain't gonna happen.

Pat I'm fine with, but with Scola and Bismack the playing time is going to fluctuate game to game a lot at the start while Casey gets his rotation figured out.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#60 » by Kenyon009 » Mon Aug 3, 2015 1:44 pm

Carroll is going to be a huge disappointment. Get ready folks. I have a feeling that if you have him and JJ equal minutes next to a good shooting SG, JJ would produce much better. Trade Carroll for a better powerforward that can shoot, in a package with JV?

Biyombo
(Carroll+JV)
JJ
(Derozan+NYK/DEN)
Lowry

That could be a great starting line up if Masai can fleece a few teams.

Return to Toronto Raptors