ImageImageImageImageImage

Calderon's stats when he was the main PG last year

s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Re: Calderon's stats when he was the main PG last year 

Post#21 » by s e n s i » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Not to mention the 17/12 he put up in that win in NO. 22/10 against Portland and then 24/13 against Boston. All big wins. Yikes almost.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#22 » by ghuytro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 pm

jonny three time wrote:Just look for yourselves...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/ ... T.SmOubwM6

This stuff has actually been discussed to death but it always happened in Ford/Jose threads. Nothing really new here.

1) Look at what exactly for ourselves based on the link you provided?
2) This is not a TJ/Jose thread - the OP even said so
3) This actually has not been done to death in terms of predicting Jose's next year stats.
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#23 » by JJWong17 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 pm

I like it! His ability to hit the 3 (especially during the playoffs) were a huge surprise to me. I didn't doubt his jumper (not even in the first year) but I always assumed his range was rather limited. He sure as hell showed me.
HighOctane
Lead Assistant
And1: 363

Post#24 » by HighOctane » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 pm

supersub15 wrote:
thesciencedroppa wrote:Against which teams? I'm assuming that's in front of you SS, but if not, well...

Wins against quality teams: Cleveland, Dallas, New Orleans, San Antonio, Boston
We won also won against middling teams, like Portland, Washington, Indiana, etc.

Losses against quality teams: Clevaland, Boston, Houston, Phoenix, Detroit (2), LA Lakers

These were great games to win. I remember Calderon against Boston and New Orleans playing fantastic.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#25 » by Chevy Chase » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:03 pm

SS can you post how many games were played when he tied his left shoe first vs. the right.

More seriously, I tend to agree with the Doctor. I think Calderon was really pushing himself for that stretch, expecting TJ to come back any day. I think we all agree that Calderon faded towards the end of the season. Perhaps this was part of his willingness to give up the starters role.

I also agree that they may not give him an assist with passes to JO since he wont score the ball directly from the pass as we would often see on the pick and roll. I do think his 3 point shot attempts will go way up as him and JO play inside out/reset like what you would often see TP and TD doing in San A.

I hope he regains his desire to use his outside hand layup move next year. He stopped doing it after two consecutive swats by DH in last years playoffs.
TdotO
Rookie
And1: 5

Post#26 » by TdotO » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 pm

I fully expect a 16 ppg 10 apg with 1.5 stls a game....he has the tools and the drive to do so!
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#27 » by cdel00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 pm

TdotO wrote:I fully expect a 16 ppg 10 apg with 1.5 stls a game....he has the tools and the drive to do so!

I love the fact that you included a 50% increase in steals :)
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#28 » by Reignman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 pm

I'd love to see Jose average atleast 14/9 for the season with his high percentages. My main concern is for him to stop pulling out of fast breaks for fear of incurring a turnover (I think all the attention he was getting about his Ass/to ratio got to him) and for him to start fighting through screens on defense. If he can pick up those 2 things I'd be extremely happy. Actually, I'd also like for him to double hard rather than getting caught in no man's land. He just needs to pick up his aggressiveness on both ends of the court.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#29 » by cb4_89 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 pm

if jose puts up 16 and 10 then hes our third all star and we don't even need another one (though it would help).
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,094

Post#30 » by deck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:17 pm

I feel like Calderons Assists and his Assist to Turnover ratio were some what inflated last year due to our stallar 3pt shooting. It is easy to get alot of assists without turnovers when all you have to do is swing it to the next guy on the perimeter. If Parker and Kapono continue to hit @ a high rate next year, I expect Calderon's assist numbers to remain strong.

As for scoring, I am not concerned about him increasing his points per game. Alot of people are calling for him to be more aggressive offensively and to take more shots. Personally, I think he did an excellent job last year of taking the right shots. It is very important to have a point guard that keeps people involved in the game offensively. Players who are getting touches on offence tend to play harder on defence. Calderon is very good at ensuring everyone gets touches.

It is absurd how excited I am for this season. I hit realgm at least 15 times a day looking for the smallest bit of news about the raps.
JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#31 » by JL5 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm thinking his ppg goes down, but his apg goes up. Like SS says though, I have no problem with his ppg going down whatsoever. If he averages around 10ppg and 13ppg, I'd be ecstatic.
David_edlp
Junior
And1: 2

Post#32 » by David_edlp » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Calderon will be the starting point guard in the next all star game.. I bet that.!

All prepare ... this will be the JOSE CALDERON¡s season
Respect
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#33 » by Respect » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:19 pm

supersub15 wrote:
5DOM wrote:thx.

and can you please post the team record during that period?

18 wins, 12 losses

I just talked to Kreskin and he said that based upon these numbers & the addition of JO, he is extrapolating a 54 win season. Win percentage of .658, a trade deadline addition, third place finish in the East. Eastern Conference Finals.
Korr
Veteran
And1: 1,367

Post#34 » by Korr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 pm

Respect wrote:
supersub15 wrote:
5DOM wrote:thx.

and can you please post the team record during that period?

18 wins, 12 losses

I just talked to Kreskin and he said that based upon these numbers & the addition of JO, he is extrapolating a 54 win season. Win percentage of .658, a trade deadline addition, third place finish in the East. Eastern Conference Finals.

what's the track record on this kreskin character?
Bryans_Collar
Veteran

Post#35 » by Bryans_Collar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:35 am

He is the perfect fit given we have JO now.

1. When you have 2 bigs who score off post ups and a face up midrange game (as opposed to running and dunking like beasts), you absolutely want a PG who isn't going to waste any possessions pushing the ball in transition ..... this fits Jose perfectly, he's very conservative and doesn't make any boneheaded plays, gets us into our sets early, doesn't look for his shot without first looking for CB4, etc.

2. That 3pt % is so ridonkulously good. I'm kinda salivating at the thought of Bosh & JO flanked by 3 guys who all shoot way over 40% from 3!
They're going to be draining open jumpers ALL NIGHT

:hoop:
Bargnani PER
2007 - 12.9
2008 - 10.7
Hollinger predicted 2009 - 11.8
Bryans_Collar HOPES FOR 2009 - 17.0
competitor
Banned User

Post#36 » by competitor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:45 am

OK guys... just to re-enforce a point I believe Bryans_Collar made, I believe Calderon is perfect for our new offense. He always looks to dump the ball into the paint, and never neglects Bosh when he was feeling it. Whereas the other point guard who will remain unnamed would sometimes ignore the hot hand, Calderon rewards his bigs for getting good post position, and even on the kickout, is not shy to dump it back in on the re-post.

Colangelo is a very smart and shrewd man - after the decision was made to keep Calderon, he was thrilled to hear that he could get another established post scorer in return for the unnamed point guard.

One thing that I think really hurt Jose was when he wasn't playing those important minutes down the stretch, in crunch time, or when the team needed a lift. He might not be a creator and clutch scorer in the mold of Brandon Roy, but he definitely likes having the ball at the end of games, to find his team the RIGHT shot, one they are comfortable with, or even to drill a long shot. Although we might not have seen it last year, I believe that Calderon has big chipoles, and we he will truly thrive again this year.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#37 » by tk76 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:10 am

Calderon is a great fit for your offense. He doesn't have to break down his defender like TJ did to create offense. He just has to make sound decisions, hit jumpers and pass to other shooters.

But before you have him cast for the HOF, please keep in mind that the Raptors jump shooting style of offense inflates PG stats. On other teams PG's don't always pass to other jumps shooters. Jump shooters create easy assists, and are usually easier to pass to than cutters, so you also get less T.O.'s.

No way Calderon would gets 10 APG on a team with poor jump shooters. Also his FG% would go down.

Look at the Sixers (whio I know well.) Andre Miller had to completely change his game last year because they had no post players and no shooters (worst in the pos and 3pt in the NBA.) He had a great season, but his normal 8-10 assists dropped below 7. Didn't mean he created less, he just wasn't rewarded with easy/cheap assists by passing to 3 pt shooters or automatic scorers in the paint.

Calderon should again put up great numbers this year- and it is a credit to him- but you can't directly compare assist and TO numbers for point guards without looking at their teammmates.
ghuytro
RealGM

Post#38 » by ghuytro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 am

tk76 wrote:No way Calderon would gets 10 APG on a team with poor jump shooters. Also his FG% would go down.

Stop the presses. A point guard's assist totals might go down if they play with players who can't shoot??

Quick, someone pass this on to John Hollinger so he can incorporate this revelation into his statistical models.

And if you think that all Calderon does all game long is casually move the ball up the floor and lazily dump it off to jump shooters or make easy passes into the post, or that he's incapable of driving and finishing, then I don't know what to say other than you really don't know that much about his game.

A few highlights - he does a lot of what you see in those pretty much every game (aside from the blocks).

Jose wins it against Boston
Jose crosses Ridnour on his ass
Jose blocks Gerald Wallace and oops to Bosh
Jose blocks Okafor
Difficult pass to Moon on the break
Drive and oop to Moon
Baseline drive and dish to Bargnani for jam

He's a PG that makes players better rather than a PG that is made to look better by good players.
Bryans_Collar
Veteran

Post#39 » by Bryans_Collar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 am

ghuytro wrote:
tk76 wrote:And if you think that all Calderon does all game long is casually move the ball up the floor and lazily dump it off to jump shooters or make easy passes into the post, or that he's incapable of driving and finishing, then I don't know what to say other than you really don't know that much about his game.

I like Jose a lot, but to suggest that he's a wizard in the open court is ridiculous. It's not even close to his strong suit.
Bargnani PER
2007 - 12.9
2008 - 10.7
Hollinger predicted 2009 - 11.8
Bryans_Collar HOPES FOR 2009 - 17.0
ghuytro
RealGM

Post#40 » by ghuytro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:24 am

Bryans_Collar wrote:I like Jose a lot, but to suggest that he's a wizard in the open court is ridiculous. It's not even close to his strong suit.

I never suggested or insinuated that - not sure where you get "open court wizard" from my post.

tk76 is basically insinuating that you could interchange any number of different unspectacular PGs into the Toronto system and that they would benefit from our shooters and being able to feed Bosh in the post and as a result, be made to look better than they actually are. He's basically saying Jose is an overrated and replaceable cog in our offense.

Jose is neither a wizard nor robotic nor is he a replaceable, interchangeable part. He's an integral part of the Raptors offense. We wouldn't be the same team without him and we'll be a better team for him.

Return to Toronto Raptors