ImageImageImageImageImage

Stein: DeMar to meet with Raptors at 12:01 a.m. in L.A.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Re: Re: Re: Stein: DeMar to meet with Raptors at 12:01 a.m. in L.A. 

Post#201 » by Hero » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:23 am

Inevitable wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:I can confirm that DD has signed for the max. Congrats DD, hardest working Raptor ever.

And he has and will continue to improve every single year hes in the NBA

And when he doesn't we'll still give him the Kobe contract out of respect for what he's done.
Naysorn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,210

Re: Stein: DeMar to meet with Raptors at 12:01 a.m. in L.A. 

Post#202 » by Naysorn » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:23 am

Is there a show that's covering free agency?
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#203 » by Risk101 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:24 am

theSkinny wrote:The teams who hold back some cap for the start of the season, or even better the max cap teams next year are going to be the real winners.

The biggest idiots will be the ones dishing out the first contracts.. like the Lakers..

To be fair they tried waiting on LMA last year and ended up watching free agent after free agent get signed only to be told no thank you.

I think that team is fully aware that they aren't attractive right now and need to get anything at this point.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#204 » by Schad » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:26 am

theSkinny wrote:The teams who hold back some cap for the start of the season, or even better the max cap teams next year are going to be the real winners.

The biggest idiots will be the ones dishing out the first contracts.. like the Lakers..

And the teams able to back-fill their rotation with rookie scale players. In a market where borderline starters cost ~$17m a year, having a couple guys making less than $3m a season who can provide some good minutes is a massive advantage.

Take Poeltl. He might be kinda good. He might also be terrible! If he was a free agent this season, he'd be getting $15m a year, because he's big and makes faces and has limbs.
**** your asterisk.
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#205 » by nitrous » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:27 am

Man Masai is so secretive. Not even a peep about the meeting on the Vertical show tonight with Woj.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#206 » by theSkinny » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:28 am

Risk101 wrote:

To be fair they tried waiting on LMA last year and ended up watching free agent after free agent get signed only to be told no thank you.

I think that team is fully aware that they aren't attractive right now and need to get anything at this point.

I dunno... I mean regardless of what happened with LMA (do you really believe he would have signed there vs. the spurs..cause I dont)

Lakers are a mess, and will be a mess for the next few years... they should be holding their cap space till next season unless a big time FA is willing to come there. They need to rebuild and do it more organically, take this year off and try and find some opportunities.

Instead they threw a boatload of cash at a decent player... who is he going to attract?

I cant think of any FA's who are gonna say .." oh snap.. Timofey going there? man me too!"

Was anyone else beating down his door with a contract?.. and if they were... was it ANYWHERE close to this?
SwaggyB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,595

Post#207 » by SwaggyB » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:29 am

Schad wrote:Take Poeltl. He might be kinda good. He might also be terrible! If he was a free agent this season, he'd be getting $15m a year, because he's big and makes faces and has limbs.

Whaaaaaat!? Poeltl makes faces!? Was that in the scouting report? We got a steeeeeeal!
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#208 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:29 am

Schad wrote:

And the teams able to back-fill their rotation with rookie scale players. In a market where borderline starters cost ~$17m a year, having a couple guys making less than $3m a season who can provide some good minutes is a massive advantage.

Take Poeltl. He might be kinda good. He might also be terrible! If he was a free agent this season, he'd be getting $15m a year, because he's big and makes faces and has limbs.

Are there going to be upcoming changes to the rookie scale to account for all this extra money?
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#209 » by theSkinny » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:34 am

I do find it weird that rookie contracts are not making a big jump too...
If they were, I suppose a lot of rookies would hold off for a year in the hopes of getting a bigger contract out the gate.. which would also load up the first draft year.. which would mean 2nd round picks could be first round talent... which would mean...

I give up.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#210 » by Schad » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:34 am

bboyskinnylegs wrote:Are there going to be upcoming changes to the rookie scale to account for all this extra money?

Logic would suggest that there should be changes; oddly, rookie scale wasn't tied to the cap figure, but rather locked in ahead of time. Then again, it's hard to say; baseball has somehow managed to keep to a system where players are locked in to two or three seasons of $500,000 (and six seasons of being badly underpaid) even as payrolls have skyrocketed, such that the Rookie of the Year generally makes something like 2.5% of their free agent value. Unions in sports tend to represent the vets, particularly the mid-level guys.
**** your asterisk.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#211 » by Risk101 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:38 am

theSkinny wrote:
Risk101 wrote:

I dunno... I mean regardless of what happened with LMA (do you really believe he would have signed there vs. the spurs..cause I dont)

Lakers are a mess, and will be a mess for the next few years... they should be holding their cap space till next season unless a big time FA is willing to come there. They need to rebuild and do it more organically, take this year off and try and find some opportunities.

Instead they threw a boatload of cash at a decent player... who is he going to attract?

I cant think of any FA's who are gonna say .." oh snap.. Timofey going there? man me too!"

Was anyone else beating down his door with a contract?.. and if they were... was it ANYWHERE close to this?

I don't think they have much of a market right now. The allure of being a Laker seems gone and no real player wants to be apart of a re-building process that could take years.

The Lakers are beggars at the moment not choosers.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#212 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:38 am

BC would be going after DD lol

S/O to TZ!
LegendaryXD
Junior
And1: 300

Post#213 » by LegendaryXD » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:39 am

VinBaker6 wrote:BC would be going after DD lol

S&T

Sent from my sexy electronic device
VinBaker6
RealGM

Post#214 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:40 am

LegendaryXD wrote:

S&T

No reason for BC to agree

S/O to TZ!
LegendaryXD
Junior

Post#215 » by LegendaryXD » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:41 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
LegendaryXD wrote:

S&T

Demar will be like I want 5 years, BC will say deal if you can convince Masai to give me my homeboy Ross

VinBaker6
RealGM

Post#216 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:43 am

LegendaryXD wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
LegendaryXD wrote:S&T

Demar will be like I want 5 years, BC will say deal if you can convince Masai to give me my homeboy Ross

You can't S&T for the 5 years under the new CBA

S/O to TZ!
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#217 » by navyblue » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:43 am

LegendaryXD wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
LegendaryXD wrote:S&T

cant get 5 year in s&t only 4.
LegendaryXD
Junior

Post#218 » by LegendaryXD » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:43 am

VinBaker6 wrote:
LegendaryXD wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:

You can't S&T for the 5 years under the new CBA

Lol I'm playing around

LegendaryXD
Junior

Post#219 » by LegendaryXD » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:44 am

But seriously, doesn't that just eliminate S&T's?

BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,523

Post#220 » by BetterCallSaul » Fri Jul 1, 2016 5:44 am

ManBeast wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:Everyone else can offer something like 114/4 and raps 150+/5. So other teams are lined up after MU lays out a fair and reasonable 125/5. The difference between Bosh and Demar is Demar doesn't have to watch ESPN or be on it. Demar though should be asking: how you keepin Biz? Biz is the guy that works best with DD-KL.

125/5 is not reasonable at all.

If the most he can get from another team is 114/4, and he is a loyal as he says he is, then he should be offered 100/4...tops.

No 5 year deal at all, that is asking for trouble more than paying him 20 million per.

we get him for 20 per he is a really good trade piece, he walks he saves face by saying another team offered more, Massai saves face by saying that it is all we could afford.

You literally have no idea how the NBA works at all.
In fact, I legitimately think you're a fan of some sport on a planet that humans haven't discovered yet and you decided to attribute your knowledge of that sport into Earth NBA basketball.

Bro, bro bro bro bro

You have no idea what you're talking about

Return to Toronto Raptors