ImageImageImageImageImage

Updated Salary Cap Situation

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Updated Salary Cap Situation 

Post#1 » by Troubadour » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 pm

At this time, we would be better off using the Mid-Level Exception ($5,628,000) than signing someone using our cap space.

We have two exceptions and two available roster spots:
MLE - $5,628,000
Bi-Annual Exception - $2,203,000

Candidates for the MLE:
- Brandon Bass
- David West
- Thomas Robinson
- Darrell Arthur
- Matt Barnes
- Trevor Booker
- Jared Dudley

Let's say we want to create cap space to sign a free agent, we would have to make a trade to get that cap space. Random trade idea:

Knicks Receive
Terrence Ross

Raptors Receive
Justin Holiday
2017 2nd Round Pick (CHI)
2017 2nd Round Pick (HOU)

Knicks get a starting SG who can hit threes and space the floor, Raptors open up more than $9M in cap space and get two solid second round picks.

Here's what our salary cap situation would be in that scenario:

With that money, we could do one of two things:
1) Re-sign Biyombo
2) Go out and get a player

The best deal we could offer in either scenario would be:
Year 1 - $14,067,826.00
Year 2 - $14,700,878.17
Year 3 - $15,333,930.34
Year 4 - $15,966,982.51

For a total of four years and $60,069,617.02.

My candidates for that contract or something close to it:
- Luol Deng
- Marvin Williams
- Solomon Hiill
- Ryan Anderson

Roster after signing Deng and re-signing DeRozan:

Lowry / Joseph
DeRozan / Wright / Holiday
Carroll / Powell / Caboclo
Deng / Patterson / Siakam
Valanciunas / Poeltl / Nogueira
elecblue
Junior
And1: 424

Re: Updated Salary Cap Situation 

Post#2 » by elecblue » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Great info! And I agree 100% that it's worthwhile to explore trading Ross to open up some cap space. 4y/60M might even be enough to resign Biyombo, this would be the hometown discounted price he was thinking.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3 » by nabbs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:05 pm

If we do use the mid level exception then I would target Barnes or Dudley. How much do you think Crabbe could be had for (assuming he isn't a RFA)?

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#4 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:07 pm

i really want solomon hill....he is young, has good size, pretty athletic and a good shooter. Played tough defense on derozen
nabbs
RealGM

Post#5 » by nabbs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Matt Barnes, Dudely, Solomon hill are guys that would allow us to play them at small ball 4 which would open up spots for multiple guards. Seeing as they can stretch the floor, guys like Joseph and Norm will have open lanes to the bucket. Also, assuming delon gets an increased role with us next year, I could see lineups such as:

Delon/Kyle
Cojo
Demar/Norm
Small ball 4
Pat

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Totem
Analyst
And1: 3,161

Post#6 » by Totem » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:26 pm

I don't think I would want to go after loul deng, especially long term.

Is there any way we could unload ross but instead of using the full 14 mil, split amongst multiple players.

For example use 9 mil and Marvin Williams
and then 5 mil on Solomon Hill
Product of TZ
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,589

Post#7 » by AbC? » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Ross at 11 million is actually great value when the salary cap is at 94 mill and 110 the following year. He has an NBA skill, is locked up and young enough for a team to believe he could get better. He isn't going to get dumped for space, not when Bellinelli is netting the 22nd pick in the draft.
nabbs
RealGM

Post#8 » by nabbs » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Marvin Willims would be interesting but I haven't seen him play in years

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,477

Post#9 » by Brinbe » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Ross isn't going anywhere. Biyombo is gone. Siakam/Poetl were clearly drafted with that in mind.

We probably still need a vet small ball 4 on the cheap, similar to how we brought in Scola last season.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#10 » by JYD » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Who would be valued more on the trade market? Ross at 10 mil or BB at 15?
Who is more valuable to this team?

I'd argue it's BB in both cases, especially considering we have Powell.

So I'd trade Ross and Bebe (hopefully getting us a pick/young asset on small deal) and sign BB. Then work on from there.

Ross to Philly for Grant/??? makes sense to me. Sign BB, get Grant back to give us another good defensive body behind Carroll.

This is all under the assumption Poeltl can play the 4 a lot better than expected though.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#11 » by Landomar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:27 pm

If we don't make any trades, we could probably find two useful players with the MLE and Bi-Annual Exception. Jared Dudley is a guy who I've wanted on the team for years. I'd try to nab him with the MLE. Then I'd look to add a cheap veteran power foward. Perhaps David West would come here and take over for Scola.

