ImageImageImageImageImage

What Raptors’ Casey has learned from annual visits with Seahawks’ Carroll

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,566

What Raptors’ Casey has learned from annual visits with Seahawks’ Carroll 

Post#1 » by dTox » Thu Sep 8, 2016 4:47 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-casey-learned-annual-visits-seahawks-carroll/

In the weeks before NBA training camps open in late September, Dwane Casey goes to training camp himself. As he prepares for his 37th year on the hardwood, ball cap on, whistle at the ready, practice plan tucked into his waistband for handy reference, the Toronto Raptors head coach goes through his own routine to get his juices flowing.

It’s the culmination of an off-season Casey spent—as ever— trying to grow as a coach. He reads incessantly— Mindset by Carol Dweck; Shoe Dog by Phil Knight; Running with the Champ by Tim Shanahan; The Smart Take from the Strong by Pete Carril and The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey were on his reading list.

For the past five years or so as part of his preparation for his return to Toronto and another NBA season, Casey has visited with Carroll, soaking up the enthusiasm and example of one of the most upbeat coaches in all of sports as he prepares Seattle for the kick-off of the NFL season.

One of the telling moments after the club was eliminated by the Cleveland Cavaliers was listening to player after player attest to the selflessness and team-first commitment preached by Casey that pervaded in their locker room all season.

But Casey was espousing those values long before the Raptors were winning. His visits with Carroll and the Seahawks – one of the NFL’s most successful teams over the past six seasons – confirmed that his beliefs were worth fighting for.

“[Carroll] is all about building chemistry, culture a winning culture. You really can’t control behaviour or winning until you establish that winning culture and understanding what is expected of you to win,” said Casey. “You need relentless effort, playing hard is huge. It’s a huge part of what we do. I knew that, I understood that, but at the same time seeing another sport and seeing another successful coach preach that as part of a huge part of their core values reinforces what you’re doing as a coach.”
TBZ for the win
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,611

Re: What Raptors’ Casey has learned from annual visits with Seahawks’ Carroll 

Post#2 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:03 pm

That jet fuel can't melt steel beams?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Rejected
Veteran
And1: 2,741

Post#3 » by Rejected » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:11 pm

How not to use your big man down the stretch in key moments
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#4 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Sep 8, 2016 5:19 pm

It's game 7 of the NBA finals, it's last possession, the Raps are down by 1, Lowry has a clear layup but when he gets within 1 foot of the basket, he kicks it out to Val for the 3.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#5 » by omar36 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:03 pm

he learned its better to chuck way long distance balls then to give it to a great post player.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,925

Post#6 » by Potential » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:04 pm

In game 7 of the NBA Finals casey will tell derozan to intentionally miss the game tying free throw so we can get the offensive rebound tip-in for the win
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#7 » by Throwback24 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:13 pm

Colangelo was a pioneer in that respect, he always espoused the values of creating a winning culture.

Honestly, I thank Colangelo for drafting our core - trading for our franchise player - and giving Casey a chance. He helped build the contender we know today.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#8 » by lilswift01 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:31 pm

Throwback24 wrote:Colangelo was a pioneer in that respect, he always espoused the values of creating a winning culture.

Honestly, I thank Colangelo for drafting our core - trading for our franchise player - and giving Casey a chance. He helped build the contender we know today.

Well he inherited the number 1 pick, Bosh and significant cap space when he first got here. It could be argued that he left the franchise in a worse situation then when he first got it. Can't thank him for that.
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#9 » by UnRealGM » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:41 pm

should have run the ball.
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#10 » by 0 - 100 » Thu Sep 8, 2016 6:48 pm

UnRealGM wrote:should have run the ball.

not for the people who bet on New England and the over 8-)
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#11 » by jonny three time » Thu Sep 8, 2016 7:39 pm

Which plays to not call in goal line situations.
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#12 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:48 am

Throwback24 wrote:Colangelo was a pioneer in that respect, he always espoused the values of creating a winning culture.

This team was headed to the bottom of the lottery again under clownangelo. Masai dealt both Pasta Boy and Rudy Gay, something clownangelo would have never done.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:27 pm

I once thought along these same lines but I think Colangelo was a complete fraud in this respect. He will forever be the used car salesman in an expensive suit.

His father created the winning culture in Phoenix, not BC, and I fail to see any change that came to the Raptors organization under BC's 7 full years here. We still put losing teams on the floor every season and watched the best player leave as a free agent. I'd give significantly more credit to Tim Leiweke for changing the culture here.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#14 » by Mikistan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:45 pm

The_Hater wrote:

I once thought along these same lines but I think Colangelo was a complete fraud in this respect. He will forever be the used car salesman in an expensive suit.

His father created the winning culture in Phoenix, not BC, and I fail to see any change that came to the Raptors organization under BC's 7 full years here. We still put losing teams on the floor every season and watched the best player leave as a free agent. I'd give significantly more credit to Tim Leiweke for changing the culture here.

Leiweke is the king.
He was the hero we deserved to need to want to have.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#15 » by LLJ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Must resist a joke about Casey and rookies or Casey and big men here...

Seriously, as much as I rag on him and his occasional brainfarts, his ego, and stubborn mindsets, I can't argue with the overall results. Clearly he found a formula that gets the best out of a team with 2 late blooming all-stars, and I doubt many coaches could have done THAT much better.
blindchase
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#16 » by blindchase » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:48 pm

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:

This team was headed to the bottom of the lottery again under clownangelo. Masai dealt both Pasta Boy and Rudy Gay, something clownangelo would have never done.

I honestly wonder though if Masai tried to tank us during that time. It was around the same time we were allegedly dangling Lowry in front of Dolan for peanuts, and trading Gay (et al.) for Vasquez, old man Salmons, 2Pat and Chuckie could've been one of those moves that alleviated future cap space while bringing in a group of players that weren't anything special at the time and would get playing time by default. Those guys, however, just so happened to start producing and we went on a bit of a tear, and then out of nowhere we were back in the picture.

Return to Toronto Raptors