ImageImageImageImageImage

PJT vs PP

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Re: PJT vs PP 

Post#21 » by LastNameEver » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Its PJ vs DMC

And here's the deal.
Carroll is a fine player. He has really come on defensively over the past few weeks..but even in the new CBA his contract is bloated at 15 mil per. Even at 10 mil i wouldn't be satisfied with Carroll's production.

Not to mention we need to shed salary to re-sign our acquisitions. So really its a no brainer who stays.
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#22 » by Sherlock » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:51 pm

_Ganan_ wrote:Yea idk DeMarre been playing well all of a sudden. Maybe whatever load was on his shoulders has been lifted a little and it's causing him to play better, atleast in my opinion.

He'd started playing better over the last couple of months, but it just so happened to coincide with the team diving headfirst into the toilet, so it was hard to notice.

But when DMC is on -- playing solid D, making good cuts, passing, hitting open 3s, he's the exact type of SF this team needs. I think having Ibaka and Tucker here will really help reinvigorate his game even further, as there'll be more variety to the offense and a lot more communication on D. He seems to thrive off both.

I see Ibaka/Tucker/Carroll/DD/Lowry as being our most likely closing lineups. PP in for DMC if matchups dictate or if DMC is having an off game.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,259

Post#23 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:11 pm

The Boy wrote:Its PJ vs DMC

And here's the deal.
Carroll is a fine player. He has really come on defensively over the past few weeks..but even in the new CBA his contract is bloated at 15 mil per. Even at 10 mil i wouldn't be satisfied with Carroll's production.

Not to mention we need to shed salary to re-sign our acquisitions. So really its a no brainer who stays.

In an ideal world, we will give up DMC for no salary. However, I think it will be hard to find a taker for Carroll and his contract without giving up other assets. Our team is also thin on SFs, and we finally have 2 that can play. I would love to give up Carroll for nothing and use the savings to sign PJ. See if Masai can pull that off.

If it is Tucker vs Pat on who gets the contract though, I would say PJ. His defense is too valuable for us and Casey. Love Pat, but can't pay a bench PF $15-20 mill on this team. Tucker can guard the 4 spot if needed, and maybe the rookies like Siakim and even Bruno will have to step in there.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#24 » by Tanner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't want to fall into the 2001 trap (re-signing AD/JYD/Alvin), but I think this current group for 2 more years could really maintain a high level of competitiveness. Just don't see how they can keep everyone without going way over the lux tax, though.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#25 » by gerrit4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 pm

_Ganan_ wrote:Yea idk DeMarre been playing well all of a sudden. Maybe whatever load was on his shoulders has been lifted a little and it's causing him to play better, atleast in my opinion.

I think it helps. He mentioned at halftime last night that having Serge behind him allows him to "get into his guy more" without the same fear of being blown by. I'd imagine it also helps to know that foul trouble is not as big of a concern.
G-Mamba
Junior
And1: 475

Post#26 » by G-Mamba » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Wait wth.... Charlie vs Bosh was a thing....
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#27 » by sca » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:39 pm

For the curious, here's our rotation for the last two games:

I mean, they aren't even playing at the same position.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#28 » by LLJ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:41 pm

sca wrote:I'm beginning to hate these vs. threads. Why can't you just sit back and enjoy the ride?

Because everything's a competition. Even a 'most handsome Raptor' thread brings out intense debate...
_Ganan_
Sophomore
And1: 701

Post#29 » by _Ganan_ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Sherlock wrote:

He'd started playing better over the last couple of months, but it just so happened to coincide with the team diving headfirst into the toilet, so it was hard to notice.

But when DMC is on -- playing solid D, making good cuts, passing, hitting open 3s, he's the exact type of SF this team needs. I think having Ibaka and Tucker here will really help reinvigorate his game even further, as there'll be more variety to the offense and a lot more communication on D. He seems to thrive off both.

I see Ibaka/Tucker/Carroll/DD/Lowry as being our most likely closing lineups. PP in for DMC if matchups dictate or if DMC is having an off game.

That is true, although there were a few games where DMC played like sh*t (Bulls game and a couple games around that time), but since then he's been playing well
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#30 » by LastNameEver » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

And here's the deal.

In an ideal world, we will give up DMC for no salary. However, I think it will be hard to find a taker for Carroll and his contract without giving up other assets. Our team is also thin on SFs, and we finally have 2 that can play. I would love to give up Carroll for nothing and use the savings to sign PJ. See if Masai can pull that off.

If it is Tucker vs Pat on who gets the contract though, I would say PJ. His defense is too valuable for us and Casey. Love Pat, but can't pay a bench PF $15-20 mill on this team. Tucker can guard the 4 spot if needed, and maybe the rookies like Siakim and even Bruno will have to step in there.
Masai seems to be apt at finding willing trade partners time and time again. I hope he can correct one last error contract.

G-Mamba wrote:Wait wth.... Charlie vs Bosh was a thing....
There was a game against Milwaukee where Bosh was out and CV scored like 50 points.

