ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread 

Post#2621 » by hsb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 am

Read on Twitter
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#2622 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 am

Good night for Trey.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#2623 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 am

Dillon brooks 45 to Memphis
Raptors til death
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#2624 » by mojo13 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 am

And the Warriors immediately sign undrafted Chris Boucher to a two way deal.

Love it for both. He could be a real steal and nice fit for the warriors. Jordan Bell is a fantastic selection for the Warriors as well.

I like Brooks in Memphis as well - frumble called his draft spot. He will get a legit shot at a role in Memphis. And the Grizz just seem the right team for him.

I suppose a trade for Lyles is a good thing, he just collapsed so badly in Utah it looks like they lost all faith in him. A fresh start could do him well, along with some familiarity with Murray.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#2625 » by frumble » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Not a bad night for Brooks and Boucher.

U19s kick off their exhibition slate tomorrow. Have games against France, Spain, and Lithuania before heading to Cairo for Worlds.

Melvin Ejim named MVP of Serie A (Italian league) finals.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,419

Post#2626 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:12 pm

mojo13 wrote:And the Warriors immediately sign undrafted Chris Boucher to a two way deal.

Love it for both. He could be a real steal and nice fit for the warriors. Jordan Bell is a fantastic selection for the Warriors as well.

I like Brooks in Memphis as well - frumble called his draft spot. He will get a legit shot at a role in Memphis. And the Grizz just seem the right team for him.

I suppose a trade for Lyles is a good thing, he just collapsed so badly in Utah it looks like they lost all faith in him. A fresh start could do him well, along with some familiarity with Murray.

The Warriors are perfect for Boucher, and no pressure to rush his recovery either.

I was more excited when I first thought Brooks was going to Houston, because I thought he really fits their style, but he should find a role in Memphis too.

I hope Lyles can get back on track in Denver. He'll have to compete for time with Faried, Hernangomez and Lydon, but the latter two aren't really established either, and Faried might not be in Denver's long term plans. It would be great if he could find some front court chemistry with Jokic, which he might be able to do as his passing ability will fit in well.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#2627 » by frumble » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 pm

So looks like there will be at least five Canadians in summer league:

Brooks, Memphis
Naz Long, Indiana and Sacramento
Dylan Ennis, OKC and Golden State
XRM, Knicks
Olivier Hanlan, Spurs

I think Wiltjer will probably play for Houston, and wouldn't be surprised if Duane Notice gets an invite from someone.

I am sure there will be others as well.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 952

Post#2628 » by TheFutureMM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:20 pm

http://globalnews.ca/news/3548314/halifax-to-host-canadas-first-qualifying-game-for-2019-fiba-basketball-world-cup/

Canada is set to play the first game of the 2019 World Cup Qualifiers in Halifax. This is also their last "home" game until June 29th 2018 - really hoping these last two games are in Toronto.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#2629 » by frumble » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Canada's first U19 exhibition game is on now against France.

Per Basketball Canada, 50-47 for France entering Q4.
Starters for Canada were:
Wigginton
Barrett
Kigab
Longpre
Oduro
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#2630 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 pm

frumble wrote:Canada's first U19 exhibition game is on now against France.

Per Basketball Canada, 50-47 for France entering Q4.
Starters for Canada were:
Wigginton
Barrett
Kigab
Longpre
Oduro

So I guess Canada ended up losing by about 6. It's just exhibition and France is tough so it doesn't necessarily mean much. I am surprised by the starting lineup though. It's hard to say this without sounding disrespectful to those guys but...Longpre and Oduro are really the best we can do at the 4 and 5 positions? I know being without Shi-ttu is tough but I really fear we're going to get dominated inside in this tournament.

Let's hope at least one of Canada's big men surprises me!

And I don't know if it says more about how great Barrett is or about how few of our other talented players showed up, but the fact that he will be clearly the best player on the team despite being almost 2 years younger than the other top guys is interesting.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#2631 » by Undefeated » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:37 am

Got an update as to why some of the guys didn't play for the U19 team. Simi didn't play because there's a certain player on the team he doesn't want to play with and the other guys chose not to because of some stuff that went down with the coaching staff off the court. Sorry if it's vague but that's all I can share. Hopefully you guys can figure out bits and pieces.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2632 » by Undefeated » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 am

slothrop8 wrote:Scott Morrison is going to be an assistant with the Celtics this upcoming season. He'd been coaching their DLeague team - is also an Asst. on the SMNT.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/islander-nba-boston-celtics-1.4167917

Good for Scott and couldn't be happier to see a Canadian coach in the NBA. Had to grind his way into the league.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#2633 » by slothrop8 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:13 am

Undefeated wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:Scott Morrison is going to be an assistant with the Celtics this upcoming season. He'd been coaching their DLeague team - is also an Asst. on the SMNT.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/islander-nba-boston-celtics-1.4167917

Good for Scott and couldn't be happier to see a Canadian coach in the NBA. Had to grind his way into the league.

