ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Bebe have a future here?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Re: Does Bebe have a future here? 

Post#21 » by Tortiglioni » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:16 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:I guess people still don't realize he is our backup centre next season.

What's Poeltl?

Benchwarmer/"escape goat" for Casey. He isn't getting non-garbage minutes.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#22 » by TheGoodDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:I guess people still don't realize he is our backup centre next season.

What's Poeltl?

Not to mention Sullinger played plenty of minutes as C in BOS.
mad-man
Rookie
And1: 727

Post#23 » by mad-man » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:18 pm

He should be JV's backup this year to see if he has any value. If he can produce, you package with him for Ross for a 3 or 4.
-Demar Derozan: "We haven't did nothing"
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#24 » by artsncrafts » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Tortiglioni wrote:

What's Poeltl?

Poetl is already better than Bebe though, sadly you are right Casey hates the youngins.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#25 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:23 pm

If you take a detailed look at our situation, you see it's going to be hard not to cut him loose next year, and there could be even be tough decisions to make on Bruno

Since acquiring Bebe and Bruno, we've drafted 4 more guys with only one really cracking rotation, and these guys haven't yet. Next season if we don't trade one or both picks and Clips make the playoffs, then we bring in two more young guys - that would put us at 8 players, with Carroll, Ross, JV, DD all under contract, and probably wanting to bring back Pat and Lowry that's 14 right there. If we are content to just use MLE again, and not add anything else, then I suppose they could keep him, but if he's not carved himself out a role with the Raptors, you have to ask yourself, what's the reason to keep him. I think since they invested more in Bruno and he's younger, they may not want to part with him, but if you max out your summer league appearance allotment, before you can carve out a role in the league, it may be tough to get a second deal. Especially if you're a team near the tax. Basically every other pick made has to meet or exceed projections in order for them to still get money for nothing, and not have our depth impacted.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#26 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:29 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:

What's Poeltl?

Not to mention Sullinger played plenty of minutes as C in BOS.

Yeah rewatch Sully presser, They see Sully as a 4/5 and a guy who addresses two needs. It was mentioned a few times. And while Bebe is longer, Peoltl is already a better player. And Casey's not stupid, or anti rook - he's anti suffering a decline in play for development, as evidence by Powell. Even JV, when JV started guarding pick and rolls better, he played more. I don't know why or how Casey is still questioned so much, People need to recognise the difference between fun memes and raptor board jokes and reality. I know he's not perfect, no one is except Pop, but I don't know how you could expect Casey to get more out of the players he's had than he did.
DellCurry4Life
Junior
And1: 211

Post#27 » by DellCurry4Life » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:31 pm

artsncrafts wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:What's Poeltl?

Poetl is already better than Bebe though, sadly you are right Casey hates the youngins.

Casey will definitely give Bebe first shot and the benefit of the doubt over Poeltl. That is how he handles rookies.

I doubt Poeltl comes in and is ready day 1. Very few big men are able to do that. The learning curve for big's is always steep and considering he doesn't have a dominating skill he probably won't provide Casey with a reason to play over Bebe (initially) as he gets adjusted to the speed of the game

I'm excited to see Bebe get his shot. If he sinks we haven't lost much as he was just a throw-in on the lou trade and has helped with Bruno acclimating to Canada. If he swims we have ourselves a very long and relatively smart ball player. He is a very good passer, an ok mid-range shooter with decent touch and he really impacts shooters releases on the defensive end which is a big benefit
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#28 » by ReggieSlater » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:35 pm

For a Center with as limited an offensive arsenal as he has, he needs to figure out his defensive assignments. He looked completely lost out there at times. He can cheat a bit with the athleticism, but only to a point. I don't see Casey trusting him as the full time backup.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#29 » by raptor jesus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:39 pm

artsncrafts wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:

Casey started JV from day 1. So if he thinks Poeltl is better, I expect to see him ahead of Bebe in the rotation. Even if Sullinger starts, he'll see some time at the 5 as well.
verysalt
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,155

Post#30 » by verysalt » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:52 pm

artsncrafts wrote:Bebe looks great in dleague and then garbage in the NBA. Although he only plays like 100min a year so its kind of unfair. If someone gave him a chance he could probably be a decent backup C on a fringe team.

He and Biz both had chances in playoffs. One excelled above anyone's dreams. Of course, I am not blaming BeBe for missed opportunity but it was his biggest chance in his career so far.
"Sabonis should sit on Myles' shoulders and they would count as one player" - Dax_Webster
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#31 » by MavCarter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Bebe will get a shot to be our backup C this year imo. If he doesn't do well it'll quickly become jakobs job
#Enjoytheride
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#32 » by dacrusha » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:57 pm

artsncrafts wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:

Except he gave Norm a ton of minutes later in the season when he proved he was worth trusting. Even played him the playoffs until Norm couldn't sustain his performance.

If Poetl shows up Bebe in training camp, you can be that Casey will give him minutes.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager

Post#33 » by TheGoodDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:59 pm

McGregFan wrote:Bebe will get a shot to be our backup C this year imo. If he doesn't do well it'll quickly become jakobs job

Is that pronounced yob?!
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#34 » by Throwback24 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:02 pm

dacrusha wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:

Except he gave Norm a ton of minutes later in the season when he proved he was worth trusting. Even played him the playoffs until Norm couldn't sustain his performance.

If Poetl shows up Bebe in training camp, you can be that Casey will give him minutes.

That's exactly how I see it playing out. Unless Bebe proves his worth in training camp it's Poeltls job to lose, I don't think Bebe is lined up as the back up center off the basis that he was on the team last year.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager

Post#35 » by TheGoodDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:41 pm

I'm sorry but Bebe just isn't that good.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#36 » by IMAN5 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 pm

The small samples of playing time he got in the regular season he didn't look bad. I remember the warriors game he came off the bench and gave us some good energy.

Everyone's so quick to write him off in favor of some unproven rookies? The same people who were so in love with Bebe's potential?

He's still young and on a rookie scale deal. Good length, reliable at the line, decent energy when given time to play. Not every player on the bench is gonna be a stud but when his number is called whether other guys are injured/foul trouble/struggling he's not a bad 3rd big man option.
instagram.com/510movement
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#37 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:43 pm

teamLeiweke wrote:He is gonna be our backup C this year.

I highly doubt it. I fully expect Jakob Poetl to back up JV with Sullinger in there in certain situations. I have seen more from Poetl in three games than all these years of Bebe. Too bad as Bebe is a pretty cool dude but I just do not see anything from the guy.

Ross-Bebe to Philly for a cheap contract and cap space. This may be more attractive once BC converts most of Hinkie's centres into vets. Bebe needs Philly and Philly probably needs to convert some of those Hinkie assets.
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Post#38 » by Tortiglioni » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 pm

dacrusha wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:
Tortiglioni wrote:

The only reason Norm got a real chance to play was because of injuries. Also, he was a 22-year-old, polished 4-year player. It pained Casey to play all-star-level Valanciunas and you think he will give a raw, 20-year-old Poeltl meaningful minutes?
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#39 » by LastNameEver » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 pm

He doesnt look bad at all. Being 7'1 and able to consistently catch the ball off a PnR will keep you in the NBA.
LJKO
RealGM
And1: 16,356

Post#40 » by LJKO » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Everyone talking about Poeltl as backup when I think Pascal the better backup PF/C lol

Return to Toronto Raptors