ImageImageImageImageImage

How do we improve the PF position?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,782

Re: How do we improve the PF position? 

Post#81 » by Zeno » Fri Nov 6, 2015 2:48 pm

Noel might be available for the Knicks pick because that's the kind of thing Philly seems to do. Maybe trade Knicks' pick plus Patterson for Noel and Stauskas. You'd lose the shooting at the 4 but replace it with another shooter on the wing.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#82 » by Raptorfan2012 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 3:04 pm

WorldChamp wrote:Just play Bennett, he'll make a few mistakes but it's not like Scola and Patterson don't already. I am much more comfortable watching Bennett play through mistakes because he's got a very good chance of becoming our permanent starter whereas Scola and Patterson do not. Even in that game where Scola went off offensively his d was god awful and he got lit up by every guy he guarded: oldman Dirk, Powell who is practically a rook and even Charlie Villenuava. Scola needs to score 20-25 pts a night just to break even in terms of providing a net benefit to this team because his D is going to consistently let the guy he's guarding drop about the same or more. Either way I can't believe how few minutes AB and even JJ are getting (more concerned with AB's PT though because there is clearly more to the JJ story than on the surface). I notice that AB is constantly sitting right beside the coaches on the bench during games which is probably a good sign but I wish they'd play him sooner than later.

Agreed on Bennett. Masai seems to be high on this kid from the pre-season interviews I have heard. Scola/Patterson will eventually need a break (its a long season) and Bennett will be give a chance to play.

That said, Terrence Jones may be an option come trade deadline if Houston does not believe they can resign him. Raptors don't have much cap room left for next summer, so trades/drafts will be how we fill out PF spot for the future.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#83 » by TONYROMOHOF » Fri Nov 6, 2015 3:16 pm

TheRaptor! wrote:
Hendrix wrote:I'm not sure we need a guy that's main strength is providing some volume mediocre efficiency scoring like Z-Bo. We don't really need someone to put up 18ppg on meh efficiency, and if you aren't asking Z-Bo to score, then what is the point of having him? You wouldn't go get him for his defense, right?

He is good enough defensively, never been a liability on the Grizz. I like him for his toughness and interior passing.

Just a suggestion if we can get him for cheap.

He worries me because he was terrible everywhere aside from memphis

He used to shoot threes like josh smith
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#84 » by hyper316 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:19 pm

Scola is doing a fine job.

Would have liked to draft portis and develop him. Instead we have bennett, so let him get some minutes. Patman is kinda disappointing, he pump fakes too much at the 3pt line wanting to drive and end up kicking it back out. Maybe he needs to work on better catch and release time
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#85 » by Ell Curry » Fri Nov 6, 2015 5:42 pm

hyper316 wrote:Scola is doing a fine job.

Would have liked to draft portis and develop him. Instead we have bennett, so let him get some minutes. Patman is kinda disappointing, he pump fakes too much at the 3pt line wanting to drive and end up kicking it back out. Maybe he needs to work on better catch and release time

We had bad luck with the Wright pick, it seems. Tough to believe we would have taken a 23 year old combo guard if we'd known Joseph was going to be a free agent. Portis and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson both went right after and are about 3 years younger and if either develops a 3pt shot, should be pretty good, since they play hard, are tough and athletic and good rebounders at their positions.

If Wright doesn't play, his value will drop. I guess there will be injuries at some point and he'll get some time, but still. If we knew Amir was leaving and we were sitting there with only JV and Patterson as bigs on the roster, it does seem odd we passed on Portis. I think Masai must have figured it would be easier to find bigs in free agency than perimeter talent, and he was sort of right in that Biyombo and Scola are good backups and apart from Joseph, there wasn't much in that range in terms of perimeter players to fall in love with.

Would have been nice to find a way to have saved enough money to take on Landry or Thompson's deal and get Stauskas out of it. We could then have maybe saved 9M or so a year by having Stauskas hitting 3s off the bench for the next 3 years rather than Ross. That's enough to at least let us offer a max this summer instead of the 17-18M or so we'll have to play with.

Back on topic, it looks like we'll play well this year and so maybe DeRozan stays and the Knicks late lotto pick will just be used on the highest upside forward we can get, with either Carroll playing more smallball 4 or the pick themselves being a 4. RIght now, on DraftExpress, after Bender at 6, the forwards are Ellenson (Marquette) at 8, Diallo (Kansas) at 11 and all the way down at 22, Hayes (Wisconsin), followed by Sabonis (Gonzaga) at 23.

I've seen a ton of Hayes and a fair bit of Sabonis, but none of the other 2. Hayes can do a bit of everything offensively. A lot of people think he's the best player in the Big 10. Has a nice post-up game (though in the pros, his size would hurt that when defended by a proper 4) and hit 40% of his 3s. Not huge at 6'8, 235, and he only had 6 rebounds a game and meh steals and blocks (0.8 and 0.4) in a healthy 33 minutes, so that's the concern. But offensively, he went from shooting zero 3s to a great 3pt shooter and his FTs went from 58 to 75. He also had the same amount of TOs in double the minutes. So definitely a smart offensive player. It'll be interesting to see if he blows up this year with Kaminsky and Dekker gone.

