ImageImageImageImageImage

DeMar DeRozan ranked as 2nd Best SG in the League thus far (BleacherReport)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Re: DeRozan has a negative impact on the team. 

Post#141 » by Red_Claw » Fri Dec 2, 2016 10:34 pm

HolyMage110 wrote:So many derozan haters jeez. We wouldn't be where we are without dd, end of story.

Corey Maggette fans said that too... haha only kidding....kinda
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Post#142 » by KrazyP » Fri Dec 2, 2016 10:54 pm

Nogueira has a TS% of .700. He is the best offensive player on the team and should get more touches. Its too bad Derozan takes touches away from him....otherwise this team could be 15-3 instead of 12-6. For real.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Post#143 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:11 pm

KrazyP wrote:Nogueira has a TS% of .700. He is the best offensive player on the team and should get more touches. Its too bad Derozan takes touches away from him....otherwise this team could be 15-3 instead of 12-6. For real.

Nobody is saying that...
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#144 » by LLJ » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:14 pm

Yeah, but 538 was wrong about the Cubs and Hillary. So there's that
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,386

Post#145 » by Tha Cynic » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:22 pm

Ah, stats.

Derozan is inefficient and has a negative impact on this team, Lowry is fat 95% of the time and can't shoot, Ross has been pretty terrible for his entire career, and JV can't defend. How the heck are the Raptors winning?

The rest of the NBA must be terrible.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#146 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:22 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:lol another thread that comes down to 3+D being king and anything else is inefficient. Stack all the great 3+D players in the L and I still take DeMar over them. 7 game series, I take DeMar over batum 7days of the week. But w/e.

Who is saying that 3&D is king in this thread?
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#147 » by super_balls » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:31 pm

F*** Analytics #ProveEm
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#148 » by cruwinas » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:45 pm

DD is a negative impact on the Raptors since his first day of the rookie season. ~2 years ago I posted data from NBA.com where DD was ranked LAST in FG% among all NBA players. Dead last. He needs to pass the ball more, would benefit everybody, including DD himself.
:crazy:
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,044

Post#149 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:45 pm

Is it possible for someone to have a negative impact on a team and still be the best player in franchise history?

Something tells me them "advanced" stats aint so accurate after all.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#150 » by Kabookalu » Fri Dec 2, 2016 11:53 pm

I said this in the other thread. Statistically the Heat were a superior team when they had LeBron surrounded by 4 shooters, as opposed to units featuring Wade and LeBron. This led to some weird trade proposals where people thought Miami should trade Wade for a bunch of 3+D players. The thing is, the Heat had the luxury of throwing all sorts of different looks against teams. It's one thing to game plan against LeBron James with a court full of shooters, it's another to game plan against LeBron AND Wade. Just because LeBron and 4 shooters is a more effective unit, doesn't mean you can just NOT defend against Wade, that's silly.

In 2014-15 when DeMar went down, Lowry ended up playing SG, and did a MUCH better job than DeRozan at playing the role, and we didn't skip a beat despite his absence. However, we saw what happened later down the line, Lowry's body gave out. No matter what you think of him, DeRozan has value to this team, even if it's just to help converse Lowry's energy. The only thing you can hope for is that DeRozan starts finally playing better, and fortunately that's been happening in spades this season.
Read on Twitter
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,523

Post#151 » by BetterCallSaul » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:02 am

The_Hater wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
The alternate option to not re-signing Demar was to sign nobody. Reality of a salary cap world.

There were both basketball and non-basketball reasons that made re-signing DD very important to MU and the franchise.

Even if you replace him with Batum which everyone loves to fawn over we wouldn't be nearly as good.

That's debateable. The team would have different strengths and weaknesses for sure but I don't think your conclusion is an absolute fact.

That's where I think it's not debateable. I would love to add Batum to what we currently have, but replace DeMar with him?
Dagger already pointed out his mediocre stats. Even last year in his comeback year he was good. He still disappears too often and isn't that good of a shooter for a floor spacer.

If you watched an entire season of Batum the way we watch DeMar, you would start seeing a lot of things that would piss you off and make you want to deal him as well. I love Batum, but people get seriously starry eyed over the dude as if he is a poor man's Giannis.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,523

Post#152 » by BetterCallSaul » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:04 am

cruwinas wrote:DD is a negative impact on the Raptors since his first day of the rookie season. ~2 years ago I posted data from NBA.com where DD was ranked LAST in FG% among all NBA players. Dead last. He needs to pass the ball more, would benefit everybody, including DD himself.

