ImageImageImageImageImage

Chinese Documentary on Toronto Basketball, but mainly Carter (6:54)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Re: Chinese Documentary on Toronto Basketball, but mainly Carter (6:54) 

Post#21 » by RIP Kobe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:33 pm

Imenutz wrote:
North_of_Border wrote:If Vince Cater never played for Toronto, there us no way anyone outside the GTA would be talking about the Raptors.

Vince Carter deserves to have his number retired and recognized for all the positives as opposed to how he left.

He chose to leave that way. He did a lot for Toronto but no way we are retiring his jersey.

he chose to leave what way? the way the media wants everyone to believe?
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#22 » by North_of_Border » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 am

Vince Carter did leave on a bad note. He even didnt give it 100% on the court in his last seasons. Some might even say, he faked injuries to stay off court. He became a cancer.... Then in NJ all the sudden, he was never injured all the time. He was actually putting effort on court.
....... I have to admit all that. I was very much a VC hater at that point.

However, the past is the past. People need to stop crying over the negatives after all these years... Think of the hights VC too the Raptors to. Kevin Durant grew up a Raptors fan of all people. The Lakers Staples center was chanting Raptors! Raptors! On the road. Carter was the most recognisable face of the NBA on the planet for a while.

Raise the man's number up as soon as he retires. Stop being bitter. Look at it with an open mind... Finally get off the anti-depresants the natural way
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#23 » by Shimso » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:40 am

"Although the name was cool enough, their ability is worth thinking" pretty much sums up my thoughts about this team.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#24 » by Rapz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 am

VC was the best thing that ever happened to Raptors, by far.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#25 » by Patman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:37 pm

North_of_Border wrote:Vince Carter did leave on a bad note. He even didnt give it 100% on the court in his last seasons. Some might even say, he faked injuries to stay off court. He became a cancer.... Then in NJ all the sudden, he was never injured all the time. He was actually putting effort on court.
....... I have to admit all that. I was very much a VC hater at that point.

Seriously? The NBA is a billion-dollar industry. This is not elementary school. The teams have doctors that tell the players if they're injured, not the other way around.

The reason why he didn't get injured in Jersey was b/c he gave a damn. I've been around sports long enough to know that at any level, from kids all the way to the pros, you are far more likely to get injured when you are horsing around, going through the motions, not getting rest, not focused, etc.
Imenutz
Junior
And1: 192

Post#26 » by Imenutz » Tue Sep 1, 2015 6:13 am

pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:
North_of_Border wrote:If Vince Cater never played for Toronto, there us no way anyone outside the GTA would be talking about the Raptors.

Vince Carter deserves to have his number retired and recognized for all the positives as opposed to how he left.

He chose to leave that way. He did a lot for Toronto but no way we are retiring his jersey.

Paul Pierce chose to leave Boston along with KG to take another crack at championship in BK (which failed badly).
I'm guessing no way Boston retires his jersey?

You're comparing apples and bananas. You're comparing Pierces 15 + years to Carters 6. Pierce will have his jersey retired for his loyalty, Carter will not.
Imenutz
Junior

Post#27 » by Imenutz » Tue Sep 1, 2015 6:19 am

Tacoma wrote:
Imenutz wrote:He chose to leave that way. He did a lot for Toronto but no way we are retiring his jersey.

The "we" part is Toronto and even to this day >10 years later, no Raptors (or Leafs or Jays for that matter) player has come remotely close to Vince in terms of charity work to help the City of Toronto. The Team leader today is Lowry and he hightailed himself out of Toronto as fast as he could once the season ended. Same for DeRozan.

The "them" part is MLSE and Raptors Management whom Vince feuded with. MLSE treated Vince like Royalty in the early years but then Vince got injured in 02-03 season and subsequently MLSE changed course and started to treat him like an "ordinary" player and reneged on their promise to Vince to advise him about new GM hiring (which later Peddie admitted he was wrong). Babcock was hired and proceeded to plan the future "with our without Vince" my way or the highway. Vince's reaction was "then trade me."

Long story short, Vince was immature and not helped when he was spoiled by MLSE. What happens when you spoil an immature person and then suddenly pull back? They do not react kindly and that's what Vince did. So when you say "he chose to leave that way," I think it was more like Vince was put in a situation by MLSE to lean his decision in a certain way. MLSE did not know how to properly manage superstars and they (and "we") paid for it.

Well he certainly showed management. Crippling this franchise with years of irrelevancy. We should most definitely retire his jersey. :crazy:

Don't get me wrong, if he did good for charity- nice mad respect to him. Regardless, he is a man. Men make decisions and he will have to live with his. Toronto shouldn't and will never retire his jersey.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#28 » by pkiskool » Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:22 pm

Imenutz wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:

Paul Pierce chose to leave Boston along with KG to take another crack at championship in BK (which failed badly).

