ImageImageImageImageImage

Anthony Parker Argument

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

wesleybrown
Freshman
And1: 3

Anthony Parker Argument 

Post#1 » by wesleybrown » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:40 am

Hey guys,
so I had an argument with my friends tonight about Anthony Parker.
I explained that I think he stinks right now, he was good, hes awful now.
first of all, hes unathletic, he never drives because he is incapable of beating his man. added to that, he cant even shoot anymore. he sticks to his stupid fadeaway jumper which he never hits and is always a liability on the court. i checked out the raptors plus/minus and hes second last on the raptors only to bargnani, but i think bargnani is last mainly because hes played more with the backups than the starters. my friends told me they think hes good and that hed be a 6th man on any team if not a starter. his defense, which people still are sure is good, is mediocre at best, he gives little effort and always gets beaten easily off the dribble. on nba.com his PER rating when he started for us was last against his opponent in the nba. i believe the opponents PER was 19 about while his was just 11.
can somebody please back me up here because i really get frustrated with people's blindness, the guy cannot play at all!
thanks
Aristotle
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: Anthony Parker Argument 

Post#2 » by Aristotle » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:55 am

His best days are def. behind him. Was a great pick up a couple years ago but agreed, now is a liability and would not start for another team in the association.
Dwane Casey: "Bargnani is our guy, we've got to go with him come hell or high water."
wesleybrown
Freshman

Post#3 » by wesleybrown » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:58 am

hah very true,
i just need some people here to agree so i can show them because i had like 3 other friends tell me how good he is, but im the only die hard raps fan of them and i feel like they were just thinkin bout last year or basically what theyre told.
it is a big misconception that hes a good defender and that hes our best defender.
if you really watch and analyze it you will see that he is always a liability when hes on.
plus, i just checked some more stats of the most effective combos on the raptors and jose and graham are the most effective. every time graham is on it seems like jose finds him cuttin and they get an easy basket, that guy should start.
in every combination though of players, whether it be a 5 man starting line up or which 2 or 3 players play best together, parker is always one of if not the least effective
peteyjones13
Analyst
And1: 357

Post#4 » by peteyjones13 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:00 am

I can't back you up because your wrong. In his first 2 years with the Raps, AP shot 47.5% from the field and 44% from 3's, while averaging 12 and a half points a game. Not bad at all.

He has struggled shooting the ball this year, but he will pick it up. He's forcing it a little bit, taking ridiculous fade-aways that Raps fans actually used to be confident that he'd hit during his first 2 years with us. He could get away with how they looked like low percentage shots in his first 2 years cuz they actually dropped. They're not dropping anymore, and he does need to stop taking low percentage shots.

His shot will improve.

Look, he's not a spectacular player. He's getting older at 33, and OP your right, he can't really beat his man off the dribble.

Listen the Raps don't have a spectacular 2-3 that can beat his man off the dribble.

However, AP is still a decent player, and unfortunately, on the Raps, he should start over JK. I was excited when we got JK, but now I realize that he NEEDS to stop trying all this garbage on offense, and has to stick to spotting up for 3's in transition, and chilling by the 3 point line in halfcourt offense. DON"T DO ANYTHING ELSE JK!!! And AP should definitly start over JK.

But no, your wrong OP, AP's not as bad as you think he is. He'll pick it up and prove you wrong. Let's just prey that Jay has the intellgence to start AP over JK, and not just say they're both good basketball players like a moron.
wesleybrown
Freshman

