ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Jose won't make the All Star Team...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BasherMan
Junior
And1: 1

Why Jose won't make the All Star Team... 

Post#1 » by BasherMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Fisrt of all, let me say that while a few weeks ago I didn't feel Jose was worthy of an ASG selection, that has changed. Without a doubt, his performance is worthy.

I called in to Full Court Press (on Sirius NBA Radio) about an hour ago, and got Mike Yam and Dee Brown talking about this topic - I'm their regular caller from Toronto, usually on once or twice a week.

Without question, Jason Kidd will be voted in by the fans. Billups is a lock as a coaches selection. Mike and Dee agreed that if there was a third "pure" point guard taken, Jose would be a lock. The problem is, there will most likely not be another pure PG taken. Dee and Mike reiterated that usually only 2 PGs make the team, with other guard selections going to players that can play both the wing and a little point. Unless Kidd or Billups are injured (which I most certainly do not wish upon them), Jose's chances are very slim.

Yam and Dee were going bananas over Jose's performance, as they usually do. As Yam is the Fantasy guy on NBATV, he keeps a close eye on Jose's stats, and expect there to be lots of offers in the offseason (which I am sure BC will match). Dee agreed that his performance of late has earned him "millions of dollars".

Dee and Mike also said that YouTube video or not - Chris Bosh is a mortal lock for the All Star team.
nivisi9
Senior
And1: 396

hollinger 

Post#2 » by nivisi9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm

even though I'm not the biggest fan of Hollinger, (like the majority of basketball fans it seems) that article he made on Jose was damn convincing....he made Calderon sound like a top 5 overall guard in the league, and had the stats to back it up!
BasherMan
Junior

Post#3 » by BasherMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:41 pm

I agree - and Dee Brown talked specifically about Hollinger's article, but IIRC, Hollinger's article did not take fans voting into account, which is why he had Billups as the starter, and Jose as the backup. Kidd is in, and there is no way around that.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#4 » by Indiana Jones » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:45 pm

it's okay if he doesn't make it. there's always a handful of fan selections that don't make sense. but kidd is getting old and jose will get his turn if he stays in the east.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#5 » by C.Boshly » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Just imagining Jose playing in the all-star is hilarous. His game is not flashy at all and if you think he defers now imagine him heading a team with all the best players in the league. :rofl:

If Jose actually made the team he would probably be the first all-star in history to be sent back to the bench within the same season.
yucatan87
Sixth Man
And1: 119

Post#6 » by yucatan87 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 pm

C.Boshly wrote:Just imagining Jose playing in the all-star is hilarous. His game is not flashy at all and if you think he defers now imagine him heading a team with all the best players in the league. :rofl:

If Jose actually made the team he would probably be the first all-star in history to be sent back to the bench within the same season.

Remember Jose's rookie year? He was dribbling around everybody, throwing no-look passes, making flashy, high-risk passes left and right. He was pretty much out of control though, which is why Sam toned him down hard. He can probably switch into that mode for one game if he wants to. Him turning into a methodical, low-risk, pick and roll foil for TJ is a fairly recent development.
senfono
Senior
And1: 11

Post#7 » by senfono » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:03 pm

C.Boshly wrote:Just imagining Jose playing in the all-star is hilarous. His game is not flashy at all and if you think he defers now imagine him heading a team with all the best players in the league. :rofl:

And you're a fool if you think Jose can
Courtside Cynic
Junior
And1: 221

Post#8 » by Courtside Cynic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:10 pm

I like the show, unfortunately I do not get to call in often as I am at work when the live show goes on air. I do often listen to the replay during my lunch hour. They too often talk about Detroit Basketball!!! when Mahorn is on the show, but its great that you can seemingly call in anytime and get a question in whenever you like.

And it is soooo much of a improvement from anything they have on in Vancouver radio.
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#9 » by bill russell » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:12 pm

99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#10 » by 99 Problems » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:14 pm

senfono wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And you're a fool if you think Jose can
BasherMan
Junior

Post#11 » by BasherMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Hey Courtside Cynic - the reason they talk so much Detroit is Mahorn.

