ImageImageImageImageImage

Could Pascal Siakam Be The Next Tristan Thompson?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will He Contribute His First Year?

Yes
30%
No
41%
Depends On Casey
29%

Total votes: 80

Mr Gametime
Junior
And1: 117

Re: Could Pascal Siakam Be The Next Tristan Thompson? 

Post#21 » by Mr Gametime » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:00 pm

Siakam beat up Skal Labissiere in workouts which was a surprised considering Skals projected lottery status. So it shows he has some game but I think he'll be nothing more then an energy guy coming off the bench.
When the rich rob the poor it's called business, when the poor fight back it's called violence.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Re: RE: Re: Could Pascal Siakam Be The Next Tristan Thompson? 

Post#22 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:13 pm

Mr Gametime wrote:Siakam beat up Skal Labissiere in workouts which was a surprised considering Skals projected lottery status. So it shows he has some game but I think he'll be nothing more then an energy guy coming off the bench.

According to who?
Raptorstorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,029

Post#23 » by Raptorstorm » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:29 pm

I will have an opinion or two after 20 games..
"IN MASAI WE TRUST" 8-)
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#24 » by Jonn » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:32 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
Mr Gametime wrote:Siakam beat up Skal Labissiere in workouts which was a surprised considering Skals projected lottery status. So it shows he has some game but I think he'll be nothing more then an energy guy coming off the bench.

According to who?

Mutiple sources.

Ps. Poor Tristan. He could have atleast banged Kendall Jenner if he wanted to ruin his life so bad.
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#25 » by jonny three time » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:42 pm

Patman wrote:
jonny three time wrote:For Siakam to become a really valuable player he's either going to have to convert to being a center, or develop his offensive game hugely. Thompson is only a starter if he can play the 5, even then he can be abused by many 5s and is a low-end starter. That's the problem with being a PF who has a bangers game, there's no demand for that type of player anymore, especially in starting lineups.

If he can develop his offensive game in the mold of an Amir/David West/Taj Gibson type, then maybe he can have some value. If he somehow adds a 3 and can have an Ibaka type impact, then even better. It's a lot to expect though for a guy who basically has the offense of a banger center, while playing in the skilled/stretch era.

I really don't see Siakam as much of a banger. He's more of an energizer like a Kenneth Faried. Faried would be a solid fit in our starting line-up, and having KF and PP as our 4's would provide a nice contrast in styles. I see Siakam as kind of like a Faried/Amir hybrid (in terms of play style, not projected numbers).

You're kind of nitpicking on terminology. To me a banger, in today's game anyway, is any big man who does all his work inside. Someone who has no 3 pt shot and a limited arsenal from the mid-range/high post area. I could see how that encompasses too many types of players, but it's what I meant in that context. It's very rare for any team to have two inside big men on the floor at the same time, so usually it's the center. Even in Denvers case, how much success have they had playing Faried beside a traditional center the past few years? Back when they had success with him it was as much to do with the mile high advantage and Farieds insane combo of hustle and quickness.

Look at the depth chart for the league and look around at the PF position, which type of player primarily is filling those PF spots...

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

Look at who got paid this summer. Leuer 11 per year (4 years too), Teletovic 10 per, Dudley 10 per (to play very undersized), Tolliver 8 per

Look at the flip side of the role player PF coin. Jordan Hill 4, Hump 4, T-Rob unsigned, J. Thompson unsigned, Hansbrough unsigned. There's also a bunch of established guys who have converted their positions to be centers now, but were drafted as inside PFs...T. Thompson, Ed Davis, Zeller, Henson etc.

People need to recognize that the inside PF is starting to go extinct. So when you project Siakam it's obvious he either needs to develop his perimeter offense in a massive way, or at best he turns into a smaller Ed Davis or John Henson type, which isn't a bad player to have, but not some crazy upside like people are pretending.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#26 » by Throwback24 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 8:51 pm

lol I just want to see if he can stay healthy enough to be a rotational player. I have no expectations with him.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Post#27 » by KL78192020 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 9:15 pm

The next Quincy Acy.
vi3t
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#28 » by vi3t » Mon Sep 5, 2016 10:01 pm

lol the great derrick murray is in that workout video
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#29 » by slothrop8 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 11:32 pm

It's hard to have less info to go on than half of the first summer league game - when summer league guys are still getting into summer league rhythm - but in that one half of the first summer league game - Siakam looked great. Not expecting to see a many of rotation minutes for him with the Raptors this year - but interested to see how he does in preseason. I think his college rebounding success - even in a weak conference - and the obvious athleticism he flashed in the half of SL makes him an interesting prospect.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#30 » by MixxSRC » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:08 am

Let's see if he can stay in a league first lmao
Mr Gametime
Junior
And1: 117

Post#31 » by Mr Gametime » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:26 am

According to who?

