ImageImageImageImageImage

Wolstat: Raptors Expect Siakam To Start By Year 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

yassillio
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Re: Wolstat: Raptors Expect Siakam To Start By Year 2 

Post#21 » by yassillio » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:15 pm

It seems to me that people ( Media and RealGmers) are more excited by Siakam than our 9th pick, why is that ? Is it because Poeltl is a steady " low ceiling, low risk " type of guy ?
Leo: I tell players all the time
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,803

Post#22 » by Duffman100 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:17 pm

yassillio wrote:It seems to me that people ( Media and RealGmers) are more excited by Siakam than our 9th pick, why is that ? Is it because Poeltl is a steady " low ceiling, low risk " type of guy ?

I don't think it's LOW ceiling, maybe lower?

I also think because people underrate Poeltl. He's so unflashy that people are going to be surprised when he has a 9 point, 8 rebound, 3 assists, 2 block game on 4-5 shooting.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,225

Post#23 » by bozothepope » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Hmm, I don't know, how about we let him play in one NBA game first?
g.muresan
Junior
And1: 143

Post#24 » by g.muresan » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm

yassillio wrote:It seems to me that people ( Media and RealGmers) are more excited by Siakam than our 9th pick, why is that ? Is it because Poeltl is a steady " low ceiling, low risk " type of guy ?

It has to do with skin color and the organization's deep seeded racism.
---- 98-99 Beginning of a Dynasty ----
C - Willis 12/8
PF - Trent 16/8
SF - Carter 18/6
SG - Christie 15/4
PG - Billups 14/4
Bench: Wallace, Camby, Mcgrady, Brown, Williams
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#25 » by TerryTate » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:42 pm

bozothepope wrote:Hmm, I don't know, how about we let him play in one NBA game first?

These news reports are the kind that give those unreal expectations for these guys.
Might want to see them play at few preseason games
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#26 » by cammac » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:03 pm

I think Siakam was a steal in the draft and unlike Bruno is NBA ready even though he played for a 2nd tier NCAA team getting a 30+ PER is still a accomplishment. Obviously neither Patterson nor Sully are long term answers as starters so think comments plus a little extrapolation by Wolstat came to his conclusion. Siakam is a hustle player but unlike a player such as Faried he is defensively proficient and a slasher but has the capacity to develop a adequate jump shoot out to the 3PT range.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#27 » by Veggamattic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Wasp wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:"DC (as an aside" What does this mean?

Two related but separate points. DC is referring to the quote, "(as an aside: )" is Wolstat speaking himself on something he heard from a Raptors source.

Are we supposed to guess who DC is? What a ridiculous way to try and validate a quote. I have never heard the phrase "as an aside" before. I'm not even sure it's proper English.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#28 » by Veggamattic » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 pm

g.muresan wrote:

It has to do with skin color and the organization's deep seeded racism.

Interesting...I'd like to hear you elaborate on this because I'm not totally sure what you are getting at.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#29 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 pm

Peoltl was labled "least likely to bust"...so, kind of borring. We know what we have and what he is, he should be good. Btw Poeltl isn't low ceiling, both his partent are olympic athletes, so very good stock.

Siakam, who knows. He looked good for most of 1 game...loads of mystery.
Mr_NC
Analyst
And1: 5,342

Post#30 » by Mr_NC » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Gotta get as much as you can on Raptors media day
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,092

Post#31 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm

DG88 wrote:Loved him as a pick because he brings it on every possessions. Those guys succeed in this league. He still has lot's to add to his game but still he'll be a pro.

Had you even heard of him before at the time of the pick? We never got a chance to discuss this on draft night, but the expression on your face when you looked at your phone to see who the Raptors selected (when we had all been basically chanting Skal's name) will be etched in my memory forever.

But I agree, I (now) love the pick. It was annoying when Skal hit one or two outside shots that first SL game, but Pascal has what it takes to be the perfect complement to Jonas over the long term.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#32 » by DG88 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
DG88 wrote:Loved him as a pick because he brings it on every possessions. Those guys succeed in this league. He still has lot's to add to his game but still he'll be a pro.

Had you even heard of him before at the time of the pick? We never got a chance to discuss this on draft night, but the expression on your face when you looked at your phone to see who the Raptors selected (when we had all been basically chanting Skal's name) will be etched in my memory forever.

