ImageImageImageImageImage

Pangos shines (?) in Europe

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RaptorHusky
Veteran
And1: 4,876

Pangos shines (?) in Europe 

Post#1 » by RaptorHusky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:35 pm

As long as he doesn't become Slovenian, it's still interesting to follow:

today, he was a hero carrying host team on his back. To be honest, Pangos was invisible day before when his team was killed by an underdog. He was Zags' overall 3-point record holder so I'd think that having him as 3+D guy would be nice in 2 yrs or so. 3 is in place now but D needs some time.
KarolisJ
Sophomore
And1: 84

Re: Pangos shines (?) in Europe 

Post#2 » by KarolisJ » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:12 pm

you've got to remember that there are some really weak teams in that league, and most games don't really matter that much..it will me much more interesting to see how he looks in Euroleague
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,780

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:22 pm

I had the game on, I was checking between that and my byzzerbeater.com match. He was really good, handled the ball mostly in the clutch, was main playmaker tho he shared time with Leo Westermann. He faced other Canadian Aaron Best, who was horiible (-9 EFF)
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#4 » by Mattd97 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 pm

He's missing 50% of the 3+d idea
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#5 » by Jonn » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Pangos will always be a bust.
40 Guzzle
Head Coach
And1: 528

Post#6 » by 40 Guzzle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:19 am

he could be a solid roleplayer in the league
Olde English 800 cause that's my brand / Take it in a bottle, 40, quart, or a can
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#7 » by BirdmanPresents » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Not surprised, his game is suited perfectly for international play.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 pm

His game is suited for any play IMO, the question is what is his ceiling, against what level of competition he can still play. He was good in Eurocup, we will see how he does in the Euroleague, Euroleague starts in 3 weeks I believe.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:03 pm

RaptorHusky wrote:As long as he doesn't become Slovenian, it's still interesting to follow:

today, he was a hero carrying host team on his back. To be honest, Pangos was invisible day before when his team was killed by an underdog. He was Zags' overall 3-point record holder so I'd think that having him as 3+D guy would be nice in 2 yrs or so. 3 is in place now but D needs some time.

As much as I love Pangos, it's difficult to call him a 3 and D when he can't guard a lamppost. His defense is the reason NBA teams don't even consider him and with short arms and slow feet I wouldn't ever expect that to change.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#10 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 am

one game sample size :0

I meant: BRING HIM HOME BC

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#11 » by bozothepope » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 am

Jonn wrote:Pangos will always be a bust.

How exactly is Pangos a bust? He was never supposed to be an NBA player. If you're looking for a bust, Myck Kabongo -- that's your man.

Pangos was one of the best Canadian NCAA players ever. Coach K gave him props after his last game. Enough said.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Next game is on 28th. If anyone is interested in Pangos, I can post how he does regularly, in Canadian thread or this one, since I follow his team pretty closely.
Est 1991
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#13 » by Est 1991 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:56 pm

RaptorHusky wrote:As long as he doesn't become Slovenian, it's still interesting to follow:

You know Kevin Pangos is 6'2 maybeeee 6'3 tops. He would have trouble staying in front of most PG's and SG's let alone swingmen and 3's.
Read on Twitter
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#14 » by UcanUwill » Fri Nov 4, 2016 7:02 pm

Its been a month since Euroleague opener. So far hes been.... trash. Terrible. 5 points per game (22 FG%), 1,9 assists, Player index rating of 1.6 per game...
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#15 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Nov 4, 2016 7:54 pm

He's more of a 3+Pylon type guy.
yassillio
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#16 » by yassillio » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:09 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Next game is on 28th. If anyone is interested in Pangos, I can post how he does regularly, in Canadian thread or this one, since I follow his team pretty closely.

You can and you will :nod:
Leo: I tell players all the time
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#17 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:16 pm

I said this in the Canada national team thread when some were excited that he did well in a mid level team in Spanish League and in the 2nd European level of EuroCup - that to my eye he appeared way too small and too lacking in athletic ability to do well in EuroLeague, but it was hard to know for sure considering his age and until he played at a higher level.

