ImageImageImageImageImage

Norman Powell (traded by Bucks for Vasquez) was unbelievable

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: Norman Powell (traded by Bucks for Vasquez) was unbelievable 

Post#141 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm not overhyping but Powell is playing like Kawhi Leonard did in the 2013 playoffs

Norman Powell this series
22 mins
13.5pts
3rebs
2.5asts
75% TS

90% From 3 lol

26.3 PER

Lock down Middleton

Just been unbelievable

Thank God we traded Ross away. Powell would never have got this chance
Raptors til death
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,288

Post#142 » by raptorstime » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:00 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:I'm not overhyping but Powell is playing like Kawhi Leonard did in the 2013 playoffs

13.5pts
3rebs
2.5asts
75% TS

90% From 3 lol

26.3 PER

Lock down Middleton

Just been unbelievable

He's has kawhi's work ethic, but not the physical gifts. He can still be an amazing player if he keeps progressing.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: Norman Powell was unbelievable 

Post#143 » by Scott Hall » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

mrdressup wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:It's really mind boggling that it took this long in an emergency situation to play him

To be honest, I though NP was not that good for us going down the stretch. He was really stinking it up in a reserve role and his defense wasn't measuring up. He got more than a few quick yanks. His shot was far from "money" going into the playoffs. To me, this is just a remarkable story of him shining under the big lights just at the right time. What really does help him enormously is to be that 4th option where he gets almost no consideration by defenses. He's getting lots of room to maneuver and open looks. When he's guarded tightly as a bench player playing at the top of the key he tends to force really bad shots. That should be a hint for us that he is a very good player to have on the wing with DD and KL. I'd rather see him over CoJo. We should be able to get a lot out of him as a 4th option in terms of scoring and spacing. Will he be able to continue to perform with all the adulation? We' ll see. It would be awesome to see him be consistent all throughout the playoffs, but I think we just saw two outlier performances. Nevertheless, well done Norm.

Yeah he didn't play well during the stretch and I agree with your assessment but I think a big reason for that has been
irregular minutes and playing time. IRC he wasn't playing much before the trades. Then when Ross got traded it freed
up some playing time for him. I wasn't really a fan of how Casey was using him and I remember at times he'd play him
late in the game when he was ice cold and ofcourse he'd make a mistake being thrown into the fire so late and he'd make
a mistake and get yanked.

The way I look at it is... A good coach would realize how talented he is and try and work with him and make sure he
keeps on playing at a high level like he has demonstrated in the past. Casey should realize he brings things this team badly
needs and he's a young player and he's gonna make mistakes at times.

Instead Casey benches him and barely plays him and it was almost looking like a James Johnson situation to me all over
again. It was starting to feel like Casey completely gave up on Powell. He's easily the 4th or 5th most talented player
on the team...

You got to build a guy like that up and not almost give up on him
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#144 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:32 pm

I think Powell plays much better with derozan and Lowry.

In the bench role they were using him like Lou Williams and Jamal crawford. Primary ball handler he forced everything but playing with other good players he can choose his spots and hit open shots.

Hopefully he keeps improving and he can have enough offense moves to be like Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford type scorer off the bench with good defense
Raptors til death
dkb33
Starter
And1: 1,006

Post#145 » by dkb33 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:48 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

They had scouted him and he blew them away in workouts. Was exactly the same as having that second rounder they just had Milwaukee make the pick... I consider him scouted and essentially drafted by us. I also think his room to grow is shooting and he had made progress even though he is streaky. Casey just has DD and KL so ball dominant that for other players their stats and minutes go in the toilet. Casey has to start Norm there is just no way to sugarcoat it. Park Joseph and play Delon. The new kids are emerging let's embrace it. Hel the "B" kids are In a championship.

