ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Royce White Signs With London of NBL

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DaFroMan
Sixth Man
And1: 774

OT- Royce White Signs With London of NBL 

Post#1 » by DaFroMan » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:40 pm

White is a 6’8” Minnesota native who played collegiately at Iowa State University where he led his team in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocked shots – the only Division I player to do so in the 2011-2012 season. That same year he was named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year and was selected to the first team All-Big 12 and Big 12 All-Rookie.

At the 2012 NBA Draft Combine, White was drafted the 16th overall, first round draft pick by the Houston Rockets. White also has experience with the Philadelphia 76ers and the Sacramento Kings.

http://lightningbasketball.ca/p/14539/nr/100266/lightning-sign-former-nba-1st-round-draft-pick-royce-white

Sort of cool. First relatively known signing of the league since it's inception. If not everyone remembers Royce battled an anxiety disorder that made it difficult for him to fly, among other things, while in the NBA. I think it would be great for him and the league if he does well.

This article is a great read that outlined his situation.
http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/5/9/4312406/royce-white-living-and-working-with-anxiety-disorder
omaro34
Senior
And1: 700

Re: OT- Royce White Signs With London of NBL 

Post#2 » by omaro34 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:42 pm

nobody cares
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#3 » by MavCarter » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:44 pm

Nice
#Enjoytheride
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#4 » by MavCarter » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:47 pm

I think jahii carson plays in that league too. I wonder how the league is doing, do they get support?
#Enjoytheride
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,164

Post#5 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:47 pm

Shame how bad everyone hated on this guy for a disorder he couldn't control
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#6 » by WhatsaTDot » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:13 pm

This place is insufferable.
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#7 » by slothrop8 » Thu Dec 8, 2016 11:37 pm

McGregFan wrote:I think jahii carson plays in that league too. I wonder how the league is doing, do they get support?

There's a team near me and I go now and then when I can. I'm looking forward to seeing Jahii Carson actually - this is first year in the league. I hope Royce White sticks - I'd definitely go see him play. He was such a skilled and talented player - hope it works out for him. There's a mix of ex-D1 one guys and few CIS players on each team - every team has to have a couple Canadians. As a UNC fan - I was fired up to see Dexter Strickland last year - he started on a pretty stacked UNC team. There's usually decent crowds - it's not sold out or packed - but there's support.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#8 » by omar36 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:44 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Shame how bad everyone hated on this guy for a disorder he couldn't control

to be fair, houston did a ton to help him.

but this is a high profile signing, im sure this dude gunna dominate the league.
7 Footer
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,859

Post#9 » by 7 Footer » Fri Dec 9, 2016 2:27 am

#bewell
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Fri Dec 9, 2016 2:35 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Shame how bad everyone hated on this guy for a disorder he couldn't control

He was awesome in college. He could have been a perfect versatile 4 in today's league. Had a lot of Draymond Green in his game.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#11 » by gerrit4 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 2:37 am

I live in London, and have seen quite a few games. This is great news as I've always loved his game. A couple things to note:

I've heard support isn't great in other cities, but in London, the NBL has been very successful. I think it's just a matter of having the perfect sized city (around 350,000), a great arena, and being just far enough away from Toronto/Detroit that it's not convenient to go to games (though you still have basketball fans that go from time to time. So in a way, this city is the best thing for him.

On another note though, the quality of players in the league is actually pretty good in that it's guys who can run, jump, and shoot at a near NBA level. But you don't see a lot of great teamwork - it's a lot of guys trying to get their numbers so they can move up to another league. It's not on the level of what I'd assume Euroleague is like, where you have guys who really know how to win.

Royce will probably be the Michael Jordan of the NBL.
DaFroMan
Sixth Man
And1: 774

Post#12 » by DaFroMan » Fri Dec 9, 2016 12:59 pm

gerrit4 wrote:I live in London, and have seen quite a few games. This is great news as I've always loved his game. A couple things to note:

I've heard support isn't great in other cities, but in London, the NBL has been very successful. I think it's just a matter of having the perfect sized city (around 350,000), a great arena, and being just far enough away from Toronto/Detroit that it's not convenient to go to games (though you still have basketball fans that go from time to time. So in a way, this city is the best thing for him.

On another note though, the quality of players in the league is actually pretty good in that it's guys who can run, jump, and shoot at a near NBA level. But you don't see a lot of great teamwork - it's a lot of guys trying to get their numbers so they can move up to another league. It's not on the level of what I'd assume Euroleague is like, where you have guys who really know how to win.

Royce will probably be the Michael Jordan of the NBL.

London has been the gem of the league.excellent management. Great turnouts for every game. It's great to see.

The league is full of guys who were basically just a hair too short, too slow, too unprofessional to make the big league but quite a few have had their shots.

I've personally not paid much attention to the london team the last few years because like you said you get this " this is just a pit stop before I get something better" feeling from a lot of the players. Obviously with Royce's condition he might be here for a while with no alterior motive which makes the signing quite exciting.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#13 » by JV4MVP » Fri Dec 9, 2016 10:14 pm

omaro34 wrote:nobody cares

Agreed the guy was a tool

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#14 » by LLJ » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:06 pm

I seem to recall White also had a phobia about travelling on airplanes. Playing in this league would cut down his plane time significantly, compared to other leagues. I wish him the best. I think he sometimes uses his disorder as a crutch more than he needs to, so hopefully he can find some place to stick for a while. He won't get paid very much though.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#15 » by Raptor_Guy » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:34 pm

Houston did everything possible to help him and all he did was whine and make himself a victim when they did nothing wrong. There's a reason he's not in the NBA.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,164

Post#16 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:44 pm

Raptor_Guy wrote:

Houston did everything possible to help him and all he did was whine and make himself a victim when they did nothing wrong. There's a reason he's not in the NBA.

Maybe because he has a MENTAL ILLNESS. That pretty much explains his behaviour and why he is no longer In the NBA.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#17 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:47 pm

JV4MVP wrote:

...And this is why there's a stigma associated with mental illness. Come on. Do better.
JackedFinancier
Starter
And1: 3,902

Post#18 » by JackedFinancier » Fri Dec 9, 2016 11:59 pm

JV4MVP wrote:

Both of you with boneheaded comments. Just flat out classless. Great job!
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#19 » by BramptonYute » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:19 am

How will he drive there?
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#20 » by JV4MVP » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 am

JackedFinancier wrote:
JV4MVP wrote:

Both of you with boneheaded comments. Just flat out classless. Great job!

I follow the Rockets very closely. Royce tried to leverage his mental issues as a justification for some very arrogant decisions. Houston was more than accommodating and Royce took advantage of the relationship.

And if you want to talk about personality he was kicked out of his first Uni for stealing... and more recently fathered 5 kids from 4 women and has been criticized for being a deadbeat dad.

Return to Toronto Raptors