It's still early in his time in EuroLeague, but from what I have seen so far, even in one of the worst teams in EuroLeague (maybe even the worst) he can't produce at all. He has the exact problem I figured he would have so far, in that he's too small and too lacking in athletic ability to get his shot off and to get good open looks.

I have a feeling that he is going to end up just like Olivier Hanlan did last year in the same team, with losing playing time, or that he might even be cut and be replaced by another foreign player. Because he's just not producing anything at all for them.

Most NBA fans don't understand just how much harder the EuroLeague is than any other league in Europe, and a lot of that comes from Fran Fraschilla, nbadraft.net, draftexpress.com, ESPN, etc. with their endless nonsense about how the Spanish league is the best league in Europe, and how they equate any European league to the same thing as EuroLeague, or whatever. So a lot of that misconception comes from faulty things said by US sports media. But the fact is that it's a big leap from some mid level Spanish team, to even one of the worst EuroLeague teams.

The positive thing for Canada national team perspective is that it's yet another big leap in level, and in how good you have to be as a player, to make it in a top level EuroLeague team like Olympiacos, versus a bottom level one like Zalgiris (Pangos' team).

Khem Birch is doing quite well so far in Olympiacos. His man defense isn't good, because he's undersized and small, and his offense is very limited, basically can only dunk or hit layups. But his rebounding is really good, his energy and effort is really high, and his team defense and weak side help defense are amazing. So while Hanlan and Pangos don't appear to be good enough for EuroLeague, at least not right now anyway, Birch certainly is good enough.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#18 » by UcanUwill » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:23 pm

I like Birch a lot. his rebounding and shot blocking are at elite level, very good. I think he should have a place on Canadian NT, if TT bails out again, I wouldn't even consider it a big loss knowing Birch can take his place. His offensive rebounding and ability to produce garbage points I would say is similar to TT.
RaptorHusky
Veteran
And1: 4,876

Post#19 » by RaptorHusky » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:25 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:I said this in the Canada national team thread when some were excited that he did well in a mid level team in Spanish League and in the 2nd European level of EuroCup - that to my eye he appeared way too small and too lacking in athletic ability to do well in EuroLeague, but it was hard to know for sure considering his age and until he played at a higher level.

It's still early in his time in EuroLeague, but from what I have seen so far, even in one of the worst teams in EuroLeague (maybe even the worst) he can't produce at all. He has the exact problem I figured he would have so far, in that he's too small and too lacking in athletic ability to get his shot off and to get good open looks.

I have a feeling that he is going to end up just like Hanlan did last year in the same team, with losing playing time, or that he might even be cut and be replaced by another foreign player. Because he's just not producing anything at all for them.

Most NBA fans don't understand just how much harder the EuroLeague is than any other league in Europe, and a lot of that comes from Fran Frasachilla, nbadraft.net. draftexpress.com, ESPN, etc. with their endless nonsense about how Spanish league is the best league in Europe, and how they equate any European league to the same thing as EuroLeague or whatever. So a lot of that misconception comes from faulty things said by US sports media. But the fact is that it's a big leap from some mid level Spanish team, to even one of the worst EuroLeague teams.

The positive thing for Canada national perspective is that it's yet another huge leap in level, and in how good you have to be as a player, to make it in a top kevel EuroLeague team like Olympiacos, versus a bottom level one like Zalgiris (Pangos' team).

Khem Birch is doing quite well so far in Olympiacos. His man defense isn't good, because he's undersized and small, and his offense is very limited, basically can only dunk or hit layups. But his rebounding is really good, his energy and effort is really high, and his team defense and weak side help defense are amazing. So while Hanlan and Pangos don't appear to be good enough for EuroLeague, at least not now anyway, Birch certainly is good enough.

In the meantime, Pangos has quite disappeared even in Euroleague and is rather little visible in national league.

Sorry for starting this thread, I was hoping for much more from Kevin based on what I liked so much when he was a Zag... :ouch: :bowdown:
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 4, 2016 8:34 pm

I love Kevin Pangos but calling him a potential 3 and D when he clearly struggles at that end as an short armed, undersized and not especially quick PG is never going to happen. He might very well get a shot at the NBA some day. but that will be as a Jose Calderon type of PG.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Raptors