ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we please give the ball to Bargnani more often?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Re: Can we please give the ball to Bargnani more often? 

Post#101 » by Double Helix » Wed Dec 3, 2008 1:16 pm

I sometimes think one of our biggest strengths (3 point shooting from a variety of different players) is starting to tear all of the shooters apart. There's just not enough shots to go around. When we swing the ball around we're being very hesitant now. It's almost as if you can see Calderon thinking, "If I pass to you you're going to shoot a 3, if I pass it to you you're going to shoot a 3... Nahhh, I'll dump it down or shoot the 3 myself."

Mitchell puts a lot of trust in Calderon and a floor general needs versatile players so that he can properly make a decision based on situations.

I just think Calderon doesn't have any more confidence in some of the other shooters on our team than he does himself so he'd almost rather take the shot or give it our big horses in Bosh or O'neal down low. Can't say I totally blame him but that's the problem when you have a ton of guys (Moon, Parker, Kapono, Bargnani) that like to shoot perimeter jumpers. And Bargnani, who really should be better utilized isn't the gunslinger on this team he probably would be on another team with players that prefer to drive and kick a little more.

We all know BC has to bring in more athleticism, dribble penetration and perimeter "D." The problem now is that I suspect the whole league knows this too.
08HEMI
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#102 » by 08HEMI » Wed Dec 3, 2008 1:19 pm

I propose the ball go through Bargnani instead of Bosh. Now I don't mean Bargnani become the #1 scoring option i just would like to see the offense go through him and then end up in Bosh's hands. The reason being is Bosh is just to slow of a decision maker and it is clear to me this system of Jose dribbling for 15 seconds and handing it off to Bosh is not working for anyone. For whatever reason when I see Bargnani getting the ball before anyone else i see this offense begin to click along a little better with everyone getting shots and the ball continously moving where as when we toss it into Bosh the ball usually stops right there.
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Post#103 » by Spragga » Wed Dec 3, 2008 1:30 pm

Its pretty obvious to me that Jose still does not trust Bargs. He works hard to create a target and post position and Jose continues to not pass it to him or waive him off. He's been doing that since last year.
why was hakeem called "the dream"??"

Because it rhymes with 'Olajuwon'.

remember Canadians are just Mexicans with sweaters
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,767

Post#104 » by Zeno » Wed Dec 3, 2008 2:26 pm

Remember 2 seasons ago, when Bosh was asked "When do the Raptors play their best?" and he answered "When we move the ball". Ball movement used to be the basis of this teams success. It's that simple. The thought that this team has played a "euro-style" since that season is a joke.

For a team that has so few players that can hit shots off the dribble, the ball has to move more to create shots. Smitch seemed to realize this two years ago when he abandon the Phoenix style and slowed it down after a 2-8 start. It seems the slow start this year has been mistakenly been blamed on the team playing to slow. Pushing the ball and then taking quick shots is not the answer cause if they miss this teams personnel will be killed in transition.

It's not about pushing the ball for this team. It's about moving it. If they move it, Bargs will get it more often, just like everyone else.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#105 » by J-Roc » Wed Dec 3, 2008 2:31 pm

Warning: Anti-Smitch argument ahead...

It's not even about whether the ball is first passed to AB or CB or whatever. Our team just needs to develop some fluidity to their game. Like, when they come down the floor, the bigs needs to get to the paint and look for matchups. Everyone else needs to quickly realize who has the best matchup, and then clear out. And then the PG needs to figure out the best way to get the ball to that matchup.

I disagree with our usual move of just clearing out and giving the ball to CB even when he far out from the rim or whatever. A good offense is more fluid than that. And it IS awkward when AB is being covered by a smaller player, but instead of exploiting it, we try to do the same things like pick and roll with Jose and CB or dumping the ball to JO when he's 15ft from the rim.
Strategist1
Head Coach
And1: 413

Post#106 » by Strategist1 » Wed Dec 3, 2008 2:37 pm

J-Roc wrote:Warning: Anti-Smitch argument ahead...

It's not even about whether the ball is first passed to AB or CB or whatever. Our team just needs to develop some fluidity to their game. Like, when they come down the floor, the bigs needs to get to the paint and look for matchups. Everyone else needs to quickly realize who has the best matchup, and then clear out. And then the PG needs to figure out the best way to get the ball to that matchup.

I disagree with our usual move of just clearing out and giving the ball to CB even when he far out from the rim or whatever. A good offense is more fluid than that. And it IS awkward when AB is being covered by a smaller player, but instead of exploiting it, we try to do the same things like pick and roll with Jose and CB or dumping the ball to JO when he's 15ft from the rim.

Agreed. BALL MOVEMENT. Fluid passes, CRISP passes. No one should hold the ball for more than 5 seconds. Keep defences on their toes. This is the only way because we don't have dribble penetrators. Feed the post deep and early in the shot clock, work an in and out game, and swing the damn ball.

Our PG holds the ball too long. Our perimeter guys are more like spectators than participants sometimes. They just become jumpshooters in the process.
Prediction
Spurs in 7. Parker MVP. Lebron 6-17fg, 18pt, 8reb, 5 asst in game 7 LOSS.
The Heat will choke!
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#107 » by djsunyc » Wed Dec 3, 2008 2:38 pm

ball movement has made the knicks into a legitimate team while playing undermanned and w/o big time talent.

coaching will go a long way to fix this team.

Return to Toronto Raptors