You know the rap fan community... I dont even half to tell you about the knee jerk reactions.
BBallG
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,749

Post#31 » by BBallG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:37 pm

PJT brings a toughness that is invaluable for our team. I'd keep him over PP or DMC. I'd trade DMC first (realistically he's been decent only for a month in the last 2 seasons) followed by PP( even though he's our glue guy, he ain't punching Blake Griffin).

When we lost our father Biyombo we didn't just lose his D, we lost someone that will push back when is pushed. The guy stood up to LBJ FFS... we are getting that fire with PJT, can't make that mistake twice, need to find a way to keep him.
G-Mamba
Junior
And1: 475

Post#32 » by G-Mamba » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

The Boy wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:

And here's the deal.

Masai seems to be apt at finding willing trade partners time and time again. I hope he can correct one last error contract.

G-Mamba wrote:Wait wth.... Charlie vs Bosh was a thing....
There was a game against Milwaukee where Bosh was out and CV scored like 50 points.

You know the rap fan community... I dont even half to tell you about the knee jerk reactions.

Haha say no more. We haven't seen a Patterson and jv lineup. I think JV should play all of 1st and check back 4 min into second. Then all of 3rd. He's our x factor if nothing is going well.. we will unleash him in the 4th if we need him if not he can go to the back early and workout Lol. Ibaka is always looking for JV and PJ Tucker is always the first one off the bench cheering especially when JV was scoring.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#33 » by RedX » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 am

Roco14 wrote:
RedX wrote:
Roco14 wrote:This discussion should really be PJ vs Carroll, and just about everyone will choose PJ

Lowry
Derozan
Tucker
Patterson
Ibaka

To be fair to him, DC has been playing really well the last 5 games or so. When he's healthy, he makes us a lot better, you really can't dismiss that. Hopefully he can stay healthy, that's been his main issue.

I won't deny that he does add value when healthy, but at 15M I just don't think he's worth it. I really hope we can retain Pat, PJ, Serge, and Lowry of course, and DC would be the first guy I would clear in order to make it happen. What do you think?

Fully agree. I like DC but not more than any of those guys. Tucker is an animal out there, and his game will be even more valuable in the playoffs.
Totem
Analyst
And1: 3,161

Post#34 » by Totem » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 am

It's not Tucker that has been forcing the benching of PPat going forward, it's been the resurgence of Carroll's Defence. This dude has been bringing it on defence and is the main reason why casey has pushed tucker down to the 4 instead having him finish games at SF with PPat and Ibaka.
Product of TZ
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#35 » by Gold Dragon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am

Masai will want to keep at least 3 of Ibaka, Tucker, Carroll and Patterson and if he can, all 4. I think Cojo, Carroll and JV are all valued more by Masai than this board and there is a reasonable chance all 3 are still around next year.

In terms of free agency, based on amounts signed by players last off season I think fair market value for Lowry is around 31-32M which is more than Conley but less than Lebron. 31M flat over 5 years is also just slightly more than any other team can offer as a total. Ibaka around 23-24M which is the level of Wade and Howard. Tucker around 10M which is the level of Jared Dudley and Al Jefferson. 2Pat around 12M which is the level of Afflalo and Courtney Lee. In terms of FA priorty, I think it is 1) Lowry 2) Ibaka 3) Tucker 4) 2Pat.

In terms of players to salary dump I think the order from most likely is 1) Bruno 2) Bebe 3) Cojo 4) JV 5) DMC 6) VV. The minimal space gained by dumping VV makes him unlikely to be dumped.

I've mentioned that 15M over the tax is a key line because once you go over that, the tax rate goes up to over $3 for every dollar over the tax. If this team does well in the playoffs, MLSE may allow Masai to go further than this 15M mark.

If the priority is to keep as many of these players together as possible, I can see Bruno and Bebe salary dumped, 2Pat let go and Lowry (31M), Ibaka (23M) and Tucker (10M) retained. This leads to 13 players under contract, a total salary of 17M over the 122M luxury tax line and a tax bill around 35M

JV/Poeltl
Ibaka/Pascal/1st rounder
DMC/Tucker
DD/Powell
KL/Cojo/Wright/VV
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#36 » by Veggamattic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:40 pm

I find it hard to think of 1 thing that Patterson is better at than Tucker.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#37 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Roco14 wrote:This discussion should really be PJ vs Carroll, and just about everyone will choose PJ

Lowry
Derozan
Tucker
Patterson
Ibaka

It entirely depends on matchups and Carroll has been playing quite well this month.

The reason Tucker played the 4 last night was because Melo was playing the 4 for the Knicks. And putting Tucker instead of PP on Melo makes sense as does having Carroll guarding a perimeter player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#38 » by YogiStewart » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm

would you be hitting shots if your teammate was slamming Amber Rose down the hall?
i think not.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 pm

Veggamattic wrote:I find it hard to think of 1 thing that Patterson is better at than Tucker.

PP is a better shooter 3 point shooter for sure. He's also a better passer, they're similar rebounders and PP is al'ost certainly better at guarding true PF/C types with his length

Don't turn the blinders on based on 3 games.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#40 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Tucker said he loves. The Carroll, Tucker, Ibaka front court on defense. So much talking
Raptors til death

Return to Toronto Raptors