Sabonis just turned 19, is massive for a 4 at 6'11, 240 and had a nice freshman season, putting up 10 + 7 in only 22 a game. He doesn't move as well as Hayes, but also has a nice post game and at his size, it's one that could function in the NBA.

I could see either dude being a nice compliment to Biyombo on the 2nd unit and Hayes in particular as a stretch 4 against teams who don't have a big 4 to punish us with and because he will be a real threat against smaller or even similar sized players in the post.

I know Ellenson is supposed to have a lot of skill and Diallo the work ethic of a Faried type, but that's it.
Where's the D?
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#86 » by Steelo Green » Fri Nov 6, 2015 5:49 pm

How so?

Net positive in all advanced stats metrics, shooting 45% from distance.

His PER is a shade low and he is rebounding poorly so far, but he is doing fine for a stretch big off the bench for 20 MPG.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 456

Post#87 » by youngRAPZ » Fri Nov 6, 2015 8:02 pm

I think Noel would be perfect beside JV. Trade the Ny pick Patterson and Ross if need be for Noel and target a sixth man wing in free agency or with our pick.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#88 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Nov 6, 2015 8:33 pm

Start Bennett
Yeezy SZN approaching
Trigger7
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#89 » by Trigger7 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 9:45 pm

Luis Scolajuwon is doing a great job right now. It's too early to tell if we really need to something about the PF position. Let the team play more.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,760

Post#90 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Nov 6, 2015 10:07 pm

Looks like Masai screwed up with drafting Wright over Portis. But hey, if you're gonna make a mistake with the 20th pick I don't think it's that big a deal. He'll get another crack at it with the Knicks pick, his own pick, the Bucks pick, etc. It's not the end of the world. Bennett is still a PF prospect, and was a top 10 talent in his draft class so there's gotta be something there too.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#91 » by hyper316 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 10:26 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:

How so?

Net positive in all advanced stats metrics, shooting 45% from distance.

His PER is a shade low and he is rebounding poorly so far, but he is doing fine for a stretch big off the bench for 20 MPG.

i guess my disappointment is that he lost the starting role before the season started
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#92 » by BryceMaxJames » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:03 pm

We could have had that in Bobby Portis, but instead we pick D Wright and sign C Joseph. SMH
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#93 » by Alfred » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:04 pm

Zeno wrote:Noel might be available for the Knicks pick because that's the kind of thing Philly seems to do. Maybe trade Knicks' pick plus Patterson for Noel and Stauskas. You'd lose the shooting at the 4 but replace it with another shooter on the wing.

Noel is one of their main pieces, and a guy who they have developed for a while now. I doubt they deal him for a pick, even if it ends up being a high one.

If you want to grab a guy from their team for a pick, I'd target Embiid, if you're confident that he can recover from his injuries.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#94 » by ThatClockWork » Fri Nov 6, 2015 11:21 pm

Jstock12 wrote:Trade for Amir!

Hell no. I am glad he is gone and we're better for it.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#95 » by Woody Allen » Sat Nov 7, 2015 12:21 am

If we hadn't overpaid scurbs like Joseph and Ross and salary dumped Patterson we could have offered a deal to Al Horford this summer, who would be a great long term solution a good fit next to Jonas V. Lowry - Derozan, Carroll, Horford, Valanciunas would be an exciting lineup.
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#96 » by BryceMaxJames » Sat Nov 7, 2015 2:43 am

Shannon Frye
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#97 » by ballislife » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:49 am

I know it probably won't happen, but I do want to see what Bennett can do with our starting lineup with a vote of confidence from his coach and teammates. He potentially has exactly what we need with strength/length/rebounding/shooting at the PF spot. His game is all about confidence... I think Casey needs to get him in there and tell the other guys to look for him on the perimiter, he needs that confidence to succeed while his main mission will be setting screens and roaming around the rim on D.

I honestly think he's a lot more naturally gifted than both Scola/Patterson... he needs some confidence to break the ice and he can break through (kinda like Whiteside - who was an afterthought for a LONG time, even by Casey). AB has the body/skill to make a serious difference - I hope Casey can actually work him into that kind of position.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#98 » by Anatomize » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 am

By drafting Bobby Portis instead of Delon Wright.. oh wait.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,784

Post#99 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:34 pm

The answer to the OP question is you wait a year and use cap space and possibly the draft to fill starter AND bench spots. Any trade would just leave another glaring hole somewhere else. Sorry that's not instant gratification kids.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,587

Post#100 » by dTox » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Alfred wrote:
Zeno wrote:Noel might be available for the Knicks pick because that's the kind of thing Philly seems to do. Maybe trade Knicks' pick plus Patterson for Noel and Stauskas. You'd lose the shooting at the 4 but replace it with another shooter on the wing.

Noel is one of their main pieces, and a guy who they have developed for a while now. I doubt they deal him for a pick, even if it ends up being a high one.

If you want to grab a guy from their team for a pick, I'd target Embiid, if you're confident that he can recover from his injuries.

I know this is a late response, but I would target Saric with our pick, he's essentially an afterthought behind Noel/Okafor and the pick is also exactly the sort of "would you like this free vacation ticket or whats inside this box" option Philly would go for.
TBZ for the win

Return to Toronto Raptors