ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Are Raptor fans loving David Price?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: OT: Are Raptor fans loving David Price? 

Post#41 » by Boogie! » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:59 am

IF and its a big IF we win the world series, i dont think it matters if he re-signs with us... we brought him in as a rental to make a playoff push and winning the world series would justify that rental... what happens after doesnt really matter at that point and i dont think fans would be upset that it happened... similar scenario to the jays trading for david cone back in 92...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#42 » by Brinbe » Tue Aug 4, 2015 6:48 am

I get the feeling it's more than simply money for Price... So if we serve up a competitive offer and he's really blown away and comfortable playing here, than I think we do have a shot of keeping him long-term. I think he's a perfect fit and Rogers needs to not let him get away.

As for the fans, Jays fans are hardcore as hell and they're just as devoted as Raptor fans. It's all the same.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#43 » by Boogie! » Tue Aug 4, 2015 6:58 am

price can get money anywhere... i doubt he re signs here... i hope we make a legit playoff push tough.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#44 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 4, 2015 10:14 am

Mylie10 wrote:How did realgm get so huge for you guys?

Good question... I started with the ESPN boards in the late 90's they appeared to be the most active
for NBA, MLB, NFL and a few NHL team boards. There was no mods there so it became infested with
trolls and by the mid 2000's unbearable Kobe fan boys.

I remember finding out or hearing that Real GM was way more active for Raptors fans than ESPN. I noticed
that Toronto and only a few other teams boards were fairly active but most team boards were a ghost town
which kind of sucked because mostly every ESPN NBA teams board was fairly active. I thought for awhile that
Real GM must be some local Toronto site.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#45 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Aug 4, 2015 11:41 am

Jays in the summer, Raptors in the winter.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#46 » by ruckus » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:13 pm

It's really interesting to see how much the personality of the Toronto sports fan has changed in the past 20-25 years. I remember it being a big thing back in the day that the Jays crowds (sold out, mind you) were too quiet. Even watching some of those old Vince games on NBATV, the crowd didn't get as turnt up as they do today.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#47 » by Rapz » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:29 pm

beanbag wrote:My guess also is that across Canada, the Jays are more popular than the Raptors. Within Toronto City though, that is probably not the case.

That's a fact!
Financials
Sixth Man
And1: 1,859

Post#48 » by Financials » Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:31 pm

lol I cant believe the homerism of some raps fans who think the raps have some gigantic following.

the jays attendance during down years and mid week day would be an average raptors home game draw...

not to mention half the raptors tickets are given for free to employees cause they purchased seasons tickets to get access to leafs tickets quicker..

the raps are great, but the blue jays following is WAYYYY bigger.... if you have xbox and use the tv trending ****, baseball is #1 regardless of who is playing in Canada, and that's not some old fashion nelson rating system.

outside of hardcore fans, the raptors fanbase is isolated to the GTA. Blue Jays are the true Canadian team, people follow them from coast to coast.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Re: Re: OT: Are Raptor fans loving David Price? 

Post#49 » by Huskies1947 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 2:14 pm

Financials wrote:lol I cant believe the homerism of some raps fans who think the raps have some gigantic following.

the jays attendance during down years and mid week day would be an average raptors home game draw...

not to mention half the raptors tickets are given for free to employees cause they purchased seasons tickets to get access to leafs tickets quicker..

the raps are great, but the blue jays following is WAYYYY bigger.... if you have xbox and use the tv trending ****, baseball is #1 regardless of who is playing in Canada, and that's not some old fashion nelson rating system.

outside of hardcore fans, the raptors fanbase is isolated to the GTA. Blue Jays are the true Canadian team, people follow them from coast to coast.

I agree that the jays are bigger but the raptors do not need to leach off the leafs anymore. They have their own fanbase now that purchases tickets. The season seat PSL is different than regular leafs season tickets. With the PSL you get access to select concerts and shows as well as sports. So if you don't want a PSL you could purchase regular leafs season tickets.. Good luck with that because most leafs season tickets are passed down by family or owned by corporations.
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#50 » by MVP- » Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
I'm surprised and glad to hear you say the stuff at the bottom.

I remember last season when we played you guys, a lot of fans were upset at the celebrating some of our guys do. Especially Draymond.....sometimes even us fans are like, settle down Dray.

But I remember Curry dunking on Lowry when both our teams were the best in basketball. Curry bumped Lowry and was celebrating hard.....I was waiting for a reaction from Lowry, but he let it be. Curry doesn't dunk often, but I th I k that the fact that you guys were number one in the East and the media was already calling the Warriors pretenders around much of the NBA, I think the players took it a bit personal.

Not personally against the Raptors, who they respect, but more to the growing number of haters a Ross the board.

TBH, your clown ass team celebrates like they won the championship after the 1st quarter. It's annoying.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#51 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:37 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:How did realgm get so huge for you guys?

Good question... I started with the ESPN boards in the late 90's they appeared to be the most active
for NBA, MLB, NFL and a few NHL team boards. There was no mods there so it became infested with
trolls and by the mid 2000's unbearable Kobe fan boys.

I remember finding out or hearing that Real GM was way more active for Raptors fans than ESPN. I noticed
that Toronto and only a few other teams boards were fairly active but most team boards were a ghost town
which kind of sucked because mostly every ESPN NBA teams board was fairly active. I thought for awhile that
Real GM must be some local Toronto site.

Thanks Scott.....I too used to hit the ESPN boards. And you're right, the Kobe fan boys were and still are unbearable.

