ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Jonas coming back a smokescreen?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Re: Was Jonas coming back a smokescreen? 

Post#21 » by Mack11 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:40 am

dwane "koffing" casey
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#22 » by Thespianoid » Tue May 24, 2016 3:41 am

DHK wrote:I'm worried about JV based on how the cavs play.
especially if they bring out the Kyrie/Smith/Lebron/Frye/Love or small ball with Kyrie/Smith/Shump/Lebron/Frye.
The reason why Biyombo works because he's a legit mobile big and decent perimeter defender, JV is our least mobile court on the roster and hes going to get blown by with the quickness of Love/Frye, he cant go that far. :|
If JV is used this series..I'm extremely curious on how he's going to be utilized against the Cavs' lethal 3 ball line up

honestly I can't see JV really being that useful in this Cavs series, because of how many ways they have to negate his impact (by bringing him out of the paint), either by having him guard a shooting big or just by going ultra small.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,324

Post#23 » by TOStateofMind » Tue May 24, 2016 3:43 am

Im guessing the early lead made it easier to not play him too, and I dont think they would bring him in the 2nd half and just throw him into the fire like that unless they absolutely had to.
JohnnyFlame
Rookie
And1: 254

Post#24 » by JohnnyFlame » Tue May 24, 2016 3:44 am

They lose the game and it's all over. JV in the game would have been a desperation move and thankfully they didn't have to do it. IF he is healthy then he is a great added weapon and keeps BB fresher. But really he needs to be used smartly coming off an injury. Minute limit and even the minutes he gets very controlled against the 2nd string. They could even go offense/defense with him and BB to close out games. Anything but just sticking him out there and expecting him to be right back into the thick of things after sitting out.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,269

Post#25 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:44 am

If Lowry and Derozan play like they did today, we're better off going with Biyombo.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,269

Re: Re: Was Jonas coming back a smokescreen? 

Post#26 » by Raps in 4 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am

especially if they bring out the Kyrie/Smith/Lebron/Frye/Love or small ball with Kyrie/Smith/Shump/Lebron/Frye.
The reason why Biyombo works because he's a legit mobile big and decent perimeter defender, JV is our least mobile court on the roster and hes going to get blown by with the quickness of Love/Frye, he cant go that far. :|
If JV is used this series..I'm extremely curious on how he's going to be utilized against the Cavs' lethal 3 ball line up

I'm usually an advocate of giving him playing time, but in this series, I'd only do it if Lowry/DD are slumping and we need offence.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#27 » by Deadpool Raptor » Tue May 24, 2016 3:53 am

Was at the game, he was walking pretty well and hopping around on the bench. Looked reasonably good, no limp.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,070

Post#28 » by kieferli » Tue May 24, 2016 3:55 am

Yes I think it is and Cleveland support to change the C line up to Frye . may be after they know JV may come back they change their plan . Give Casey credit he out play Lue this series
Credit:Clutch0z24
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#29 » by Patman » Tue May 24, 2016 4:02 am

JV can play spot minutes. You can bring him in at the end of the first quarters to avoid cheapie fouls the refs love to hang on BB.

At the end of games, you can do offense/defense with BB.
TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,361

Post#30 » by TheGameWinner » Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 am

For sure. Casey talked about strengthening the ankle... etc... he was hoping for a blow out.. he veiled in that he may not play next game.

I think with the chemistry we have with our unit - and his obvious disadvantage right now with lack of foot speed - we need to get him to 100% .. save him for the next round (I hope. :$$$)
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#31 » by TheGoodDoctor » Tue May 24, 2016 4:18 am

Crazy we're in this series and we're bringing the big guy back!

#WICTORYBABY!
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,704

Post#32 » by Kurtz » Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 am

Laure wrote:I'm sure he would have played if necessary but the most important thing against Cleveland is to guard the 3pt line, which Jonas is too slow to cover. Wouldn't be too pleasant to see him guard Frye

Do you think Frye could guard JV in the post?
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#33 » by orbesnet » Tue May 24, 2016 4:38 am

Northface82 wrote:First calling out the refs, now mentally toying with Tyrone Lue.
Well done Casey. Well done.

While also finding his big man a few more days of rest and conditioning before throwing him back out there.
Pascal to the future.
Jer15Jer
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#34 » by Jer15Jer » Tue May 24, 2016 4:42 am

It was such a good call to declare him ready to play. The Cavs had to scramble for sure.
yogimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,927

Post#35 » by yogimvp » Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 am

save him for the finals.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#36 » by team edward » Tue May 24, 2016 4:47 am

Northface82 wrote:First calling out the refs, now mentally toying with Tyrone Lue.
Well done Casey. Well done.

Not to mention the unconventional step of having Lowry guard Lebron, the only thing that could shut down Cleveland in that 4th...
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,355

Post#37 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 24, 2016 4:47 am

The key here is to get Cleveland to react to us. Make them play a big.
PANDABREAD
Sophomore
And1: 140

Post#38 » by PANDABREAD » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 am

Hope he can play centre at least limited mins with bench lineup next game *cough*not patterson*cough* because the lineup that casey experimented on with jj-klow-2pat failed miserably.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,053

Post#39 » by carlosey » Tue May 24, 2016 4:50 am

Kurtz wrote:
Laure wrote:I'm sure he would have played if necessary but the most important thing against Cleveland is to guard the 3pt line, which Jonas is too slow to cover. Wouldn't be too pleasant to see him guard Frye

Do you think Frye could guard JV in the post?

They are trying to go with all 3pt shooters to open up the lane for Lebron, but keeping Biz in helps, Frye just caught on fire. On the flipside of the coin, you post up Frye over and over and over with JV and take him out.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#40 » by Dennis 37 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:51 am

CDN Uprising wrote:Casey said he nearly put him in the game in the post game presser

Isn't the PG presser too late to put him in?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Toronto Raptors