ImageImageImageImageImage

Jose Calderon - Raptors' Most Important Player?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Jose Calderon - Raptors' Most Important Player? 

Post#141 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 pm

I actually think the team is better off with a healthy Jose in the lineup. I just don't think they're that much worse with him out of the lineup and other significantly lesser players in his place. If that's the case, and there is some evidence to suggest that it might indeed be so, then moving Jose for a player at a position of need who better fits the rest of the roster makes a lot of sense.
Bucket! Bucket!
WildWolfdog
Junior
And1: 293

Post#142 » by WildWolfdog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Reignman wrote:
WildWolfdog wrote:
Reignman wrote:LOL @ you for calling others dumb. You do realize that Calderon, Ukic and Solomon aren't the only point guards in the league right? Or maybe you don't based on your post.

These are the types of posts that make people look stupid. Don't you think we could trade for a point guard who could fill in the role adequately? Someone on a cheaper contract while we move Jose to fill a huge hole on the wings. If anything, the last few games have shown we don't need a superstar at the point. A rookie and a Euroleague journeyman have filled in the role adequately. Now imagine we bring in someone like a Earl Watson or a Duhon-type of player who have played in the L for a while, don't you think that would work?

Really? So tell me what other PG we can get who's as good as Calderon only younger, and on a cheaper contract that other teams would be willing to trade. Because there is no other way to fill out the wings without trading Jose and giving the reigns to a rookie and a PG that most wanted to crucify after the Bucks game.

A couple of years ago the Raptors played well even though Bosh was injured so I guess that means it just showed we can play without Bosh and we should've traded him to fill other needs.

Please, do tell because I'm very curious.

First of all, I don't even think Calderon is that good. With his short comings on the defensive end and his passivity on offense, I could probably name quite a few point guards I'd rather have. But seeing as how we've played the last few games, a guy like Watson would fit the bill. He can play some defense and I'm sure he could average the 10 - 12 ppg that Jose gives us, plus he's on a short contract at about $6 mil per. This gives Roko some time to develop and when Watson expires in 2010, he can take over the reigns.

Now imagine what we could do with trades if we make Jose available. We could probably package JK's contract with him for a good wing. That would then leave us with JO's contract to fill any other needs. Options galore.

Calderon has never started and remained starter for a full year. Even this year he's been dealing with injuries for pretty much the whole year and has been no where near 100%. Why do we need to trade him when he's improved by jumps and bounds playing backup minutes up until last year where he shared duties with Ford.

If we trade Calderon we'll have another Billups situation on our hands where he goes somewhere else and excels and leaves us pining for someone like him. Roko can't shoot for **** and we are all ASSUMING that like Calderon he will develop a jump shot. What's to say he won't develop that jump shot? Then what? I mean Shaq has been in the league forever and he's never been a good FT shooter.

Calderon's contract is only about 8 million per year. That's a bargain for what he brings to the table. We can trade JO for a good wing or trade him for Marion and get a good wing in the off season with all the salary we suddenly have. Trading away one of your best players for a wing and opening up another hole is no way to run a team.
Coming on RealGm reminds me how much I hate our **** up annoying tweener "the sky falls everyday in Raptorland" fanbase.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#143 » by Reignman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Calderon can only wish he could impact the game (offensively or defensively) like Billups. Also, IMO, Calderon is probably very close to his ceiling. I don't see where the improvement will come from. He's not some young buck on the way up, this guy is 27 and has played pro ball for quite some time.

Believe me, I wasn't worried about TJ going somewhere and blowing up and I'm not concerned about Jose going somewhere else and blowing up. The wing player that he should bring back would make it very easy for me to forget about Jose.
Aristotle
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#144 » by Aristotle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 am

Reignman wrote:Calderon can only wish he could impact the game (offensively or defensively) like Billups. Also, IMO, Calderon is probably very close to his ceiling. I don't see where the improvement will come from. He's not some young buck on the way up, this guy is 27 and has played pro ball for quite some time.

Believe me, I wasn't worried about TJ going somewhere and blowing up and I'm not concerned about Jose going somewhere else and blowing up. The wing player that he should bring back would make it very easy for me to forget about Jose.