I remember hearing it in an interview but I don't have a link, if anyone has it please post it.
When the rich rob the poor it's called business, when the poor fight back it's called violence.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#32 » by cram » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:28 am

Maybe the 905's Tristan Thompson.

Don't get your hopes up, folks.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#33 » by Par36 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:35 am

I want to believe but...not this year.

Too much competition for that 4th big spot. Man looks like a great talent, and if he developed a shot...watch out.

I really need to see a much bigger sample size with his summerleague being so damn short.

Raptors on a whole are talking alot of Gambles with young players using the 905, which they kinda have to since the team is topped out in salary with its current core.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#34 » by ballislife » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:29 am

I love his game... he's an excellent runner for his size and position, a huge energy guy. That will translate from day one.

I honestly think he could be the biggest surprise on our team this year if Casey trusts him a little bit and gives him minutes. He really does remind me more of Ibaka than Thompson, because he looks like he can develop a decent outside jumper and he can block some shots. Hopefully Casey gives him minutes.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#35 » by Clutch0z24 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:07 am

He will be better then Jakob Poeltl i think. Could have been a steal for us for sure idk about Thompson i think he has more offensive potential then him....But Thompson is an elite rebounder.
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#36 » by 7 Footer » Tue Sep 6, 2016 6:23 am

He will be the next Bebe
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#37 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:04 am

Mr Gametime wrote:

According to who?

I remember hearing it in an interview but I don't have a link, if anyone has it please post it.

He worked out in Buffalo but if I remember correctly, Skal and Poeltl had individual workouts and Pascal was part of a different group workout on the same day. Siakam must have impressed in that workout, but I don't believe he was in one with SKal or Poeltl. Unless there was a different one for another team that you are talking about. Also weird how they scout guys all year for as candidates for 9, but then when they are still there at 27, they don't move off their 27 guy.

Is there anyone else who thinks Masai has higher hopes for Siakam than Poeltl, even though he took Poeltl at 9 and Siakam at 27?
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#38 » by DrCoach » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:14 pm

jonny three time wrote:
Patman wrote:
jonny three time wrote:For Siakam to become a really valuable player he's either going to have to convert to being a center, or develop his offensive game hugely. Thompson is only a starter if he can play the 5, even then he can be abused by many 5s and is a low-end starter. That's the problem with being a PF who has a bangers game, there's no demand for that type of player anymore, especially in starting lineups.

If he can develop his offensive game in the mold of an Amir/David West/Taj Gibson type, then maybe he can have some value. If he somehow adds a 3 and can have an Ibaka type impact, then even better. It's a lot to expect though for a guy who basically has the offense of a banger center, while playing in the skilled/stretch era.

I really don't see Siakam as much of a banger. He's more of an energizer like a Kenneth Faried. Faried would be a solid fit in our starting line-up, and having KF and PP as our 4's would provide a nice contrast in styles. I see Siakam as kind of like a Faried/Amir hybrid (in terms of play style, not projected numbers).

You're kind of nitpicking on terminology. To me a banger, in today's game anyway, is any big man who does all his work inside. Someone who has no 3 pt shot and a limited arsenal from the mid-range/high post area. I could see how that encompasses too many types of players, but it's what I meant in that context. It's very rare for any team to have two inside big men on the floor at the same time, so usually it's the center. Even in Denvers case, how much success have they had playing Faried beside a traditional center the past few years? Back when they had success with him it was as much to do with the mile high advantage and Farieds insane combo of hustle and quickness.

Look at the depth chart for the league and look around at the PF position, which type of player primarily is filling those PF spots...

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nba.aspx

Look at who got paid this summer. Leuer 11 per year (4 years too), Teletovic 10 per, Dudley 10 per (to play very undersized), Tolliver 8 per

Look at the flip side of the role player PF coin. Jordan Hill 4, Hump 4, T-Rob unsigned, J. Thompson unsigned, Hansbrough unsigned. There's also a bunch of established guys who have converted their positions to be centers now, but were drafted as inside PFs...T. Thompson, Ed Davis, Zeller, Henson etc.

People need to recognize that the inside PF is starting to go extinct. So when you project Siakam it's obvious he either needs to develop his perimeter offense in a massive way, or at best he turns into a smaller Ed Davis or John Henson type, which isn't a bad player to have, but not some crazy upside like people are pretending.

Good observation , the stretch 4 was in high demand this offseason
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#39 » by DrCoach » Tue Sep 6, 2016 12:24 pm

Siakam avg 20/10 in college, he has potential. It will be interesting to see how Seniors Siakam and Brice Johnson fare, they put up very good numbers in college.

The guy from thank nicks Maurice and our also has a similar skillset

I'm having a hard time with a NBA Comparision, let me think about it
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#40 » by kalel123 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 1:57 pm

I see him somewhere between Bruno Caboclo and Delon Wright.

In other words, next to no impact and another failed project of Masai Ujiri on this team.

Return to Toronto Raptors