I remember at slow times on our board, like right now, your board, the Celtics, and the Knicks boards are always pretty active. But you guys by far, are the most fervent.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#52 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 4:40 pm

MVP- wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
I'm surprised and glad to hear you say the stuff at the bottom.

I remember last season when we played you guys, a lot of fans were upset at the celebrating some of our guys do. Especially Draymond.....sometimes even us fans are like, settle down Dray.

But I remember Curry dunking on Lowry when both our teams were the best in basketball. Curry bumped Lowry and was celebrating hard.....I was waiting for a reaction from Lowry, but he let it be. Curry doesn't dunk often, but I th I k that the fact that you guys were number one in the East and the media was already calling the Warriors pretenders around much of the NBA, I think the players took it a bit personal.

Not personally against the Raptors, who they respect, but more to the growing number of haters a Ross the board.

TBH, your clown ass team celebrates like they won the championship after the 1st quarter. It's annoying.

Lol....I hate clowns...they're scary...Kind of why I'll never watch Steven Kings "It" again.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#53 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:54 pm

Mylie10 wrote:That's what I'm talking about!

Price was blown away and giddy on Espn......dudes been through it with Detroit, but he said the game the other day was like nothing he's experienced.

For those on the fence about baseball, pay attention to the run. The stretch drive and playoffs are high drama usually. It's different than basketball which is so face paced. But meaningful baseball is slow grind, pitch by pitch drama. Nothing like it really.

Amazing since he's been to game 7 of a World Series, though it was when he was a rookie out of the bp.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#54 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:59 pm

Brinbe wrote:I get the feeling it's more than simply money for Price... So if we serve up a competitive offer and he's really blown away and comfortable playing here, than I think we do have a shot of keeping him long-term. I think he's a perfect fit and Rogers needs to not let him get away.

As for the fans, Jays fans are hardcore as hell and they're just as devoted as Raptor fans. It's all the same.

Imagine if he also stays undefeated at Skydome? 8-)
CANsportsguru
Pro Prospect
And1: 522

Post#55 » by CANsportsguru » Tue Aug 4, 2015 6:13 pm

The Jays went all in and really had too as the lineup gets older and older and not having made the post season in 22 seasons playing in the hardest division in MLB AA saw a chance and took it. I would put Prices chance on re-signing here at 20-30% and it could go up or down based on the rest of the season & (post season run) had we not traded for him it would be 0 chance at signing him. Even if he leaves for the Cubs whitch are likely the front runners and given he'll likely command 200+ mil 5/7 year contract we may not have the money to offer him. So this was our shot we have the best offense in baseball, our feilding is top-notch and we added a top 3 pitching ace to our club. We still have a lot of games with the Yankees (more than enough to catch them) and our pitching actually has been really good since the All-Star game. It's a good time to be a Jays fan .... enjoy it.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#56 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 4, 2015 6:20 pm

CANsportsguru wrote:The Jays went all in and really had too as the lineup gets older and older and not having made the post season in 22 seasons playing in the hardest division in MLB AA saw a chance and took it. I would put Prices chance on re-signing here at 20-30% and it could go up or down based on the rest of the season & (post season run) had we not traded for him it would be 0 chance at signing him. Even if he leaves for the Cubs whitch are likely the front runners and given he'll likely command 200+ mil 5/7 year contract we may not have the money to offer him. So this was our shot we have the best offense in baseball, our feilding is top-notch and we added a top 3 pitching ace to our club. We still have a lot of games with the Yankees (more than enough to catch them) and our pitching actually has been really good since the All-Star game. It's a good time to be a Jays fan .... enjoy it.

If I were to pick anyone to give a big long contract too it would be Price.

1) Cy Young Calibre every year
2) Work Horse
3) Durable like Buehrle
4) Lefty
5) Doesn't rely on a 97-100 mph fastball.
6) Would prefer to get people out in 3 pitches rather than get k's.
7) Like the city of Toronto.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#57 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:35 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/630585537322184705[/tweet]

Dick Vitale has Jays fever lol
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#58 » by jimmy keys » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Was cool to hear David Price talk about how excited and blown away he was by the Toronto fans. After getting to know Raptors fans a bit and how you guys are probably the most fanatical fans on Realgm, I wasn't aware that there might be a similar fanatical response to the Blue Jays.

Is it you guys (Raptor fans) who are so hard core? Or is it the Jays fans as well?

By the way, as a Giants fan, I was bummed we didn't get Price.....kind of jealous.

Look forward to the Warriors Raptor battles.

It's a Toronto thing man, TORONTOOOOOOO!!!!!!! One of the best sports towns in the world. We love our teams.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#59 » by 0 - 100 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Rogers has to stop being so cheap and offer David market rate or more if Toronto is one of his options in FA.

The guy is a true ace, every team needs one to win.
DJ_RnC
Analyst
And1: 5,231

Post#60 » by DJ_RnC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:35 pm

I have never followed the Jays nor do I really enjoy baseball, the occasional Jays game with friends is alright but that's more of a social outing than going there as a fan.

With that being said, even the most casual people such as myself are impressed with what the Jays have been doing since Price got here. When was the last time a Toronto team won 8 games in a row? Raptors have a franchise record of only 7 wins in a row (on multiple occasions) and it's been a while since the Leafs were any good.

They're 1.5 games behind the division lead. Before these trades, making the playoffs was far fetched, now the division lead is in sight. That's pretty cool, Toronto has a winning team again (finally). Hopefully they keep this up and make some noise in the postseason.

Return to Toronto Raptors