ImageImageImageImageImage

Thon Maker Draft Reactions

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Re: Thon Maker Draft Reactions 

Post#21 » by TheGoodDoctor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Saciid11 wrote:Look at the length on the bucks

PG- Greek Freak ..6'11
SG- Kris Middleton..6'7
SF - Parker...6'9 or 6'10
PF- Thon ... 7'1
C- Monroe...6'11

That is video game lineup

Does this support the case that it's not the size of the package but how you use it?!
GoinHAM
Sophomore
And1: 496

Post#22 » by GoinHAM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 pm

nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#23 » by nabbs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Saciid11 wrote:
nabbs wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:19 year old 7ft who moves like small forward, has decent shot for inexperienced player, has potential to develop into a special player... why would anyone hate on this pick or consider it surprise.

The Greek Giant being picked #13 is bigger reach and surprise... 20 years ago Greek Giant would have been valuable Center, but today's game he is just a stiff.

GIannis was already playing in a pro league and had a good feel for the game with his facilitating. He was tremendously skilled coming in to the league. He also wasn't completely embarrassed and abused at the Nike Hoops Summit where every NBA scout was watching, unlike Thon Maker.

Why not give Thon Maker at least 2 years before you write him off as bust..Also Bucks front office saw something in his game they liked more then other players like him ...Skal and Davis...

Sure ill give him 2 years before I write him off as a bust... But not at the expense of a 10th pick

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#24 » by Flight33 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:00 pm

PG- Greek Freak ..6'11
SG- Kris Middleton..6'7
PF- Thon ... 7'1
C- Monroe...6'11

Can Thon shoot 3's? If not, that's not very good spacing.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Post#25 » by Tofubeque » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:29 am

They should have taken Zhou Qi instead
props Turbozone
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#26 » by hoop_head » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:36 am

CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#27 » by CoachJReturns » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:51 am

I actually liked the pick for them. They need elite talent that can add something defensively in the frontcourt and they swung for the fences. May not pay off, but in theory he's everything Monroe is not.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#28 » by alpngso » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:05 am

CoachJReturns wrote:I actually liked the pick for them. They need elite talent that can add something defensively in the frontcourt and they swung for the fences. May not pay off, but in theory he's everything Monroe is not.

23 or 24 year old who still doesn't have any NBA skill is not an elite talent.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#29 » by Saciid11 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 am

Flight33 wrote:

PG- Greek Freak ..6'11
SG- Kris Middleton..6'7
PF- Thon ... 7'1
C- Monroe...6'11

Can Thon shoot 3's? If not, that's not very good spacing.

Middleton is among one the best 3 point shooters in the game, Parker is skilled enough to be decent 3 point shooter .... Thon appeal right now is his ability to shoot the ball and with great nba coaching he should improve his overall shooting I'm pretty confident ...
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#30 » by Saciid11 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 am

alpngso wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:I actually liked the pick for them. They need elite talent that can add something defensively in the frontcourt and they swung for the fences. May not pay off, but in theory he's everything Monroe is not.

So he African he must be lying about his age ...

The Greek Freak must have lied about his age to, after all we have known way longer Thon before he arrived in NBA then Greak Freak ... Anyway why would Bucks spend top 10 pick without doing due diligence... Our do you want me to believe rumors of fan over Thon or Bucks or better 4 or 5 years we have seen him mature..
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,625

Post#31 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 am

alpngso wrote:

A random person posting pictures on Twitter doesn't add 5 years to someone's age, either.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#32 » by alpngso » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:32 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
alpngso wrote:

A random person posting pictures on Twitter doesn't add 5 years to someone's age, either.

It was reported before the draft that several teams took him off the board because the age, and I sure don't think they go off on what was posted on twitter either. :wink:
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,625

Post#33 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:53 am

alpngso wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
alpngso wrote:

It was reported before the draft that several teams took him off the board because the age, and I sure don't think they go off on what was posted on twitter either. :wink:

Who reported it? Where? It was also 'reported', by Chad Ford of all people, that the Raps were taking Skal at 9. Teams say all kinds of things to reporters before the draft in order to try and get the guys they want.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#34 » by bluerap23 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:36 am

nabbs wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:19 year old 7ft who moves like small forward, has decent shot for inexperienced player, has potential to develop into a special player... why would anyone hate on this pick or consider it surprise.

The Greek Giant being picked #13 is bigger reach and surprise... 20 years ago Greek Giant would have been valuable Center, but today's game he is just a stiff.

GIannis was already playing in a pro league and had a good feel for the game with his facilitating. He was tremendously skilled coming in to the league. He also wasn't completely embarrassed and abused at the Nike Hoops Summit where every NBA scout was watching, unlike Thon Maker.

He's talking about this year's #13 Georgios Papagiannis, not the Greek Freak.
Northface82
RealGM
And1: 59,711

Post#35 » by Northface82 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:40 am

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#36 » by DrCoach » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:46 am

nabbs wrote:

And yet Maker goes #10 and Skai goes #28
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 887

Post#37 » by Got Nuffin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:04 am

I have every reason to fanboy Thon Maker, being a Canadian-Aussie just like him, but unless I'm watching his highlights on Youtube honestly I don't see it.

It is crazy that when I watch his highlights I'm think 'my goodess, he could be Kevin Garnett!', but when I watch him in an actual formal game against his peers (who he may or may not be older than) he looks like he could be the worst player on either team and has little of idea how to play.

So I have no idea what to think. I wouldn't pick him at 10, but hey it's not like any of us worked him out.

I will say that if the rumours about his age are true, he will be out of the league in a few years and playing back in Australia with Anthony Bennett. He is still well underdeveloped skill-wise at this stage.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#38 » by T-d0t » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:25 am

Is it me or is Maker being picked 10th less of a surprise then Bruno @20?
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#39 » by Lukeem » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:34 am

Saciid11 wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Why not give Thon Maker at least 2 years before you write him off as bust..Also Bucks front office saw something in his game they liked more then other players like him ...Skal and Davis...

You're absolutely right. But I think Thon spent his last two years spreading his seed around Ontario with a lot of realgmers current girlfriends. Hence the level of irrational response to a player that has nothing to do with us and was not as bad of a reach as someone taken a couple pics later.
bubbrubb
Sophomore
And1: 135

Post#40 » by bubbrubb » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:17 am

less talking, more pics.

Return to Toronto Raptors