ImageImageImageImageImage

Jason Kapono: Slump-dog Millionaire

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tommy Gun
Head Coach
And1: 2

Re: Jason Kapono: Slump-dog Millionaire 

Post#21 » by Tommy Gun » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:03 am

knickerbocker2k2 wrote:
Sure that means teams won't be doubling on Bosh, right? No not necessarily. Teams just decide to leave somebody else open (ala Moon, Bargs, JO, Parker, Graham, etc). The best way to create open shots for him is have low post presence. He can be the post entry passer (ala to Shaq) and that would make it extremely difficult to double without leaving him open. Problem is we rely on pick/screen to get the ball to Bosh since he is not really post up threat. And Kapono can't run the pick/roll.

He cant even do that it seems. He's a terrible entry passer
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#22 » by djsunyc » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:04 am

great thread title.
Ramen Monster
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Ramen Monster » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:32 am

And to think I was hanging smitch for not starting him/playing him more often. Now I know why.

Kapono is fine coming off the bench and in certain situations where you need to stretch the defense; We'll use him like a daquean cook or a kyle korver, just someone you bring off the bench under very special conditions/situations. Defenders still have to stay at home on him, because he's still lights out (when he's open, lol), and it allows space for Bosh/JO to operate or be available for the kickout.

But he has far too many deficiencies/limitations to be a full time starter. I admit he sometimes makes some decent passes, but to make those passes he needs to be handling the ball, and, he's not someone I want handling the ball, ever. Before he can make any sort of play handing it off to bosh or whomever, he needs to get past a) his patented pump fake travel .. b) running out of room to dribble and turning it over c) his semi effective floater. He's not athletic enough to finish around the rim either. I'd say he should stick to just the catch and shoot, despite his somewhat decent passing ability, lol.

Kapono is fine, you just need to understand his limits. He can have a small role on the team and still be effective (although slightly overpaid, regardless :p)
Duncanfan
Banned User

Post#24 » by Duncanfan » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:27 am

Ramen Monster wrote:And to think I was hanging smitch for not starting him/playing him more often. Now I know why.

Kapono is fine coming off the bench and in certain situations where you need to stretch the defense; We'll use him like a daquean cook or a kyle korver, just someone you bring off the bench under very special conditions/situations. Defenders still have to stay at home on him, because he's still lights out (when he's open, lol), and it allows space for Bosh/JO to operate or be available for the kickout.

But he has far too many deficiencies/limitations to be a full time starter. I admit he sometimes makes some decent passes, but to make those passes he needs to be handling the ball, and, he's not someone I want handling the ball, ever. Before he can make any sort of play handing it off to bosh or whomever, he needs to get past a) his patented pump fake travel .. b) running out of room to dribble and turning it over c) his semi effective floater. He's not athletic enough to finish around the rim either. I'd say he should stick to just the catch and shoot, despite his somewhat decent passing ability, lol.

Kapono is fine, you just need to understand his limits. He can have a small role on the team and still be effective (although slightly overpaid, regardless :p)

Exactly! I think we all were fooled by his 50% 3pt percentage and his one good year on a horrible Heat team. The guy make 10 bad plays for every good one he makes. Problem is, we don't really have a choice but to play him. I doubt there would be many takers for a one-dimensional player making 6+ mill per year.
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#25 » by nizaam » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:32 am

Jason Sucks-ono
orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#26 » by orangutooth » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:26 am

the guy has had enough open shots and he doesn't stick them. all this crying about the coaching is disgusting me. we pay this guy 6 million dollars! 6 million dollars to shoot 3's and since triano he has had plenty of shots and hasn't done a thing with them. if the guy needs that much of a better roster or shots that are that much more open then how is he better than any other 3 point shooting scrub in the league. there are dozens of three point shooting role players who you can get for under the mle every year if you want a guy who can only hit shots when he is wide, wide open.

shooting is his single talent and the guy is shooting 40% as a starter? this is a player worth 6 million dollars?
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#27 » by v1n5anity » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:28 am

there's a thing called slump. but yeah what I don't like is that he doesn't shoot 3's. he's always dribbling, trying to make layups, dribble-shoot instead of catch & shoot. that's why he's so useless. But I'd rather him take shots & miss than not take them. One of these days he'll get out of his slump. All he has to do is keep shooting & stop trying to make plays for others.
reck0n3r
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#28 » by reck0n3r » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:29 am

I stopped after "he isn't a great shooter".

