ImageImageImageImageImage

In Depth Breakdown of Jakob Poeltl with Summer League Highlights

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dekobedeharden
Sixth Man
And1: 2,290

Re: In Depth Breakdown of Jakob Poeltl with Summer League Highlights 

Post#81 » by dekobedeharden » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:28 am

Baiting / Backseat Moderating
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#82 » by Mikistan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:35 am

You mean like, he can be an average backup centre right now - in his rookie year.

Defense:
I think he could be, and if he is allowed to make some mistakes here and there I think it would help his development immensely. He can already contest bigger and smaller guys at the rim. He has shown ability to use his feet in held D situations and his length consistently lets him have - at least a chance - at recovering.

Man Defense in the post, sure, he needs to put on some lower body mass, and we will now see if the training staff learnt any new tricks on that regard. We've seen him get bodied and then lose his height edge because of it.

Rebounding:
At times yes, we didnt see him go after boards like we are used to seeing Biyombo and JV do it, but the fundamentals were there. More often then not I saw a Kid who would see a shot go up, and instantly look around and who to box out, and then get in position to make a play.

O-rebounding I found he didnt crash as hard - but thats probably a function of that not being his role. I did however see him be able to parlay his length and quick feet and ability to read missed bounces off the rim, to tap balls away to other people.

He had a lot of bogus foul calls go against him as well, which is something i think all Rookies and Raptors need to get used to. Remember, this guy was the man in Utah, he plays the game the right way and knows it, once he finds his confidence in the NBA he will be fine.

Offensively - he didn't get the ball much, but he didnt miss his first shot until like what, the 3rd game? That's pretty good.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#83 » by Mikistan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 am

Mikistan wrote:You mean like, he can be an average backup centre right now - in his rookie year.

Defense:
I think he could be, and if he is allowed to make some mistakes here and there I think it would help his development immensely. He can already contest bigger and smaller guys at the rim. He has shown ability to use his feet in held D situations and his length consistently lets him have - at least a chance - at recovering.

Man Defense in the post, sure, he needs to put on some lower body mass, and we will now see if the training staff learnt any new tricks on that regard. We've seen him get bodied and then lose his height edge because of it.

Rebounding:
At times yes, we didnt see him go after boards like we are used to seeing Biyombo and JV do it, but the fundamentals were there. More often then not I saw a Kid who would see a shot go up, and instantly look around and who to box out, and then get in position to make a play.

O-rebounding I found he didnt crash as hard - but thats probably a function of that not being his role. I did however see him be able to parlay his length and quick feet and ability to read missed bounces off the rim, to tap balls away to other people.

He had a lot of bogus foul calls go against him as well, which is something i think all Rookies and Raptors need to get used to. Remember, this guy was the man in Utah, he plays the game the right way and knows it, once he finds his confidence in the NBA he will be fine.

Offensively - he didn't get the ball much, but he didnt miss his first shot until like what, the 3rd game? That's pretty good.

His passing alone is something to gush over because of his length and height, he can see over people and has the smarts to use it - and him learning from Sullinger (who will do wonders for our starting lineup as a facilitator i think) will be great. I remember one play in specific where Poeltl had an up and under shovel pass from a post possession with a double team on him that the whole summer league gym 'wow'd' over.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#84 » by CoachJReturns » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 am

Why would you think Portland is a scrub? The number of collegiate big men who have produced at a level similar to he did in college is small and most of those are good players.
Statistically his closest comparables are Bogut and Kayman. A couple top 5 picks. Poeltl is not as strong as Bogus, but certainly looks mobile enough to have a it more versatility. We essentially drafted a top 5 player 9th overall because centers are undervalued at the moment. But a center who can shoot, pass, dribble, rebound(needs strength though), block shots and move quick enough laterally to challenge Guarda handling the ball should definitely be a very good player for us.
What's with the divide over these two? Poeltl won't be starter ready for a year or two and is agile enough to play beside Jonas at PF. Everyone needs to chill.
ManBeast
Junior
And1: 193

Post#85 » by ManBeast » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 am

RapsFor2nd wrote:What people fail to realize is JV has had the starting Job from Day 1. Sure, he is on a good team but he's got an opportunity from DAY 1.