Post#5 » by wesleybrown » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:12 am

haha u didnt really prove anythin, he shot well because he was solid, he stinks now.
no nba player should have to rely on a stupid fadeaway deep shot especially when u cant hit it.
the fact is, he hasnt hit it, and when thats legitimately your only option and youre missing, you stink.
just like JK, i agree with u fully there.
Jk isnt even shootin well, and thats all he can realistically do. hes slow on D and if u notice he always gets lots of fouls because his man beats him and he never hits a clutch shot, never.
in fact tho, our most efficient and effective starting 5, according to statistics (plus/minus basically) is the starting lineup with moon and kapono there.
i would rather kapono there because at least he can hit threes a lot better than parker and his defense is made up for by our new system, even if JO isnt there, its still better with him cuz he brings some offense.
the problem rite now is calderon is hurt, and if he doesnt play again tomorrow, were screwed because none of our 2/3s can create
btw, 3s in transition? no good team goes for threes in transition, in that sense, were a joke! u take it to the hoop and get a lay in, and neither parker nor kapono can do that.
listen, i hope parker does well, but he really stinks, have u not noticed that we start losing every time hes on? turnovers, missed shots, bad defense, every damn time! start watching next game with an open mind and u will see how bad he is.
peteyjones13
Analyst

Post#6 » by peteyjones13 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:23 am

Listen, he's sucked this year. I don't debate that.

However, with the way he played for 160 games for us in 2 years, and how phenomenal he was in Israel before that, I'm not going to write him off because of a bad start to the season.

OP, have you noticed that we've sucked since Kapono started starting over AP. And since he was taken away from his starting role, he's come in and rushed shots a little bit, and has tried to force his offense. He has sucked.

But he is still a good shooter, and I am confident that he will pick it up. If he shoots 39% the rest of the year, then you''ll have been proven right. But I am confident that he won't.

And by the way, your wrong. AP is able to finish layups on a fast break. Your right that JK can't.

And forget about the statistics that say we're more effective with Kapono in there. That's garbage, we're more effective with AP in there. The statistics probably say that because JK has started and played with Jose, Bosh more than AP. And hey, the statistics say that, because your right AP has sucked this year.

But I'm quite confident that he'll get back to the player he was the last 2 years. You agreed that he was good then, but he sucks now. You don't just forget how to play basketball overnight. He still has the same capabilites. And yes, he's older but he's 33, not 53. He's still in good shape. There's no reason he can't get back to being the extremely solid, underrated player that was a HUGE part of our success over the last 2 years.
peteyjones13
Analyst

Post#7 » by peteyjones13 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:24 am

OP, I agree what you said about Joey though. Jay, please please FREE JOEY!!!! He should play more than JK for god sakes. He does EVERYTHING so much better than JK besides shoot.
wesleybrown
Freshman

Post#8 » by wesleybrown » Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:31 am

he was part of it, and it does seem strange that he could become so much worse so quickly.
u have a point, and u could be rite that hell pick it up, but rite now, he really stinks.
btw, when ap gets a lay in, he misses sometimes because hes shocked himself that he actually has a lay in haha. he never gets to the hoop, the other day he missed an easy lay in because he couldnt believe that he actually cut to the bucket and got by his man.
another problem he has which triano has pointed out is that he, and the other stiffs we have, look at triano after they get scored on instead of just continuing to play.
the difference ive realized for AP is, partly age, but mostly that he was hitting his shots then so he seemed solid, but he wasnt. he was just another mediocre player and part of our problem, another soft stiff. rite now, u cannot argue that hes good. if u watch raptors games and look at his stats and the team stats when hes on and such, it is obvious that hes terrible. period. i dont care about last season, rite now, hes simply bad. now common people help me out here!
i hope we get rid of him before the end of the season so we can get somethin for him rather than just throw him away after the season.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#9 » by Kurtz » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:00 am

He was great 2 years ago. Our 2nd best player.

Now he's our worst player (Solomon/Hassan aside). You're absolutely right. He can't shoot, rebound, make plays, and his defense is barely clinging on to average...and that's being generous. He's got quick hands on D, but slow legs, and for some idiotic reason insists on helping off his man, despite the fact that he can never recover.

I've never seen a player fall off this quickly without suffering through major injuries.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#10 » by Death Knight » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:05 am

Parker is the one that always leaves Ray Allen to roam somewhere else, thus giving Ray Allen open shots.