Lowry / Joseph / Wright
DeRozan / Ross / Powell
Carroll / Dudley* / Caboclo
West* / Patterson / Siakam

Poeltl, Nogueira, and Siakam could compete for minutes as the backup center. Bruno continues to play in the D-League. The only thing I don't really like about this approach is that Wright and Powell would still be buried on the depth chart, and they are both ready to play right now (especially Powell). That's a good "problem" to have, though.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#12 » by team edward » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Landomar wrote:If we don't make any trades, we could probably find two useful players with the MLE and Bi-Annual Exception. Jared Dudley is a guy who I've wanted on the team for years. I'd try to nab him with the MLE. Then I'd look to add a cheap veteran power foward. Perhaps David West would come here and take over for Scola.

Lowry / Joseph / Wright
DeRozan / Ross / Powell
Carroll / Dudley* / Caboclo
West* / Patterson / Siakam

Poeltl, Nogueira, and Siakam could compete for minutes as the backup center. Bruno continues to play in the D-League. The only thing I don't really like about this approach is that Wright and Powell would still be buried on the depth chart, and they are both ready to play right now (especially Powell). That's a good "problem" to have, though.

Works for me. Simple so that means actually possible, rather than a complicated series of trades with only a remote possibility of getting done. If Powell starts eating Ross' minutes, he can be traded later.
Mr Gametime
Junior
And1: 117

Post#13 » by Mr Gametime » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:08 am

According to the chart with Derozan making 15 million a year we have 5 million in cap space, but he's going to get aprox. 30 million per year for five years or 15 million more per season. That would put us 10 million over the cap and into the luxury so how would trading Ross give us any remaining space? Can someone please explain.
When the rich rob the poor it's called business, when the poor fight back it's called violence.
immaculatedx
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#14 » by immaculatedx » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:10 am

Marvin Williams is the perfect fit.
immaculatedx
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#15 » by immaculatedx » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:10 am

Mr Gametime wrote:According to the chart with Derozan making 15 million a year we have 5 million in cap space, but he's going to get aprox. 30 million per year for five years or 15 million more per season. That would put us 10 million over the cap and into the luxury so how would trading Ross give us any remaining space? Can someone please explain.

You can use the space before resigning demar. After that you use DeMar's bird rights to resign him to go over the cap.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,019

Post#16 » by Dirk » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 am

Mr Gametime wrote:According to the chart with Derozan making 15 million a year we have 5 million in cap space, but he's going to get aprox. 30 million per year for five years or 15 million more per season. That would put us 10 million over the cap and into the luxury so how would trading Ross give us any remaining space? Can someone please explain.

$15.5 million is not his salary. That is his cap hold (150% x his current salary of $10.1 million) [it should be $15.225 million an not the 15.5].

What happens is that the by carrying his cap hold, the Raptors are able to go over the cap to re-sign him. So basically, trade Ross for cap space. Then you can sign players using that cap space and then you can re-sign DeRozan and go over the cap.
60/21/10
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#17 » by gojoorange » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:46 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can't use either of the exceptions unless you are over the cap.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,511

Post#18 » by S.W.A.N » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but we do need to trade Ross before signing Demar right? Should mean we'll know pretty early which way team is going on trade Ross for Cap Room versus letting Biz walk.

I could see us going either way on this one. I love Biz but depending on his salary he might not fit.

Also Yes please to Jared Dudley. Perfect 3/4 guy. Good rotation player who can play mins at the 3 and the 4.
We the North
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,879

Post#19 » by deeps6x » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:48 am

AbC? wrote:Ross at 11 million is actually great value when the salary cap is at 94 mill and 110 the following year. He has an NBA skill, is locked up and young enough for a team to believe he could get better. He isn't going to get dumped for space, not when Bellinelli is netting the 22nd pick in the draft.

Exactly. Imagine what Ross would net you in the draft next June when the cap is about to jump again. Something in the teens no doubt.

Keep Ross. If he actually makes a bit of a leap next season, DD is the one that becomes expendable.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
LarSiN
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,120

Post#20 » by LarSiN » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:13 am

Don't we still have De Colo's 1.5 mill cap hold counting on our cap ? That would have us closer to 3.5 mill in space left
"I quickly cripple the triple-threat devils, disheveled I level headedly settle on spontaneous combustion tactics. Fact is, nothing is drastic or graphic. I melt the steel like blacksmiths"

Return to Toronto Raptors