Great post. I agree 100% and to compare Billups to Calderone is an insult. Calderone is a great back-up point nothing more. I don't care about the numbers he is not in the elite class of PG's, rather is an over-hyped Brevin Knight or a poor mans Blake.
Dwane Casey: "Bargnani is our guy, we've got to go with him come hell or high water."
choomag
Starter
And1: 2,006

Post#145 » by choomag » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:00 am

Aristotle wrote:
Reignman wrote:Calderon can only wish he could impact the game (offensively or defensively) like Billups. Also, IMO, Calderon is probably very close to his ceiling. I don't see where the improvement will come from. He's not some young buck on the way up, this guy is 27 and has played pro ball for quite some time.

Great post. I agree 100% and to compare Billups to Calderone is an insult. Calderone is a great back-up point nothing more. I don't care about the numbers he is not in the elite class of PG's, rather is an over-hyped Brevin Knight or a poor mans Blake.

at least spell his name right. CALDERON
Aristotle
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#146 » by Aristotle » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 am

LOL true, I'm an idiot and can't spell but sadly thats just what Jose is; insignificant and doenst really inspire me to care. He just blends in, drops 10 assists but i wouldnt even know he was in the game if it wasnt for the fact the opposing Pg was walking by him or that I felt like it was bad deja vu as he dumped the ball into Bosh on every possession. From now on I will remember that it's CALDERONE . i did it again didnt I, whatever as I said who cares.
Dwane Casey: "Bargnani is our guy, we've got to go with him come hell or high water."
depaso+
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#147 » by depaso+ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:52 am

In the moment in which the correct and constructive critique opens way to the hatred and to badly intention there is not any more to speak.

In this forum there are users of those who are learned in each of his their interventions and always it is pleasing to read them. Unfortunately there are also those who only show their frustrations and ignorance. It doesn't have felt to reason with whom doesn't want to do it.

To the **** they and their putrid conscience.
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#148 » by bane_dd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 am

I miss Jose right now. :(
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 629

Post#149 » by galeon110 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 am

I don't. Ever since he went down, Bargnani's been playing up to potential. Keep him out, trade him for a good wing player and this team's set to go.
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#150 » by power works » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:07 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/wbbasketball

I refer you to Chris Black of T.Jose Calderford who did some interesting work last week breaking down exactly what is different between the current edition of the Raptors -- a long shot for the playoffs - and the previous two playoff-bound seasons has been their point guard play. It's not the only reason, and I encourage you to read the entire post. As a bonus the next post is a break down of Shawn Marion's game, so it's defnitley worth the visit.

But here is a relevent excerpt:

RAPTORS PG PER

08-09: 14.8
07-08: 20.4
06-07: 18.2

Remember, 15 is considered average! So even with one of the league's best in Jose Calderon, Toronto has received below-average point guard play this season.

To put it in perspective, I've looked at this year's PG PER rankings to come up with an NBA player whose rating comes closest to these numbers:

08-09: Kyle Lowry
07-08: Chauncey Billups
06-07: Andre Miller

So two years ago, we were getting a solid, if not spectacular (Andre Miller) level of play from our point guards. Last year, we were getting an MVP type of combined performance from Caldeford. This year, we're getting a journeyman performance.

THE SILVER BULLET

In economics, we learned that education was the silver bullet of development. Educate your country and it effects everything... health, wealth, human rights, etc...

Well, I believe I found the silver bullet to this Raptors team. As much as we want to slag Jamario Moon for taking an ill-advised three, or Chris Bosh for failing in the clutch, the fact is point guard play will be the reason this team goes from the playoffs to the lottery. Can you argue that shoddy point guard play hasn't at least contributed to:
4th quarter struggles
Turnovers
Calderon's injuries
Bosh's struggles

The question now is with Calderon back and as good as ever -- seriously, who goes 15-of-19 from the floor with 18 assists and no turnovers in two games after being hurt for 11 games? -- and Parker seemingly the back-up the Raptors have been missing, can they make a run?

Interesting reading. Pretty convincing that Jose may be the most important player for the Raps. :nod:
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#151 » by bane_dd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Being the only NBA worthy PG the Raptors have, he is unquestionably their most important player. A lot of people here focus on the negatives and his weaknesses but it is obvious that this team does not run well when he is out of the lineup. That's not to say they could never win a game without him; but his presence was instrumental in turning the game in Raptors favor the last two games. Despite what the haters spew on these forums and elsewhere, Calderon is a damn fine PG and is not a finished product yet. A lot of PG qualities come with the wisdom of experience - witness the ascension of Steve Nash and Chauncey Billups in the later stages of their respective careers.

Return to Toronto Raptors