ImageImageImageImageImage

Advice for a Raps fan going to Detroit

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: Advice for a Raps fan going to Detroit 

Post#21 » by dacrusha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:Don't pull off the highway to get gas or anything else in greater Detroit. Seriously.

I borrowed my parents' camper van for a cross-America camping trek many many years ago and me and the girlfriend we're heading to the Canadian border from Detroit on a Saturday evening. This was when the border crossing was undergoing all sorts of construction and the detours were not very visible... and I took a wrong turn onto an off-ramp from the I-75 and into some burned out section of downtown.

Needless to say, I was VERY nervous for the next 5 minutes driving this big-ass camper down Michigan Avenue and looking for a way to get back onto the right track to the border.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#22 » by EJaggit » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Beautiful arena- way better than the ACC, and the foods affordable too. Definitely one of my favourite arenas
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#23 » by Throwback24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Man no one will in Detroit will hurt you. You're a Canadian raptor fan who posts on realgm, you aren't the type of person they'd try to test.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Lunchpailhero1
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,105

Post#24 » by Lunchpailhero1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm in Windsor and usually check out a raptors game in detroit every year. it's usually really fun and swamped with raptors fans. raptors fans pretty much take over the building. that part of detroit is completely fine. the facility is nice.

you have to pay for parking. i believe it was 12 US last year. you can pay with visa though.

have fun
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#25 » by super_balls » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:55 pm

dbhoops wrote:Went last year with Elite Sports, had fun going down with two bus loads. They're doing the same for this game no bus, just tickets. Still should be a good number of Raps fans.

If you go early and you can get things signed, the guys were signing tons of stuff before they headed off the court after the last shoot around.

Food is cheappppppp (compared to the ACC), buy the nuggets and fries combo :)

If you smoke, there is an outside patio area.

Parking is weird, it can take a while to get in and out.

Edit: Have fun!

Oh god, yes the parking is a crap show. I watched game 4 of the Indy series last year then drove down to Detroit to catch the ending of the their series with Cleveland - Who knew Flow Rida was pretty cool live. Anyways, getting out of the parking took hours and I think I witnessed a threesome in a car parked way in the back.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Post#26 » by Anticon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:58 pm

dacrusha wrote:
The_Hater wrote:Don't pull off the highway to get gas or anything else in greater Detroit. Seriously.

I borrowed my parents' camper van for a cross-America camping trek many many years ago and me and the girlfriend we're heading to the Canadian border from Detroit on a Saturday evening. This was when the border crossing was undergoing all sorts of construction and the detours were not very visible... and I took a wrong turn onto an off-ramp from the I-75 and into some burned out section of downtown.

Needless to say, I was VERY nervous for the next 5 minutes driving this big-ass camper down Michigan Avenue and looking for a way to get back onto the right track to the border.

Detroit has changed a lot in the past few years. Still has a long way to go but lots of parts of downtown and near downtown are on the upswing.

And the near suburbs, places like Royal Oak, or the areas around Auburn Hills, are as nice as anywhere.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#27 » by dagger » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:I hear Detroit is nice this time of year. Seriously though you seem like a good guy OP, have fun. Lock your doors.

Auburn Hills. Is actually safe and awesome. The city of Detroit is the dumpster. That's where the pistons are going next year

The downtown and even mid-town cores of the city are undergoing quite a renaissance. Once you venture beyond, it turns into that wasteland, then as you move into the suburbs, it becomes quite prosperous again. Outer burbs like Auburn Hills are nothing like the worst parts of the city.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#28 » by dacrusha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Anticon wrote:
dacrusha wrote:

Detroit has changed a lot in the past few years. Still has a long way to go but lots of parts of downtown and near downtown are on the upswing.

And the near suburbs, places like Royal Oak, or the areas around Auburn Hills, are as nice as anywhere.

I don't doubt that. My experience is from about 15 years ago, so obviously a little dated. :)
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Jer15Jer
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#29 » by Jer15Jer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Didn't Jack Armstrong go on a rant yesterday about how much he loved going to Detroit?

He raved about staying in Ann Arbor, I believe.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#30 » by mrsocko » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Seems like the lights are turned down too low at the palace. Everything seems drab unlike the ACC.

I had no trouble with parking. Suburbs of Detroit are no less safe than Toronto.
Dick expectation level 0/5
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#31 » by JJ From Deep » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Jer15Jer wrote:Didn't Jack Armstrong go on a rant yesterday about how much he loved going to Detroit?

yeah but Jack is a G
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#32 » by scopy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:12 pm

The_Hater wrote:
JJ From Deep wrote:

I feel like it can't be this bad lol

If you know where you're going, you're fine, but there are neighbourhoods you do not want to pull into with Canadian plates. Detroit has about 5-6 of the top 20 neighbourhoods for crime in the US. But roll the dice if you like.

Hater is correct on this, be careful where you go at night. I was just driving through downtown on my way to the border and at a stoplight, these group of guys pulled up beside me and were scoping me out. I told my coworkers in Windsor the next day and they told me "dude you DON'T stop at a red light in downtown Detroit at night". This was awhile ago, but there were a lot of boarded up houses, cars that were jacked up, or had been burnt, and the streets.... well I've seen better roads in a village in India.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Post#33 » by Anticon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Jer15Jer wrote:Didn't Jack Armstrong go on a rant yesterday about how much he loved going to Detroit?

He always mentions Birmingham, which is a nice town not too far from Auburn Hills.

It's nothing worth going out of your way for, but it's a nice place if you're staying in that area.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#34 » by Young_Buc » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

I was in Detroit around the time Harold and Kumar went to White Castle. I needed to try it. It was like a walking dead episode. City really looks post apocalyptic. Crackheads being the zombies. Burnt and boarded up buildings everywhere.
blitz41
Rookie
And1: 759

Post#35 » by blitz41 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm

dagger wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:I hear Detroit is nice this time of year. Seriously though you seem like a good guy OP, have fun. Lock your doors.

Auburn Hills. Is actually safe and awesome. The city of Detroit is the dumpster. That's where the pistons are going next year

The downtown and even mid-town cores of the city are undergoing quite a renaissance. Once you venture beyond, it turns into that wasteland, then as you move into the suburbs, it becomes quite prosperous again. Outer burbs like Auburn Hills are nothing like the worst parts of the city.

I think alot of the larger rust belt cities are finally going through this. Fairly recently i was in milwaukee, and the downtown area where the rivers meet the lake is a gorgeous spot. But then i went to the miller brewery for a tour and even just a few km outside the core you run into those sorta run-down semi-suburbs.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#36 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:45 pm

Ann Arbor is great and a long ways from Detroit proper.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#37 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:

It's like 45 mins. Not far at all.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#38 » by Courtside » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm

No matter how cold it is outside, don't roll down your window if some guy in a full ski mask is knocking on it.
The_Hater

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Anticon wrote:
dacrusha wrote:

I don't doubt that. My experience is from about 15 years ago, so obviously a little dated. :)

The suburbs have always been nice, that's where all the $$$ went to live decades ago, but Detroit proper is still trying to dig its way out of corruption, bankruptcy, decay and high crime rates. There's always been decent pockets but It's probably worse than it was 15 years ago.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#40 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

It's like 45 mins. Not far at all.

My original post was warning against Detroit proper, not Ann Arbor, Auburn Hills, Livonia or any rich suburb miles outside of the decaying city.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Raptors