ImageImageImageImageImage

What happened to JV?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: What happened to JV? 

Post#21 » by Steelo Green » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:04 pm

dacrusha wrote:JV was absolutely dominant in the playoffs where his performance is of utmost importance.

No one gives a damn about his play during the olympics and no one should let a bunch of completely useless exhibition games change their expectations for him this season.

No. Irrelevant basketball that has never had much correlation with the regular season or playoffs is what we need to base JV on, not actual regular season and playoffs.

Time to bring back Kleiza it seems.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#22 » by Darknemo2000 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Sandman88 wrote:He has been horrid since the olympics, and it has carried over to preseason.I know he is currently injured but I think Noel would be the perfect centre for us. JV for Noel.

He has been Horrid during the Olympics as well. Have no idea what happened. He was great during playoffs.
Rappid
Junior
And1: 453

Post#23 » by Rappid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:27 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
TradeLowry wrote:
DUNPHY wrote:When Casey treats you like a scrub for 3 years or whatever its been you start to believe him.

I expected the excuses to come, I'm just curious how long they'll keep coming. Do you have any other examples of a Coach preventing a player from reaching his potential? I've never heard of this before except with JV.

I just find it funny how The Lithuanian coach is the same way with him. Is this just a coincidence that his two coaches don't like him?

I'm just curious as to why you believe this? Two professional coaches got it wrong but you have it right? I don't believe it has anything to do with Casey, he's started JV since Day 1.

I dont think Dunphy is entirely serious. Anyway, Lithuanian coach did used him as a main guy of the team at first, and JV was really good. Its when JV started struggling he started to look for other options and started criticizing JV. Casey on the other hand always uses JV as an afterthought, even when he plays very well.

All true. I think it’s also worth to note that the same Lithuanian coach said JV is likely going through a phase that young and very talented players go through, and expects him to be the face of the national team for years to come.
It’s a slump.. no doubt a bad one, but that’s the thing with JV. When he’s running on high gear (like the playoffs) his confidence increases three fold, when he starts crapping the bed it gets to his head waaay too much. A bad quality but it what it is..
TradeLowry
Junior
And1: 103

Post#24 » by TradeLowry » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Rappid wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
TradeLowry wrote:
I expected the excuses to come, I'm just curious how long they'll keep coming. Do you have any other examples of a Coach preventing a player from reaching his potential? I've never heard of this before except with JV.

I just find it funny how The Lithuanian coach is the same way with him. Is this just a coincidence that his two coaches don't like him?

I'm just curious as to why you believe this? Two professional coaches got it wrong but you have it right? I don't believe it has anything to do with Casey, he's started JV since Day 1.

I dont think Dunphy is entirely serious. Anyway, Lithuanian coach did used him as a main guy of the team at first, and JV was really good. Its when JV started struggling he started to look for other options and started criticizing JV. Casey on the other hand always uses JV as an afterthought, even when he plays very well.

All true. I think it’s also worth to note that the same Lithuanian coach said JV is likely going through a phase that young and very talented players go through, and expects him to be the face of the national team for years to come.
It’s a slump.. no doubt a bad one, but that’s the thing with JV. When he’s running on high gear (like the playoffs) his confidence increases three fold, when he starts crapping the bed it gets to his head waaay too much. A bad quality but it what it is..

horrible quality to have. Many great players will tell you talent will only take you so far, being mentally strong will take you to the top.

Look at VC and Kobe. Both have similar talents, Vince in his prime was probably a better athlete and shooter. But Vince will only be remember for an All-star weekend while Kobe will be remembered as one of the greatest of all time, 5 time champ.

Kobe one of the most mentally tough players of all time, Vince one of the weakest mentally.

It's a horrible quality to have and will always prevent him from becoming a star.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#25 » by hankscorpioLA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't recall JV ever looking great in the preseason. I also feel like it's not uncommon for big men in general to use the preseason. to work themselves up to "game shape" rather than focusing on performance.

Part of the problem with making assessments on preseason play is that it is often a time where players focus on working out new wrinkles and working on weaknesses.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#26 » by raptor jesus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:16 pm

One positive is that he's more confident shooting jumpers.
Rappid
Junior
And1: 453

Post#27 » by Rappid » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't recall JV ever looking great in the preseason. I also feel like it's not uncommon for big men in general to use the preseason. to work themselves up to "game shape" rather than focusing on performance.

Part of the problem with making assessments on preseason play is that it is often a time where players focus on working out new wrinkles and working on weaknesses.

Wasn’t JV summer league MVP a few years back? I surely remember that Rudy Gay tweet. Man.. Rudy Gay. This team has grow over the time :lol:
mesomorph
Junior
And1: 586

Post#28 » by mesomorph » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Imagine yourself im jv situation. You work hard, try to improve yourself as much as you can. You carry the team past two playoffs teams and your coach instead of giving you bigger role says your role will stay the same and that you need to start shooting three pointers because the main star on the team cant do that. To be honest, once i would sign a guaranteed contract with the team i wouldnt give a **** about performance.. why try to work if all your effort will never be recognized?
mesomorph
Junior
And1: 586

Post#29 » by mesomorph » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:49 pm

TradeLowry wrote:
DUNPHY wrote:When Casey treats you like a scrub for 3 years or whatever its been you start to believe him.

