ImageImageImageImageImage

SlamOnline Top 50: Lowry @ 21, Demar @ 24

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Re: SlamOnline Top 50: Lowry @ 21, Demar @ 24 

Post#21 » by Patman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:04 pm

protothe wrote:
Patman wrote:
TerryTate wrote:I totally get what you are saying, but "When he's healthy". 1.5 years ago I would say the exact same thing as you.
Being looking at RIGHT NOW, and these ranking are about RIGHT NOW, then Lowry should be higher.

If we're talking team building and potential, I'd probably taken AD, but we're talking about NBA current ranking. AD isn't up there due to his injuries.

Speaking of AD injuries, he just got injured again. Out 2 weeks for a sprained ankle.

I know...amazing timing just to back up my argument.... :oops:

Haha, I feel you man. I took AD 2nd overall last year in a money fantasy league. Did not work out lol.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#22 » by DrCoach » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 pm

DeRozan Top 25?

You don't say
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#23 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:40 am

Real Respectful. No need to #provem anymore!

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#24 » by TerryTate » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Patman wrote:
protothe wrote:
Patman wrote:
Speaking of AD injuries, he just got injured again. Out 2 weeks for a sprained ankle.

Haha, I feel you man. I took AD 2nd overall last year in a money fantasy league. Did not work out lol.

That's why now in my top 3 I pick durable and reliable picks.
I got burned by Marc Gasol (top3) 2 years back 2 back, both times lost me the league, because he was out almost half the year
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#25 » by Patman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm

TerryTate wrote:
Patman wrote:
protothe wrote:

That's why now in my top 3 I pick durable and reliable picks.
I got burned by Marc Gasol (top3) 2 years back 2 back, both times lost me the league, because he was out almost half the year

Definitely. Although two years ago, I drafted LeBron in the first round, and ALMOST had KD in the 2nd round (he had a major injury that year). That would have been a wrap lol.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#26 » by ash_k » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
ash_k wrote:no way Draymond Green is ahead of Towns, Butler, LMA, Kyle, DeMAR...23-DeAndre Jordan ahead of DeMar...anyways!

Why shouldn't DJ and Draymond be ahead of DeMar?

The most difficult thing to do in the NBA is to score consistently. the second most difficult thing to do is to score .

DJ cant score on the POST. As a defensive player, Super Athletic 7-footer, one would think he would have the same kind of impact as a Prime Dwight/D12. DJ never got close. he is overrated in my book.

Draymond's game greatly benefits from playing with the 2 snipers and G-State system; he is the perfect fit there.
He cannot consistently score one-on-one. If it wasn't for those wide open shots he gets while playing with those 2 snipers, I am not sure where he will be right now offensively. Sure he is a good all around player.

Substitute Draymond for DeMar on our team; and Raps barely make the playoffs if at all.

There is no way Draymond should be ahead of DeMar.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
KingTdot
Senior
And1: 306

Post#27 » by KingTdot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:26 pm

ash_k wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
ash_k wrote:no way Draymond Green is ahead of Towns, Butler, LMA, Kyle, DeMAR...23-DeAndre Jordan ahead of DeMar...anyways!

The most difficult to do in the NBA is to score consistently. the second most difficult thing to do is to score .

DJ cant score on the POST. As a defensive player, Super Athletic 7-footer, one would thing he would have the same kind of impact as a Prime Dwight/D12. DJ never got close. he is overrated in my book.

Draymond's game greatly benefits from playing with the 2 snipers and G-State system; he is the perfect fit there.
He cannot consistently score one-on-one. If it wasn't for those wide open shots he gets while playing with those 2 snipers, I am not sure where he will be right now offensively. Sure he is a good all around player.

Substitute Draymond for DeMar on our team; and Raps barely make the playoffs if at all.

You are probably one of the few raptors fans that actually know what they're talking about and don't just hate Demar for being our number 1 scorer.

Most of the comments on this post is just from pure hate.

Im sure a lot of these posters would put JV ahead of Demar if they could; heck they would all probably take him off the top 50 :lol: .

But sadly demar haters outnumber the demar fans and neutral fans by 9:1, so there really is no point into posting and debating with them anymore, at least for me.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#28 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 am

And now Wall and Melo ahead of Lowry? Brutal rankings.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#29 » by vaff87 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:52 am

Carmelo finds it disrespectful they have him at 15. Talk about delusions of grandeur. :lol:
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#30 » by Throwback24 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:39 pm

KingTdot wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:Why shouldn't DJ and Draymond be ahead of DeMar?

The most difficult to do in the NBA is to score consistently. the second most difficult thing to do is to score .

DJ cant score on the POST. As a defensive player, Super Athletic 7-footer, one would thing he would have the same kind of impact as a Prime Dwight/D12. DJ never got close. he is overrated in my book.

