ImageImageImageImageImage

Demar Derozan Officially Opts Out Of Contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Re: Demar Derozan Officially Opt's Out Of Contract 

Post#141 » by Gold Dragon » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:42 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:I have a feeling someone will have to explain the 15 million dollar Cap hold that still exists on our books until he signs his next contract in the NBA so I'm partially doing that here.

Wait, what?

The take home fact here (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that irrespective of Demar opting in or out his cap hold is the
same.

The option on his contract was worth 10.3M. If he opted in, that would have been his salary and cap hit. He would then go into free agency next off season and miss out on 15.6M this year. This was never going to happen.
David-Kornel
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Re: DeMar confirms he's coming back at less than the max 

Post#142 » by David-Kornel » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:48 pm

theSkinny wrote:
David-Kornel wrote:BARF

Big Ass Raptor Fan?

Care to explain what someone thinks of Demar, his game, his role on the team and his possible crippling hit on the team's salary cap have to do with being a "Raptor fan"? I would really like hear.
teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Re: Re: Re: Demar Derozan Officially Opt's Out Of Contract 

Post#143 » by teamLeiweke » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Class Act wrote:
teamLeiweke wrote:That report about Lakers having no interest came like a day after Demar gushed about Toronto and said staying with one franchise his entire career is one of the best things he could do and also said he didn't wanna leave when raptors were losing so why would he leave when we're winning. Etc. It was a PR move to save face, but best believe they will at the very least make a phone call to see if DeRozan is interested. With Kobe leaving and all their losing, it makes too much sense for them for a good hometown kid like DD who is a 26 year old all-star and just helped lead a team to the ECF to sign with the Lakers. Especially if they can't land like a Durant, which is extremely unlikely for them anyway.

I wouldn't agree that Derozan "helped us get to the ECF". Unless you are speaking about the regular season exclusively.

Since game 4 of the 2nd round v Miami, DeMar DeRozan had a seven game stretch where averaged 27 ppg on 48.1%fg and 90.9%ft on 8 fta per game.

He was also an extremely important player in our pivotal game 5 and game 7 wins vs the Pacers in the first round as well.

What in the world are you talking about?

Smh.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#144 » by theSkinny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:32 pm

David-Kornel wrote:
theSkinny wrote:
David-Kornel wrote:BARF

Big Ass Raptor Fan?

Care to explain what someone thinks of Demar, his game, his role on the team and his possible crippling hit on the team's salary cap have to do with being a "Raptor fan"? I would really like hear.

How do you feel about it?

Cause I was just asking a question if you were outlining some sort acronym or something else with your original well thought out response?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#145 » by JN » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Psubs wrote:Say he is okay with $20-22-24-26-28 (player option 2nd and 5th year). Would OkC be okay with #9 and Ross in a sign and trade for Durant?

PG Lowry - Joseph - Wright
SG Derozan - Powell
SF Durant - Carroll - Cabolco
PF Carroll - Patterson
C Valanciunas - Nogueira - #27

Why would you want Demar in such a lineup with such a bloated contract. With Lowry, Val and Durant, the last thing we need is his mid range forcing shots game stealing looks from other players. Remember how Lowry was totally neutered in the Dueling Jumpers offence of Gay/Derozan.

Demar is an awful third wheel. Third wheel guys are guys who are effective at other aspects of the game while accepting lower usage.

Not that we are getting Durant anyway....
mattfaria12
Sophomore
And1: 236

Re: Demar Derozan Officially Opts Out Of Contract 

Post#146 » by mattfaria12 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Demar Derozan is now an unrestricted free agent after opting out of his contract with Toronto Raptors. His campaign fell short last season as Toronto lost to Cleveland Cavaliers in Eastern Conference finals. There are several teams rumored to be his next destinations and Atlanta Hawks and Chicago Bulls are mentioned.l

The Los Angeles Lakers appeared to have inside track on Demar Derozan. He is a native of Los Angeles and playing for his hometown in front of family and friends could be a big boost. The Toronto Raptors can still decide if they will sign him back or not, they have the money to match offers and add a fifth year to the deal.

Per FanSided, the Atlanta Hawks and Chicago Bulls are better options for Derozan than the Lakers. The Hawks will be in a transitions phase as Al Horford, Jeff Teague and Dennis Schroder are all rumored leaving. Chicago Bulls are also in the same phase as Jimmy Butler, Pau Gasol and Joakim Noah are rumored leaving.

If Demar Derozan chooses Atlanta Hawks, he will have other scorers with him which he lacked in Toronto. A lot of Raptors’ offense relied on Derozan and Kyle Lowry which increased their minutes and risk of getting injured. In Hawks, Derozan will have Jeff Teague, Paul Millsap and Al Horford if he is not traded.

In Chicago Bulls, he will be a replacement for Jimmy Butler, should the team pull the trigger that would send him to Minnesota Timberwolves. Demar Derozan will be paired with a healthy again Derrick Rose and the partnership would be interesting.

According to Today’s Fastbreak (blog), Demar Derozan tallied 24 points, five rebounds and four assists last season while shooting 45 percent from the field and 35 percent from rainbow territory. Those are pretty good numbers to consider for NBA teams willing to snap him up in free agency.

He played his entire career in Toronto and fans would want him to stay. His partnership with Kyle Lowry has also blossomed and carried the franchise to new heights. Derozan will have plenty of options this offseason should he decide to continue his NBA journey elsewhere.

http://www.hofmag.com/nba-rumors-demar-derozan-go-atlanta-hawks-chicago-bulls/159425
@raptorscity8 for Raptors twitter news
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,940

Post#147 » by Potential » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 am

PANAV
Smitch
Bench Warmer
And1: 168

Post#148 » by Smitch » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:59 am

Demar is still an asset, and he won't have the worst contract in few years.
In some case he could work as a salary dump in a trade later.
Stalley911
Sophomore
And1: 203

Post#149 » by Stalley911 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 am

JN wrote:
Psubs wrote:Say he is okay with $20-22-24-26-28 (player option 2nd and 5th year). Would OkC be okay with #9 and Ross in a sign and trade for Durant?

