ImageImageImageImageImage

Evaluating player contracts under the new cap environment

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Re: Evaluating player contracts under the new cap environment 

Post#21 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Fri Oct 9, 2015 6:22 am

Danchan wrote:
-TheDocOfDenial wrote:
Danchan wrote:nba lockout 2017

If the players do force a lock out it would be the worst financial move of all time.

well it doesn't really have to do with how much they get paid. I guess i shouldnt have brought it up :P

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/12/nba-nbpa-smoothing-salary-cap-labor-crisis-lockout-2017

Exploding cap. Record contracts. Lets just keep the train moving. The BRI split is already 49-51 owners. I feel like if there is a lock out, it will be a very lengthy one. The NBAPA seems to be pushing for no max contracts, no cap space, higher BRI split and a shortened season. Come on now.

"I can't understand why the [players' association] would be interested in suppressing salaries at the top if we know that as salaries at the top have grown, so have salaries at the bottom," she said. "If that's the case, I contend that there is no reason in the world why the union should embrace salary caps or any effort to place a barrier on the amount of money that marquee players can make."

Straight from Mmichele Roberts last year.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#22 » by Danchan » Fri Oct 9, 2015 9:06 am

Probably because the majority of the players are not marquee players.
dhackett1565
Sixth Man
And1: 1,678
Location: Pessimist central, wondering how I got here, unable to find my way out.

Post#23 » by dhackett1565 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:56 pm

Simple arithmetic should tell Roberts why top salaries growing has a negative effect on all other salaries. The pie is only so large each season. Just because the pie is getting bigger is no reason to start giving more and more of it to fewer and fewer players.

I saw someone mention above that DD's max is 125/5? DeRozan's max if he signs with the Raptors is 145/5, an average of 29M per year. His max with another team is 107/4 (27M per year).
Alfred re: Coach Mitchell - "My doctor botched my surgury and sewed my hand to my head, but I can't really comment on that, because I'm not a doctor, and thus he is above my criticism."

Return to Toronto Raptors