Mahorn and Dee Brown wanted to put a wager on the Celts-Piston game a week or so ago, but couldn't come up with a wager.

I called in and they used my idea - Mahorn has to wear a Celtics jersey on Tuesday's with Ahmad this week. If the Pistons had one, Dee would have had to come back from every break on the radio show with the Deee-Troit Basketball chant. :)

To thank me for the idea, Ian Eagle promised me great tickets and a meet and greet the next time he comes to Toronto to cover the Nets.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#12 » by dagger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm a huge Jose booster but this is not his year for the ASG. If he keeps up this level of play he might get serious consideration next year, particularly if we trade him. I thought TJ, the way he was playing in early December, might get into the ASG discussion first. Jose can't get into the ASG if he is backing up TJ.

However, with Ford's health, I suspect we will keep Jose at any price. And Ford would be hard to trade for any decent value. So the two-headed monster will live on until we see a third point guard with some real talent enter the scene.

It may be that the only Raptor point guard who gets into a future ASG will be Forderon!
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm

I love Jose but this grassroots 'Jose for all-star' push is primarily coming from Chuck and Leo. And we all know how "neutral" those 2 can be on Raptor related issues. :roll:

Jose almost certainly won't be an all-star and although Chuck will scream bloody murder when that day comes, it shouldn't be considered a snub either.
BasherMan
Junior

Post#14 » by BasherMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Hater,

I have heard three references from outside of the organization to Jose making the All Star Team.
Jimmy The Greek
Junior

Post#15 » by Jimmy The Greek » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 pm

He deserves to make it but you are right that only 2 points make it usually.

The NBA should seriously consider expanding the rosters to 15 - too many players get left out on a yearly basis.
James699
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#16 » by James699 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:57 pm

who cares if he doesnt make the allstar team. He is our allstar. But remember how many guys in the east play the same position as Calderon (Kidd, Billups, Rondo, Paul). Calderon is not worth mentioning with those other guys.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#17 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Jimmy The Greek wrote:
The NBA should seriously consider expanding the rosters to 15 - too many players get left out on a yearly basis.

I actually thought about this many years ago and I agree with you. Baseball expands their rosters for the big game and even the NFL will go 3 and 4 deep at many positions. Even if the 13-15 guys barely see the floor, it's still nice to be recognized.

On the flip side, it would water down an all-star process that has already produced the likes of Antonio Davis, Dale Davis and Jamal Magloire as Eastern all-stars in recent years and although 3 less players would be getting snubbed, it still wouldn't end the who got snubbed debates. There's always going to be stiff competition for the last couple of spots no matter how many guys you take.
BasherMan
Junior

Post#18 » by BasherMan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm

James699 wrote:who cares if he doesnt make the allstar team. He is our allstar. But remember how many guys in the east play the same position as Calderon (Kidd, Billups, Rondo, Paul). Calderon is not worth mentioning with those other guys.

Firstly, Chris Paul plays in the West.

Secondly, after Billups, Calderon has been the East PG MVP. Rondo, however, is not worth mentioning in that group.
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#19 » by T.Duncan21 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 pm

BasherMan wrote:Hater,

I have heard three references from outside of the organization to Jose making the All Star Team.
I've heard 5 references that have said the Bargnani is a bust... Kapono got overpaid... the raptors wont make the playoffs... Steve Nash shouldn't have gotten any of the MVP's... Boston was overrated and wont be that good.

My point is that all sorts of articles out there and in the end they're just peoples opinions and there will always be 2 sides to the argument... Typically with one side dominating the other. I'm sure you'll find some Jose should make the all star team but the majority will show otherwise and seriously... Jose is the 3rd best PG in the East right now but he is not all star calibre YET. The gap between Billups and Jose is too great, which is why no other PG will make the team. This doesn't mean that Jose is not a good player... it's just that there are so many players that are better than him. I can go into further detail in regards to why he shouldn't make the allstar squad but I'd think after
gusguy
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by gusguy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Yet he may be the only player in the All-star game that can claim to be a world champ. Imagine that.

Return to Toronto Raptors