ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Mike Conley

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

OT- Mike Conley 

Post#1 » by 99 Problems » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:13 am

I've been wondering about this guy for a while, I haven't forgotten that he was the fourth pick in the 2007 draft.. Yesterday he sucked, and the last season he was pretty bad..

I don't know what to think about him, he's only 21 so you can't really call him a bust.. But I don't really see what the hype is about him.. When I watched him at Ohio State he didn't stand out at all, so I was shocked when he was picked fourth.. I honestly think he piggybacked on the Greg Oden hype, and that maybe he isn't as good as people perceived him to be..

Where do you see his career heading?

When Mike Conley entered the NBA after his freshman season at Ohio State, the former Lawrence North High School star knew he was in for a year of serious learning.

Turns out, a player's first year in the NBA is more like a Ph.D. program than casual graduate school work.

"You learn more in that year about the game of basketball than you do in your whole life," he said.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2008122 ... /812260369
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Re: OT- Mike Conley 

Post#2 » by boshjonesford » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:17 am

Ya doesn't really have that much upside...... the best case sanario for me is a TJ ford, and maybe but very unlikely a tony parker (remember he used to suck when he first came to the league)

But the guy that was really a bust was Adam Morrison. i remember when we had the number one pick there wore talks about brining this guy in because he was avraging 25 ppgs, thank god we didnt get this guy.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#3 » by 5DOM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 am

+1
I didnt like him in college at all.
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#4 » by Assassin_1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 am

Downhill
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#5 » by [SJJ] » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:26 am

I remember scratching my head when i was looking at the mock drafts prior to the draft, i couldnt understand why people were so high on him.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#6 » by Southward1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 am

He was overrated because he played with a great center, and in College Oden was great. It's the perfect case of a guy declaring after having a strong March Madness

I remember early on in the season he was ranked like 14-20, and a lot people didn't think he was better than Ty Lawson. Than he played really well for like 2 and a half weeks and everybody was riding his jock. Nevermind he has a scoring mentality and can't shoot , or the fact he's not a great creator for his teammates. He's got good speed, a good handle, but scoring point guards who can't shoot and don't have a go to move when they're driving aren't going to do well. He's also undersized for that matter.

Tj ford was easily a better prospect and arguable a better college player. I never got the love for Conley, I always pictured a guy who average 12/6 on ok percentages.
blizzah
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#7 » by blizzah » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 am

He'll get traded to portland....

To ride the bench and keep their man Oden happy and feed him the ball....

during practice.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#8 » by Avenger » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:05 am

i remember some non-raptor fans saying he was TJ ford with a jumpshot and no attitude
Realm_G
Senior
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Realm_G » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:10 am

boshjonesford wrote:tony parker (remember he used to suck when he first came to the league)

No he didn't, he started for the majority of his rookie season and made all-rookie team. I'd say something like Felton or Ridnour.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#10 » by 5DOM » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:12 am

Southward1 wrote:Tj ford was easily a better prospect and arguable a better college player. I never got the love for Conley, I always pictured a guy who average 12/6 on ok percentages.

of course TJ was a better college player.
he was the player of the year, and had his jersey # retired at texas
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#11 » by Southward1 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:16 am

5DOM wrote:
Southward1 wrote:Tj ford was easily a better prospect and arguable a better college player. I never got the love for Conley, I always pictured a guy who average 12/6 on ok percentages.

of course TJ was a better college player.
he was the player of the year, and had his jersey # retired at texas

Conley was on a better Ohio State team, and was a year younger than ford, but yeah Ford was a better college player.

Also the raymond felton comparison is pretty much right on, and Felton has better size.
Buyaka
Assistant Coach
And1: 420

Post#12 » by Buyaka » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:22 am

He is a talented PG who is only 21, but seems to be forcing his play. Remember, few teams gave up on Billups too early. I think the Griz needs a few vets to groom these young players.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#13 » by Kurtz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:29 am

Conley did carry that Ohio team, considering how many injuries/how foul prone Oden was. He was really great at distributing the ball for 3.5 quarters, and then taking over with scoring at the end of the game.

He's really struggled so far, but Buyaka's right, he's probably just in need of better tutorship. I wager he'll turn into a solid starter eventually.
imgrindin247
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#14 » by imgrindin247 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:40 am

He didn't have a bad rookie year. He was out for a while to start the year with an injured shoulder, but he played decent in the games he played in. He's just having a very disappointing 2nd year where he's regressed much like Bargnani did. I think part of the problem is the system they run in Memphis. He becomes just a jump shooter, because they run a lot of iso's either in the post or for Mayo and Gay. Shooting just isn't his strength of his, he's a good drive and kick point guard and can finish inside with a crafty floater with either hand.

I think it's too early to write him off right now, but more than likely he will need to get on another team for him to realize his potential. He has every tool a good point guard needs, he just needs to put it together.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#15 » by Nolan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:47 am

Conley was one of those players that had a good March in the NCAA and that carried over into the draft. I'm not saying that he's a bad player but he was a bad pick by Memphis.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#16 » by andyo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:25 am

He's not as bad as you guys make him out to be. He has upside greater then any of the PG's mentioned, great work ethic and his handles are off the charts. He just needs time to learn the game, and he's not in the right situation. I'm sure if he had tutorship under any high level PG...he'd grow much faster... he has star potential....but anyways, I think he'll settle into a good starting role.

Return to Toronto Raptors