Re: Chad Ford: Grading Eastern conference deals 

Post#21 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Sep 2, 2016 2:46 pm

Scase wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:
Scase wrote:I'm calling it now.

ITT :

Guys posting #clown
LOL CHAD FORD WUT DOES HE KNOW
People generally crapping on this post because someone didn't praise the raptors.

And you hyperbolize the other way being no different than the homer counterparts.

Except I didn't and you're assuming. Don't make an ass out of yourself.

"Calling it now" and mocking homers before any such posts are even made pretty much IS doing exactly that. But good job on the namecalling. It really supports your point that you aren't a troll.
Bucket! Bucket!
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#22 » by PoundTown » Fri Sep 2, 2016 2:50 pm

If Sullinger comes in and has a career year and/ or Siakam or Poeltl can come in and play to a level Norm did last year, Masai will once again be considered a genius. Unfortunately, Sully and draft picks are all we added, so from an improvement perspective we didn't do a whole lot on paper that shows we should be much better than last year and I don't see a problem with this analysis. In the eyes of the journalists everyone is adding pieces and shaking it up to get better (not all of these teams will actually get better, Indiana being one to definitely watch there), but I think the Raptors are in much too good of a position to be making moves for the sake of it.

We still have a lot of flexibility within our roster to make a midseason move, and I don't blame Masai for wanting to see what Norm and Ross competition looks like, a healthy DMC, Sully and the draft picks before making his move to see what we really need. Depending on how the season starts, guys like Cousins, Paul Milsap or Blake Griffin could come available.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,581

Post#23 » by dTox » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:10 pm

The grade is fair, the whole premise of this article is based on the addition / change of talent. Adding Sullinger isn't enough for anyone to be given anything more than a C
TBZ for the win
zippy
Veteran
And1: 4,130

Post#24 » by zippy » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:19 pm

Toronto Raptors: C+

The Raptors keep overperforming our projections each year, so it's with a bit of humility that I grade their offseason.

I lol'd.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,000

Post#25 » by NinjaBro » Fri Sep 2, 2016 3:59 pm

cammac wrote:The one thing people forget is that Masai extended both JV & Ross at bargain contracts.

JV was a bargain. The jury is still out on cointoss Ross.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#26 » by cammac » Fri Sep 2, 2016 4:23 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
cammac wrote:The one thing people forget is that Masai extended both JV & Ross at bargain contracts.

JV was a bargain. The jury is still out on cointoss Ross.

Just need to look at Crabbe got 17 million.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#27 » by Chevy Chase » Fri Sep 2, 2016 6:49 pm

right about sounds....

actually surprised he was so understanding of our need to resign DD. I wish more RealGMers would be as understanding.
BBallInSight
Sixth Man
And1: 1,337

Post#28 » by BBallInSight » Fri Sep 2, 2016 8:13 pm

Would Amir at 12 per be considered a bargain now? Seems wrong that we have had issues at power forward since he left and yet by today's standards he's paid fairly (particularly when you consider he's a starter). I think our management had grown tired of his ankles.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#29 » by Courtside » Fri Sep 2, 2016 8:20 pm

Chevy Chase wrote:actually surprised he was so understanding of our need to resign DD. I wish more RealGMers would be as understanding.

He said it had to be done, not that it was a smart move or good contract. Even the haters realize that it was a necessary evil to re-sign Demar - it doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#30 » by deeps6x » Fri Sep 2, 2016 11:28 pm

Jonn wrote::lol: Chad Ford

I can't help feeling the same way. Oh yeah, Anthony Bennett was a KEY loss for the Raptors and a KEY addition for Brooklyn. Laughing my A off.

As for Philly, he must have thought they only had 2 first round picks :) At least he is prepping them for the trading of Luwawu to us.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#31 » by djsunyc » Fri Sep 2, 2016 11:51 pm

we got to the ecf's last year. in terms of optics, a successful season would be getting back to the ecf's or getting to the nba finals purely based on last year's results.

we did not make enough moves for someone to say that we have a better roster. and it's quite easy to say we might have a worse roster b/c of losing biz.

so based on that, it's very easy for many folks to say we've had a mediocre to bad offseason...b/c it's all based on last year's results.

and in all honesty, we went to two game 7's in the first two rounds where if things broke a different way, we could've been eliminated early again.

that's why when bad teams add "names", they usually get high grades b/c of the potential for improvement...disregarding the fact that they are trying to improve from sh t which isn't that tough to do.
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 887

Post#32 » by Got Nuffin » Sat Sep 3, 2016 12:25 am

Can't really disagree with him. Poetl was a safe pick not a homerun pick. We didn't address our gaping hole at PF unless one of our guys has a breakout year. On paper, we didn't improve on last season's roster which is what he's grading on.

