ImageImageImageImageImage

How bad is JV on defense?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

iktuz
Senior
And1: 416

Re: How bad is JV on defense? 

Post#101 » by iktuz » Sun Dec 4, 2016 8:53 am

Patman wrote:
DonMega wrote:JV has been absolutely terrible lately. I think the Lithuanian coach was right when he said JV regressed. Which sucks because I always liked JV a lot and every year he has been getting better. Don't know what happened to him but I see flashes of Euro laziness that bargnani also had. This year JV can't run, jump at all. His defense completely regressed and he barely gets any rebounds.

JV's athletic ceiling is not very high, but his movement has been noticeably slower after he got hurt a few games ago.

Well he always game back noticeably a bit quicker after every injury (when he spends some time away from playing). I really wish he would take this summer off and work on improving his athletism/speed. This upcoming summer Euro Cup won't mean anything, so this would be the perfect time for him to not go there and actually work the whole summer. I guarantee you would definitely see the difference.
tdot56
Analyst
And1: 3,080

Post#102 » by tdot56 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 11:05 am

Trade while there is value....
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,158

Post#103 » by mademan » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:16 pm

The NBA game is just getting away from him. Bigs are supposed to protect the rim, rebound, be mobile and (ideally) spread the floor. Pretty sure it's why Masai has been on the phones looking at Noel; I dont think he believes JV is the starting C of a championship team
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,611

Post#104 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Dec 4, 2016 2:52 pm

Kevistics wrote:Jv needs to stop pump faking 5 yrs into the league, it's a shame. Its a shame because I reallt feel for some of our players who would get playing time if they werent the 3rd stringer off the bench. Delon wright comes to mind. Jonas is babied by us fans cus we have high expectations for our players. Jv Is more incomsistent than ross atm when it comes to defence. He really needs to get it together because he can be the difference maker for us to win a championship.

Delon Wrigh is injured. Perhaps that's a good enough reason that he is sitting.

And god no. No no no. JV is not more consistent than Ross at all, not even close, unless you mean JV is consistently bad. Ross is a very good defender. But this is a discussion about JV what does a Ross comparison have to do with anything?
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#105 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:05 pm

I obviously believe JV has the potential to be a very significant player in this league and that his offensive impact and leadership would greatly outweigh his defensive shortcomings if we just invested in them, but yeah he is playing lousy right now. could be an injury. could be he's just depressed. could be something else entirely. But my personal opinion is that since we clearly have no intention of taking advantage of his best attributes, and since the young bigs we do have seem to be entirely able to deliver what Casey needs from our Centre position, then I think we should trade Jonas. I am sure that we can get a quality starter for him, either a veteran or maybe a promising young player, which is what he is, but maybe at PF. Or we package him with one or two of those young guys and trade him for an all-star. I think it's do-able. In the end I think we will regret losing JV but only because he will flourish on a team that wants him to play a bigger role and we will wonder why he couldn't be that good with us, but given the overall situation I say trade him.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,930

Post#106 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:07 pm

mademan wrote:The NBA game is just getting away from him. Bigs are supposed to protect the rim, rebound, be mobile and (ideally) spread the floor. Pretty sure it's why Masai has been on the phones looking at Noel; I dont think he believes JV is the starting C of a championship team

There aren't very many that can do all those things. There's maybe a couple of superstars and then everyone else has a collection of things they're good at and things they're bad at.

Frankly, the league moved away from small point guards a long time ago, too, but we have 5"11 Kyle Lowry dominating. The league moved away from the long 2, and we have DeRozan. The league is run by special players. We're a hall of fame player away from a championship, not a specific kind of C. If Masai really thought that he would have traded JV this summer and re-signed Biyombo.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,687

Post#107 » by Duffman100 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:13 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I obviously believe JV has the potential to be a very significant player in this league and that his offensive impact and leadership would greatly outweigh his defensive shortcomings if we just invested in them, but yeah he is playing lousy right now. could be an injury. could be he's just depressed.

I'm wondering if he knows he's being shopped. He's sort of playing like a player who knows he won't be on the team in a month or two.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#108 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:17 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:I obviously believe JV has the potential to be a very significant player in this league and that his offensive impact and leadership would greatly outweigh his defensive shortcomings if we just invested in them, but yeah he is playing lousy right now. could be an injury. could be he's just depressed. could be something else entirely. But my personal opinion is that since we clearly have no intention of taking advantage of his best attributes, and since the young bigs we do have seem to be entirely able to deliver what Casey needs from our Centre position, then I think we should trade Jonas. I am sure that we can get a quality starter for him, either a veteran or maybe a promising young player, which is what he is, but maybe at PF. Or we package him with one or two of those young guys and trade him for an all-star. I think it's do-able. In the end I think we will regret losing JV but only because he will flourish on a team that wants him to play a bigger role and we will wonder why he couldn't be that good with us, but given the overall situation I say trade him.

But he's not dominant on the offensive end. If he was dominant, he could stay in. His offense is simply good, but it is not making up for his defense, especially when he's surrounded by scorers.

I don't see what leadership you're talking about. He's not out there doing it by example By hustling harder or he's not working harder than anyone improve. I don't see anything jumping out at me in that regard.

Depressed is just another excuse. The list grows so long now.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#109 » by Kabookalu » Sun Dec 4, 2016 3:22 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:I obviously believe JV has the potential to be a very significant player in this league and that his offensive impact and leadership would greatly outweigh his defensive shortcomings if we just invested in them, but yeah he is playing lousy right now. could be an injury. could be he's just depressed.

I'm wondering if he knows he's being shopped. He's sort of playing like a player who knows he won't be on the team in a month or two.