Exciting for him. To come from rural PEI to the NBA, it's a little crazy to be honest. To be coaching at the NBA level is extremely impressive.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#2634 » by BilboBanginz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:25 am

Undefeated wrote:Got an update as to why some of the guys didn't play for the U19 team. Simi didn't play because there's a certain player on the team he doesn't want to play with and the other guys chose not to because of some stuff that went down with the coaching staff off the court. Sorry if it's vague but that's all I can share. Hopefully you guys can figure out bits and pieces.

Damn this sucks. Does anyone else get a sinking feeling that Canada Basketball is going to blow the opportunity to be competitive with our "Golden Generation"? I really hate to see our top young prospects become disenfranchised with the program.
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 952

Post#2635 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 am

Undefeated wrote:Got an update as to why some of the guys didn't play for the U19 team. Simi didn't play because there's a certain player on the team he doesn't want to play with and the other guys chose not to because of some stuff that went down with the coaching staff off the court. Sorry if it's vague but that's all I can share. Hopefully you guys can figure out bits and pieces.

I have stuck up for the coaching / management staff a lot over the last two years (since the FIBA America's loss) and this is really a bummer to hear. Obviously you have some insight into this and I appreciate the post - any chance you can give us your perspective on whether or not the players are justified in not coming? I appreciate the unbiased posts but would love to hear your opinion on the absences (not looking to have you name any specific players or situations).

Regarding Simi, I really hope the player isn't RJ Barrett. I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out who was on the U17 team last year that was on the U19 team this year (Barrett, Djuricic, Kirkwood, Shephard, Miller) but realized it could potentially be someone a year ahead of him (Henry, Kigab, Darling, Wigginton, etc) who he doesn't want to play with so it's pointless to speculate.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#2636 » by Patman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:58 pm

hsb wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mike is the son of the original Raps coach Brendan Malone, yes?
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2637 » by Undefeated » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:I have stuck up for the coaching / management staff a lot over the last two years (since the FIBA America's loss) and this is really a bummer to hear. Obviously you have some insight into this and I appreciate the post - any chance you can give us your perspective on whether or not the players are justified in not coming? I appreciate the unbiased posts but would love to hear your opinion on the absences (not looking to have you name any specific players or situations).

It had to do with the coaching staff (or a coach I should say :wink:) promising certain group of guys if they were to be on the team. Guys talk with each other and stuff spread between them which caused some of the player to not trust what they were told.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#2638 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Thanks for these updates, Undefeated.

This is very disappointing, but basically confirms some of the other stuff that has been trickling out over the past couple of years. I had hoped that the junior ranks under Rana might be less affected by some of the management issues and politicking that have plagued the senior national team, but I guess not.

Management really has to get their house in order before it's too late and it ends up costing us what should be the best Canadian basketball generation ever. An argument could probably be made that it already cost us participation in one Olympics, since the turnout for the qualifying tournament last year was abysmal.

Even though I believe most of the blame falls on coaches and management, I'm a little disappointed in Simi if his reason for not showing up is that he doesn't like one of the other players. Even if said player is a total jerk, he's going to have to learn that he wants to be a professional basketball player (or any profession where you have to work in a team) there are always going to be co-workers that you don't get along with. I understand it's a little different because this is voluntary and in the NBA he'll be paid, but it's still good to learn that you often have to suck it up for the larger goal of the team, rather than just take your ball and go home.
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#2639 » by frumble » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Canada beat Spain 88-72 today in their final exhibition game before the U19 Worlds.

I haven't seen boxscores for any of the three games. From the limited info in the Basketball Canada game stories, we know that Wigginton, Barrett, and Kigab started all three games. Up front, the starters were Longpre-Oduro against France, then Longpre-Bamba vs. Lithuania, and then Miller-Shephard vs. Spain.

Barrett has 12 pts, 26 pts, and then 16 pts.
Kigab had 8 pts in the first game and 15 pts in the second.
Wigginton had 32 pts in the second game.
Darling had 22 pts in the third game.
Henry had 12 pts in the third game.

Prior to Shai Alexander's late pull-out I thought Barrett would start at the 3 (with Wigginton and Alexander as the guards), which would allow Kigab to play a lot of time at the 4.

Without Alexander, and with the general lack of guards, it seems Barrett has been mainly at the 2 and Kigab at the 3 (at least in terms of starting).

Haven't seen Djuricic or Kirkwood in any of the game stories. So neither started or finished as a top scorer in any of the exhibition games. I expect they will have bigger roles in the tournament.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#2640 » by mojo13 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm

No boxscore here either. The blurbs I saw online are as follows:

Lithuania Game:
Duo of Lindell Wigginton and RJ Barrett who led Canada over Lithuania 102-82 at Troyes tournament. Wigginton topped all scorers with 32 points, followed by Barrett with 26 (and 9 reb). Abu Kigab added 15 points. High for Lithuania were Kulboka with 24, Sedekerskis with 12, Jokubaitis 11 and Gadiliauskas 10. Canada led at half 48-35.

Spain game:
Canada finished the French tournament with a win over Spain 88-72 (48-36 at the half). Nate Darling scored 22 points, RJ Barrett had 16 (and 8 assists) and Jordan Henry added 12 (+ 5 asts). Spain ends the tournament winless, Canada is 2-1. Both teams will play in the same Group C at the WC.

Return to Toronto Raptors