Basically if we are a 50+ win team that makes the ECF or thereabouts, that's what is expected. If we actually became a threat to take out the Cavs, that's what it would take for Ford to give us a high grade.

As a fan, of course you can see the other side. Maybe Powell becomes an Avery Bradley clone. Maybe the playoffs have woken the Jonas giant. Maybe our rookies are underrated. Maybe Sullinger gets serious about his ball. Who knows, but an outsider like Ford wouldn't take any of that into consideration.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#33 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 11:50 am

His mock draft was such a joke the week of the draft that he is not fit to grade anything except the Knicks and he can always give them the same B- for broken down trash LOL.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#34 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Sep 3, 2016 11:56 am

Pretty sure when all is said and done Minny will be thanking Boston for passing Colangelo style on Dunne. Ainge has picked more guards than Khan so when he got to a real bona ride blue chipper he passed and swung mightily for a high bust potential wing... The media love of Boston just doesn't make sense.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#35 » by Chevy Chase » Sat Sep 3, 2016 12:26 pm

Courtside wrote:
Chevy Chase wrote:actually surprised he was so understanding of our need to resign DD. I wish more RealGMers would be as understanding.

He said it had to be done, not that it was a smart move or good contract. Even the haters realize that it was a necessary evil to re-sign Demar - it doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.

exactly, that's why I used the work understanding and not happy. I still find many who do not realize the necessity of the signing, regardless of it not being the best use of the teams money,
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,746

Post#36 » by Jadoogar » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:44 pm

Shammgod_ wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Lmao whatever we have the worst grade in our division yet we are still the best team now and set up really nice for the future. The Nets had a better offseason? Really?

they replaced Thad Young with Luis Scola and Anthony Bennett, had Toronto been able to sign those two to strengthen our PF position, Lookout. #dreamoffseason2016

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

These grades are based on expectations. Should the Raptors be aiming for the same type of players as the Nets? Of course not. Nets also had a terrible starting point with no assets where as the Raptors got to add a #9 pick to the conference finalist team. Neither of these things were the result of this offseason so they can't really be factored.

Also, getting Lin at such a reasonable deal was a great move by Marks.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#37 » by TerryTate » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:01 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Shammgod_ wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Lmao whatever we have the worst grade in our division yet we are still the best team now and set up really nice for the future. The Nets had a better offseason? Really?

they replaced Thad Young with Luis Scola and Anthony Bennett, had Toronto been able to sign those two to strengthen our PF position, Lookout. #dreamoffseason2016

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

These grades are based on expectations. Should the Raptors be aiming for the same type of players as the Nets? Of course not. Nets also had a terrible starting point with no assets where as the Raptors got to add a #9 pick to the conference finalist team. Neither of these things were the result of this offseason so they can't really be factored.

Also, getting Lin at such a reasonable deal was a great move by Marks.

Lin at that cost was a bargain. Lin gets to stay with a team. He is the center-piece, working with coach experienced with his play style. Easy win/win for player and Team. Hopefully Lin helps nobodys look like somebodys, like he did with the Knicks and Atkinson coaching him. All the Nets can hope the guys they picked up TRob, Vasquez, Bennett, pan out (maybe look better around Lin) and turn into some assets for next season. Very likely Lopez will be gone the next offseason, so he's going to play for another contract (if he's not hurt). So they are hoping all these players play better than expected and so they get can some assets to build around.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#38 » by dacrusha » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:31 pm

How they get to these ratings is all pretty arbitrary anyway.

How is it that the Nets do very little to improve and get a B- because they were hamstrung by King's awful moves, but the Raptors get C- even though they were hamstrung by the cap.

Shouldn't the Celtics get a C because they failed pretty badly at getting a Tier 1 player in the fold?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#39 » by Bankai » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:40 pm

We didn't exactly make a splash in the off-season, so don't get the anger. It's true. Raptors are still likely to be the top team in the division. Raptors in some eyes may have taken a step back for the chance to take 2 steps forward. Let's see if that happens.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#40 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:55 pm

I fully expect him to edit this article should these grades not be reflected by the All-Star break.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.

Return to Toronto Raptors