ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Vince a "generational talent"?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Stolen Identity
Veteran
And1: 4,010

Re: Was Vince a "generational talent"? 

Post#141 » by Stolen Identity » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:18 pm

vado wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
vado wrote:Maybe a generational athlete but not basketball talent.

lolwut? He was one of the most gifted scorers in the NBA.

He played in the same generation as Iverson, TMac, Kobe, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, etc. Hell even Jerry Stackhouse was making noise. The only thing that will stand out and make him memorable for generations is his athleticism and dunking ability. I am sorry I am not a homer.

So he'll get the Dominique Wilkins treatment ?

Vince was also a good 3 point shooter, had good playmaking as well. He used to play PG at times in Toronto. The only thing that's in question is his desire and lack of defense. My advice to future generations is to watch footage before making a comment on a certain player.
Stuck in Dystopia.
teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#142 » by teamLeiweke » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Hero wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:Did I say Carter was as good as LeBron???

Wow. People can't understand a simple example around here.

If you're saying Vince is a generational talent then you're saying he had as much or more basketball talent than the likes of LeBron, Shaq and MJ. This is quite frankly, ludicrous.

Yeah. Let's name 3 of the most generational, talented and successful players of all time and say that if any other player didnt have as much or more talent than them, then they cant generational either.

I guess Larry Bird wasn't generational either then, since he didn't have as much talent as those 3 guys you listed.

With all due respect, what a dumb and ignorant statement you just made.
Stolen Identity
Veteran
And1: 4,010

Post#143 » by Stolen Identity » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Hero wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:Did I say Carter was as good as LeBron???

Wow. People can't understand a simple example around here.

If you're saying Vince is a generational talent then you're saying he had as much or more basketball talent than the likes of LeBron, Shaq and MJ. This is quite frankly, ludicrous.

Skillset wise, Vince is definitely a generational talent. For me, a generational talent would be someone who could adapt and still be good in any era.

Those other 3 players you mentioned are transcendent talents. They wouldn't just be good in any era, but great.
Stuck in Dystopia.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,163

Post#144 » by tsherkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Carter was absolutely a generational physical talent. Few are the examples of comparable arrays of physical ability at his size. Pretty natural at the game in general as well, if people remember how he smoothly became a wicked shooter. Post game, solid handles, mildly underrated playmaker. Much better ground game than often credited, especially as a Net.

When he cared, he was as deadly as it gets. Vince's problem was always upstairs. Soft versus criticism, could never maintain momentum in motivation and it was painfully clear he was a beta who wanted no part of the lead player role.

He had all the physical and skill tools, just didn't have A-grade focus/drive.

I'd still call him a generational talent though, based on what he achieved without that dedication. Just not a generational player.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#145 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:25 am

vado wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
vado wrote:Maybe a generational athlete but not basketball talent.

He played in the same generation as Iverson, TMac, Kobe, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, etc. Hell even Jerry Stackhouse was making noise. The only thing that will stand out and make him memorable for generations is his athleticism and dunking ability. I am sorry I am not a homer.

You don't have to be a homer to admit that VC was an elite talent.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by tsherkin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 am

Legal Non-Conforming wrote:The best comparison is Dominique Wilkins, but there are lots and lots of guys who had skills and ability but fell short. I just don't see where the term "generational" enters the discussion.

I think I see the problem.

You're trying to equate results and talent, and that's not what the thrust of this discussion is about. It's about the tools, not what he did with them. He wasn't a generational player; he wasn't one of those guys who comes along every 10-20 years and really rocks the league in new and interesting ways. He could have been, he had the tools, but that's precisely the point: he was that kind of talent, but only ever put together short flashes.

vado wrote:He played in the same generation as Iverson, TMac, Kobe, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, etc. Hell even Jerry Stackhouse was making noise.

No he wasn't. Took a lot of shots and low efficiency and turned in a high-volume scoring season. That's not the same thing. Carter on weaker knees in his 30s with the Nets was better than Stackhouse was at his absolute apex.

The only thing that will stand out and make him memorable for generations is his athleticism and dunking ability. I am sorry I am not a homer.

