ImageImageImageImageImage

SOTD: Tucker and Ibaka...Corner vs. Above-The-Break

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

SOTD: Tucker and Ibaka...Corner vs. Above-The-Break 

Post#1 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Thought this was interesting....

We all know Ibaka and Tucker's three point percentages. But look a little deeper...

Serge Ibaka: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201586/shooting/
PJ Tucker: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200782/shooting/

Ibaka

Corner 3: 3-13 (23%)
Above-the-break 3: 80-201 (40%)

Tucker:

Corner 3: 39-107 (36%)
Above-the-break 3: 7-28 (25%)

For Tucker, this is pretty much par for the course. For Ibaka, its a little bit weird because 2014-15 looks very similar to this year, but 2015-16 was quite different - more corner threes and a lower percentage above the break.

Also - I went and looked at Patterson and Carroll and, while both of them take most of their threes above the break, Carroll is actually a lot better from the corner. IMHO part of the reason may have to do with spacing. Because, for the most part, Carroll starts the game as one of two outside threats (the other being Lowry), its harder to get him an open look in the corner. Now you put Ibaka out there, not only are there two legit outside threats, if you space them properly, you should be able to get better looks for both of them. Same thing goes for the pairing of Patterson and Tucker.

Of course, you can't always get the shot you want...but its an interesting facet of how our two new acquisitions could affect the team as a whole.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,535

Re: SOTD: Tucker and Ibaka...Corner vs. Above-The-Break 

Post#2 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm

Tucker's a pretty meh shooter. More than 50% of his 3's are "wide open" and he only shoots 32.4% on those. He also only takes 3.0 3PA's per 36.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200782/shots-dash/
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,511

Post#3 » by S.W.A.N » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Ibaka being decent at the above the break 3 is good for us. High pick and pop threat with lowry and demar.

In theory that could have a trickle down effect as defenders respect the roll opening up driving lanes.

As for Tucker. Play hard nose d for 15-20 mins and only shoot open corner threes. Keep it simple
We the North
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#4 » by hsb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Yeah, that's actually below average for the corner in regards to Tucker.

PPatt's ABT three percentage was fairly unimpressive iirc, so Ibaka adds a better level of three point shooting as the guards find it easier to throw it back for threes there. It's actually better than Ross's too, which was a nice surprise when I saw the numbers.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#5 » by VancouverRaps » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Good thing about Tucker is that he's a smart player that knows his limitations when it comes to shooting. It's good to see that a lot of his attempts are on open looks and from the corner. Pretty small sample size with Ibaka's corner 3's, only 13 attempts, but even last year he struggled with corner 3's. Ibaka as a pick-and-roll big is pretty intriguing since he's a pretty good shooter from above the break and obviously athletic enough to attack the basket as well.
We the Champs
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#6 » by Boogie! » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

tucker isnt a shooter period, which is why im a bit dissappointed by the acquisition. hes a defense, rebounding guy, which helps us in some ways, but hes not gonna make our offense any better come playoff time and again, whos to say how well our defense is gonna improve simply because of ibaka. the interior defense is the problem, not the perimeter right?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#7 » by T-d0t » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 pm

They did not acquire Tucker for his offense LOL come on
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,692

Post#8 » by Zeno » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:08 am

what is Lowry from the corner because I swear I can't remember him ever making one.(hyperbole)
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please adviseā€¦.

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors