ImageImageImageImageImage

Ibaka to " basically" resign with raps

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

brady10
Sophomore
And1: 344

Ibaka to " basically" resign with raps 

Post#1 » by brady10 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: Ibaka to " basically" resign with raps 

Post#2 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 pm

20 million is fine. Hopefully for 4 years
Raptors til death
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#3 » by Concernedcad » Fri May 19, 2017 5:49 pm

He's going to be our starting C. JV is a goner.
Edumacated
Senior
And1: 404

Post#4 » by Edumacated » Fri May 19, 2017 5:53 pm

$80/4 years is not bad.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#5 » by Throwback24 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Concernedcad wrote:He's going to be our starting C. JV is a goner.

He's too weak to play C. His rebounding and post strength/fundamentals are serious issues. The board better hope we don't play the Bucks again in the 1st round next year....

Classic bigs see 10 consecutive green lights with Ibaka down low. Monroe would absolutely roast Ibaka.

Anyway, I have no issue with this. Sign him and ship him out asap. Play out the 1st few months but if a deal presents itself, ship him. He's not a good fit here with Kyle/DD on the roster.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
kakashi
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#6 » by kakashi » Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm

This is pretty good news, 20 is reasonable and it'll be great to see what they can do chemistry wise over a full season. Now if only Casey doesn't F this up.
purplepowerade
Junior
And1: 671

Post#7 » by purplepowerade » Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 pm

is this source legit?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,611

Post#8 » by Johnny Bball » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

This was probably hammered out before we traded Ross in principle.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#9 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Maybe trade for Kenneth faired to offset Ibaka rebounding as a 5. Ibaka would strench floor but defend the 5
Raptors til death
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#10 » by Zeno » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

If Ibaka is our starting Centre then we have a hole at the 4 again.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#11 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm

They are citing Steve Kyler as their source.
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#12 » by Concernedcad » Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Throwback24 wrote:

He's too weak to play C. His rebounding and post strength are serious issues. The board better hope we don't play the Bucks again the 1st round next year....

Classic bigs see 10 consecutive green lights with Ibaka down low. Monroe would absolutely roast Ibaka.

Anyway, I have no issue with this. Sign him and ship him out asap. Play out the 1st few months but if a deal presents itself, ship him. He's not a good fit here with Kyle/DD on the roster.

He's also too slow to play the 4. He can improve his strength, laterally he is what he is. I'm excited to see what Masai does with JV.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#13 » by Throwback24 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:This was probably hammered out before we traded Ross in principle.

100%. And 20M is actually a really fair deal. I don't care about what Mozgov got, stupid GM's do stupid things. In a vacuum, 20M reflects fair market value for Ibaka.

If a team wanted to pay him 25M, by all means go make your money plehboi. It shouldn't be us.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#14 » by dacrusha » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Throwback24 wrote:

He's too weak to play C. His rebounding and post strength are serious issues. The board better hope we don't play the Bucks again the 1st round next year....

He's too weak to play center in yesteryear's version of the game where big lumbering centers were the norm. In this era of small-ball, where athleticism and the ability to defend the 3-point line are paramount, Ibaka is just fine at the position.

And yeah, Moose might use his size to his advantage, but he'll also struggle mightily when asked to defend Ibaka all the way out to the 3-point line.

Really, how many dominant, back-to-the-basket centers are left in the league?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,792

Post#15 » by ash_k » Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 pm

YES! great news! if this is true
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#16 » by visionquest » Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I like it!

OT how come no one posted report that KL doesn't want to live in Toronto ?
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,221

Post#17 » by kwajo » Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 pm

”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,611

Post#18 » by Johnny Bball » Fri May 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Throwback24 wrote:

He's too weak to play C. His rebounding and post strength/fundamentals are serious issues. The board better hope we don't play the Bucks again in the 1st round next year....

There's lots of reasons why JV has had a tough go and not worth repeating. But one more... if we are going to shoot alot more threes and change our offense to more "3s and in the paint", JV becomes less of a fit. JV is good for rebounding misses from the paint (which there tend to be less of) since they come off close to the rim. Long rebounds from threes and long 2s don't tend to go to the bigger slower guy. That's where a guy like TT fits so much better in CLE than a traditional big. It would also be a better fit with more mobile bigs here. Or we change what our bench does and just drive and play him with the bench.

Besides, a backup C can guard Monroe instead. That's a pretty situational reason not to start Ibaka.
RealGM
And1: 66,474

Post#19 » by 720 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm

4 years 80 is not the dumbest contract in the world. Look at what garbage centers get in this league.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#20 » by Throwback24 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:03 pm

dacrusha wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:

He's too weak to play center in yesteryear's version of the game where big lumbering centers were the norm. In this era of small-ball, where athleticism and the ability to defend the 3-point line are paramount, Ibaka is just fine at the position.

And yeah, Moose might use his size to his advantage, but he'll also struggle mightily when asked to defend Ibaka all the way out to the 3-point line.

Very true my friend. But his lateral quicks are also shot, today's bigs would expose him off the dribble time and time again which does nothing to bolster our already weak rim protection with some of the defenders we have on the team. He really has piss poor lateral quicks.

Shaky bball IQ+weak frame+dead legs aren't a good set of attributes with the rising skill level we're seeing at the 4 and 5 positions. He's vulnerable at both facets which is the issue.

I'd much rather see Purtle get burn at the 5 and leave Ibaka at the 4 save for the small ball lineups.

Return to Toronto Raptors