You are probably one of the few raptors fans that actually know what they're talking about and don't just hate Demar for being our number 1 scorer.

Im sure a lot of these posters would put JV ahead of Demar if they could; heck they would all probably take him off the top 50 :lol: .

But sadly demar haters outnumber the demar fans and neutral fans by 9:1, so there really is no point into posting and debating with them anymore, at least for me.

lol quite the hyperbole sir. Which would be harder, finding the next Draymond or DeMar? There are a LOT of young 2's that could potentially develop into a consistent 20 PPG scorer if they were given free reign to develop via unlimited shots. Quite a few on the Suns...

Draymond is the prototype of a new age big man and DJ unlike Val despite his FT woes does everything you want out of a modern day 5 as well.

lol and if you actually believe we'd be a fringe playoff team without DeMar and subbing Draygoon at the 4 I don't know what to say to you. Is Lowry going down? What am I missing?

Lowry - the franchise
Ross/Powell
Broken down Carroll/whoever
Draymond/Patman
Val/Whoever

If there's any slight to anyone it's the players listed ahead of Lowry. You can argue Draymond/DJ Demar either way. Pose that question on the GB and I promise you won't get the responses you expect.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#31 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Carmelo shouldn't even be top 20 and he's complaining about being 15
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#32 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:39 pm

ash_k wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:

The most difficult thing to do in the NBA is to score consistently. the second most difficult thing to do is to score .

DJ cant score on the POST. As a defensive player, Super Athletic 7-footer, one would think he would have the same kind of impact as a Prime Dwight/D12. DJ never got close. he is overrated in my book.

Why were the Raptors successful when DD missed time? Why have they always been successful when DD is on the bench?

Replace DD with Draymond and the Raptors are so much better.

Draymond
PP
Carroll
CoJo
Lowry

That's an incredible lineup.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,162

Post#33 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:52 pm

KingTdot wrote:You are probably one of the few raptors fans that actually know what they're talking about and don't just hate Demar for being our number 1 scorer.

This is a lot of hyperbole. Most of the people who aren't overly thrilled with Demar at least have the sense to compliment what he does bring to us while pointing out what his failings are, and have legitimate examples of other players who could replicate the offensive value Demar brings. It takes about 3 minutes on b-ref to find a massive slew of similar players over the preceding decades to examine how easy or difficult it would be to replace a player like him.

It is ALSO important to look at the difference between Demar in the 2014 and 2016 regular seasons compared to his playoff performances. In both of those years, he was actually a pretty good offensive player. A little stupid and slow to learn, but generally show us the things we wanted: more passing, a little bit of improvement in scoring efficiency, a little reduction in dumb-ass perimeter shots in exchange for drives and looks in and around the paint for improved consistency, etc.

Apart from not being a really efficient scorer at any time, the big issue is that he's a dumpster-fire in the playoffs who changes how he plays in the second halves of games to be a much less intelligent player who makes life harder for us as we try to win. In other words, he's a slower learner who doesn't adapt well on the fly, has bad second-half habits and performs poorly in the postseason. One might also say "he's not the second star we need to win a title, just a sometime-All-Star who's pretty good most of the time."

That's about as fair and accurate assessment of Demar as you're going to find. He helps us get to where we go, and he holds us back from going any further. We wouldn't be a 50-something win team without him if you just yanked him out of the roster, but it wouldn't be as hard as some thing to replace average efficiency on scoring at that volume from a backcourt player.

Bringing things back on point, we're talking about an article that's calling Demar a top 25 player in the league. Setting aside how crappy he's been in the playoffs, that's not an AWFUL ranking by any estimation. Look at the top 2 players on each team. Many of them will be quite a bit better than Demar. Several will be as good or worse. In the end, you're looking at 5 dozen players and basically saying, "does Demar deserve to be around or slightly above the mid-way mark of that group?"

That's not really an awful examination. Obviously, talent isn't evenly distributed around the league, so you could look at that a couple of different ways, but honestly, we use him as the #2 player on our team. If you look about at the real focal talent, and then the quality second options, he's not going to be so far down. He does have some skills. Yeah, he has flaws, but he's got value he adds to our team. I'd say 30 would be slightly more accurate, but in the neighborhood makes some sense.
ash_k
RealGM

Post#34 » by ash_k » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:Why shouldn't DJ and Draymond be ahead of DeMar?

Why were the Raptors successful when DD missed time? Why have they always been successful when DD is on the bench?

