ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai it's time for you to build your own core

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Do you want masai to build his own core not from BC guys

Poll ended at Mon May 1, 2017 3:13 am

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 104

JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,996

Re: Masai it's time for you to build you're own core 

Post#61 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:15 am

I'm sorry, but if we do a rebuild, Ujiri isn't the guy I would want doing it. He's had his shot. The guy has been here for like 4 years now. If he made the call to try to compete with BC's core, then he should take responsibility for the results.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#62 » by Latrell » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 am

JaysRule15 wrote:I'm sorry, but if we do a rebuild, Ujiri isn't the guy I would want doing it. He's had his shot. The guy has been here for like 4 years now. If he made the call to try to compete with BC's core, then he should take responsibility for the results.

But he hasn't really had his shot though.

I'd like to see what he does in an actual rebuild with actual high draft picks.

Raptors have been a successful team for the past 4 seasons. Toronto now has a reputation for being a good destination. He played his cards mostly right though the 4 years.

Now that it's becoming clearer that this core has reached it's ceiling I'm actually hopeful and excited that Masai rebuilds his way finally.
jindy20
Junior
And1: 345

Post#63 » by jindy20 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am

Ppl actually have MASAI on the chopping block LOL. He attempted to clean house 4 yrs ago and the team decided to start winning. The coach in place took the team to the ECF. I'm all for finding a new coach and perhaps moving on from Kyle but MASAI is not the problem, and you are delusional if you think otherwise.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:56 am

Latrell wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:I'm sorry, but if we do a rebuild, Ujiri isn't the guy I would want doing it. He's had his shot. The guy has been here for like 4 years now. If he made the call to try to compete with BC's core, then he should take responsibility for the results.

Raptors have been a successful team for the past 4 seasons. Toronto now has a reputation for being a good destination. He played his cards mostly right though the 4 years.

Now that it's becoming clearer that this core has reached it's ceiling I'm actually hopeful and excited that Masai rebuilds his way finally.

Imo, Masai and his team should've realized that this core couldn't beat a LeBron-led team in the East and started the rebuild a lot earlier. I give him credit for trying to start the rebuild in 2014 and it's not his fault the team defied expectations and made the playoffs that year. But opting to go with the same core again in 2015 (and failing miserably) and beyond are on Masai. To me, it looks like he saw weakness in the East and settled on taking shortcuts into being a playoff team, rather than rebuilding the right way into a contending team.

You talked about Toronto now having a reputation for being a good destination. I don't know about that. With our current cap situation, we can't really bring in any free agent to augment this core. If we do rebuild and go young, no free agent in their prime will want to come here for the losing seasons that a rebuilding team inevitably goes through. The way to do it is to acquire high draft picks and draft young talent first, then fill out the cap by bringing in quality free agents who can support that young talent. That's what a team like the Bucks did. If we suck for the next 2-3 years while we rebuild, that rep we built over the last 4 years isn't going to count for much imo. Free agents in 2019-2020 will be looking at the money we offer and the young stars we have when deciding to come here or not.

I just feel like someone in our management team needs to take responsibility for the last four seasons where we've effectively been a treadmill team with no real future, relying on stars that disappear in the playoffs (Lowry) or play a style of game that is outdated in today's NBA (DeMar). While these two are BC's guys, Masai is the one who continued to roll with them after 2014 and deciding that he could compete with them despite their flaws. I'm not saying Fire Masai or that he's a bad GM/Pres, but clearly whatever he was planning since 2014 hasn't worked out.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#65 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 am

Rebuilding with Bruno playing would super fun to watch
Raptors til death
jindy20
Junior
And1: 345

Post#66 » by jindy20 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 am

JaysRule15 wrote:
Latrell wrote:

Imo, Masai and his team should've realized that this core couldn't beat a LeBron-led team in the East and started the rebuild a lot earlier. I give him credit for trying to start the rebuild in 2014 and it's not his fault the team defied expectations and made the playoffs that year. But opting to go with the same core again in 2015 (and failing miserably) and beyond are on Masai. To me, it looks like he saw weakness in the East and settled on taking shortcuts into being a playoff team, rather than rebuilding the right way into a contending team.

You talked about Toronto now having a reputation for being a good destination. I don't know about that. With our current cap situation, we can't really bring in any free agent to augment this core. If we do rebuild and go young, no free agent in their prime will want to come here for the losing seasons that a rebuilding team inevitably goes through. The way to do it is to acquire high draft picks and draft young talent first, then fill out the cap by bringing in quality free agents who can support that young talent. That's what a team like the Bucks did. If we suck for the next 2-3 years while we rebuild, that rep we built over the last 4 years isn't going to count for much imo. Free agents in 2019-2020 will be looking at the money we offer and the young stars we have when deciding to come here or not.

I just feel like someone in our management team needs to take responsibility for the last four season where we've effectively been a treadmill team with no real future, relying on stars that disappear in the playoffs (Lowry) or play a style of game that is outdated in today's NBA (DeMar). While these two are BC's guys, Masai is the one who continued to roll with them after 2014 and deciding that he could compete with them despite their flaws.

The "flawed" players he rolled with gave us our best season in franchise history and moments most us will cherish. I think Masai is perfectly capable of a full blown rebuild and there's not many GM's in the league I'd rather have than that man.

God bless Masai Ujiri.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 am

jindy20 wrote:
JaysRule15 wrote:
Latrell wrote:

I just feel like someone in our management team needs to take responsibility for the last four season where we've effectively been a treadmill team with no real future, relying on stars that disappear in the playoffs (Lowry) or play a style of game that is outdated in today's NBA (DeMar). While these two are BC's guys, Masai is the one who continued to roll with them after 2014 and deciding that he could compete with them despite their flaws.