Nuff said!
wesleybrown
Freshman

Post#11 » by wesleybrown » Sun Jan 4, 2009 11:06 am

ya its pretty ridiculous, and youre rite about his d, hes always helping even tho im sure triano tells him not to, theres only so much a coach can do i guess haha.
and ya, leavin the greatest shooter ever open, not such a good idea
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#12 » by 5DOM » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:19 pm

i dont know who AP is guarding most of the time
hell, HE probably doesnt know it himself.
i dont care about his offense, but he STINKS on defense.
J08
Banned User
And1: 0

reply to parker arguemnet 

Post#13 » by J08 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 2:39 pm

mods dont lock please i had a question that was bugging me from a earlier thread that said anthony parker is useless now. my questions is in "weslybrown" your opinion who is our best perimeter defender and dont say moon because he is a helpside defender.

any combo of wing we put the other teams wing will be more effective
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Re: reply to parker arguemnet 

Post#14 » by supersub15 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 2:40 pm

Do you think it's wise to open a thread to discuss an argument in another thread? I'll leave this open for 2 minutes, then I'm merging...
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#15 » by Natural11 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:41 pm

He's a good enough player defensively to be a bench guy, but his 40 min days are probably behind him. It's just a matter of who sucks worse right now, and if JK isn't doing **** offensively, we may as well just start AP so we at least get some defense. His offensive game may come around, while JK isn't going to get any better defensively.
Shak23
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#16 » by Shak23 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:21 pm

I agree with everything but the effort part.
Brezec = Euro Oakley
metaldaze
Senior
And1: 0

Post#17 » by metaldaze » Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:26 pm

Natural11 wrote:He's a good enough player defensively to be a bench guy, but his 40 min days are probably behind him. It's just a matter of who sucks worse right now, and if JK isn't doing **** offensively, we may as well just start AP so we at least get some defense. His offensive game may come around, while JK isn't going to get any better defensively.

+1 Sad but true as a coach with this roster your choices are limited.
Nightmare on Bay ST a MLSE production starring Bryan Colangelo ,Mauricio Gherardini ,Andrea Bargnani and Vincenzo Esposito.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#18 » by J-Roc » Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:30 pm

He's not very good. But neither were Alvin Williams or Mo Pete, and everyone seems to remember those guys for more than they were. AP is just a good guy you can't help but cheer for.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#19 » by Phenomenologist » Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:51 pm

peteyjones13 wrote:I can't back you up because your wrong. In his first 2 years with the Raps, AP shot 47.5% from the field and 44% from 3's, while averaging 12 and a half points a game. Not bad at all.

He has struggled shooting the ball this year, but he will pick it up. He's forcing it a little bit, taking ridiculous fade-aways that Raps fans actually used to be confident that he'd hit during his first 2 years with us. He could get away with how they looked like low percentage shots in his first 2 years cuz they actually dropped. They're not dropping anymore, and he does need to stop taking low percentage shots.

His shot will improve.

Look, he's not a spectacular player. He's getting older at 33, and OP your right, he can't really beat his man off the dribble.

Listen the Raps don't have a spectacular 2-3 that can beat his man off the dribble.

However, AP is still a decent player, and unfortunately, on the Raps, he should start over JK. I was excited when we got JK, but now I realize that he NEEDS to stop trying all this garbage on offense, and has to stick to spotting up for 3's in transition, and chilling by the 3 point line in halfcourt offense. DON"T DO ANYTHING ELSE JK!!! And AP should definitly start over JK.

But no, your wrong OP, AP's not as bad as you think he is. He'll pick it up and prove you wrong. Let's just prey that Jay has the intellgence to start AP over JK, and not just say they're both good basketball players like a moron.

It's strange how you manage to openly disagree with the OP, yet provide nothing but evidence in favour of his point.
Garmfay
Assistant Coach
And1: 510

Post#20 » by Garmfay » Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:55 pm

5DOM wrote:i dont know who AP is guarding most of the time
hell, HE probably doesnt know it himself.
i dont care about his offense, but he STINKS on defense.

Agreed. Watching him just standing around and give pretty bad help defence and leaving the superstar wing wide open shots just makes me pissed.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
"The Lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep"

Return to Toronto Raptors