It is nice to know that if money is tight keeping Lowry/DeRozan/Ibaka core that you have guys in Wright/Powell/Siakam/Poeltl that can replace Joseph/Carroll/Patterson/JV. To have Powell flip the series must be so upsetting for Hammond/Kidd who traded the kid away and a pick in a good draft for Trashquez of all people. What the heck were they thinking? The Raptors then gave Trashquez salary to Joseph. So really the Raptors ended up fliping Trashquez for Joseph, Powell and the 22nd pick in the 2017 draft. Hilarious!
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#146 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Ibaka and Powell for Ross and Vasquez
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#147 » by djsunyc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Yallbecrazy wrote:Ibaka and Powell for Ross and Vasquez

theoretically expand that to this:

cojo + ibaka + powell for ross + vasquez + 2017 #26 pick.
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#148 » by RaptorsLife » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm

You could tell he was gonna be real food after first summer league game he played
Raptors til death
BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Post#149 » by BucksPackers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Giannis for Powell?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#150 » by dagger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:03 pm

BucksPackers wrote:Giannis for Powell?

Yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat and any honest person on this board would too. Giannis will be an MVP in this league. Love his game, but I will be happy if we eliminate him this year.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dkb33
Starter
And1: 1,006

Post#151 » by dkb33 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 pm

dagger wrote:

Yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat and any honest person on this board would too. Giannis will be an MVP in this league. Love his game, but I will be happy if we eliminate him this year.

It is meant as a joke. I would trade half the team including out best players for Giannis.
cbjrdm
Junior
And1: 98

Post#152 » by cbjrdm » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

LOL :lol:
[quote:5b2d496ae9="d12_orl"]wow, im impressed...i think by the time its all said and done, he will be in the top 5 category if not top 3[/quote] on dwight (in the greatest center category)
Clementine64
Starter
And1: 2,523

Post#153 » by Clementine64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:You could tell he was gonna be real food after first summer league game he played

This post makes me hungry for a Hawaiian pizza. :lol:
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#154 » by Mikistan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

raptorstime wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:I'm not overhyping but Powell is playing like Kawhi Leonard did in the 2013 playoffs

13.5pts
3rebs
2.5asts
75% TS

90% From 3 lol

26.3 PER

Lock down Middleton

Just been unbelievable

He's has kawhi's work ethic, but not the physical gifts. He can still be an amazing player if he keeps progressing.

You're right, he has D-Wade's physical gifts instead
Clementine64
Starter

Post#155 » by Clementine64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Raptors need a sweetener. Maybe throw in Maker, Middleton, Brogdon,Jabari and a few snacks to make up for the lost food.
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: RE: Re: Norman Powell (traded by Bucks for Vasquez) was unbelievable 

Post#156 » by bon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Nope. Call me when Giannis shoots 89% from 3 in a playoff series.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#157 » by HangTime » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:51 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

They had scouted him and he blew them away in workouts. Was exactly the same as having that second rounder they just had Milwaukee make the pick... I consider him scouted and essentially drafted by us. I also think his room to grow is shooting and he had made progress even though he is streaky. Casey just has DD and KL so ball dominant that for other players their stats and minutes go in the toilet. Casey has to start Norm there is just no way to sugarcoat it. Park Joseph and play Delon. The new kids are emerging let's embrace it. Hel the "B" kids are In a championship.

If anyone that hasn't seen the open gym segment on Norm from last year, it's pretty good.

Starts at 14:45.

Surprised the Spurs worked him out, and didn't take him 26th.

yodamaster
Veteran
And1: 2,629

Post#158 » by yodamaster » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:Can't believe Ainge drafted RJ Hunter and Jordan Mickey instead of this guy smh

dont forget rozier.

even accounting for "limited upside" of drafting a senior, norman is a lottery pick if 2015 or at worst top 15 pick... with other notable being booker making a jump to top 5 pick.

hopefully you guys land number 1 pick, even ainge can't mess that one up XD
Clementine64
Starter

Post#159 » by Clementine64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:28 am

My first born child will be named Norman or Norma Powell. Yes, I will change my last name to accommodate this :)

Return to Toronto Raptors