Draymond
PP
Carroll
CoJo
Lowry

incredible lineup? who anchors the D with that lineup? dont forget the Big Biz factor here with PP....and which Carroll are you referring to here 2014/2015 or 2015-2016? Cojo is a great bench player, that's it....

by the way, name players that can average 23.0ppg while shooting .500 FG% in 6 games of a Conference Finals against a FUTURE WORLD CHAMP while the future World Champ's entire D is set to stop him...or maybe you think Cojo can do that or Draymond?

even when he had Curry and Klay out there in the Western Conf Finals the man was shutdown at 11.3ppg and .354 FG%. at the highest level of competition.

Draymond fits G-State perfectly and has been surrounded by a great roster. A system player.

To create a shot, I will be much more confident giving the ball to Cojo than Draymond. If you feel the drift.

Noway Draymond should be ranked ahead of DeMar! noway. Draymond will never ever be the focal point of a team's offense, because he cannot be ! he doesnt have that game.
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#35 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:40 pm

ash_k wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
ash_k wrote:

Draymond
PP
Carroll
CoJo
Lowry

incredible lineup? who anchors the D with that lineup? dont forget the Big Biz factor here with PP....and which Carroll are you referring to here 2014/2015 or 2015-2016? Cojo is a great bench player, that's it....

by the way, name players that can average 23.0ppg while shooting .500 FG% in 6 games of a Conference Finals against a FUTURE WORLD CHAMP while the future World Champ's entire D is set to stop him...or maybe you think Cojo can do that or Draymond?

even when he had Curry and Klay out there in the Western Conf Finals the man was shutdown at 11.3ppg and .354 FG%. at the highest level of competition.

Draymond fits G-State perfectly and has been surrounded by a great roster. A system player.

To create a shot, I will be much more confident giving the ball to Cojo than Draymond. If you feel the drift.

Noway Draymond should be ranked ahead of DeMar! noway. Draymond will never ever be the focal point of a team's offense, because he cannot be ! he doesnt have that game.

Who anchors the D? How about Draymond...first-team All-Defense and 2nd in DPOY voting. Yeah, that guy.

DD was going up against JR smith for the majority of that series. Lebron shut him down whenever he was on him. What about the first 14 games of the playoffs? Name a guy who's taken that many shots and been so innefficient. Has it EVER happened? Probably not. It was historically bad.

What about game 7 in the finals when he put up 32/15/9 on 11/15 shooting?

Dude, this isn't a ranking of who's best as a focal point of an offense. It's a ranking of the best players in the NBA.
ash_k
RealGM

Post#36 » by ash_k » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Draymond
PP
Carroll
CoJo
Lowry

Who anchors the D? How about Draymond...first-team All-Defense and 2nd in DPOY voting. Yeah, that guy.

DD was going up against JR smith for the majority of that series. Lebron shut him down whenever he was on him. What about the first 14 games of the playoffs? Name a guy who's taken that many shots and been so innefficient. Has it EVER happened? Probably not. It was historically bad.

Dude, this isn't a ranking of who's best as a focal point of an offense. It's a ranking of the best players in the NBA.

you might be surprised to know Draymond doesnt anchor D..Bogut was G-State's D Anchor. He just doesnt have the length and size to do it. That's why he was overwhelmed by Kanter/Adams/Ibaka/KD.

As I have said the most difficult thing to do in the NBA is to score consistently in the NBA and the second most difficult is to score.

32/15/9 on 11/15 -- great looks with Klay and Curry around..during the 14-15 NBA Finals against Clev: 13.0ppg / .381 FG.
Just imagine if Draymond was the player which the Opposite D had to focus on!

Draymond is a 3rd tier player, DeMar is a 2nd Tier player! Paul George is a 1st Tier player!
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#37 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:10 pm

ash_k wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
ash_k wrote:incredible lineup? who anchors the D with that lineup? dont forget the Big Biz factor here with PP....and which Carroll are you referring to here 2014/2015 or 2015-2016? Cojo is a great bench player, that's it....

you might be surprised to know Draymond doesnt anchor D..Bogut was G-State's D Anchor. He just doesnt have the length and size to do it. That's why he was overwhelmed by Kanter/Adams/Ibaka/KD.

As I have said the most difficult thing to do in the NBA is to score consistently in the NBA and the second most difficult is to score.

32/15/9 on 11/15 -- great looks with Klay and Curry around..during the 14-15 NBA Finals against Clev: 13.0ppg / .381 FG.
Just imagine if Draymond was the player which the Opposite D had to focus on!

Draymond is a 3rd tier player, DeMar is a 2nd Tier player! Paul George is a 1st Tier player!

Anchor is a semantic thing. Draymond "anchored plenty" of lineups with Bogut on the bench, including the death lineup.

I guess Lou Williams is better than Draymond? What about Rudy Gay? Or Wiggins?

Let me repeat myself. What about the first 14 games of the playoffs? Has a player even shot that much and that poorly?

Return to Toronto Raptors