You're comparing apples and bananas. You're comparing Pierces 15 + years to Carters 6. Pierce will have his jersey retired for his loyalty, Carter will not.

Maybe I am comparing apples and bananas.
What player comes to mind first when you think of the Celtics? Bird.
What player comes to mind first when you think of the Raptors? Vince.
firekil
Rookie
And1: 1,209

Post#29 » by firekil » Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:37 pm

Idiots sucking Carter's balls tells me a lot about this fanbase. He is in no way blameless for how he left here and as far as I've seen he has never apologized.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by pkiskool » Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:43 pm

firekil wrote:Idiots sucking Carter's balls tells me a lot about this fanbase. He is in no way blameless for how he left here and as far as I've seen he has never apologized.

You have not followed NBA since 2003 then.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#31 » by Rapz » Tue Sep 1, 2015 1:28 pm

firekil wrote:Idiots sucking Carter's balls tells me a lot about this fanbase. He is in no way blameless for how he left here and as far as I've seen he has never apologized.

VC is only bright spot on this pathetic franchise history, you might be young but some of us have been watching Raps since 1995.
Imenutz
Junior

Post#32 » by Imenutz » Sat Sep 5, 2015 4:07 am

pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:
pkiskool wrote:Paul Pierce chose to leave Boston along with KG to take another crack at championship in BK (which failed badly).

I've heard it all when a Raptor fan is comparing Vince to Bird. This is why we get such a bad rep around the league.

Let's compare somebody whose been a Celtic is whole career and won multiple championships to a player who quit on his team after 6 and never won a championship in his career. You may be the only poster who needs me to explain this to them but if there is somebody else who agrees that Bird and Carter are comparable then I am leaving this board.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#33 » by ballislife » Sat Sep 5, 2015 4:57 am

Have you ever thought about blaming the mamagement and ownership for the way he left? Honestly, I don't blame him because of the garbage MLSE did during the end of his time here. Of course, he was immature and he didn't give his all at the end - but that has a lot to do with our ownership.

Back then, we fired Grunwald as GM and we ended up signing ROB BABCOCK as our GM!... seriously... he was the absolute worst thing to happen to this franchise in our history. Did Carter want him? No... he wanted us to get Dr. J as our next GM because of his reputation and ability to get players to come to Toronto. What did Babcock do? he drafted "Hoffa" Aroujo instead of Iguodala with his first move... lol.

Man... I just dont understand the hate VC gets from this fanbase... Carter is probably one of the biggest reasons we havent been ousted like the Vancouver Grizzlies. VC was the Raptors, and he was known globally. Highest vote getter in the ASG for many years, jumping over a 7 footer in the Olympics... he made us who we are. He's the reason why Canada Basketball has a promising future.

It's not about "sucking his balls," it's about respecting what he's done for us... he's done more charity for the city than anyone that's been with us, and he's genuinely loved the people of Toronto since day one. He should rightfully have his # retired here for everything he's done for us. He is Air Canada Carter for a reason.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by pkiskool » Tue Sep 8, 2015 4:16 pm

Imenutz wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:

I've heard it all when a Raptor fan is comparing Vince to Bird. This is why we get such a bad rep around the league.

Let's compare somebody whose been a Celtic is whole career and won multiple championships to a player who quit on his team after 6 and never won a championship in his career. You may be the only poster who needs me to explain this to them but if there is somebody else who agrees that Bird and Carter are comparable then I am leaving this board.

I'm just stating the two players who are the "face of the franchise" in terms of legacy, not comparing their abilities/stats directly.
Obviously this wooshed over you pretty badly.
Imenutz
Junior

Post#35 » by Imenutz » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:06 pm

pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:
pkiskool wrote:Maybe I am comparing apples and bananas.

I'm just stating the two players who are the "face of the franchise" in terms of legacy, not comparing their abilities/stats directly.

Vince is not the first name that comes to my mind when I think of the Raptors. Bird and Vince do not go in the same sentence, unless of course there is a man with the name/nickname of Vince who has gone bird hunting or bird watching, etc. you get my point.
pkiskool
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by pkiskool » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Imenutz wrote:
pkiskool wrote:
Imenutz wrote:

Vince is not the first name that comes to my mind when I think of the Raptors. Bird and Vince do not go in the same sentence, unless of course there is a man with the name/nickname of Vince who has gone bird hunting or bird watching, etc. you get my point.

No I don't get your point, you didn't prove anything to why Vince isn't the first name that comes to mind when thinking of the Raptors.
I can put down handful of points why he is the face of the Raptors but I won't bother because you won't get it anyways.

Return to Toronto Raptors