Holy **** bro! Can you dig that thread up?! We may have to all change our tune here. Someone get Masai on the line!
kasrahimi
Senior
And1: 713

Post#153 » by kasrahimi » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:06 am

sharmaraps wrote:What the hell is this lol...dude the only thing that matters in any sport is WINNING. Raptors are winning right now. You take DD away and no way they are as good as they are now. That's such a stupid article. 538 Sports can choke on a rob babcock

People are nuts. This is the best team in our history. We went to the ECF. We're following that up with a solid start to the season. And people are still looking to nitpick....people like that can't be real die hard day 1 fans

Anyone criticizing this team hasn't been watching the Raptors long enough.

Enjoy the ride.
Lurking since '05
kasrahimi
Senior
And1: 713

Post#154 » by kasrahimi » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:10 am

dagger wrote:And yet we're 12-6 and to listen to some, it's almost impossible to figure out why. We should really be worse than Brooklyn if some sites are to be believed. In fact a good D-League team like Fort Wayne ought to lay a good whupping on the Raps.

Anyone who wastes their time posting this kind of negative crap hasn't been a fan for long. Or isn't a real fan.

We're enjoying the best years in franchise history.

Why are people complaining? Seriously.
Lurking since '05
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#155 » by cruwinas » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:14 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:
cruwinas wrote:DD is a negative impact on the Raptors since his first day of the rookie season. ~2 years ago I posted data from NBA.com where DD was ranked LAST in FG% among all NBA players. Dead last. He needs to pass the ball more, would benefit everybody, including DD himself.

Holy **** bro! Can you dig that thread up?! We may have to all change our tune here. Someone get Masai on the line!

I need to sift through my posts, will take time.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#156 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:26 am

kasrahimi wrote:
dagger wrote:And yet we're 12-6 and to listen to some, it's almost impossible to figure out why. We should really be worse than Brooklyn if some sites are to be believed. In fact a good D-League team like Fort Wayne ought to lay a good whupping on the Raps.

Anyone who wastes their time posting this kind of negative crap hasn't been a fan for long. Or isn't a real fan.

We're enjoying the best years in franchise history.

Why are people complaining? Seriously.

Because the only thing that matters is if Jonas gets touches.

Read on Twitter
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#157 » by sule » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:30 am

12-6 after losing 4 of 5 in the road-trip-from-hell. Despite all the naysayers, this team is playing pretty damned well. Our record places us right behind the Spurs, Warriors, and Clippers in the West and are currently 1.5 games up on the 3rd place Bulls in the East, and 1.5 games back of the champion Cavs.

People need to relax with all the negativity. Sure, our defense could stand to improve considering we went 9 straight games giving up 100+ points, but even then, during that stretch, we went 5-4. Half our games have been against the western conference, with 5 of those games on the road.

Cavs, by comparison, have played 4 games against the west and are yet to play any west games on the road (their first game against the west on the road will be on December 14th, then not again until Jan. 8th).

Our schedule hasn't been kind, but we've been resilient.
cruwinas
Assistant Coach

Post#158 » by cruwinas » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:32 am

BetterCallSaul wrote:

The thread was this one:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1376731&hilit=dd+shooting+FG%25#start_here

It's just filtering system is messed up. i posted data that was up to that day in season. I'll try to look in to my psts on other forums, maybe I'll dig out exact numbers.

DD is a good bball player. I just don't like Casey's offensive iso chucking "system".
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#159 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:36 am

cruwinas wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:

The thread was this one:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1376731&hilit=dd+shooting+FG%25#start_here

It's just filtering system is messed up. i posted data that was up to that day in season. I'll try to look in to my psts on other forums, maybe I'll dig out exact numbers.

DD is a good bball player. I just don't like Casey's offensive iso chucking "system".

Stop wasting your time with FG%. It's completely useless as a statistic.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#160 » by sule » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:40 am

If you're referring to the 2014-15 season, he was 305th. Ahead of Lowry, Terrence Ross, Greivis Vasquez, and Lou Williams in the rankings. A noticeably bad shooting year for our backcourt. The team as a whole was ranked 12th in the league.

Considering there are 450 players in the NBA at any given time, he was not "dead last"

Return to Toronto Raptors