SG Derozan - Powell
PF Carroll - Patterson

Why would you want Demar in such a lineup with such a bloated contract. With Lowry, Val and Durant, the last thing we need is his mid range forcing shots game stealing looks from other players. Remember how Lowry was totally neutered in the Dueling Jumpers offence of Gay/Derozan.

Demar is an awful third wheel. Third wheel guys are guys who are effective at other aspects of the game while accepting lower usage.

Give it a rest mate. You're not even making a coherent argument. :crazy: :noway:
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#150 » by JN » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Stalley911 wrote:
JN wrote:

SG Derozan - Powell
PF Carroll - Patterson

Give it a rest mate. You're not even making a coherent argument. :crazy: :noway:

Sure thing Skippy
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Re: Re: Re: Demar Derozan Officially Opt's Out Of Contract 

Post#151 » by load management » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:50 am

teamLeiweke wrote:
Class Act wrote:
teamLeiweke wrote:That report about Lakers having no interest came like a day after Demar gushed about Toronto and said staying with one franchise his entire career is one of the best things he could do and also said he didn't wanna leave when raptors were losing so why would he leave when we're winning. Etc. It was a PR move to save face, but best believe they will at the very least make a phone call to see if DeRozan is interested. With Kobe leaving and all their losing, it makes too much sense for them for a good hometown kid like DD who is a 26 year old all-star and just helped lead a team to the ECF to sign with the Lakers. Especially if they can't land like a Durant, which is extremely unlikely for them anyway.

I wouldn't agree that Derozan "helped us get to the ECF". Unless you are speaking about the regular season exclusively.

Since game 4 of the 2nd round v Miami, DeMar DeRozan had a seven game stretch where averaged 27 ppg on 48.1%fg and 90.9%ft on 8 fta per game.

He was also an extremely important player in our pivotal game 5 and game 7 wins vs the Pacers in the first round as well.

What in the world are you talking about?

Smh.

Well, he played deplorable basketball, for 11 of the 14 games in the first two rounds leading up to the ECF. It's ok, I am trying to erase it from my memory as well, in anticipation of his max contract on the way.
**** the Tony Brothers
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#152 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 am

Derozan wasn't definitely below what I would say is the mendoza line of TS% (.500) for most of the playoffs. In face he was well below for the entire playoffs in spite of how he played at the end. Earlier he wasn't even close to mediocrity. It is difficult to put a positive spin on a guy with 46% TS in a playoff, to be commended for sure.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#153 » by tsherkin » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Derozan wasn't definitely below what I would say is the mendoza line of TS% (.500) for most of the playoffs. In face he was well below for the entire playoffs in spite of how he played at the end. Earlier he wasn't even close to mediocrity. It is difficult to put a positive spin on a guy with 46% TS in a playoff, to be commended for sure.

Indeed. He had a 6-game series against the Cavs where his shot was falling despite not playing any differently compared to the earlier matchups where his poor decisions were getting him into trouble. By series...

vs IND: 36.2 mpg, 17.9 PPG, 19.7 FGA/g, 31.9% FG, 2.6 3PA/g, 16.7% 3P, 5.6 FTA/g, 87.2% FT, 40.3% TS, 87 ORTG
vs MIA: 38.4 mpg, 22.1 PPG, 21.7 FGA/g, 38.8% FG, 0.6 3PA/g, 25.0% 3P, 7.3 FTA/g, 70.6% FT, 44.4% TS, 94 ORTG
vs CLE: 37.4 mpg, 23.0 ppg, 18.0 FGA/g, 50.0% FG, 0.7 3PA/g, 0.0% 3P, 5.5 FTA/g, 90.9% FT, 56.3% TS, 109 ORTG

So he was brutal at the one thing we really ask of him for 14 of 20 games. IN the Indy series, you can look at Paul George, but also his decision-making. In the Miami series, there was the thumb, but also his decision-making. In the Cleveland series, he was still basically playing the same way, but his shots started falling, and so he looked much better... which was timely, matching off against the fact that it reinforced his bad habits and weak approach.

Things to think about. We've now seen five postseason matchups from Demar and about four of them have been mediocre or worse, and his decision-making has been comparably poor and without any real adaptation in each, which is not an encouraging trend. He is a slow learner with respect to basketball, so this doesn't really bolster my spirits looking forward in the hopes of him looking better. We basically survived Demar for two rounds (although Lowry took his sweet time coming around as well, and there were other issues of consequence, surely), and that's not really ideal for a big-minutes, 30% USG player. That is, in fact, directly a structural issue with roster design, presuming that consistent playoff success and deep playoff runs are a major point of interest. We really should have lost both the opening series and the semis, but the other team outplayed us in their efforts to lose. That won't happen all of the time, and I feel like a lot of people are missing out on the context of how things went. We fought and scrapped to seven games against some teams that really weren't that good, either in the regular season or during the postseason. We made that look so, so hard that it was a little embarrassing. I mean, it's nice that we won: we set a couple of franchise-firsts, and that's always nice to see. It's about time we had a 50-win season and got out of the first round for the second time, that was great. But man, did we ever make the first two rounds of the playoffs look like the Battle of Stalingrad in the process.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#154 » by hsb » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:28 am

VinBaker6 wrote:Image

Damn, bmacc got it right and Demar didn't even pretend lol. Everything about that is awesome.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#155 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 6:30 am

I broke the story first. Gimme AND1'S

S/O to TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors