ImageImageImageImageImage

Anthony Bennett

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheExpat
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Anthony Bennett 

Post#1 » by TheExpat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Sorry and please merge if there is a thread on this already...

Tell me how this is not a perfect situation for Anthony Bennett to come into?
- Man is something that must be surpassed. Nietzsche
Rustyy
Ballboy
And1: 15

Re: Anthony Bennet 

Post#2 » by Rustyy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:09 pm

How is it? He's been useless so far in his career and if he wasn't Canadian, no one on this board would even bring him up.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#3 » by Mack11 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:12 pm

you make a sound argument
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#4 » by Double Bubble » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:17 pm

There's a team Canada thread for such though provoking material.

I would add that if AB isn't beasting in international competition he'll likely never make a starting lineup in the NBA.
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#5 » by wolfv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Toronto might be too much pressure for him. I think he'd be best off in Portland, working with Triano.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,439

Post#6 » by KL78192020 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Because it was no better for Andrea Bargnani coming to a multicultural city with a large Italian population. Two dudes who got picked way to high. Bargs still had a better career.
raptoradical
Sixth Man
And1: 1,224

Post#7 » by raptoradical » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:46 pm

TheExpat wrote:Tell me how this is not a perfect situation for Anthony Bennett to come into?
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/23/kings-still-trying-to-shop-anthony-bennett-still-finding-no-takers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
This should not be a surprise. The former No. 1 pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers has not developed like a top pick is expected to — last season he got in 57 games for the Timberwolves, scored 5.2 points a game when he did, he had a well below average 45.8 percent true shooting percentage and a PER of 11.4. If he were the 14th pick in the draft, we’d be thinking maybe he can evolve into a solid bench player in a couple of years in the right development system.

The problem is he is getting paid like a No 1 pick — $5.8 million this season, with a team option for $7.3 million for 2016-17 that must be exercised by the end of this October. No team would pick up that option. So essentially a team has to want to trade for him as a rental at the price of the mid-level exception, even though he at best can give them limited minutes off the bench.

Which is to say, good luck moving him Flip Saunders without throwing in some sweeteners (future picks). Maybe you’ll have better luck near the trade deadline. Maybe. But probably not.

Inevitable wrote:Magic Johnson meets Kawhi meets Giannis.
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#8 » by GED Education » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:07 pm

You appreciate a guy like Bargnani more, even though he was inconsistent and had zero bball IQ, when you see a stiff like Bennett. It's a double whammy he's Canadian and sucking....

Perfect situation is he's not playing bball in the NBA.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#9 » by omar36 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:17 pm

id honestly take him. could in the future become a starting pf.

trade ross for him/future 2nd. minny gets another high flier but more important, he is still a good 3 pt shooter.
Shammgod_
Pro Prospect
And1: 768

Post#10 » by Shammgod_ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:25 pm

GED Education wrote:You appreciate a guy like Bargnani more, even though he was inconsistent and had zero bball IQ, when you see a stiff like Bennett. It's a double whammy he's Canadian and sucking....

Perfect situation is he's not playing bball in the NBA.

Wouldn't really call Bennett a stiff, he's shown explosiveness and mobility in his game with his ability to stretch the floor. He just needs to keep the excess weight off.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#11 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:26 pm

If Minny doesn't pick up his 4th year option, he can play for the 905ers in front of his hometown, as he develops. He sure as hell wasn't given the ability to develop in either Minny or Cleveland.
Credits to Jstock12
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#12 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:27 pm

omar36 wrote:id honestly take him. could in the future become a starting pf.

trade ross for him/future 2nd. minny gets another high flier but more important, he is still a good 3 pt shooter.

I think a future 2nd would be enough at this point. We might as well keep Ross for a future deal, or hope he signs on and commits to being our future 6th man.
Credits to Jstock12
Cael
Junior
And1: 458

Post#13 » by Cael » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:33 pm

We need to think bigger picture for real.
That's a better situation for Bennett than the raptors. He doesn't bring anything someone already isn't providing. Im not interested in any pfs not clear cut better than ppat.
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#14 » by agentzero2010 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 pm

He has 5.8 million guaranteed this season which fits perfectly into the 6.6 million vasquez trade exception. Perhaps a few second round picks and the vasquez trade exception for Bennett? He could develop into a serviceable stretch 4 and with Towns, Pekovic, Garnett and Dieng, I dont see how bennett could get the necessary playing time to develop his game. However, he has 7.7 million and 9.5 million qualifying for the next 2 season which could potentially strangle our cap flexibilities, especially if he continues to struggle and doesn't have any market value. Also, I think the plan down the road is to slide Bruno into starting 4 position as a stretch 4 ala Reshard Lewis so it doesn't make much sense to invest so much money to acquire Bennett. Ultimately, I would pass on bennett.

Keep an eye on the 6.6 million Vasquez trade exception. Since we have 4 first round picks in the next 2 drafts; I could very well see Masai packaging one of those picks along with the 6.6 million trade exception to acquire immediate talent during the season. For those who are skeptical on the offensive production coming off the bench; perhaps we could solve that by traded the 2017 LAC first round pick (25th or lower) and the trade exception for Jamal Crawford? His production was nearly identical to Lou last season but he's taller and longer and he has a lot of playoff experience. I dont see a need for him on the clippers with Pierce, Stephenson, Rivers, Reddick and Wesley Johnson playing at the wing positions.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#15 » by Ganjamayne » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:44 pm

He's slowly putting it all together after watching him at the Pan Ams.

I feel like people are already counting him out, he's lost weight, regained his confidence. I feel like he'll keep improving each year.

I'd totally take a stab at him Ross for Bennett.
TheExpat
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#16 » by TheExpat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Rustyy wrote:How is it? He's been useless so far in his career and if he wasn't Canadian, no one on this board would even bring him up.

So far in his career? He's 22.

If he wasn't Canadian we might talk about him less, but he's still just two drafts removed from being the No. 1 overall pick. Plus he's local, so it seems natural we would talk about him. Anyways...

Bennett could def play some PF minutes and be given a chance to develop. I'd rather pay to watch him grow than to watch Scola decline.

And the upside is still there. He could be a beast.

At worst we let his contract run out.

At best he gets his head around the game, keeps with his conditioning, and turns into a monster.

I'm guessing Raps brass has made a call to Minnesota.
- Man is something that must be surpassed. Nietzsche

Return to Toronto Raptors