This isn't a case of JV coming in and playing behind an All-star Center. He's been the guy from Day 1. Had 4 years to prove himself. Potential only lasts so long....

Imo If JV gets injured and Sully starts at Center for him. Sully will average more than 12 and 9.

what are your thoughts on Demar?
RapsFor2nd
Junior
And1: 165

Post#86 » by RapsFor2nd » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 am

ManBeast wrote:
RapsFor2nd wrote:What people fail to realize is JV has had the starting Job from Day 1. Sure, he is on a good team but he's got an opportunity from DAY 1.

This isn't a case of JV coming in and playing behind an All-star Center. He's been the guy from Day 1. Had 4 years to prove himself. Potential only lasts so long....

Imo If JV gets injured and Sully starts at Center for him. Sully will average more than 12 and 9.

above average rebounding and passing for his position
Plays really hard and is a good athlete
Not scared, durable and will attack the rim

Takes bad shots
can't shoot but thinks he can.
weak on defense

I hope he doesn't lose a step any time soon or the refs stop giving him calls bc his greatest quality is attacking the rim and getting fouled. As he gets older and his speed/quickness starts to decrease, if he doesn't improve his shooting drastically that max contract will look extremely bad.
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#87 » by Lucky26 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:29 am

RapsFor2nd wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
RapsFor2nd wrote:Too many members believe he [JV] will evolve and become this teams best player. It will never happen and if it does, we won't be in the playoffs.

quoting for when you eat crow

Please do! And not Advanced stats best player lol Actual prove it on the court night in night out that this is your team. If that guy is JV, yes we're in big trouble.

don't be silly
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
Smitch
Bench Warmer
And1: 168

Post#88 » by Smitch » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:00 am

no dice wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAqAo2li7FA[/youtube]

will be interesting to see if their chemistry can among anything in the rotation.

Watching this Video., Poetlt reminds me of Brad Miller offensively. He's smooth and crafty around the rim with solid footwork. I really hope this kid succeedes in NBA. He has such a likeable personality.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#89 » by Blood Orange » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 am

I like him but he's too raw and not ready to play the back up centre role. Our C rotation is something like this:

JV / Sullinger / Bebe / Poeltl
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#90 » by Mikistan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:46 am

RapsFor2nd wrote:
ManBeast wrote:

above average rebounding and passing for his position
Plays really hard and is a good athlete
Not scared, durable and will attack the rim

Takes bad shots
can't shoot but thinks he can.
weak on defense

I hope he doesn't lose a step any time soon or the refs stop giving him calls bc his greatest quality is attacking the rim and getting fouled. As he gets older and his speed/quickness starts to decrease, if he doesn't improve his shooting drastically that max contract will look extremely bad.

all good points -- how do you feel about Casey?
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,512

Post#91 » by S.W.A.N » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:32 am

RapsFor2nd wrote:
JLTV7 wrote:
RapsFor2nd wrote:
How is it obvious he can handle higher usage when he ended up getting injured?

You don't make sense. It was an accident. Him spraining his ankle in a freak accident does not mean he can't handle higher usage... :noway:

He still only averaged 26 minutes lol Stop acting like he can play more than that or Casey will ever play him more. Biz could guard multiple positions. JV can't! simple as that.

He plays when a big slow 7 footer is playing. Are you denying that JV can't guard stretch 4's?

Not many stretch 4's can guard JV. Choosing to play big is an option.