The "flawed" players he rolled with gave us our best season in franchise history and moments most us will cherish. I think Masai is perfectly capable of a full blown rebuild and there's not many GM's in the league I'd rather have than that man.

God bless Masai Ujiri.

I too cherish the last 4 playoff seasons, but only because this franchise hasn't had a history of success. At the end of the day, you have to decide whether you want to be a team like the Hawks that make the playoffs year after year but stay irrelevant or would you rather be a team that is willing to undergo a few losing seasons while it aims for high draft picks and tries to draft young talent that could potentially turn into stars and make the team into a contender.

I look at a team like the Leafs. They decided that they had enough of overpaying veterans and chasing a playoff spot, so they committed to a complete teardown and were willing to undergo a few losing seasons in order to get a shot at drafting young talent. Now look where the Leafs are now. That's what I'm hoping for the Raptors and the Jays to do.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#68 » by Senbonzakura » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 am

mtr15 wrote:I'm normally even keeled, but I think it might be time to do a rebuild. Trade DeMar on draft night to the Lakers for their top pick and draft Josh Jackson. Trade JV, Carroll for picks and filler. And as much as I hate to say, let Lowry walk this summer.

This is assuming the Lakers even keep their pick (it has to be top 3) in which case they wouldn't trade it.

I do agree on blowing up the roster though but people need to expect much lower return for these players. If you're trading with the Lakers I think you could get Ingram and Clarkson or maybe Ingram and Nance Jr. for DeRozan.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#69 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:17 am

This team need to miss the playoffs for at least 1 season so the money hungry big shots at MLSE can stop going crazy with these playoff ticket prices. Why is it some scrub on welfare in Milwaukee can go to their playoff games and drink himself stupid and we have to stand in the rain to watch the team on a big screen because we can't afford these ridiculous ticket prices ? Did you hear the crowd in Milwaukee ? I think that crowd played a big part in throwing our players off. That was us back in the Brooklyn series when real fans could at least afford nose bleed seats. Now you can't even afford to pay for nose bleed seats because MLSE has gone mad with the ticket prices. What you saw in Milwaukee was real fans in the building. The loud mouth guys living in the trailer park in Milwaukee were in there, the class clowns in high school were in there, the drunk group of college and University loud mouths were in there, the annoying chicks that won't shut up on the bus were in there, just your average joe's that don't care about getting sweaty. Not a bunch of rich people that don't even want clap or put on the t shirts while they sip beer with a straw and texting nonstop. Raptors playoff games are now a meeting of the rich and the real fans are the ones standing outside in the rain screaming at screen. You know the real fans that actually take the time to make signs and buy raptor gear.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
BrunoSkull
RealGM
And1: 110,436

Post#70 » by BrunoSkull » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 am

Bismack, Ibaka, Freak, Tucker

That's his type of core to start with if he had the pick in 2013 and the trades and so on.
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#71 » by LastNameEver » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

Not many GMs can assemble a team like this.

The underachieving performance​ is on the coach and players.

I would absolutely trust Masai to rebuild the team.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,197

Post#72 » by rapstarter » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:40 am

This IS his core. He's been here 4 years. This is more his fault than it is his predecessors'.
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#73 » by thunderforce » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 pm

rapstarter wrote:This IS his core. He's been here 4 years. This is more his fault than it is his predecessors'.

No Masai was brought in to do a rebuild but after the Rudy trade they played so good that there was no way he could rebuild so he ran with it . Masai should absolutely stay and do the rebuild he was promised and for starters we should trade all we can and bring up the whole freaking 905 and give everyone there a tryout . Centre the team around Bruno , Poeltl , and Norm and try all the good 905'ers and see what is what .
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#74 » by Moose23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I dont care who or what the core is, it is just glaringly obvious that this one doesnt work. and that Lowry and Demar AND Casey all need to go.
WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#75 » by WigginsNation » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:57 pm

Just need to fire Casey and we'll be good next year
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,952

Post#76 » by Tortiglioni » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Masai is a corporate clown. I wouldn't be surprised if he shares his office with the Raptors' marketing team.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#77 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 pm

mtr15 wrote:I'm normally even keeled, but I think it might be time to do a rebuild. Trade DeMar on draft night to the Lakers for their top pick and draft Josh Jackson. Trade JV, Carroll for picks and filler. And as much as I hate to say, let Lowry walk this summer.

so long as it is accompanied by booting casey far far away i would be ok with this and think some version of it is probably the best option.

my preference would be to see what a genuinely smart coach could do with all this talent. because we have a lot of it. but that would mean resigning Lowry and the other free agents and i don't see that happening. so probably we need to break it up, trade for 2-way youth, bring in a real (and by this i mean GREAT) coach and start again. and i will still feel the same way in the unlikely event that we scrape through the next few games with more immoral defeats (ie. skin-of-our-teeth wins playing Casey ball).
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#78 » by Moose23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Demar for Wiggins and Rubio. giggiddy
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,952

Post#79 » by Tortiglioni » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:28 pm

The most alarming thing about Masai is that he clearly realized the core was incredibly flawed (was initially going to tear it down), but ultimately stuck with it because this was the easier/safer thing to do for both him and MLSE. Stick with the core, beef up the marketing efforts and keep the treadmill rolling. The Raptors have been a cash cow for MLSE since this decision and it seems like, once again, maintaining a steady bottom line takes priority over everything else.
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,632

Post#80 » by sbsat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Masai re-tooled this roster perfectly for a sustained playoff run. This is entirely on the players and coach.

The biggest mistake Masai has made thus far is the DMC contract.

Return to Toronto Raptors