But I agree, I (now) love the pick. It was annoying when Skal hit one or two outside shots that first SL game, but Pascal has what it takes to be the perfect complement to Jonas over the long term.

Haha yes, well we all assumed that Skal was the pick because he did workout with us twice and he seemed like the logical pick. Was not expecting Siakam. When I finally took a look at this guy that night when I got home, I was waaaay more impressed with his ability than Skal, who only could shoot the basketball.

Agreed that Siakam will complement JV in the long run. His defensive energy helps and from what I saw he's developing a nice jumpshot. Just needs to refine it and extend his range.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#33 » by cram » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
cram wrote:I doubt this is true. Why would someone with the Raptors org say this to Wolstat. Seriously.

It's well within believability. Wolstat has a conversation about their future cap crunch and the fact that both 2Pat and Sully are UFAs, they respond that they're high on Siakam and think he could start by year 2. Why would he even bother making this up?

"Could start" and "expect to start" are 2 very different statements. There's absolutely no upside at all (and lots of downside) to stating the latter.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#34 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
Wasp wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:"DC (as an aside" What does this mean?

Two related but separate points. DC is referring to the quote, "(as an aside: )" is Wolstat speaking himself on something he heard from a Raptors source.

Are we supposed to guess who DC is? What a ridiculous way to try and validate a quote. I have never heard the phrase "as an aside" before. I'm not even sure it's proper English.

DC = Casey, not sure how that isn't obvious.

http://www.goenglish.com/Idioms/As+An+Aside.asp
0 - 100
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,449

Post#35 » by 0 - 100 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:42 pm

No idea why Casey would say this and put pressure on the guy.

Seems to me they are super happy with drafting him and have really liked what they've seen of him in unofficial practices.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,092

Post#36 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Today's media day interview with Pascal was the best yet. I love how he brushed aside the BB8 comparisons ("I can shoot"). He's got the demeanor of a keeper, not just some raw kid who's happy to be here.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Wolstat: Raptors Expect Siakam To Start By Year 2 

Post#37 » by Double Helix » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Masai found Faried. He knows what he was like at that age. I see plenty of similarities at obviously a fraction of the cost when looking at him against inferior talent so now it's a matter of seeing how that elite motor and that freak athleticism holds up against pros. These high motor freak athletes who are drafted for D and know defence, boards and the "little things" are what will get them minutes of them at the PF/C spots can carve out highly specialized, limited but important energy roles quick. Especially when they're a little bit older and more mature, which he seems to be.

I also see a bit of Clint Capella to him and that's another guy who has adapted pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#38 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 pm

Because people fall for athletic freaks with wingspan. Grind it out types just are not fashionable. I love what Stack said about having two bigs at 905. Play old fashioned dump it in and play an inside out game. But seriously I never heard anyone rave about Siakim like Bill Walton did about Jakob. Let's believe the "year two" hype once we see it. I fully expect Jakob to be the better prospect but am more than willing to be proven wrong.
dkb33
Starter
And1: 1,006

Post#39 » by dkb33 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:11 pm

0 - 100 wrote:Pascal will be the next Manimal

His energy and athleticism will be much needed on this team. He will get minutes this year imo.
We relied on Biz so much last year, don't see how we get away from that

The next Manimal at 27 would be sweet. It sounds like Pascal might be able shoot it a bit as well. I think that there should be some guarded optimism with Pascal though. If he sticks in the league as a energy big off the bench then he has justified his draft position. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#40 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:14 pm

cram wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
cram wrote:I doubt this is true. Why would someone with the Raptors org say this to Wolstat. Seriously.

It's well within believability. Wolstat has a conversation about their future cap crunch and the fact that both 2Pat and Sully are UFAs, they respond that they're high on Siakam and think he could start by year 2. Why would he even bother making this up?

"Could start" and "expect to start" are 2 very different statements. There's absolutely no upside at all (and lots of downside) to stating the latter.

Sure, there's downside, but it's still well within the realm of possibility that someone in an informal conversation spoke of this intended plan or outcome. This was mentioned as an aside, not as a lead story or anything. There's absolutely no reason for Wolstat to imagine this conversation and publish it. It's not absurd that someone told it to him, even if it wasn't the smartest thing to do.

Return to Toronto Raptors