ImageImageImageImageImage

Bargnani commits to Italy in 2009 Qualifier Torunament

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Section 312
Starter
And1: 0

Bargnani commits to Italy in 2009 Qualifier Torunament 

Post#1 » by Section 312 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/01/18/no_break_in_campaign/?page=3

Raptors forward Andrea Bargnani has committed to helping his native Italy qualify for the 2010 world championships in Turkey. Italy will compete against Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Finland, and Portugal Aug. 5-30 for one available spot into the EuroBasket competition in Poland Sept. 7-20. A good showing at EuroBasket can solidify one of six spots for European teams at the 2010 world championships. Bargnani said Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari is also expected to play for Italy.

"Now we have to try to qualify for the European championships this summer," Bargnani said. "We have to do it or it will be very bad. I'm playing."

Good move - it's time that Bargnani becomes the first option for Team Italia in a high profile event.

If he combines improving his body this summer and has a good tournament, his confidence should be sky-high for next year.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Re: Bargnani commits to Italy in 2009 Qualifier Torunament 

Post#2 » by There There » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Maybe he can sneak Gallinari and Belinelli in his suitcase on his way back here next season :)
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#3 » by itbobby007 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Agreed. Jose was a new man after his national team experience. Bosh to a lesser extent.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,534

Post#4 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:35 pm

This didn't work out too well last time.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#5 » by killerbs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:37 pm

mgd wrote:Maybe he can sneak Gallinari and Belinelli in his suitcase on his way back here next season :)

Naaa BC will figure that one out along with Maurizio...
Judas Priest
Junior

Post#6 » by Judas Priest » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Now that Bargnani has settled in, this is fine with me.
New Joey is Born!
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#7 » by There There » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm

itbobby007 wrote:Agreed. Jose was a new man after his national team experience. Bosh to a lesser extent.

Bosh has hit a snag, but it can't be dismissed that he came out of the gates this year playing at a very elite level.

I'm still of the mind that with further improvement by Bargnani, and a wing capable of creating more offense, Bosh will not have to be so relied upon on the offensive end and can focus more of his attention on the defensive end.

Bosh proved in the Olympics this year that he has the ability on the defensive it's just a matter of applying the energy and focus necessary; it's hard to point to a guy to be your go to guy on both ends of the court. Bosh's sole focus in the Olympics was on the defensive end; anything he provided on the offensive end was gravy.

It's no coincidence that LeBron has elevated his defensive game to new heights in the same year that he's become less relied upon on the offensive end.
Ari Gold
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#8 » by Ari Gold » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm

If he keeps playing the way he is playing for the remainder of the season I am ok with this. I would just stress the importance of working on his body and post up game aside from his national team schedual.
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#9 » by bargs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

andrea !! Stay away from italia NT !! ...you need at least another year of training camp!! forget about itay now and estabilish yourself as a legit starter for the raps!!

damn!! this could be a disater !!
beno
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by beno » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Yea bargs, I hope he plays a big part of it. I wish Bosh had a bigger part in USA team...but they are stacked:(
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#11 » by nizaam » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:35 pm

mgd wrote:
itbobby007 wrote:Agreed. Jose was a new man after his national team experience. Bosh to a lesser extent.

Bosh has hit a snag, but it can't be dismissed that he came out of the gates this year playing at a very elite level.

I'm still of the mind that with further improvement by Bargnani, and a wing capable of creating more offense, Bosh will not have to be so relied upon on the offensive end and can focus more of his attention on the defensive end.

Bosh proved in the Olympics this year that he has the ability on the defensive it's just a matter of applying the energy and focus necessary; it's hard to point to a guy to be your go to guy on both ends of the court. Bosh's sole focus in the Olympics was on the defensive end; anything he provided on the offensive end was gravy.

It's no coincidence that LeBron has elevated his defensive game to new heights in the same year that he's become less relied upon on the offensive end.

A 3 month snag! trade bosh soon plz for joe johnson! i want a real duo on this team. or trade bargs cuz he has high value now. Just plz get a clutch player!
Singh is King
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#12 » by Singh is King » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm

bargs wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

andrea !! Stay away from italia NT !! ...you need at least another year of training camp!! forget about itay now and estabilish yourself as a legit starter for the raps!!

yea i was hoping he would spend all summer on his game, he needs to still work on his post ups
Blue Jays Forum Where all the cool people post
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#13 » by execoftheyear » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:44 pm

who's coaching the Italian team?
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#14 » by RolloTommasi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:56 pm

what

are you serious ??
RolloTommasi
Bench Warmer
And1: 194

Post#15 » by RolloTommasi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:57 pm

execoftheyear wrote:who's coaching the Italian team?

Carlo "Charlie" Recalcati
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#16 » by kavan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm

More games, more expirence may be a better player? He could use this to improve his game and every bit counts some times you can only shoot so many shots or run so many laps untill you need the real game speed action.
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#17 » by Yosemite Dan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't feel comfortable with this because it adds another excuse if Bargs regresses next year. He had a good 8 game run but the last 3 games has been sub par offensively and he seems to be getting back to his old habits of hanging around the perimeter and blindly driving to the basket. He had a good run but we are 4-8 in that span so it's not like his play has made us win. I'm not quite ready to annoint the guy as a star yet.
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#18 » by bargs » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 pm

RolloTommasi wrote:

what

are you serious ??

si sono serio, i'm serious!!...euro basketball is a joke compared to what he needs to improve his game, i admit it would be a disaster for andrea.

he's getting comfortable with usa basketball day after day and taking him off this summer for playing in europe it's a dumb decision.

i'm not mad, i still think he must be a corepiece of italian NT but he's useless until he proves himself as an elite nba player....i hope you understand me. :wink:
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#19 » by Charlie_S » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 pm

RolloTommasi wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:who's coaching the Italian team?

Carlo "Charlie" Recalcati

:(

Return to Toronto Raptors