No, but like many in this thread, you seem to be having trouble with the separation between talent and realized legacy. This thread isn't about labeling him one of the greatest of all-time, it's about recognizing the physical tools and skills he had. That sort of package has barely been seen before in league history. In some ways, never before. That kind of strength, explosion, leaping and shooting? That's a generational talent. Like McGrady, for one reason or another, he didn't really put it all together the way everyone was hoping, but the talent was very much there.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Post#147 » by Hero » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
vado wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Elite talent is not the same as generational talent.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,277

Post#148 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:52 am

Hero wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
vado wrote:

Elite talent is not the same as generational talent.

He was in a tier below Lebron, KD, Jordan, Shaq, etc. If that's the standard for "generational talent", then no, he wasn't one, but neither were any of his peers outside of Shaq.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#149 » by Jakay » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:52 am

Athletically the guy was a millennial talent.

In terms of sheer dominant winning power? A star, nothing less nothing more. Always could take over a game when he wanted to, and did on many occasions, just seemed content to contribute mostly though. Could literally breeze his way to All Star numbers.
chyau.00
Starter
And1: 713

Post#150 » by chyau.00 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56 am

VC was definitely a generational talent. Unfortunately for him, he came in at the golden age of swingmen with tmac, kobe, iverson, pp, ray allen, etc.

His effort was debatable, but his natural talent was not.
at his peak, he was a top 3 player and top 1 in terms of popularity. For however short amount of time it was, he is still the most popular player to ever play the game since Jordan.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#151 » by vado » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:36 am

tsherkin wrote:
Legal Non-Conforming wrote:The best comparison is Dominique Wilkins, but there are lots and lots of guys who had skills and ability but fell short. I just don't see where the term "generational" enters the discussion.

I think I see the problem.

You're trying to equate results and talent, and that's not what the thrust of this discussion is about. It's about the tools, not what he did with them. He wasn't a generational player; he wasn't one of those guys who comes along every 10-20 years and really rocks the league in new and interesting ways. He could have been, he had the tools, but that's precisely the point: he was that kind of talent, but only ever put together short flashes.

vado wrote:He played in the same generation as Iverson, TMac, Kobe, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, etc. Hell even Jerry Stackhouse was making noise.

No he wasn't. Took a lot of shots and low efficiency and turned in a high-volume scoring season. That's not the same thing. Carter on weaker knees in his 30s with the Nets was better than Stackhouse was at his absolute apex.

The only thing that will stand out and make him memorable for generations is his athleticism and dunking ability. I am sorry I am not a homer.

No, but like many in this thread, you seem to be having trouble with the separation between talent and realized legacy. This thread isn't about labeling him one of the greatest of all-time, it's about recognizing the physical tools and skills he had. That sort of package has barely been seen before in league history. In some ways, never before. That kind of strength, explosion, leaping and shooting? That's a generational talent. Like McGrady, for one reason or another, he didn't really put it all together the way everyone was hoping, but the talent was very much there.

No I am understanding fine. I think the term generational is being used here loosely. Whenever you throw around the term generational it often brings lofty expectations. I think there were too many other talented guards when he was playing for him to be considered an overall generational talent. The only aspect of Vince Carter's talent that I consider generational is his athleticism.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#152 » by Patman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:28 pm

tsherkin wrote:Carter was absolutely a generational physical talent. Few are the examples of comparable arrays of physical ability at his size. Pretty natural at the game in general as well, if people remember how he smoothly became a wicked shooter. Post game, solid handles, mildly underrated playmaker. Much better ground game than often credited, especially as a Net.

When he cared, he was as deadly as it gets. Vince's problem was always upstairs. Soft versus criticism, could never maintain momentum in motivation and it was painfully clear he was a beta who wanted no part of the lead player role.

He had all the physical and skill tools, just didn't have A-grade focus/drive.

I'd still call him a generational talent though, based on what he achieved without that dedication. Just not a generational player.

This. If Vince took his career more seriously, you're talking about a guy who would be above the Drexler/Dr. J tier of great players.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#153 » by brownbobcat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:32 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:^ again no one is saying he is even close to the greatest players of all time.

We're talking about his talent.

This is like the kid who says "I'm really smart. I just don't do well on tests."

Put another way, the ability to put your athetic gifts to their best use is an aspect of talent.

You're using one definition of talent that turns the discussion into a circular argument. Vince is not generational because he's not generational.