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing that would indicate this. I see the same Jonas that we've always known. The guy looks like the total team player who's happy setting screens for his teammates and grinding it out in the post.

A good indicator is to see how he reacts when he's wide open and doesn't get the ball. Every time this happens and the shot goes in, the man goes back running on the other side of the court to play defense. He doesn't pout, he never hangs his head. I remember the days of Andrew Bynum, we're talking about a man who only cared about getting touches. If he didn't get the ball he would walk back to defense, he'd throw his arms in the air, he'd visibly look frustrated. Jonas doesn't do that at all, and quite frankly no one on our team does. People kept purporting that DeRozan was an incredibly selfish and egotistical person. Yet when he was benched in a critical game in the 4th quarter of the playoffs, he was standing up cheering for his team.

I think it's just injury. I've seen him play great defense in spurts, but then slows down in other moments, and unfortunately at this level of basketball one moment of vulnerability is all that's needed for you to get scored on. He's trying out there from what I can tell.
Read on Twitter
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#110 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:46 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
But he's not dominant on the offensive end. If he was dominant, he could stay in. His offense is simply good, but it is not making up for his defense, especially when he's surrounded by scorers.

I don't see what leadership you're talking about. He's not out there doing it by example By hustling harder or he's not working harder than anyone improve. I don't see anything jumping out at me in that regard.

Fine, he's a crappy rebounder who just happens to be in the top 10 in the league at rebounding % every year, a crappy offensive player who just happens to be in the top 10 in the league in FG% every year, and a crappy leader who had a 27 PER in the playoffs last year. we totally agree.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,154

Post#111 » by djsunyc » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:52 pm

mademan wrote:The NBA game is just getting away from him. Bigs are supposed to protect the rim, rebound, be mobile and (ideally) spread the floor. Pretty sure it's why Masai has been on the phones looking at Noel; I dont think he believes JV is the starting C of a championship team

just how short are people's memory? he was singlehandedly the reason we didn't lose to indy in the first round and he was dominating miami like prime shaq until he got hurt. he literally saved casey's job and the PR backlash on lowry + dd.

playoffs are a different animal. he has proven that he not only can play in the post season, that he can dominate.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#112 » by RaptorNews » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:55 pm

djsunyc wrote:

just how short are people's memory? he was singlehandedly the reason we didn't lose to indy in the first round and he was dominating miami like prime shaq until he got hurt. he literally saved casey's job and the PR backlash on lowry + dd.

playoffs are a different animal. he has proven that he not only can play in the post season, that he can dominate.

Seriously

Hes had a couple of bad weeks. We need to chill
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,158

Post#113 » by mademan » Sun Dec 4, 2016 5:58 pm

djsunyc wrote:

He played well against Indy, but he was outplayed by his backup over the next 2 series, albeit he was maimed in the Miami series. He's been outplayed by his backup, who was in the dleague last year, over the last 6-7 games. We have consistently been as good or better with him off the floor. Slow bigs who dont spread the floor nor defend the rim arent valuable in todays NBA
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#114 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:07 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Fine, he's a crappy rebounder who just happens to be in the top 10 in the league at rebounding % every year, a crappy offensive player who just happens to be in the top 10 in the league in FG% every year, and a crappy leader who had a 27 PER in the playoffs last year. we totally agree.

Straw man arguements. I said nothing about rebounding, or that he was a bad offensive player, and PER doesn't define leadership.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#115 » by Steelo Green » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:07 pm

mademan wrote:
djsunyc wrote:

He played well against Indy, but he was outplayed by his backup over the next 2 series, albeit he was maimed in the Miami series. He's been outplayed by his backup, who was in the dleague last year, over the last 6-7 games. We have consistently been as good or better with him off the floor. Slow bigs who dont spread the floor nor defend the rim arent valuable in todays NBA

So he was injured and you recognize it, and then say it doesn't matter?

He was playing extremely well against Miami before he got hurt. He had 15/12 in game one shooting 7/9 and game two before he went down in 22 mins had 16/12.

Just because Biyombo played well, didn't mean JV played poorly.

So much revisionist history.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,154

Post#116 » by djsunyc » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:15 pm

and in game 2, it was his offensive boards down the stretch that won that game. biz also benefitted from not playing against whiteside.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Re: RE: Re: How bad is JV on defense? 

Post#117 » by Hero » Sun Dec 4, 2016 6:50 pm

Agreed. If JV had high bballiq and was able to create for others he might have a little more staying power.

If you look at him play though, on offense he is so slow and it seems like he doesn't have much feel for the game. Add that to his defensive issues and it really isn't a good longterm plan for starting.
E-TRAK
Sixth Man
And1: 552

Post#118 » by E-TRAK » Sun Dec 4, 2016 7:51 pm

slow footed like hell.

where's the Casey quote when we drafted him.. "the worst we are getting is a high motor Joakim Noah player"
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#119 » by Throwback24 » Sun Dec 4, 2016 8:02 pm

E-TRAK wrote:slow footed like hell.

where's the Casey quote when we drafted him.. "the worst we are getting is a high motor Joakim Noah player"

I'm not even sure Noah is a good 2nd string big... lol the NBA changes fast. Ask Hibbert and noah
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#120 » by Arman_tanzarian » Sun Dec 4, 2016 8:42 pm

My god he looks terrible this year. His mid range jumper is the only thing that has somewhat improved. He can also score pretty easily when we dump it into him but my god seems like Calderon out there protecting the paint. It's funny how rim protection improved in year 3 but the regressed in year 4 and PnR defence improved. Both have been pathetic so far this year.

Return to Toronto Raptors