To be honest, lithuanian coach is like one of those old soviet war generals that treat everybody like they are complete ****, screaming at people without a reason etc. He is probably the ugliest coach in whole europe and i dont think any player trully respect him.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,951

Post#30 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 pm

That haircut is a pretty clear indication he's joined a cult in the off-season.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#31 » by RyderMike » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:06 pm

If he doesn't play as well, that means he doesn't have as much value, and Sacramento will think he sucks, and then he won't be traded for Demarcus Cousins, and thus will never have to play for the trainwreck that is the Sacramento Kings. JV is a genius.

Note: I'm joking since I know some people will take me at my word. I personally don't think a Cousins trade will ever happen, and I'm a big fan of JV, and hope he really takes another step forward this year.
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#32 » by slothrop8 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm

dacrusha wrote:JV was absolutely dominant in the playoffs where his performance is of utmost importance.

No one gives a damn about his play during the olympics and no one should let a bunch of completely useless exhibition games change their expectations for him this season.

I would normally completely agree - and you are almost certainly right. Still, I'm a big JV supporter - and he's been bad enough that I'm getting mildly worried. He was really terrible in the Olympics - the worst I've ever seen him - and he's been so/so in preseason at best. He hasn't looked good defensively and his offense has been shaky too. I expected coming out of the playoffs that he'd really asert himself with Lithuania and demand the ball - and that a big Olympics would carry over into him asserting himself offensively with the Raptors more this season. Instead he allowed Lithuania to ignore him offensively - and then was terrible when they did give him the ball - and he's an still an afterthought in our offense in camp and hasn't been particularly great when he does get the ball anyway.

None of that matters when the season actually starts, but I had this season pegged as a potential breakout year for JV and the early signs are not encouraging for that happening. Hopefully he looks totally different when the lights come on next week.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,752

Post#33 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Remember that dude that said Steven Adams would be better then JV? Well, this season that may come true!
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,705

Post#34 » by UcanUwill » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:25 pm

mesomorph wrote:To be honest, lithuanian coach is like one of those old soviet war generals that treat everybody like they are complete ****, screaming at people without a reason etc. He is probably the ugliest coach in whole europe and i dont think any player trully respect him.

I dont know, I would say Kazlauskas is one of the calmer coaches out there. And he is well respected I guarantee you that. He left anyway, Lithuania will have a new coach, and I am pretty sure it will be a downgrade.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#35 » by Clutch0z24 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I was hoping JV could Make himself that 3rd Star player that we really needed this year...I thought after the way he played in the playoffs he would look even more of a monster this year and dominate on a consistent basis....I thought this would be the year he went from 12 ppg to 16-18 ppg...

With that being said...For him to look more out of shape, Unmotivated, Lack Luster on both sides of the ball, And sometimes looking like he doesn't even care about whats going on in the game....It is very concerning and should tell us he may never be able to take that next step from a 12ppg to a 16,18,20ish kind of player...

Hate to say it but he hit his ceiling last year and no where to go but down from here.
BismackonLebron
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#36 » by BismackonLebron » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:29 pm

Getting worried because of preseason and a few Olympic games is silly. JV knows when to turn it up.and every year he's shown he capable of doing that in the playoffs when it matters. Until I see him choke in the playoffs I won't worry about-us. He's been our most consistent post season player the past 3 years.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,007

Post#37 » by Dirk » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Rappid wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't recall JV ever looking great in the preseason. I also feel like it's not uncommon for big men in general to use the preseason. to work themselves up to "game shape" rather than focusing on performance.

Wasn’t JV summer league MVP a few years back? I surely remember that Rudy Gay tweet. Man.. Rudy Gay. This team has grow over the time :lol:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

JV needs to start seeing a sports psychologist. He is too often soft and passive.
60/21/10
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#38 » by dacrusha » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 pm

TradeLowry wrote:
Rappid wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

horrible quality to have. Many great players will tell you talent will only take you so far, being mentally strong will take you to the top.

Look at VC and Kobe. Both have similar talents, Vince in his prime was probably a better athlete and shooter. But Vince will only be remember for an All-star weekend while Kobe will be remembered as one of the greatest of all time, 5 time champ.

Kobe one of the most mentally tough players of all time, Vince one of the weakest mentally.

It's a horrible quality to have and will always prevent him from becoming a star.

Not sure what the issue is.

If ones' litmus test for mental toughness is being playoff ready and dominating your adversaries in the post-season, then JV has passed with flying colors.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#39 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 pm

I argued like hell on this board when JV went down against the Heat in May that it could not have been a high ankle sprain. Guess what, it looks like it was. Depending on the severity, they take up to six months to heal. 40% of athletes suffer long-term ankle instability after a severe sprain.

It's only been 5 months since the sprain. But JV hasn't been the same since then. Any co-incidence that Masai used his first pick on a C?
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#40 » by carl_english » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:49 pm

This team is too reliant on a defensive anchor at C to be successful.

Return to Toronto Raptors