Small ball isn't the end all be all of basketball. Using your 7 footers properly can create mismatches. You are in denial if you think JV won't play 30mins a game this year
We the North
verysalt
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,155

Post#92 » by verysalt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:03 am

Lucky26 wrote:Great detailed breakdown from Cooper Smither of Poeltl and all facets of the game. After reading and watching the video of Poeltl display each skill a big man in the NBA game needs, you can see why this was a no brainer for Masai at the #9 pick.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/07/19/jakob-poeltl-scouting-report-video-breakdown/

The first Austrian born NBA player has made quite an impression through his first few games with the Toronto Raptors’ Summer League team. Jakob Poeltl has displayed a variety of skills during his stint in Las Vegas, particularly what he is capable of as the anchor to a defence, while also leaving plenty to the imagination, as he has found himself in a guard-dominated offence with plenty of experienced and aggressive talent surrounding him.

Defence

ICEing
This past season, the Raptors made a conscious decision to switch their defensive scheme when responding to pick and rolls that start at the sideline and aim to go towards the middle of the floor. Specifically, they adjusted from primarily hedging and recovering to what is commonly referred to as ICE defence. In theory, this should benefit large seven-footers such as Jonas Valanciunas and Poeltl.

Nice thread mate.
I really liked that http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/07/19/jakob-poeltl-scouting-report-video-breakdown/, it gives a constructive criticism to Poeltl and helped me to understand why he didn't have so many touches in Summer league.
Now I can understand Casey's plan regarding Poeltl - one step at the time, grind your defensive skill since we already have shooters. Your time will come, no need too much pressure at the moment.
"Sabonis should sit on Myles' shoulders and they would count as one player" - Dax_Webster
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#93 » by Lucky26 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:59 pm

verysalt wrote:
Lucky26 wrote:Great detailed breakdown from Cooper Smither of Poeltl and all facets of the game. After reading and watching the video of Poeltl display each skill a big man in the NBA game needs, you can see why this was a no brainer for Masai at the #9 pick.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/07/19/jakob-poeltl-scouting-report-video-breakdown/

The first Austrian born NBA player has made quite an impression through his first few games with the Toronto Raptors’ Summer League team. Jakob Poeltl has displayed a variety of skills during his stint in Las Vegas, particularly what he is capable of as the anchor to a defence, while also leaving plenty to the imagination, as he has found himself in a guard-dominated offence with plenty of experienced and aggressive talent surrounding him.

Defence

ICEing
This past season, the Raptors made a conscious decision to switch their defensive scheme when responding to pick and rolls that start at the sideline and aim to go towards the middle of the floor. Specifically, they adjusted from primarily hedging and recovering to what is commonly referred to as ICE defence. In theory, this should benefit large seven-footers such as Jonas Valanciunas and Poeltl.

Nice thread mate.
I really liked that http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/07/19/jakob-poeltl-scouting-report-video-breakdown/, it gives a constructive criticism to Poeltl and helped me to understand why he didn't have so many touches in Summer league.
Now I can understand Casey's plan regarding Poeltl - one step at the time, grind your defensive skill since we already have shooters. Your time will come, no need too much pressure at the moment.

Yes I thought the same after reading/watching all of it. Poeltl also said when asked what his role will be he said, "I haven't talked to Coach yet but I think i have to come in and do the hustle plays, dirty work, and defensive positions my first year and we can go from there"

Smart kid.

P.s. Didn't his coach or someone say that when he did the IQ test somewhere that he was the best registered since the test has been administered by a long shot?
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#94 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Lucky26 wrote:
verysalt wrote:

Nice thread mate.

Yes I thought the same after reading/watching all of it. Poeltl also said when asked what his role will be he said, "I haven't talked to Coach yet but I think i have to come in and do the hustle plays, dirty work, and defensive positions my first year and we can go from there"

Smart kid.

P.s. Didn't his coach or someone say that when he did the IQ test somewhere that he was the best registered since the test has been administered by a long shot?

I hope it's not the calipher test.
Read on Twitter
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#95 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Can't wait to see this guy in some D League action. Really curious if he'll get to show his versatility on offense.

Return to Toronto Raptors