That's frankly nonsensical because practically no one is saying that VC IS/WAS one of the greatest NBA players of all time, only that he could have been. From a pure skillset perspective, I would say VC's main weaknesses were average handles, lateral quickness and "craftiness". IMO, he would've been a step above Paul Pierce if he had a work ethic like DeRozan - something like top-20 all time. It's somewhat unfair to judge him against the passion/mentality of a Jordan or Kobe, those guys were maniacally driven.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#154 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37 pm

So, then, is DeMarcus Cousins a "generational talent"?
“The North Remembers"
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#155 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:57 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:^ again no one is saying he is even close to the greatest players of all time.

We're talking about his talent.

This is like the kid who says "I'm really smart. I just don't do well on tests."

Put another way, the ability to put your athetic gifts to their best use is an aspect of talent.

You're using one definition of talent that turns the discussion into a circular argument. Vince is not generational because he's not generational.

That's frankly nonsensical because practically no one is saying that VC IS/WAS one of the greatest NBA players of all time, only that he could have been. From a pure skillset perspective, I would say VC's main weaknesses were average handles, lateral quickness and "craftiness". IMO, he would've been a step above Paul Pierce if he had a work ethic like DeRozan - something like top-20 all time. It's somewhat unfair to judge him against the passion/mentality of a Jordan or Kobe, those guys were maniacally driven.

I'm not comparing him to Jordan or Kobe or even LeBron.

How does he stack up against Jason Kidd or Dirk Nowitzki or Tim Duncan or Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen or Allen Iverson?

Those guys are generational players.

Vince does not belong in that conversation.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#156 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:09 pm

All the people downplaying VC's talent in this thread sound ridiculous.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#157 » by brownbobcat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:33 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:I'm not comparing him to Jordan or Kobe or even LeBron.

How does he stack up against Jason Kidd or Dirk Nowitzki or Tim Duncan or Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen or Allen Iverson?

Those guys are generational players.

Vince does not belong in that conversation.

In terms of production throughout his career, he's a notch below Pierce and Allen but the gap would be much closer if the big 3 never came together.

In terms of physical skills and peak performance, he's mostly on par with those guys excluding KG and Duncan.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#158 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:41 pm

lolwut wrote:I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but VC was a tier below the true generational talents. TMac was a generational talent and was better than VC.

I'm inclined to agree. TMAC had that natural gift and feel for the game. But Vince will go down as the greatest dunker of all time.
Credits to Jstock12
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by tsherkin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:36 pm

vado wrote:No I am understanding fine. I think the term generational is being used here loosely.

Then that's still your issue, because it's clearly not being used the way you want it to be, and you're trying to shift the goalpost from what the OP intended to your clearly-different preference for the term. All of the "yes" discussion has been based on what the OP meant; the "no" discussion has been essentially a sequence of straw man arguments about him not being good enough on-court to merit the "generational" tag, which isn't actually salient to the intended discussion.

Whenever you throw around the term generational it often brings lofty expectations.

Which only makes it appropriate, because he was Heir Canada, one of the Next MJs, and HUGE things were expected of him, most especially because of how electric and exciting he was to fans all across the continent earlier on in his career. That very much applies to him. Everyone, even outside of Canada, expected the world of him because of his talent.

I think there were too many other talented guards when he was playing for him to be considered an overall generational talent.

This is, again, you circling back to the level of play coming out of those guys. McGrady is the only other guy who had similar levels of physical talent/skill that had you really drooling at his potential. Even Kobe didn't really scream "ATG in the making" based on his tools; he looked a lot like a ton of other guys who'd been drafted in the hopes of finding the next MJ. He was quick, he could shoot and he had good (but not staggering) hops. The difference with him was his endless dedication to coming up with new tricks and working on his skills. It's the same thing that had Paul Pierce be so effective despite elite-tier physical talent (though he certainly didn't lack for physical tools, especially pre Melo/Lebron as far as power 3s).

The only aspect of Vince Carter's talent that I consider generational is his athleticism.

Do you not recall how he developed basically overnight as a shooter? When he put any kind of effort into things, he picked them up. It wasn't just his hops or his first step. It was his mid-air body control and poise, his creativity, his jumper. He had solid elbow post game, he could make plays pretty well, he could slash... he didn't really have a skill weakness. It was functionally clear that his mentality was what held him back, because whenever he had motivation, he murdered faces. Like in Sydney, or after getting traded from Toronto, for example. He just couldn't sustain it, didn't have that alpha personality and desire to dominate.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#160 » by Left Side Drive » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.

Return to Toronto Raptors