No offense, but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in my entire life.

Edit: and upon skimming through some of the other comments in this thread, you also fall into that category.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#29 » by Egg Nog » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:15 am

Yeah he's in a bit of a slump, but as usual a lot of you are overdoing it.

1) Don't be so quick to blame Triano. Keep in mind during his first few games after Triano took over, he had games of 7, 9, and 7 threes attempted. That 9 3fga was a career high.

2) Calderon has now been out for the length of the average Raps fan's memory. This is a huge factor explaining why Kapono has not been seeing as many looks.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#30 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jan 7, 2009 8:02 am

wasn't so bad in the playoffs last season and he'll catch fire sooner or later with Triano's offense starting to find its groove.
from24ft
Banned User
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#31 » by from24ft » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:01 am

OT

The movie slumdog-millonaire is total cheese. Amazing cinematography, sound track top notch. The premise of the story superb. The actual story formage classic, but and wait... Bolywood is kind on known for extra formage, it is an Indian Original. I swear, afterwards I did not feel scammed, it was entertainment.

I watched it with my ex and my current interest, they thought I was insensitive.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#32 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:23 am

yeah, the last 20 minutes of the movie really could have been better, for me anyways.
from24ft
Banned User
Location: doing funnels and the kozak dance at the company picnic

Post#33 » by from24ft » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:42 am

Tropa de Elite (2007) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/

Watch this, this won the german film festival. Superb! It starts slow, but kicks in hard.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#34 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:28 pm

I'd rather have Luke Jackson instead of Jason Kapono TBH
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#35 » by The Duke » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:53 pm

Whats with the random movie references in thread titles... starting to catch on from HP Dark Night quote
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#36 » by J-Roc » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:55 pm

RapsFanTO wrote:what movie?

It's an Indian movie. You've been advised. Or warned.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#37 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:13 pm

The team needs a deadly 3-point shooter off the bench--so the idea of Kapono is a good one. But, in practice, he has had one good game in the last month and he has been logging a lot of minutes. When was the last time he hit a big 3 point basket near the end of the game? He's also good for 2 often crucial turnovers in most games. I loved Dell Curry and Donyell Marshall, they were assassins--Kapono, by contrast, is the Kris Humphreys of the sniper set.
“The North Remembers"
rapluva
Analyst
And1: 938

Post#38 » by rapluva » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:05 pm

from24ft wrote:
RapsFanTO wrote:what movie?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/

(looks interesting, downloading it now... although the reviews state that it is a little cheesy and bows to western culture... still interesting though)

I've actually watched this movie... and if you want to see what the real Mumbai is...you've got to see this movie... recently Russell Peters visited India and made a joke about it (Red, White and Brown). He stated that when he got off the plane, he got this wind blow in his face and it smelled like ****...honestly, there is a slum close to the airport and there are grown men sitting in fields taking a poop sitting right across from each other...this is no joke...it's a fact...

The movie even starts off with the kids from the slum playing cricket on the airport runway, that's how close it is to the airport.

The movie will make it to the Oscars...and the guy in the movie is just amazing... (first movie) so is the gal (her first movie too). As for some of the stuff you see in the movie, it's actually true about what those kids go thorugh.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#39 » by Southward1 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:19 pm

-Kapono should play 15 minutes tops!
-He is a guy who comes off the bench takes 4-5 shots in 3 minutes and leaves. He is also a player that gets his minutes distributed based off matchups. Basically if the raps don't need a shooter, don't play him at all. If they do, use him in situations.
-He's a 9-10th player
-He is worth the minimum or maybe a bit more
-Shooters are always available in free agency so he's easily replaced
-He's a horrible defender which makes him worse than most shooters
-He can't create his own shot, but constantly tries. (and fails)
-His bb iq is extremely low
-He's a above average passer, but that doesn't really help his role
-If this team was doing well and he was playing this way, he'd be out of the rotation
-If he played back in 06/07 for this team he'd literally get no playing time
-He's one of the reasons this team doesn't have the ball movement it had during the 47 win team
-He's worth absolutely nothing on the market and if a team ever offers a expiring, take it and run.
-that is all
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#40 » by Gold Chain » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:28 pm

I mean he is not my favorite player but we can put JK in the same pot as Andrea, Joey etc.

If JK goes off for 22 points tonight, he will be annointed a starter by the some fans and of course that much-needed wing production.

He is a good player playing in a system that does not benefit his major strength.

Return to Toronto Raptors