ImageImageImageImageImage

Doug Smith: Dallas Trade is Nonsense

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dub_P
Senior
And1: 6

Doug Smith: Dallas Trade is Nonsense 

Post#1 » by Dub_P » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:40 pm

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

The deal is not going to happen, was never going to happen, will never happen and you can all go back to your regularly-scheduled lives, as I will with a visit to Super Son's orthodontist and my doctor, exactly the way I was going to spend an off-day before I got sidetracked with this garbage.

I have no idea why the story was made up or out there in the first place but one guy I talked to around the league used the words "total" and "nonsense" in a conversation.

Think about it: Yes, Howard is good, although many will tell you his skills and impact are declining. Diop has perhaps the worst contract for value in the league with four years and about $25 million to run -- after this year - and a trade kicker that increases the value. This for what? A rebound or two, maybe a point or two a game? Come on, are you serious? Antoine Wright? If he gets another NBA contract after next year I'll be shocked.

For what? The best young big man on Toronto's roster and the most valuable expiring contract? Do you all think Bryan has lost his mind?

I have no idea who the writer is or what hoopsworld is or why this fiction got out there but it did and it's ridiculous. End of rant.

Well, sort of.

This is a prime example of why you should trust and know the sources of your news and speculation. And it's precisely why I don't traffic in fantasy.
Morena R
Analyst
And1: 1
Location: Born in Santo Dominigo,Dominican Rep, But I Go To School In Toronto

Re: Doug Smith: Dallas Trade is Nonsense 

Post#2 » by Morena R » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:42 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't take doug seriously?
Turnpikebandit
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 300

Post#3 » by Turnpikebandit » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:42 pm

Doug Smith wrote:
Well, sort of.

This is a prime example of why you should trust and know the sources of your news and speculation. And it's precisely why I don't traffic in fantasy.

Uhh... Doug, your hypocrisy's hanging out a little....
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#4 » by s e n s i » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:43 pm

Timmies ran out of blueberry fritters I guess..
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Paradokz
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#5 » by Paradokz » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:43 pm

Dub_P wrote:http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

For what? The best young big man on Toronto's roster and the most valuable expiring contract? Do you all think Bryan has lost his mind?

chris bosh just said WHAT? :o
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,812

Post#6 » by Duffman100 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:43 pm

edit: damn Paradokz beat me to it

Isn't Chris Bosh the Raptors best young big man?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:44 pm

The deal is not going to happen, was never going to happen, will never happen and you can all go back to your regularly-scheduled lives

I actually agree with Douger here...... but somewhere SMitch is laughing. :rofl:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
talha_raps
Pro Prospect
And1: 404

Post#8 » by talha_raps » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:45 pm

*waits for him to confirm the deal being discussed in his next blog*
Russ369
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Russ369 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:46 pm

Doug Smith is a grumpy old party pooper!
notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Post#10 » by notic101 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:46 pm

Why is he getting all worked up?

He must trudge along in the "fantasy-land" that is RealGM to come out so strongly opinionated of this deal. It's just a rumour, like most of us assumed when we glanced at the source. Don't let the number of thread pages fool you, Raps fans are like vultures on scavenged meat.

Something tells me old Dougie's insurance doesn't cover the braces cost for Super Son.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#11 » by Gold Chain » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree with Smith, this deal made no sense from the get-go and we see a fake story from Hoopsworld every week.
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#12 » by underdog33 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:46 pm

This trade isn't going down. Rumours are rumours
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#13 » by SharoneWright » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:49 pm

one guy I talked to around the league used the words "total" and "nonsense" in a conversation.

Doug's source?
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Jason Michaels
Junior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Jason Michaels » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:49 pm

This deal may or may not be in the works, but Doug Smith constantly loses credibility with his hasty, rant-style reactions to stories or rumors such as these. It's almost as if he's pissed off that he didn't get the nugget first, or that only rumors he breaks are genuine...like the time he told us Smitch wasn't going anywhere "according to his sources in the organization" - the SAME day Smitch was fired. I appreciate the blogging and mostly useful information, but it's high time he stopped acting like he was "in the know" of everything the Raptors do.
Ogopogo
Junior
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Ogopogo » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:49 pm

Smith wrote a couple of days/weeks ago that Colangelo may go after Joe Smith. He is the one who worth our most valuable expiring?

Smith wrote a couple of days/weeks ago that Bryan keeping his eye on the market and making some calls to see how valuable is Bargnani for other teams. If Josh Howard (an excellent on-ball defender, a slasher, a good contract) is not the man than who the hell is? Kobe Bryant? LeBron James?

This is totally BS.
Tanking is for pussies.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,569

Post#16 » by dTox » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:53 pm

like i said earlier, my fart will make more noise than this trade rumor
TBZ for the win
shurikn
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#17 » by shurikn » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:54 pm

The best young big man on Toronto's roster?? ROFL! more like 3rd best... or 2nd worst
joeyt618
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#18 » by joeyt618 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:55 pm

Whether this rumour has any legs or not, Doug should try to tone down his ranting a tad bit. This will look REALLY bad on his part if this trade does indeed go down.
Scott Carefoot
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#19 » by Scott Carefoot » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:56 pm

In Doug's defence, it is pretty irritating that sites like Hoopsworld make up ridiculous rumors like this all the time that turn into 20-page threads on multiple message boards and drive a ton of traffic (and therefore ad revenue) their way. It lowers the discourse and reputation of sports media in general. I don't get nearly as worked up about it as Doug seems to, but it would be better for everyone if people just ignored Hoopsworld, Hockeybuzz and rumormongering sites of their ilk. Unfortunately, sports fans just can't help themselves... which is why theScore.com just launched its own hockey rumours blog. Hey, if you can't beat 'em, yadda yadda...

Edited to respond to the previous post...

joeyt618 wrote:Whether this rumour has any legs or not, Doug should try to tone down his ranting a tad bit. This will look REALLY bad on his part if this trade does indeed go down.

It's not "going down". The trade doesn't work salary-wise and makes absolutely no sense for the Mavericks. Combine that with the extreme unlikelihood that Bargnani is even on the trade block and I can say with assurance this trade was made up. This isn't like the Smitch situation where Doug couldn't see through his own biases. I predicted that Smitch would be fired in December and now I'm going to state with certainty that this trade will not happen and has not even been discussed.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Post#20 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:57 pm

BC was on the Fan yesterday and said that he has no intention of trading Bargnani. Said he hasn't even discussed Bargs in any trade talks. He's receiving offers, but hasn't made any according to him.

Return to Toronto Raptors